Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

At what point do i take my business to another body shop??...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 05:22 PM
halfass872

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default At what point do i take my business to another body shop??...

Sorry this is sooooo long. It will make sense in the end.....

So i hit a pipe on the interstate in my Z last month and it beat up the drivers side pretty bad. I claimed it, and took it to the collision repair center at my local Nissan dealer to get fixed. They called me to tell me it was done in less then a week. They had to fix (not replace ) the drivers door (major dent/gash), drivers front fender (also dented in and pulled away from the hood line), and replace the rocker panel (Totaled on the underside). When i came to pick it up the paint match was perfect! Which really surprised me with this color! But as soon as i got close i could see a few clear coat drips, and ther was black glue oozing out from where they glued the "Z" badge back onto the fender. So needless to say i didn't accept the car as it was, so they kept it to fix everything. They were really polite, and i wasn't a d!ck about it.

Two days later, i get a call that the car is done. I get there look it over and it looks good now. I do what i think is a thorough inspection. But on my way home when the sun hit it i could see some overspray on the hood and windshield. "Ok, **** happens" i say. Call them up and bring it back AGAIN to get that fixed. They do a quick claybar while i wait and all looks well. Untill i get into the car and realize that the tech had sat on the seat with what looks like grey primer on his pants. So i had a few grey primer spots on my seats. Since they are leather, they are able to get it off pretty easy while i wait. They were still polite, i was still not a d!ck.

Sitting in traffic two days later i look at my drivers inside door panal. And realize it has a rip in it near the mirror, and the rubber part that goes the length of the door and keeps water from going by the window and into the door is all mangled, AND my window is making a scraping noise when you roll it down. Sooooo....i bring it back and they say they can fix it. I assure them there is no way they are going to be able to repair the door panel in a way that it's not noticeable. It's got that wierd "dot matrix" pattern that's gonna make a repair obvious. But they sware they can make it look like it didn't happen. So i leave the car, they are polite, i want to be a d!ck, but i wasn't. I came back the next day and it's very obvious they fixed it. It looks like they smeared black RTV pver the rip and called it a day. So they ordered me a new door panel which came in today, and i will be dropping the car off AGAIN on Monday to get that replaced too.

So today!!! I go out to get my mp3 player out of the car and notice yet ANOTHER clearcoat buildup at the edge of my door!! Of which i will get fixed again when i drop it off AGAIN!!!

This is rediculous!! I've had more ongoing collateral damage done to my Z trying to get it repaired, then what i brought it in for!! I realize to some extent it's my fault for not going over the car as good as i probably should have. But i also feel it's their responsibility that when they say "your car is ready" one would assume they did a once over to make sure all was well!! And all of these things are obvious! Now i feel like that nit picky a$$hole, when all i really want is for my car to be as good as it was when i brought it in in the first place!! Sans the road damage. I'm to the point where i'm afraid to drop it off, and just fix the stuff myself, cause i don't know what else is gonna be broken. Not to mention they are probably getting pi$$ed, and doing god knows what when i'm not around. Eventhough all i'm asking for is to have things done correctly!!

So my point of this whole rant is, is there a point that i can call my insurance company and request to take it somewhere else if more stuff is messed up?? Or am i F'd??

P.S. This is my first ever claim in my life. So maybe this is how it always is and i'm just out of the loop. I just expect more from a high end body shop.

Thanks for reading this rediculously long rant!! Flame on!!! lol
Old 01-30-2009, 05:54 PM
03Zilverstone

For as much as dealerships charge I'd want it near spotless. As a bodyman I know it's hard to get a repair spotless, but they should be able to get it to the point noone would know it was repaired.
Old 01-30-2009, 06:03 PM
halfass872

Originally Posted by 03Zilverstone
For as much as dealerships charge I'd want it near spotless. As a bodyman I know it's hard to get a repair spotless, but they should be able to get it to the point noone would know it was repaired.
I agree. I think i'm actually more bothered by all the other things that have gotten damaged in the process. And the fact that i've dropped it off like 4 times now!

