Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Touring or Track MODEL

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 02:20 PM
Primaltone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I knew less weight and 1/2" in the rear might make a difference, but I never would have figured that it could be that much.

One of the reasons I decided to get the Track was that I liked the wheels and they are very light: 8.1kg (17.9lb) for the front, and 8.3kg (18.3lb) for the rear. Any loss of unsprung weight is always good. I have no idea what the 18's on the other Z's weigh. I got this info from japanparts.com.

I've always liked leather, so upgraded my seats.

So far, I have no regrets at all. I like driving again.
Old 07-17-2003, 02:43 PM
AustinTX_350Z

Originally posted by Primaltone
I knew less weight and 1/2" in the rear might make a difference, but I never would have figured that it could be that much.

One of the reasons I decided to get the Track was that I liked the wheels and they are very light: 8.1kg (17.9lb) for the front, and 8.3kg (18.3lb) for the rear. Any loss of unsprung weight is always good. I have no idea what the 18's on the other Z's weigh. I got this info from japanparts.com.

I've always liked leather, so upgraded my seats.

So far, I have no regrets at all. I like driving again.
Ditto ... ditto ... and, oh yeah, ditto! And another reason ... the spoilers ...
Old 02-27-2004, 06:19 AM
thatpreludeguy

Sorry to bring back a really old thread but after reading last months M/T they say the track has a different (read harsh) suspension then the Touring that had previously tested. This is in the RX8, 350Z, and S2K shootout issue. Has anyone compared part #'s to verify if the springs/shocks are the same through all models?

I've been looking at enthusiast models but if the Touring is a little more cushy I might be intrested in going that route. Also are all the tires RE040's (17's, 18's, and the 18's on the track models?) across the Z line up?
Old 02-27-2004, 08:12 AM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nope, the suspension is the same on all trim levels. The only "drive-line" difference in the Track is the Ray's wheels and the Brembo brake package.

From an "on-track" perspective, I've heard that the 17" wheels are better (smaller rolling circumference= higher HP (or is it Torque?) numbers at the wheels (which also equates to a lower top-speed at redline), but the Brembo's won't fade as easily as the stock brakes.

One thing I find interesting is why they didn't cross-drill the rotors for the track model. Gas build-up between the pads and the discs being a main reason for fade, you'd think they would have added this feature to make the Brembo offering even more effective....I'd guess that because of the fact that none of the trade-mags' test vehicles for repeated stopping ability (i.e. hot brakes), from a marketing standpoint, cross-drilling the rotors doesn't gain much attraction...

The owners manual has manufacturer information for lot's more makers than just bridgestone, which makes me wonder if Nissan doesn't cut-n-paste that section of the manual into the manuals of all of their vehicles, but so far, I've not seen any posts with people saying their car came with anything other than the RE040's.
Old 02-27-2004, 08:26 AM
exoticxbabyx350

for an everyday car. go for touring. but specifically for performance. for track.
Old 02-27-2004, 08:46 AM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll second Jenn's input on this....The higher cost of the car, the higher cost of rubber and the lack of amenities on the Track probably aren't worth it if you don't intend to make it to the track at least once or twice a year. I kinda like the carbon cloth because it holds onto your backside a little more than slippery leather....I wonder if Suede would be a good compromise.......
Old 02-27-2004, 08:54 AM
shimz350z

Originally posted by Primaltone
Why are so many people under the impression that the Track model has a different suspension? I've kept up with the long term 350Z Track model on Edmunds.com, and they too are convinced that the Touring model has a softer, more compliant ride than the Track. I've emailed them with this question, but have as of yet received no response.

I own a Track model and I test drove a Touring model. I coudn't tell a difference in the suspension.
i really believe it's because of the way the leather seats feel
-maybe it absorbs more shock a tad slightly?
Old 02-27-2004, 09:06 AM
shimz350z

one more imput... really don't think stock rims justify the curves of the z. the z has nice shoulders huggin the wheel well that it is required for you to find new shoes i think "austintx" was saying a similar thing.

so you best be getting some new pair of shoes(rims) on the list to match your hugoboss suit(z).

ps.s I WANT THAT STOCK SPOILER!~~~~ AUSTINTX is ABSOLUTELY CORRECT! the stock spoiler adds a perfect accent to the car.
Old 02-27-2004, 11:08 AM
roark

Originally posted by kcobean
I'll second Jenn's input on this....The higher cost of the car, the higher cost of rubber and the lack of amenities on the Track probably aren't worth it if you don't intend to make it to the track at least once or twice a year. I kinda like the carbon cloth because it holds onto your backside a little more than slippery leather....I wonder if Suede would be a good compromise.......
I was concerned about my leather seats at the track and Auto-X, but got a great tip from an M3 guy. He puts MacGuire's leather cleaner and conditioner on his leather seats a day BEFORE the event, and guess what, the grip is fantastic. And, conditioning your leather periodically is always a good idea anyway.

My leather still looks like the day I picked it up, no creases or dry spots, even on the outboard driver's seat pad, where the most wear usually occurs on leather seats.

I don't want to hijack the thread so I'll say that I originally wanted a Track model, then started thinking of the things I really wanted as a daily driver; heated leather seats, good stereo (OK, so that didn't turn out...) 6 CD changer, etc. I can easily add a big brake package later (and I 'm going to this spring) but adding back all the touring stuff was far too much work. So, I got the touring 6MT with every flippin' option and I'm glad I did.

Now if I can only find someone who's really selling off their Track Brembo kit, I'll be a happy man.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:00 PM
Philip

Originally posted by roark
I was concerned about my leather seats at the track and Auto-X, but got a great tip from an M3 guy. He puts MacGuire's leather cleaner and conditioner on his leather seats a day BEFORE the event, and guess what, the grip is fantastic. And, conditioning your leather periodically is always a good idea anyway.

My leather still looks like the day I picked it up, no creases or dry spots, even on the outboard driver's seat pad, where the most wear usually occurs on leather seats.

I don't want to hijack the thread so I'll say that I originally wanted a Track model, then started thinking of the things I really wanted as a daily driver; heated leather seats, good stereo (OK, so that didn't turn out...) 6 CD changer, etc. I can easily add a big brake package later (and I 'm going to this spring) but adding back all the touring stuff was far too much work. So, I got the touring 6MT with every flippin' option and I'm glad I did.

Now if I can only find someone who's really selling off their Track Brembo kit, I'll be a happy man.
I bought a Track Model w/nav, I don't have time to do aftermarket mods (brakes etc) I like the car the way it is and it's all waranteed, I had the dealer install a Nismo Cat back exhaust and I don't reget anything about buying the Track model, in fact i love it!
Old 02-27-2004, 03:26 PM
thatpreludeguy

Thanks everyone, a local dealer just quoted me $26,900 for a black on black enthusiast with side curtain airbags and aluminum door sills. It seems like a good price to me considering the MSRP is about $2k more. Now I just need to move my Prelude. The funny thing was I had thought I needed to spend $30+k to get the car I want and now I can get a new '04 for the same price I was willing to spend on a used Z.