Why exactly I will never buy another STILLEN product

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 01:59 PM
PhilGood

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Why exactly I will never buy another STILLEN product

Horror story shared with you folks:

http://www.b15sentra.net/forums/show...threadid=62712

Two months ago I bought a Stillen exhaust. When I recieved it and installed it on my car I noticed a rattle coming from the exhaust. Not trusting my amauter asessment I took it to several muffler shops and had them asess the problem. Every last shop said that there was a weld broken inside the muffler and that when the exhaust pushed through the muffler, that it produced a high frequency metal on metal buzz. I contacted the place that I originally bought it from and they said unfortunatly I have to deal with the manufacturer as it falls under their warrenty. So I call stillen and speak to ANDREW at ext 174. I explained my situation to him and he told me that I have to send him my exhuast so he can evaluate it and either repair it or send me a new one in the case that it is unrepairable. I asked what I was supposed to do inthe mean time he told me that this was company policy. I said okay I understand, I don't agree but I understand. So I tell him I'm going to get a temperary replacement and then I will call him back to begin the return process. I bought a cheap muffler to replace it and I called ANDREW again. He was not there so I left him a voicemail. I had to leave town for two weeks so I left instructions with my wife as to what to do when he calls back. Upon my return I expected to see my new muffler I asked where it was and my wife says he never called back. So I call STILLEN again and talk to ANDREW and he says "oh sorry about that I forgot bro." (word for word quote) He then proceeds to tell me that I have to pay to ship the muffler back to him to get it covered by "warrenty". I asked why and he said he really didn't know. I asked if he could transfer me to somebody that could answer my question and he said sure and transferred my to JOSH GREENFIELD a customer service supervisor. After explaining my story to JOSH he said "thats just the way things are and you have to deal with it." I asked him "don't you find it a little odd that I have to pay over $100 in shipping to return and recieve back a defective "warrentied" part that only cost $300?" he said "yeah but I don't know why, its not my call." I asked to speak to his boss. he said "sure hang on I'll get my boss BILL CLATER he is the customer service manager of STILLEN the entire corparation. BILL CLATER picks up the phone and immediately begins the conversation in a hostile tone. I began to explain my situation to him and he cut me off in mid-sentance with this "look michael our policy is not to pay for shipping and thats the way it is." I asked him if that made sense on a consumer to buisness level? He said "look michael I'm not gonna debate with you about an exhuast I'm too busy. you can send it back or you can keep it the choice is yours." I asked him if I could ship the part to him and when in fact it was found defective if they could reimburse me he said "No we don't do that." I asked why. he said "look either ship it or keep it the choice is yours I don't care what you do. Our products will sell regardless. heres are address the choice is yours!" and then he hung up on me."

I never once raised my voice. I was talked to like I was 12. And on top of it all he hung up on me.

This is the customer service manager we are talking about.

Everything in quotations on this post is verbatem what they said.

You know hes right the choice is mine I will never buy another stillen product.

I will make it my mission in life to tell everyone I know.

Thank you for reading my post if you can give me links to every other nissan board you can think of I would be grateful.
Old 07-31-2003, 02:09 PM
zwindsor
Twisty addict

You will find that most all companies will not pay for the shipping from the customer back to the factory. Our company doesn't and if you look at most warranty agreements on just about all retail products (and ours isn't) you'll see that. It sucks but it's standard practice.
Old 07-31-2003, 02:27 PM
failsafe
....for your health

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by zwindsor
You will find that most all companies will not pay for the shipping from the customer back to the factory. Our company doesn't and if you look at most warranty agreements on just about all retail products (and ours isn't) you'll see that. It sucks but it's standard practice.
Ditto at our company- warranties do not typically cover shipping. On the other hand it sounds like Stillen's customer service was anything but.......wow, what a shocker. Stillen has a pretty big reputation for their lack of customer service and general disregard for their customers. Chalk up another dissatisfied "Steallin" customer.
Sorry to hear about your situation. I would get the Stillen repaired, sell it on ebay and pick up an exhaust from a company that listens to it's customers and actively participates in the community- like Borla or Injen. I'd also write a letter to addressed to Steve Millen and explain how you were treated on the phone (regardless of company policy). I would explain to him that because of this treatment they have lost all of your future business and that you will share your story with as many Z owners as possible through internet forums.
You likely won't get a response but you'll reiterate a general consensus in the Nissan community; that Stillen has a complete disregard for how their paying customers should be treated.

