Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another one by VO
Old 01-28-2009, 11:24 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan18Bailey
Another one by VO
It's a tuff job, but someone has to do it.

BTW, don't you have some pics to provide in the AG section?
Old 01-28-2009, 12:17 PM
MulhollandDrive

Originally Posted by quietkilla6
i was acctually thinking about this thread well i was driving a retarded long drive today. I couldnt help but think ive never lost control of a car unless i was REALLY pushing the limits and when i did lose control is was very mild. Even in the rain in the z (base model 04 none of the vdc tcs crap for you sukas j/K) ive never lost control, and i accedently drove on nearly bald tires for and extended period of time. Cant help but wonder how this stuff happens so often when none of the guys were doing anything outa the norm. Im 22 (23 next month) so i hate that the age thing is such a focus, reguadless of age i think maturity and experience has eveything to do with it not age. I just can understand this...
QuietKilla6... This post is not directed at you, but you also got me to thinking.

Well this brings up the old saying you can listen to me tell about all the mess ups I have done, or ignore me and find out for yourself first hand. With experience comes well, first hand mess up experience. If you have never lost control in a car, it is just a matter of time and it will happen. You may hit black ice that you cannot see, aka BLACK ice. You may suddenly hit a POOL of water from heavy rain and poor runoff that combined with very wide tires results in hydroplaning and loss of control.

I like it when I am learning something new, like say building an airplane (which I am doing!), and someone tells me about THEIR MESS UPs. I learn a lot by listening to others stories about their mistakes, so I can avoid them. Some of the best teachers teach from their mess ups.

So I agree it is not an age thing per say if you are mature enough to understand the value of listening to the mistakes and experience of others. I mean, you don't need to seem like you are listening, but listen anyway A quote that I like is "Speak with strong conviction as if you are right, but Listen as if you are wrong". The key is the old farts need to talk about their mess ups so others can avoid their mistakes.

I also agree that many accidents involve pushing the machinery a bit too hard for the conditions and driver skill level, but with time one understands that stuff just happens, good people mess up sometimes.

Now to reiterate. This post is not directed at you, I am just rambling.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:39 PM
Ryan18Bailey
JealousZ

Originally Posted by vo7848
It's a tuff job, but someone has to do it.

BTW, don't you have some pics to provide in the AG section?
Nope, because no one "hooked me up"
I bought the premium myself.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:42 PM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan18Bailey
Nope, because no one "hooked me up"
I bought the premium myself.
Ah, I wasn't aware of that. Someone better tell Redsox that then. Apparently everyone in the AG is under the assumption "you were hooked up" in exchange for PM...

VO(stirs the pot)
Old 01-28-2009, 04:15 PM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

OP - You have got to be a masochist to post this thread. I really hope you don't expect anyone here to 'learn" anything from it. So far the response has actually been fairly muted; just search "I wrecked my Z". Around here they eat their young. (Thank god the quotes don't get edited - I was dying to hear the details on how the loose nut behind the wheel caused another crash and thought I was too late and now I can't stop laughing)
Old 01-28-2009, 05:02 PM
quietkilla6

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by quietkilla6
i was acctually thinking about this thread well i was driving a retarded long drive today. I couldnt help but think ive never lost control of a car unless i was REALLY pushing the limits and when i did lose control is was very mild. Even in the rain in the z (base model 04 none of the vdc tcs crap for you sukas j/K) ive never lost control, and i accedently drove on nearly bald tires for and extended period of time. Cant help but wonder how this stuff happens so often when none of the guys were doing anything outa the norm. Im 22 (23 next month) so i hate that the age thing is such a focus, reguadless of age i think maturity and experience has eveything to do with it not age. I just can understand this...

Originally Posted by MulhollandDrive
QuietKilla6... This post is not directed at you, but you also got me to thinking.

Well this brings up the old saying you can listen to me tell about all the mess ups I have done, or ignore me and find out for yourself first hand. With experience comes well, first hand mess up experience. If you have never lost control in a car, it is just a matter of time and it will happen. You may hit black ice that you cannot see, aka BLACK ice. You may suddenly hit a POOL of water from heavy rain and poor runoff that combined with very wide tires results in hydroplaning and loss of control.

