Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Will The 350Z Ever Be The Car The Supra Was ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2003, 06:31 PM
Sir_Dingo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will The 350Z Ever Be The Car The Supra Was ?

What I mean to say is, will the 350Z ever have be the bad *** street machine, the late model Supras became. Even today the 98 Supra is still a fast as hell car. Will the Z ever be built like that, or how much work and $$ does it take to turn a stock track model into a Supra killer ? TT or SC ?

Thanks
Old 08-10-2003, 06:35 PM
FLY BY Z

No one really knows yet.
Old 08-10-2003, 06:52 PM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

If you are willing to spend enough on it, sure.
Old 08-10-2003, 07:22 PM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

slap on the ATI Procharger, then there you go! that's enough to be a Supra killer right there!

I believe 350Z will be as good as the old Supra's.. Especially with more tuner parts coming out..
Old 08-10-2003, 07:48 PM
350ZMatt

Yes and better! The 350Z has only been out 11 months in the U.S. and look at the list of companies hoping to get in on the action.

Give it some time. I bet the 350z will be in some pop culture movies very very soon. Thus making our resale values defy the laws of depreciation like the supra.

As for performance, from the factory the supra was way ahead of its time and less corner cutting was performed. If you recall, the supra tt is a 6-8 yr old car that used to sell for $40K!!!

Mark my words, there will be 1600 WHP, 8 second street 350Z in the next 3-4 years.
Old 08-10-2003, 08:01 PM
Enron Exec

I totally agree with 350ZMatt. This car and engine has alot of potential to be whatever you and your pocket wants it to be. The higher you want to aim, the better it is to wait unless you like to fund your own research and development.

I think the ATI supercharger looks like a great start to a powerfull everyday street machine. With some upgrades to the fuel system, ignition, engine internals, NO2 maybe... it could be a Porche Turbo and Viper killer.
Old 08-10-2003, 08:01 PM
alphared

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well depends on what type of supra and what gen. Is the Z now going to be as bad or badder than the gen 3 supra, not really (without massive amounts of money). The Supra's engine is built for abuse. you can throw a hand grenade in there and it'll still run. The Z's engine is a highly tuned Nissan engine. its pretty much pushing its peak on HP.

Now if turbos were add, maybe. Depending on how high you push the turbos without blowing the engine (like some of the test cars that greddy used)

have to wait and see whats future Z has to offer to determine if it be as bad or badder than the supra (that is if Toyota doesn't release a new Supra anytime soon )
Old 08-10-2003, 08:05 PM
wren57
Banned

IMO no, the Z will never reach the icon level as the supra. there were more Zs sold this year than there are turbo supras in the country. Not to mention the whole i6 vs. v6 thing, but the Supra engine can take much more abuse due to its perfect balancing...

*edit* the Z resale value will NOT hold up as well as the supras, due to the large amount of Zs on the road compared to supras...

Last edited by wren57; 08-10-2003 at 08:13 PM.
Old 08-10-2003, 08:14 PM
r34 racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

not to mention its cast iron block.
Old 08-10-2003, 08:18 PM
D'oh

I guess it depends on what you are trying to do.

The stock Z already handles better than a Supra, so if you are into roads with turns, then the answer may already be a resounding "Yes!"

However, if you want to talk about the ability to mod the engine, then I guess the jury is still out. With mods it usually depends on who has the most money, unless you start making up rules like financial limits and the use of stock parts.

It's probably easier and cheaper to get the Supra to go fast simply because it already has the turbo's.