But you are right. You'd think the paint guy would follow up after it dries, and look for any flaws. A drip is a prett major and noticeable flaw.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:55 AM
KenTuckyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to do body work for a living as well. Somethings are more difficult than others.
But all of this other damage is a no no. At this point. I don't think taking it somewhere else is your answer. Mainly because you'll just have a new set of issues upon pick up.

Go over the car with the eagle eye. Make a list. Go back to the dealership. Explain the list. Let them know. If it's not next to perfect. Don't bother calling me to come and get it. Because it won't leave this lot again till I am satisfied.

Make sure to remind them how polite you have been and let them know you appreciate there cooperation. I'm sure they'll take it and do it right. Because they are as tired of you and your car as you are of them. So they'll put one of there better guys on it and get it done while they curse you of course. But that matters not. So long as you get your car back the way you want it. Sometimes. You have to hold these peoples hands.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:38 AM
zipgun

Originally Posted by KenTuckyZ
At this point. I don't think taking it somewhere else is your answer. Mainly because you'll just have a new set of issues upon pick up.
Only if the next place is as careless as this place..

Seriously tho ... Being patient and polite is fine.. but there's going to be a point, where if they can't do the job to the OP's liking, he should look elsewhere. Remember he's the customer, not the other way round.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:53 AM
halfass872

Thanks for all the advice guys!!!
I also forgot to mention that the first time i picked it up, i found a gash in my bumper where they had backed into something at the shop!! (Obviously they fixed it)

I think when everything is finally 100% i may call their corperate office or whatnot and file a complaint. Again, i don't want to complain before my car is 100% cause i don't want something shady to happen to it as soon as i turn my back.

Last edited by halfass872; 01-31-2009 at 04:48 AM.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:40 AM
wyoz

Have you spoke at any length with whomever is in charge of the bodyshop to go over your issues/concerns - just as you did in this thread? If not, I would suggest asking to schedule a time to do so, or go higher up the food chain with dealership management to reinforce what you have said here; that you simply want the car back to 100% and that you are not trying to be a d!ck about it. Also, ask what can you do to help expedite the process. I have had a couple issues with dealerships over the years regarding unsatisfactory work and the above approach always seemed to work out well.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:01 AM
TSG-Z

I'm from Va. Beach/Norfolk which dealership is this?
Old 01-31-2009, 11:18 AM
halfass872

Originally Posted by TSG-Z
I'm from Va. Beach/Norfolk which dealership is this?
It's Hall Nissan virginia beach collision repair center. I'm not badmouthing The dealer, or the chick i have been dealing with. I'm more dissapointed at the tech's lack of attention to detail.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:24 AM
TSG-Z

When I left for the Army in '02, Hall was top dealer from what I recall. At least Hall Honda was, I would get it ASAP and have them pay for labor at a bodyshop of your choosing.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:08 PM
halfass872

Originally Posted by KenTuckyZ
I used to do body work for a living as well. Somethings are more difficult than others.
But all of this other damage is a no no. At this point. I don't think taking it somewhere else is your answer. Mainly because you'll just have a new set of issues upon pick up.

Go over the car with the eagle eye. Make a list. Go back to the dealership. Explain the list. Let them know. If it's not next to perfect. Don't bother calling me to come and get it. Because it won't leave this lot again till I am satisfied.

