Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

My Test Driving Results: Z vs G vs IS

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2003, 06:02 PM
gooters

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buub, right thread! Your post made perfect sense to me! You took my words.

GO drive the Z again...maybe find a demo model or used model. STOMP on it! You will feel the power over 5K rpms come on nice and smoothly and powerfully. If you still don't like it...try the two Acuras (TSX and RSX S-Type)...both are great cars. Also, try the G35 sedan if you must have a back seat.

If it makes you feel better...the lack of practicality bothered me too...but for me the joy of the drive outweighs the lack of utility.
Old 08-03-2003, 08:30 PM
jaxxxx

This is a 350z forum, so the replys will be a lil bias, get what you like..... The g35c is a great car..after test driving both the g35c and 350z atleast twice each...and doing months of reseach, I have decided to go with the G35c 6spd. With as much time I spent on the dealer and test driving both cars I can conclude that the G35c is like a Z with a better interior and added luxury.
Old 08-03-2003, 08:43 PM
TJZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

since when does the g35 have a "great sound system"?
Old 08-03-2003, 09:25 PM
Buub

Heh no, my nevermind was because I posted something else about some guy looking for another car.
Old 08-04-2003, 12:12 AM
ZMYLIFE

I owned a couple sedan sport cars (BMW, MAX, and Volvo) these cars are practical cars. But I wanted a sport car with bite. My first chose was a Corvette 50th, but didn’t want to spend that kind of money for style that’s kind of old looking at this time ( No I’m not knocking the Vette) I wanted fun, looks and power at a price. That is the 350Z; I have a friend here who is beating his self up we the same chose that you’re making. I don’t know what it is about those worthless little seats in the back; give the 350Z a real chance go test drive another and don’t be scared to put your foot down on the pedal. It will make fall in love all over. Z U

2003 350Z PPW
Old 08-04-2003, 09:14 AM
Micas

I understand where KPZerone is coming from. I was in the same boat, at least as far as my consideration is Z or G35C.

After months of consideration, I've decided to order a Z. I thought a lot about some issues you raised, such as the interior design and luggage space, but I asked myself what I really wanted from the new car I buy. I want a sports car (not sporty car) that has an extreme "wow" factor, in the price range I can afford. That's the Z. I've decided the Z will not be my daily driver, and I'll buy another inexpensive car to get back and forth to work, and to use when I need more space for passengers and luggage, and so forth. Something like maybe a used Altima. The Z will be my prize at the end of the week, when I want to do nothing but drive for drivings sake.

I really think that to buy a Z, you have to feel the love for it. Have you gone to the dealer, and just stood there looking at the car thinking, "I gotta have this"? My answer is yes, I gotta have this car. I test drove one, and the car said to me "You and I will be great friends. You will love me like none other".

When I looked at the G, and sat in it, the car said to me "I'm a nice car, pick me". I didn't have that gotta have it feeling.

If you don't have the Z love, I think the G will be a great car for you.
Old 08-04-2003, 10:43 AM
My_Tampa_Z

After getting my 350 in November, I went and looked at the G coup on a whim. Everyone at the dealership circled around my car and making inquires. The G does not get the kind of attention. I do like the sunroof and longer warranty, Brembos, etc but it wasn't until I was walking back to my car after visting the mall that I knew I had made the right decision. As I approached my car, I looked at it in a differnt light, like it wasn't as beautiful as I had rememered it. What has happened to my car...it's suddenly ugly! As I got closer, I realized I was looking a G35 Coupe parked next to my car. What a releif. It was cool looking at the two cars side by side. The G is nice but not sitt'n next to a Z.
Old 08-04-2003, 12:01 PM
TJZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FYI: please don't complain about the steering being "stiff". You're used to a more boosted power steering. You're dealer was right when he said sports cars are made that way. It provides the driver with feedback on the car's traction. Besides, nobody wants a car you can turn the wheel with your pinky, while going 90 down the freeway.
Old 08-04-2003, 02:29 PM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

I didn't read the whole post, but I'm wondering why you drove an automatic? If you don't know how to drive a stick too well, why don't you learn how, then test the 6MT? Otherwise, IMHO, you're wasting your time & money. If you actually prefer an automatic, then I'm wasting my time and you can please ignore this post.
Old 08-04-2003, 09:10 PM
KPZerone

Thanks for all of your inputs!

nbdyfcnsqnc is right - I should try manual, but the fact is I am new to this Bay area and small number of people I know only drive A/T so I dont get to learn how to drive one unless I pay for the driving lesson. If I get lesson after I get Z, I am afraid that I might damage the car while practicing. (And I presume this lessons is going to be at least $100 per session, and I will need 2 or 3?)

Anyhow, the fact I like G over Z is the dealer service. I really need loaner car service when needed but Nissan does not have that. But I heard that the 3rd party extended warranty companies provide rental car reimbursement, not sure how well this works tho.

Now that Z's price is lower than G's (G Coupe is still on MSRP!!), I think now I am back to 50:50. I think I am going to schedule another test drive for Z sometime this week.
Old 08-04-2003, 10:20 PM
350zroadster

Getting a Z is like dating a stripper, you're not doing it for the practicality.

ps - or atleast that's what I'm told.
Old 08-05-2003, 05:56 AM
Buub

Originally posted by KPZerone
Now that Z's price is lower than G's (G Coupe is still on MSRP!!), I think now I am back to 50:50. I think I am going to schedule another test drive for Z sometime this week.
Just make sure you push the gas pedal all the way to the floor, at least a few times, especially in first and second gear. Oh and make sure there is plenty of open road in front of you when you do so!
Old 08-05-2003, 02:43 PM
Dissident

I just drove the IS300 myself today on my lunch break, and my impression is... Nice, but not worth it over the Z. The only thing I think it had going for it was the fact it had a back seat (so I got somewhere to put my Siberian), and it damn smooth/silent. DEfinately a nice ride.

I wouldn't call it slow by any stretch, and the straight-6 is really silky, and more than adequate, but nothing exciting, either. The 5 speed is a great shifer (except for the scorching aliminum ****), but to be only a 5-speed in a $30K+ car is inexcuseable.

The Swatch-like dash isn't much to look at, and IMO, the controls for the climate and such in the Z fealt better. Exterior styling is again, adequate but nothing to write home about. A little too boy-racer IMO, while the rest of the car feels like is trying to project a more refined Lexus air.. Doesn't quite work for me.

What really kills it for me is that I HAVE to get one of the four "option" packages, all of which have leather, and tons of stuff I don't want, whereas I can get a Z JUST the way I want it (read=enthusiast) for note much more than base (which, is also availble) and I don't have to pay for options I don't want. But for that money, I'd be cross-shopping a BMW 325 if I wanted a sedan....

So, am I gonna spend a couple grand more for a car that has one less gear, less HP, less character and style (IMHO), and is probably going to be significantly restyles in a year (probably tanking this gen's book value), just because it has a back seat? Nah, I'll buy a used pickup for $3K along with the Z. (pretty much the same reasons I'd rather have the Z than the G35, tho I think that is a better value than the IS300, too)

Now, if I could buy it as a Toyota Altezza, with a 6-speed, ~270+ hp, and cloth seats for around $26K, it'd be a different story...

Now, I jsut gotta decide between the RX8 and the Z, but that's another thread.