Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

I drove the EU Z and the USA Z

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 02:23 PM
RPT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I drove the EU Z and the USA Z

I bought my Z end of March (delivery Oct. 2003), earlier the Dutch Nissan importer has send me the official document concerning the technical changes, interior and exterior changes etc.. Earlier I posted this document, send to me through the European Nissan importer, on MY350ZCOM

Untill now i did't see or drove a Z and reading postings on several American Z sites concerning the problems some experiences with there Z, problems with feathering, gearbox, windows, seats, suspension (bumpy ride) and other insignificante problems my buyers remorse was growing. Last week I had the unique opportunity to drive the USA version, imported by an Nissan dealer, and the EU version, with 13.000 (test) Km on it. The diferences between the two are tangible, Gearbox works fabulous, after retuning the suspension it drives almost better then our BMW M3. The radio console is in Black and not in grey. They improved the Bose sound system and all the black buttons no longer glosses but are in "mat" black. In the USA Z you can see the luggage through the rear window, in the EU Z is a blind that hides your luggage, like in the 300Z. I give the USA Z an 8+ and the EU Z an 9.

I almost cancelled my (Z) order begin this month and was already negotiating with the Chrysler dealer (Crossfire) and the Audi dealer (3.0 A4 cabrio), now i'm pleased with my decision to stick with the Z.

Last edited by RPT; 08-01-2003 at 02:36 PM.
Old 08-02-2003, 08:27 AM
FrankieZZ

The European Z's will be different ( electric side mirrors , tire wheel packages etc . ). They have sorted out many of the US problems , too . However , they may still be down on horsepower . Here's a good website for you that is more in tune with the cars you are getting: www.350zuk.com .

FrankieZZ
PS UK delivery was scheduled for October , also , but it seems to be delayed .
Old 08-02-2003, 08:50 AM
dutchZ

He RPT,
Ik heb een amerikaanse en heb nog geen enkele problemen gehad. Natuurlijk is hij strak afgeveerd, dat hoort zo bij dit type auto's. Vergeet niet:vergeleken met amerikaanse vering is alles stug... (ik kan het weten, ik woon hier). Bovendien kunnen de meesten hier niet met een handgeschakelede bak overweg.
Het is een prachtauto , laat je niet ompraten
Groetjes

Translation: I do not have any of the complaints everybody keeps talking about. Seems like drivers are trying to find anything that is bad about the car instead of enjoying what is good about it.
We all know what happens, one complains, more follow...
Yes, the suspension is stiff, it is suposed to be that way (it's not a SUV). And all the complaints about the MT, I do get the impression a lot of people do not know how to drive a stick...
Old 08-05-2003, 02:46 PM
RPT

Default hello DutchZ

Hello DutchZ,

Thanks for your reply and congratulations with your (new ?) Z.

As written in the first posting, I still have, little, buyers’ remorse.

The impact of the negative postings through American Z owners is not slight. Comparing the price that they or you pay for a Touring or Track with the price we pay for a 350Z Pack, € 57.000 incl. Leather, Brembo Brakes, Bose, Ray Wheels, Telephone integration, curtain airbags, NAV and Alarm, taxes and handling costs. I thought o my G.. what have I done?.

I bought a Volvo S60 diesel for my work and sold back my (three year old) M3 to my BMW dealer, after my holiday the M3 is gone. I trade in my (four year old) Z3 coupe on the 350Z. What is parked mid October 2003 in front of my house a Nissan 350Z, a car that Nissan compares with the Boxster, TT and the Chrysler Crossfire or a 350Z with the price of the Audi 3,2 TT but with the quality and handling of the wanabee coupe from Hyundai.

Thanks for your short but clear answer. My test-drives with both also helped me also to get, a little bit, of the Z spirit back.

Question: which type Z do you own and delivered when. Are you content whit the Bose system.

Have you ever seen a Z with Xpel clear bra, if so is it, to your opinion, interfering or almost not visible, I’m thinking of buying the Xpel CB in the States, also because of the many complaints concerning ALL the paint chips on the front of the Z, even after a few thousand miles. This product is not available in NL.

Many greetings from a very sunny and hot Holland.

Bye,
Raymond
Old 08-05-2003, 02:58 PM
RPT

Default FrankyZZ

Thanks FrankyZZ, also for recommanding the UK Z site. Since yesterday I'm a member of your UK site (RPT is my user name). Nice photo's of the int. and ext. of the European Z.

I hope that you are wrong concerning the delay of the delivery time. Our Nissan importer told me, for two weeks, that my Z should or will be delivered directly after the introduction of the Z on 4 and 5 October at the Beurs van Berlage in Amsterdam.

Bye and hope to read more from you at the UK site.

Raymond
Old 08-05-2003, 06:18 PM
dutchZ

RPT,
I have a Touring in Chrome Silver (Silver in Europe). I'm very happy with it. It's a very smooth car, it runs real nice.
About the Bose: my 350 was made in januari '03 (I bought it in may). It has already the Bose fix, I must say it's not the best audio system you can buy for your car. Actually I bought a Kenwood radio in Holland which is in my wife's Grand Cherokee, and that radio sound better than the Bose in my car...
But to be honest I don't care that much, it sounds good enough, I love the in-dash 6 disc changer, and I do not dislike the audio pilot system.
I never have the music very loud because I love the hear the music the car makes (and it is good...)
There will always be people that are not satisfied with the audio system, there are plenty in the States who put thousands of dollars worth of equipment in a car. I'm not like that.

About the comparison with the Audi TT: the 350 is a very good competitor of the TT, personally I think the 350 beats the TT. This also was confirmed in different tests here in the States but also in other countries.
I was always a TT lover, that changed the moment I saw the 350. Not only for me but also for some of my friends who are trading in their TT's for a 350Z.
Please do NOT compare the 350Z with a Hyundai Coupe!!!