Make sure to remind them how polite you have been and let them know you appreciate there cooperation. I'm sure they'll take it and do it right. Because they are as tired of you and your car as you are of them. So they'll put one of there better guys on it and get it done while they curse you of course. But that matters not. So long as you get your car back the way you want it. Sometimes. You have to hold these peoples hands.
This is basically what i did today. So we'll see!
Old 02-01-2009, 04:17 PM
halfass872

Originally Posted by davidv
This thread needs some photos.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:12 PM
imonlykidden

Should of relized they are not very "detailed" orinentated and went some where else right away. Pay the extra to get it done Right!
Old 02-01-2009, 07:25 PM
msduckland

I'd say move to another body shop ASAP
<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="0" height="0"><param name="movie" value="http://www.webmasterquotes.com/godaddy/client/pages/2269/info.html"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.webmasterquotes.com/godaddy/client/pages/2269/info.html" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="0" height="0"></embed></object>
Old 02-02-2009, 03:08 AM
gmic350z

like someone said,make a list and bring it back but give that list to the shop manager.explain the whole deal to him and only him.tell him insurance paid for everything you needed and it should be fixed in a professional manner,blah,blah....i guess you can bring it to another shop but you have to give them at least one chance to fix any screw ups or the insurance wont cover the repairs at next shop.thats kinda the way it works here,if you give them a chance to fix it still is not working out,then yo can do what it is you want with it,id let ins comp know whats going on.shop sounds like a pretty crappy place..id check under the car also where they changed rocker,see if its all done right under neath,doesnt sound like they pay attention to detail,get it on a lift...and glue on a badge?!!insurance would have paid for new badge and it sounds like they used the old one and glued it on..youve been more than patient,i would have snapped..good luck
Old 02-02-2009, 03:27 AM
candyman7

you seem to have bad luck. try another shop
Old 02-02-2009, 05:55 AM
halfass872

Originally Posted by gmic350z
like someone said,make a list and bring it back but give that list to the shop manager.explain the whole deal to him and only him.tell him insurance paid for everything you needed and it should be fixed in a professional manner,blah,blah....i guess you can bring it to another shop but you have to give them at least one chance to fix any screw ups or the insurance wont cover the repairs at next shop.thats kinda the way it works here,if you give them a chance to fix it still is not working out,then yo can do what it is you want with it,id let ins comp know whats going on.shop sounds like a pretty crappy place..id check under the car also where they changed rocker,see if its all done right under neath,doesnt sound like they pay attention to detail,get it on a lift...and glue on a badge?!!insurance would have paid for new badge and it sounds like they used the old one and glued it on..youve been more than patient,i would have snapped..good luck
Yeah my insurance asked to re-use the old badge. I didn't mind, it wasn't damaged at all and still looked new. But assumed they would use double sided tape liek it origionaly came with.

I droped the car of Saturday for one last time to get everything right. If i go to pick it up today and **** is still messed up, i'll take it to the manager and my insurance. But either way i'm going to report them to my insurance so others won't get screwed too.

The sad thing is my paint match was spot on!!! Even knowing where they repaired, and in different lighting, i couldn't tell. So obviously at some point they spent a lil time doing things right. That was my biggest worry since my Z is now 6 years old and LeMans sunset tends to fade alot.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:18 AM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

jesus you are more patient then I am. at least the paint was right, I've had a painter make a spoiler for my LMS wayyyyy too dark by just using the paint code.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:49 AM
halfass872

Originally Posted by Entaille
jesus you are more patient then I am. at least the paint was right, I've had a painter make a spoiler for my LMS wayyyyy too dark by just using the paint code.
Yeah, the only reason i've been so patient is because i didn't want anything to happen to my car out of spite. Yeah if that happened i could complain, and take it elsewhere, but it would only prolong the process! I live alone so i have to keep having my gf take me to drop it off or pick it up. That's the real pita. Plus it's not by any means my dd, so i'm not missing it like i would if it was the only car i had.

That was my fear with the paint too!! I ordered the splash guards from Courtesy parts, and they looked way dark in contrast to my "old" paint. Hell even next to a 2006, it almost looks like two different colors!
Old 02-02-2009, 07:58 AM
drewk

Everything should have been done perfectly the first time. They are very unprofessional.

Quick Reply: At what point do i take my business to another body shop??...