Last edited by failsafe; 07-31-2003 at 02:37 PM.
Old 07-31-2003, 02:27 PM
PhilGood

Tirerack.com does. And btw, if you go through the thread, there are more complains...
Old 07-31-2003, 02:52 PM
JJL290

Thank you for That INFO. I will stand by you and never purchase anything from them

NO customer should be treated like that
Old 07-31-2003, 03:04 PM
DruDragzOn

Just the manner in which they handled it was rude. I don't care if it was standard policy. They could have handled it better. I'm glad you shared this with us.
Old 07-31-2003, 03:18 PM
D'oh

If I were Stillen I'd fire my Customer Service department and replace them with a recording that just says, "Tough Crap, Sucker!"

Think of all the money they'd save by simply having a phone system that could do the work that at least three people are currently doing.

-D'oh!
Old 07-31-2003, 03:25 PM
bshockley

Originally posted by zwindsor
No offense to you personally, but just because it's "standard practice" doesn't mean it's ok. Personally, I wouldn't want to work for a company that does that as "standard practice".

If I owned a company I wouldn't do that as "standard practice".

In general:

It is a shame that for the the later part of the 90s and start of 00s that the economy was so good. It meant that businesses, especially those in the retail forgot what good customer service meant. They didn't have to, who cares, people were spending like crazy and one un happy customer didn't bother anything. Maybe now the economy is starting to take a dive, it will change. Companies might realize that people are getting more picky about where and how the spend their money.

For the most part, I see this (bad customer service) every day. I every once and a while see good customer service though.

Take, for instance, my experience with Circuit City. About this time last year I purchased a Sony HDTV from them. I was only 22 at the time. Did I have to go find a sales person willing to help me? No, I was approached nicely. The sales rep was very honest and helped with the purchase the entire way. I got 0% intrest finacing on it and had her delivered. About 4 days after I received the TV, I was watching a show and the TV just turns off. I hit the power again and nothing happens, just a blinking red LED in front. This was late Thursday. I call on Friday during lunch break and talk with the service rep. I had planned on asking for a new TV instead of sending it in for repair, but didn't have to. The guy said, "Oh we don't try to repair a TV if it's that new and something like that happens. We just replace them." I then asked when they could get that done. "How does tomorrow sound?" Great, except I was going to be outta town. So I asked about Sunday. "Sure we can do it Sunday." sure enough, that Sunday, two guys came out, hauled the old TV down the stairs, and hauled the new one up. I signed a peice of paper and all was done. Best damn experience ever.
Old 07-31-2003, 03:27 PM
___DJK___

Damn, I hope that makes people think twice about the Stillen supercharger. Imagine having to deal with customer service on that one!
Old 07-31-2003, 03:28 PM
cincyspider

You know what I would do...send it back to them and write a letter to your credit card company that you are deducting the amount paid to Stillen because it was defective merchandise that you returned...and you will not pay for.

Yea, you're still out the shipping....but then you can buy a Borlan and still come out ahead.

And if someone from Stillen is reading this...you already got my money for a front grille...but don't expect anymore business from me. Your attitude sucks ***!!
Old 07-31-2003, 03:58 PM
DmitryZ

PhilGood

It is painful to see when a company with such a big name treats their customers like crap. I realize that no business can claim a 100% customer satisfaction. There will always be those people who are impossible to satisfy. Unfortunately your story with Stillen is beginning to become a frequent occurrence. I've heard horror stories about Stillen's customer service from Maxima and 300ZX guys and there are more stories floating around this forum.