About the clearbra: I've read a lot about it but I've never seen one on a 350. I've heard they work fine and are hardly visible but some people have are concerned if it will stay clear and not turn yellow in a couple of years. I do not have one on my car and will not install it neither. I know it will chip, the car is very low to the ground, but that's just life...
I don't think you will need one in Holland.
Attached Thumbnails I drove the EU Z and the USA Z-afbeelding-011-small-.jpg  
Old 08-06-2003, 07:34 AM
Shortbus

I'm getting the 3M clear bra put on my black Z tomorrow morning... I'll let you know my impressions of it after i get it... I think mine includes front bumper, top of hood, side mirrors and door edges....

It's guaranteed not to chip/fade according to Nissan, we'll see about that... I've seen these clear bras on porsches before and they don't look bad at all....

Christian -
Old 08-06-2003, 03:39 PM
RPT

Default clear bra (Christian)

Thank you Christian, i'm curious what your opinion is after they installed the kit on your Z. I have to import the clear bra because this kit is not available in NL or Europe. A company that installs publicity films on cars and car windows will install the kit on my Z, at my own risk of course.

I'm curious to read from you if the kit is installed through professionals and if you are content with the results.
Old 08-07-2003, 04:50 AM
Shortbus

It's kinda weird because I got this kit when i bought the car from the dealership, but they get it put on at a tinting place. Although the bra kit (covers bumper, front of hood, side mirrors and door edges) will have a lifetime warranty from the dealership...

They're puttin it on today so i'll post a follow up in a couple of days maybe...

Christian -
Old 08-07-2003, 02:02 PM
RPT

Default To DutchZ

DutchZ,,

VERY NICE picture, this CS looks very metallic.

Official i bought two Z's, one in DB and one in CS. We ordered the Z from PROMO pictures but as the info i get from Z sites is right the CS color on your Z is different than the CS on Nissans promo Z, the car they showed on their site begin this year. First after arrival i decide which color i prefer. Now it's 60% CS and 40% DB, bye the way 80% of all Porsches 911 that are sold and delivered this year in NL, G, B are Silver metallic. The dealers overhere can only order ONE Z as showroom car. My dealer is pleased with my (two) orders. Now he can sell the Z i reject direct to an other. The quotum for 2003 is sold out (where only 80 cars incl. 40 showroom cars and a few promotions cars), all other sold Z's will be delivered after 02-2004.

I also prefer the engine sound(s) more than the sound of a SUPERB car stereo. Is the sound of the Bose system, reasonable, pure and flat and if the Sub is not dominating to much it's Oké to me.

Quote: About the comparison with the Audi TT: the 350 is a very good competitor of the TT, personally I think the 350 beats the TT. This also was confirmed in different tests here in the States but also in other countries.

Do you know in which magazines or on which site(s) i can read these test(s)

Quote: About the clearbra: I've read a lot about it but I've never seen one on a 350. I've heard they work fine and are hardly visible but some people have are concerned if it will stay clear and not turn yellow in a couple of years. I do not have one on my car and will not install it neither. I know it will chip, the car is very low to the ground, but that's just life...

The only reason i think/thought that i need(ed) the clearbra is because of all the complaints concerning the POOR paint they say the Z has.

You wrote: I don't think you will need one in NL. Why, are the roads in the USA so much worse than our roads ??

Bye,
Raymond (RPT)
Old 08-07-2003, 07:32 PM
dutchZ

Hello RPT,
If you want to see comparisons between the Audi TT and the 350Z do a search on the internet. But you may start by looking at this test in www.caranddriver.com :
http://<a href="http://www.caranddri...le_id=1938</a>

I live in Alabama; yes, roads are a lot better in The Netherlands.

Greetz, Remy.

PS: Some Z drivers will tell you that CS is the most common color, it may be true but I think it's the most classy color.
Old 08-08-2003, 02:45 AM
FrankieZZ

Raymond ,

Welcome to the UK site . We hope to hear alot from you in the Netherlands . As to the clear bra , several friends have had it now for 5-6 months and it has proven very reliable . At a certain angle , you may see the horizontal line across the hood ( bonnet ) , but that is about it . As to the paint chipping , as I mentioned in a previous thread , to some extent it has been attributed to the application of waxes and finishes too soon before the paint had time to cure . I personally had the same problem ( I made the mistake of waxing as soon as I got it ) . Modern waxes enter the paint and keep it soft , thus the chips . My 350Z had a few initially , but once the paint had cured it has not been an issue since . Just wait a month or two before you wax it and this should help somewhat . I gave this tip to the Brits as well , and many of then will wait a period of time to avoid this issue . Good luck to you and I'll talk to you on the UK site .

Frank

PS Just this morning I heard that the UK delivery may now be midSeptember , so perhaps that delay that was reported has been corrected !
Old 08-08-2003, 03:50 AM
Shortbus

Default First impressions on clear 3M bra

Well, I got it done last night and I must say I am pretty pleased with the bra itself, so-so pleased with the install... The install is near-perfect, although not prefect, i.e. some lines can be very subtly seen on the bra itself... covered my entire front bumper (goes into all the grooves), a good THIRD of my hood (again, nicely goes into the hood grooves) and my side mirrors. It also covers the side panels all the way to match the hood. I'd say it's worth it in my opinion. The bra itself is clear and can hardly be noticed, unless you're looking at the car in detail. And my car being BLACK, I'd say that's probably the color on which the bra would be mostly noticed (?)

Overall pretty pleased... We'll see in a couple of years...

My suggestion is make sure the installers know what they're doing... In my case def. seems like they knew what they were doing, but didn't quite seem like they took all the time they had to do it...

Christian -