Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Huge problem with the dealership - UPDATE, New Update

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 08:09 AM
maestro1991

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Huge problem with the dealership - UPDATE, New Update

Hello everyone. I need your advice asap.
I wrote earlier about how my Z wouldn't go past 1,500 rpm. I came out of work, and it was broken, so I dropped it off at the dealer (across the street from work) Came in next day, took the rental and waited.
First they said it was the ECU, then that it was an alternator. Then yesterday (after nearly 2 weeks) they called me, and said that they found some chewed wires and the work won't be covered under warranty. On top of that, they want me to pay for the rental (14 days at about $40 a day)
So I need your advice on:
1. It's not my fault that it took them 2 weeks to find a chewed wire. Do I have a case about fighting with them for the fee on a rental.
2. They told me that it would be about 2k to fix. Is it even possible that if some wires were chewed, that it would blow up the ECU?
3. I still have to pay $1000 deductible, but since car was vandalized while on company property, shouldn't it be covered by company's insurance?
What you do think?

Update #2
Got a copy of my bill. $2,741.50
In detail:
ECM - $1,133.26 + 840 labor (wasn't broken, they change it due to bad diagnosis)
Alternator - $414.61 (wasn't broken, they change it due to bad diagnosis)
O2 sensor - $226.00 (that was the only thing that was wrong, I don't have any problems with paying for that)
Shop supplies - $20.00
Tax - $107.63

Besides that car was dropped off on 19th, and since the o2 sensor was chewed by an animal, they expect me to pay for rental for all that time (even thou they did recalls which I didn't even authorize).
Does anyone knows who I should discuss it with at nissan (I'm already looking for a lawyer) People at the dealership are useless. They "don't necessarily disagree" with me, but are not helpful. (Maybe they hope I just give up and pay) I did a claim with AAA, and adjuster is concern, because he knows that it was unnecessary to replace alternator)

Update:
Talked to service rep; he told me that the harness for oxygen sensor was chewed, and that cause ECU and ALTERNATOR to blow up. And they want me to pay for all of that. Just to remind, they hd the car for two weeks, trying to figure out what's wrong with it. They told me before, that they replaced ECU, alternator, and that didn't help.
In my opinion, they just ordered bunch of parts that were unnecessary, and now they are trring to get me to payfor them. What do you think?
Update #2
They tested and put the old parts back on (of course they werent broke) but expect me to pay for 8 hrs. labor, and for using a rental for 3 weeks while they were "working" on it

Last edited by maestro1991; 10-09-2008 at 10:03 AM. Reason: UPDATE#2, new events
Old 10-02-2008, 08:22 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

1) Tracing down a problem like that can take time, a lot of time.
2) Chewed wires would be bare, that could allow them to ground/short and then yes, it could fry the ECU.
3) Vandalized? By who? I doubt any company would take responsibility for a rat or squirrel damaging something on their property. You've heard the phrase "act of god"?
Old 10-02-2008, 08:25 AM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Who vandalized your car?
Old 10-02-2008, 08:29 AM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

If your car was vandalized I would think your comprehensive insurance would take care of you.

Thanks,
Les
Old 10-02-2008, 08:44 AM
sir captian

I think you are gonna be forkin out some cash in the near future.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:32 AM
maestro1991

Default Re:

Taalked to insurace agent, when an animal chewes the wires, they count it as vandalism.
How about the rental fee?
I never agreed to pay for the car, I took it based on that it will be free.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:43 AM
GenPac

Originally Posted by maestro1991
Taalked to insurace agent, when an animal chewes the wires, they count it as vandalism.
check the fine print in the rental agreement with the dealer, if it's got a clause about repairs being non-warranty then you're stuck with the bill. Also, AFAIK, the dealer provides space / rentals at their cost for warranty repairs at their expense as a courtesy for service department customers... It's not mandatory.
Check your agreement and/or the dealer's terms for courtesy rentals.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:52 AM
VENOMSZ

sounds like your in for a hell of a bill.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:02 PM
MarvinMartian

Take the squirrel on "Judge Judy".
Old 10-02-2008, 02:35 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The car is in the shop. Repairs are an insurance claim correct? Does you insurance policy provide a rental?
Old 10-03-2008, 04:20 PM
trinityracer

When I worked as a Toyota Tech a mouse chewed through some wires and fried the ecu on a Camry. No questions were asked and it was covered under warranty. Also I know some people would use there insurance when stuff like this happened with high mileage vehicles.
Old 10-04-2008, 02:18 AM
FrankieZZ

Originally Posted by MarvinMartian
Take the squirrel on "Judge Judy".
No ! No ! Her clients will eat it !
Old 10-04-2008, 02:21 AM
yogipower

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think they are hungry...dealership always makes some kinda excuse out of nowhere
Old 10-05-2008, 04:30 PM
Turbonium

One day when i woke up in the morning at my brother's house i found that my wife's '06 Saab 9-3 that i drove that day was not starting. I mean completely dead. Called Saab assistance, they walked me through a few steps, still nothing. Their towtruck had to come and flatbed the car to the nearest dealer. Dealer had the car for a week, said a new ECU had to be ordered. Ordered it was. After another week dealer called back and said my main harness has been chewed right through and the fix will run $750. No charge for the ordered ECU since it was their mistake for not diagnosing the problem correctly. Insurance would not cover it (GEICO) so i just handed over the $750. I guess **** happens. Good luck.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:48 AM
wildebird

A few months ago my neighbors Xterra had a similar problem, a squirrel chewed through the main harness by the power brake booster. 1 wire was completely chewed through and 1 was nearly severed. He took it in on Monday. They TOOK OUT the complete engine harness before the repair was confimed with the owner. Needless to say the part was backordered for 5 weeks. He was without a car(no rental provided) for the entire time. 5 weeks and $1700 later($600 for him), he got his truck back with more problems than he started and actually missing parts.This went on for another month or so before they got it completely fixed. Incidently they had Geico and the insurance wouldn't pay for incidentals(zip ties, ect). The incidentals were around $100, thus the $600 for him.
I know its another story but Nissan just doesn't seem to take care of the people who spend their money with them. Iv'e had several issues with the local Nisan dealer and REFUSE to let them work on my wifes car. I've called the NIssan 800 number with absolutely no response. Its almost like they just dont care. Pretty sad when you spend that kind of money for a vehicle and they treat you like the only thing that matters is payrole for them.
All I can say is good luck with the pursuit.

I hate to say it, but some of the experiences I've had with the local and regional Nissan corp. will drastically affect my next car purchase.

Last edited by wildebird; 10-06-2008 at 06:52 AM.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:46 PM
honeybadger

That is extremely unfair of the dealership... which one did you take it to? I'd definitely avoid that one in the future.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:27 PM
AML225

I thought if you didn't sign beforehand to agree to forego approval of charges they can't legally charge you without giving you an accurate estimate. I agree, you need to talk to a lawyer. You shouldn't have to pay for their mistakes or for the fact that it took them so long to finally figure out what was wrong.