I like it when I am learning something new, like say building an airplane (which I am doing!), and someone tells me about THEIR MESS UPs. I learn a lot by listening to others stories about their mistakes, so I can avoid them. Some of the best teachers teach from their mess ups.

So I agree it is not an age thing per say if you are mature enough to understand the value of listening to the mistakes and experience of others. I mean, you don't need to seem like you are listening, but listen anyway A quote that I like is "Speak with strong conviction as if you are right, but Listen as if you are wrong". The key is the old farts need to talk about their mess ups so others can avoid their mistakes.

I also agree that many accidents involve pushing the machinery a bit too hard for the conditions and driver skill level, but with time one understands that stuff just happens, good people mess up sometimes.

Now to reiterate. This post is not directed at you, I am just rambling.

First off I’d like to say that although I’m not a pilot i like hearing that your building a plane, i work in an airport and one of the scariest thoughts is that General Aviation is dyeing!! There’s so much history behind it that it would be a shame...
Back to the topic,

I have made some mistakes, all were my fault and ill embrace that fact until the very end. I completely agree with learning from your mistakes, and you have to make mistakes to essentially learn from them. I also truly enjoy learning new things (just not the hard way so much ha-ha) However, something like this doesn’t always happen under uncontrollable circumstances and thats my point. I feel like half the "i wrecked my car today" threads are from kids who think we are stupid enough to believe these things happen without them being at any fault. Why don’t they just embrace that they screwed up and ask how they can correct it? Or instead of buying the hot new exhaust and plenum spacer... ect go get driving lessons and make these mistakes controllably and relies there not Paul walker and vin diesel (Fast an F). I guess its useless asking these questions because its going to happen considering we’ve all been naive at one time and in the moment we don’t think but its just such a let down to have this happen so often to cars that these kids should have in the first place.

oh and i really dig what you said up there.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:51 PM
sandthepilot

I'm a pilot. So yesterday it snowed a little bit during the day and my brother decided to drive my 350Z home from work when I told him that even though there is like maybe 1/2" of snowfall on the ground that its not a good idea. So he goes no no its not that much i'll be fine, and i told him no, but ended up giving him the keys anyway to prove him I was right. So i text him to see where he is and he replies with I am filling up your tank. 10 minutes later he calls me and goes hey I'm in a ditch, so i figured okay he's alright and he is in a ditch so what. Then he goes a tree stump saved me, excuse me? A tree stump? He goes yeah I was going up to the house (cuz we live on a hill) I guess he shifted into low gear as he was going down part of a hill to get up on the hill and he swirved and a tree stump saved him. So i asked him if there is any damage. He says no it could've been a lot worse. So i go, so it was damaged? He said there is a scratch. So a co-worker and I drive to get him out of the ditch. As we pull up my co-worker eyes grew wide. We see my front end drivers side on the ground and the nose of the bumper in the air in a ditch. Tree stump in front of it from a neighbors house. We stop and check out the damage, surprisingly there was none and my brother was right. I guess he said it was like a bumper car. Anyway, im babbling here so we ended up hooking a tow rope to the rear tow hook hitch at the rear wheels and pull my car out. He is so lucky that there was not any damage and im glad my brother is alright. It was in our neighborhood so he was definitely going slow. Anyway he admitted I was right
Old 01-28-2009, 06:52 PM
sandthepilot

Mulhollandrive, have you seen THE TRANSITION?
Old 01-28-2009, 09:32 PM
MulhollandDrive

Originally Posted by sandthepilot
Mulhollandrive, have you seen THE TRANSITION?
Well I had to google that. Pretty cool. That would solve the problem of ground transportation once you landed! I am building an RV-12 in my garage. Van's Aircraft is an A1 company.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:11 PM
sandthepilot

Originally Posted by MulhollandDrive
Well I had to google that. Pretty cool. That would solve the problem of ground transportation once you landed! I am building an RV-12 in my garage. Van's Aircraft is an A1 company.
Thats sweet!