Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

And there went my car....

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 01:49 PM
SweatyPalm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

*Applause* You are gonna be okay. Get a civic for now.
Old 09-05-2003, 02:09 PM
Megatron

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Jeff hang in there. It going to take some time. But you will get over the accident. But this memory will be burned into your mind.
Old 09-05-2003, 06:37 PM
dchengmd

Originally posted by RedComet
see the thing is, I really DON'T know exactly what speed I was going but it was not much faster than that, I reached for the brake but my foot never got there. Its my fault, should have been going slower, shouldn't have been driving the car in the first place. I can't stop thinking about this thing for one minute. I am going to traffic court b/c property was involved. I have yet to get a ticket but I think that is too soon to say. I get the accident report on monday. Insurance called me today, car is totalled. Turns out in the Z when the airbags go off, you have dash damage, something like $23k in damages total. Well, this ends my Z career, for now anyway.

To all those bashing me, you are all right, I was told from the very beginning everyone said I would crash the car, and I did. Thank god I didn't hurt anyone in the process.
Wow, that's pretty rough. Sorry to hear about the damage. However, don't let the bashers here get to you to the point where you're bashing yourself. I'm sure you feel bad enough already.

The important thing about this whole experience is that you made a mistake, admitted it to yourself as well as to this forum, and you walked away from it without injury to yourself or to others. True, it could have been worse - but you got lucky this time.

The people bashing you need to lighten up. You've told your story and admitted you made a mistake. I'm not sure what else people here expect of you.
Old 09-05-2003, 07:43 PM
Jill

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OMG - Jeff! Are you okay? I'm so sorry I wish there was something I could say to make the situation better, but unfortunately, I can't. I hope that you still want to hang with our crew, and if you miss your baby - I can always give you a lil ride.
Old 09-05-2003, 07:45 PM
cincyspider

OMG....Civics SUCK! Get a used Toyota Corolla.

Good car, low insurance rates, and if you total it, who cares?
Old 09-06-2003, 10:37 AM
krutoydude

Is there a way to get a windshield of that car?
Old 09-06-2003, 10:55 AM
rouxeny

I cannot believe the amount of bashing going on by supposedly "mature" members of this forum.

Cut the guy a break. He wrecked his car, he's facing court, the last thing he needs is a bunch of mother hens clucking about how immature he is and how he should be riding a bike.

Life is a series of tough lessons. In this case, it's also an expensive one. He's learned it, and he's taking some steps to prevent it from happening again.
Old 09-06-2003, 11:44 AM
Inova

shake them haters off

everyone makes mistakes. i feel for you. i've had the same thing happen to me except in a POS vehicle that i didnt care about. either way i still felt like crap. it truly is a lasting and impressionable lesson that you will learn. mad props for having the ***** to come out and tell us all about this. you just have to come to realize that no matter what the conditions it was your fault and you must take full responsibility for it even if you think otherwise. i think that for the most part you realize what you did and thats whats important.

anyway, looks like you will be getting insurance money for the car in the range of 25k or so (more if youre lucky) i suggest something that still handles well like a mazdaspeed protege or something of the sort. you'll still be able to participate in driving events. it also has 4 seats and a nice little turbo for you.
Old 09-06-2003, 12:16 PM
RedComet

thanks guys, I will definitely still hang out with the crew. This is the current plan. The money we get from insurance goes into a bank account. That money will sit until I am ready for a new Z. We are going to get another family car my dad has been talking to his "friend" at the Audi/Porsche/VW dealership. So I am guessing its going to be an audi. I pray not a jetta or passat or something like that, not that they are bad cars, just not my style. My dad said that he is going to pick the car and that I MAY be able to pick the color.

My parents keep telling me that I need to stop being so depressed and that this isn't that big of a deal. I don't think that they understand that car was everything to me. In my eyes it wasn't even a car, it was a great friend, someone who would never hurt me and would do anything to save me. I know this may sound silly but I just feel so bad for what I did to it and that I ****ed up this bad. Thanks for the support guys.

