Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

I suck at drving my Z

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 08:43 PM
sean6tt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I suck at drving my Z

Me and my friend went to a little street near his house and did a little drving in my Z and tried to see how fast we could get to 60 and what not. Well i suck, the first few tries i spun the wheels all the way through 1st and then i couldnt break 6.5 sec. Now this was with just a handy stopwatch and a bunch of ametures but i mean i cant drive this car verywell.

Any tips on how to shift quicker and launch without alot of wheelspin.??

Thanks
Old 08-24-2003, 08:54 PM
bshockley

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but practice. There is no magical answer that'll make you better. Just practice.
Old 08-24-2003, 08:56 PM
seanrulz

I ain't a good driver either, but from other threads, I read that dropping clutch at 2500rpm is the best. Tried by myself, and it wasn't bad. Also, after launch do not floor the gas immediately after you take off. Feel how the rear tires work and apply the gas accordingly.
You would only get better with more practicing, along with some smell of burnt clutches and tires
Old 08-24-2003, 09:25 PM
Z2k3

Here's a few ideas

1. Turn off Traction Control (an obvious idea but so many people forget)

2. Turn your AC off (another obvious idea that so many people forget)

2. Not sure if it's offered for a 350z yet, but getting a short throw shifter worked wonders on my Cobra.

3. You could try powershifting, but opinions differ on whether or not it is hard on your clutch and/or transmission. Powershifting is the simple method of not taking your foot off the gas while engaging and disengaging the clutch thru the gears. Thus it keeps your RPMs up going into each gear, keeps you in your powerband. I can tell you first hand that you can gain tenths of a second doing this, but it does feel odd and possibly dangerous to your car.

4. Practice is the biggest thing when learning to launch with a MT. Too much spin could cost you a second or more when launching. Find the perfect RPM that nets you the best results, keep trying until you get it.
Old 08-24-2003, 10:01 PM
Buub

Yes, practice...

I am SO much smoother with this car after eight months than I was when I first brought it home. And yeah it took a few months before I really felt comfortable enough to "really drive it".
Old 08-25-2003, 07:48 AM
junglist350Z

fastest way to drive a car is to drive it like you stole it. I'm dead serious...when I want to go fast in the Z i just drive it real hard and pretend its not mine. No harm is generally done to the car since at a racetrack it would get just as much abuse if not more since i dont do anything STUPID in it or anything, but i definitely rag the **** out of the Z pretty often. Its so satisfying
Old 08-25-2003, 09:56 AM
MadMax76

There is a little more to launching then just dropping the clutch at 2500 RPMs. You can be at 6000 RPMs and still go really slow - depends on what you do with the clutch. Use friction zone of your clutch while keeping the gas at maximum tork number of RPMs in the very beginning and once you start moving be patient on the gas. Don't just punch it, squeeze it. It's like pulling a trigger, you don't jerk it - you squeeze it, and of course as everyone else before me said it practice cause practice makes perfect.
Old 08-25-2003, 08:11 PM
garygoon

Originally posted by junglist350Z
fastest way to drive a car is to drive it like you stole it. I'm dead serious...when I want to go fast in the Z i just drive it real hard and pretend its not mine. No harm is generally done to the car since at a racetrack it would get just as much abuse if not more since i dont do anything STUPID in it or anything, but i definitely rag the **** out of the Z pretty often. Its so satisfying
lol thats funny. drive like you stole it. remind me not to buy any used cars from you.

ya, just practice your launch. youll get the feel for it.
Old 08-25-2003, 10:05 PM
sleeperbold

Practice definately. Go and get the book called "Driving Fast" by a guy named Phun. Lots of good hints in that. He used to drive for Porsche professionally. Other than that, I consider myself a pretty decent driver (gone to Darek Daley driving school, some autocrossing, etc.), but it took me a little bit to get the hang of the car. The friction point on the clutch is a bit tricky. So though I suggest taking it easy as the more comfortable you get with the car, the better the speed will come naturally, I also agree, somewhat, with junglist in the sense that let your instincts take over and relax. Either way just learn the cars different characteristics, it's a sports car for a particular type of driver not an econo-box for the masses, and the push it gradually to the limit. Don't end up like those dumb 16 yos in my town who wrap thier new Mustangs and themselves around a tree trying to see what the car does the first week out. Treat it like you would a woman; With finesse, not agress; But always keep a firm hand on the wheel ;-)
Old 08-26-2003, 01:38 AM
joust75

For a stoplight race I reccomend seanrulz info. I do a quick blip of throttle to 2500-3000 rpm and dump the clutch quickly and smoothly. Your gas pedal should only be a third of the way down If you have done it correctly there will just be a chirp and then you are on your way. The second you are in motion and have traction, stomp the gas.
To shift quickly, I pull it out of first before I get the clutch all the way in. You want to be sure to stomp that clutch down quick or else youll be grinding and your oponent will be laughing. Once in second I let the clutch engage again almost taking my foot off the pedal, as I stomp the accelerator again.
I dont know if this explanation helps, but its my method and I beat cars that are suposed to be faster than mine to 60.

BTW I dont condone street racing, but if the road is empty of bystanders and you dont intend to break triple digits. Hell....
Its on!
Old 08-26-2003, 07:46 AM
junglist350Z

Originally posted by garygoon
lol thats funny. drive like you stole it. remind me not to buy any used cars from you.

ya, just practice your launch. youll get the feel for it.
dont worry, the Z wont be for sale ever
Old 08-26-2003, 12:16 PM
Reggi914

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You dont suck at driving your z if you cant get a "good" 0-60 time. Thats not really what the z is for.
Old 08-26-2003, 02:07 PM
nigevellie

Originally posted by Z2k3

3. You could try powershifting, but opinions differ on whether or not it is hard on your clutch and/or transmission. Powershifting is the simple method of not taking your foot off the gas while engaging and disengaging the clutch thru the gears. Thus it keeps your RPMs up going into each gear, keeps you in your powerband. I can tell you first hand that you can gain tenths of a second doing this, but it does feel odd and possibly dangerous to your car.
this is really bad advice for a novice. learn to drive your car normally first.