-D'oh!
Old 08-10-2003, 08:35 PM
silverstoned

lol...yea now that I own a 350, I hope they decrease production numbers and maybe put it in f&f 3 so our resale value will inflate like a ***** f*cka similar to the supra. its almost outrageous how some people are still trying to sell 1998 TT Supras for 40-50 grand... haha
Old 08-10-2003, 09:56 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cast iron block will always own aluminum in sheer power.

however, take a long hard look at the supra. it was a one trick wonder, it could pull dynos unlike any other, but yet on a road course, it was a dog because of its hefty weight(in places you cant even lighten it, like the heavy engine)

and in the quarter, for whatever reasons, its a ***** to get the supra into the 11s even with crazy 800hp engines. it SEEMs like it should be an incredable car, but altho it is so powerful, it is severly limited by almost anything except its engine.

however it became a cult classic, even tho in the pro NHRA runs where you have limits to modding(2 power modifications, and weight restrictions) in the final race, it was rx7 vs supra, and the rx7 beat the supra down the strip...
Old 08-11-2003, 01:41 AM
alphared

Originally posted by ares
however it became a cult classic, even tho in the pro NHRA runs where you have limits to modding(2 power modifications, and weight restrictions) in the final race, it was rx7 vs supra, and the rx7 beat the supra down the strip...
ah, but you have to factor in drivers as well

Also, right now its really hard to see the Z pulling 600-800 HP to the rear wheels like most mod supra.

I think down the line they really need to pull the Z in more movies to raise the awareness of the Z, like F&F did for the supra. Most people still have no clue what car Z drivers are driving, but if you pull up with a supra, everyone knows it.
Old 08-11-2003, 05:05 AM
BigBadBuford

If you are talking in terms of power production, the Z won't be putting out numbers on stock internals like a Supra TT. I'm not saying the Z is weak, just look at what some people have done already with nitrous and you can see it is a strong motor. The only problem is that it wasn't built for boost from the factory. Lower the compression and throw in some good rods and the Z should be able to crank out some pretty impressive numbers.
The Z will never be as rare as a Supra TT, but I can see it becoming a "cult classic", just like the rest of the Z cars. I don't think the resale will stay as high just due to the sheer number of Z's that are out there, but I don't think the value of our cars are going to drop like a rock either.

Last edited by BigBadBuford; 08-11-2003 at 05:08 AM.
Old 08-11-2003, 05:42 AM
350zSpeedRacer

I have two words for the supras. "Dyno Queen"
Old 08-11-2003, 07:22 AM
toykilla

well it depends on how you want to look at it....a turboed supra was selling upwards of 45-50 k back in the day.. i picked up my z for around 30k.. ..

next those mean *** supras usually have 10-20grand pumping in their engine/drivetrain/suspension. etc.. ok so now we are up to a 70k dollar supra.

take my 30k dollar z and put 40k (to equal the 70k supra) into the engine/drivetrain/suspension/etc.. now you have one hell of a car..
Old 08-11-2003, 08:31 AM
DrDrilZ

Originally posted by toykilla
well it depends on how you want to look at it....a turboed supra was selling upwards of 45-50 k back in the day.. i picked up my z for around 30k.. ..

next those mean *** supras usually have 10-20grand pumping in their engine/drivetrain/suspension. etc.. ok so now we are up to a 70k dollar supra.

take my 30k dollar z and put 40k (to equal the 70k supra) into the engine/drivetrain/suspension/etc.. now you have one hell of a car..
actually, i believe the 1998 supra turbo could be had for 40k or less, as toyota dropped the msrp by almost 10k towards the end.
Old 08-11-2003, 03:13 PM
mgl

i don't think that the 350z can compete with the supra in terms of resale value.
first of all, toyota has a higher resale value than nissan just based on reliability and performance. second, the supra had limited production numbers making it more rare. basic supply and demand due to the low demand can drive up the resale value to where it is today.
Old 08-11-2003, 04:24 PM
toykilla

i dont think this was meant to become a resale value/limited production thread.... we are supposed to be talked performance
Old 08-11-2003, 05:20 PM
little_rod

Well, the supra is a nice car. I still look at the fact that they where around 40 grand or more, and I got my Z for 30, years later. It was nice to be able to afford the car I always liked (Z). If it was turboed, the price would be 40 something. Now, the Supra is turboed in all of these comparisons, and that is not fair to the current Z, which is lower priced and NA.

Give me the same amount of money to spend on both cars, and I bet the power output would be similar.

Quick Reply: Will The 350Z Ever Be The Car The Supra Was ?