I have long ago decided that I will never buy anything from Stillen ever again because I don't want to go through the same thing. Steeve Millen's racing glory is but a faint memory to most people these days. Personally, I think they are starting to fall short with some of their products. With the economy the way it is and the ever growing popularity of internet forums, Stillen will have to realize pretty soon that their customers is what makes their name tick today. If they don't, bye-bye - I personally won't miss them at all.

Dmitry
Old 07-31-2003, 04:01 PM
zeroday

wow thanks for the post. I'll definitely think twice before giving them any more of my money. Poor customer service is inexcusable regardless of the policy. I can't believe the guy actually hung up on you. Unreal.
Old 07-31-2003, 04:27 PM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

They sell a lot of product and probably get a lot of calls from young guys tryin out mercandise. Nonetheless that attitude sucks especially from a customer service manager. There are enough competitive products to buy out there from companies that appreciate their customers. I say f*ck 'em buy from the other guys.
Old 07-31-2003, 05:21 PM
N74DV

I sure as **** won't send my $$ their way. I've heard way too many negative things about Stillen.
Old 07-31-2003, 05:46 PM
350zroadster

whaaaaaa? you don't like $tillen?

they've been breathing in too much paint fumes anyway, if they expect their customer to cut into the hood to fit their SuperCharger kit.
Old 07-31-2003, 06:13 PM
wsmiii

Sorry to hear about your poor experience and thanks for sharing also, I work in a customer service (technical) environment and would probably be fired if i were to treat a customer like that. Actually Stillen is real close to me but with what you shared I would not purchase product with a company with that attitude. We typically do not pay to have our defective products returned either however, we are given latitude if a customer is 'upset' and we'll give them a 3rd party account number to use. They should have the same policy and at the very least have been professional. Best of luck working it out.

-Will
Old 07-31-2003, 07:25 PM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$tealin.......they steal your money by making overpriced unreliable parts, not to mention their customer service dept.

then they create that monstrosity dubbed SMZ with the humpty dumpty hood and the the big fish mouth.

the only thing i give them props for is their body kits. it's urethane.
Old 07-31-2003, 07:49 PM
ZON

I am a customer service/field service guy. I would get fired within 10 seconds of my company hearing about me being rude to a customer. Thankfully I realize that and I will never let that happen. And oh, by the way Mr. Millen, I will never buy any product from your company, especially that hideous SMZ kit you make (OMG), and never have thanks to the internet forums.

Last edited by ZON; 07-31-2003 at 07:53 PM.
Old 07-31-2003, 10:56 PM
fairladyZ in Japan

Default Simply unbelievable !

This customer service episode could be used as a case study for any company on what NOT to do.

And to hang up on any customer for whatever the reason... it is just not done.

It is so difficult to win a customer.... and so easy to loose. And to win back the customer and his trust is very time consuming and costly (if it can be done at all).

This thread alone has lost them countless customers -- and the fact that everybody who reads it will tell 10 friends -- well, anybody can do the math.

I simply do not understand Stillen .
Old 08-01-2003, 12:57 AM
g35mt

I am very sorry to hear what you went thru. After hearing what you went thru and others that i have know off, i will never once in my entire buy stuff from Stillen, dang Stealers!!!!

In the future, if anyone of you decide to buy something, buy it with an American Express Card. If the store don't take it back, call Amex up and they will fight for you. This is the same reason why a lot of company doesn't take Amex card because Amex is known for good service. I had a situation where i bought this amplifier from a company in New York. After 2 weeks later, i install the amp and it sound like crap. The item was a clearance item and i was able to still return it by calling AMEX up. I had a similar situation happen when i pay thru VISA card, they weren't that much helpful. That is why when i purschase stuff, i used AMEX. Only well oriented customer service establishment take Amex card.

In you case, if you have charge it on your Amex. Stillen would have gotten screw cause Amex take the money back from Stillen and credit you back.

BTW, i don't work for Amex but i just want to share my experience with you.

g35mt

Quick Reply: Why exactly I will never buy another STILLEN product