And to all the people asking for parts, I don't think there is any way for me to get stuff to you. I really don't know whats going on with the car I think that the insurance will just take it. If there is a way I can get it for you, trust me, I will.
Old 09-06-2003, 12:57 PM
peterhong

Dude get an Audi TT if thats one of the cars your dad is looking at. I used to own an Audi TT 180 Quattro Coupe and that car looked real good and drove a hell of a lot better than the Z, but it is slow as hell so no real danger of getting into a major accident. Also the 4WD is excellent in rain driving and comes with Michelin Pilot Sports (which in my opinion is 1 million times better than the stock tires on the Z).

But hey if your dad is set on a 4 door car for you, then it could be a lot worse than a Passat or a Jetta. Just hope you dont get a Civic or a Ford Tempo or something. Anyway, keep ya head up and dont worry, like I said before, everybody makes mistakes --- thats the process of growing up man. Hang in there. Oh by the way, if insurance has deemed your car salvaged, they will pay you blue book value on it and you are able to go see your car before they take possession to take any personal belongings out. So, why not grab a few parts (hey you can put the shift **** and homelink mirror on your new car!!!)
Old 09-06-2003, 03:49 PM
___DJK___

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The money we get from insurance goes into a bank account. That money will sit until I am ready for a new Z. We are going to get another family car my dad has been talking to his "friend" at the Audi/Porsche/VW dealership. So I am guessing its going to be an audi. I pray not a jetta or passat or something like that, not that they are bad cars, just not my style.
Im not trying to flame you, but damn, at your age and considering what you just did to a $30K+ car, you should be happy they are buying you anything at all. Im sure most people would feel lucky to get any new car at your age.
Old 09-06-2003, 04:02 PM
RedComet

you really have no idea, I hope I can just keep my license or get insured...
Old 09-06-2003, 05:45 PM
rouxeny

You are pretty lucky, I'm sure you know it. I considered myself blessed to acquire a 88 Honda Civic LX with 89 hp from my uncle who was moving back to Hong Kong as my first car.

Part of the reason I'm sympathetic, I ended up smashing that thing up against a freeway guardrail. Basically, driving too fast for conditions.

A slow, underpowered car is no guarantee of safety.
Old 09-06-2003, 06:11 PM
carguy1984

Ok, lemme start off by saying "Hi", as this is my first post.

Now that greetings are out of the way, I think you should get what you pay for out of insurance, and have them fix your car, and then learn to drive it.

I've been driving since I was 13, I learned to drift by my mom taking me out to a muddy field in an Explorer and saying "floor it and turn the wheel. Now, stop it from spinning. Keep going until you are comfortable with controlling the car sideways." Even though I had experience with out-of-control driving, I still put my first car (an 88 Fiero GT) into a tree at 45 when I was just barely 16 cuz I was an idiot and wanted to show my friend how I could drift it, and I hit some loose gravel and lost it. Since then I haven't wrecked a car, because I simply bought another one, and got back into the game. My next car after that was an 87 Porsche 928 S4 (recently destroyed in an electrical fire... :-(), which was a 350hp RWD V8 monster. I had that for 2 years until last month, now I'm in a market for a Z. I've driven Ferrari's, Porsche's, hot imports, and anything else u can imagine, but no matter what happens, I always remember that first car I put into that tree because I pushed my car to its limit in an uncontrolled environment.

The moral of this story is - you screwed up. Badly. However, as the ex-owner of a car totalled at 150mph (rolled twice, 2 people died in it), I know for a fact that anything can be fixed. Frames can be pulled, and engines replaced. As long as you walk away, just take it as a learning experience, and don't forget your limits ever again, or you'll have another work of art lying wrapped around a tree just like that one, and there won't be anyone else to blame.

-Morgan Rock
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT 5-spd
1986.5 Porsche 928S 5-spd
(deceased) 1987 Porsche 928S4 Auto
Old 09-06-2003, 06:16 PM
carguy1984

PS - Your biggest mistake was trusting your car like your best friend. That's how I lost my first Fiero. I figured it would always shine through anything, but it didn't help me it all when I got a little over-zealous with it.

Cars are like wild stallions. They may let you ride eventually, but if you do anything past what it deems acceptable, it'll dump you right on ur *** and stomp you into the dirt.
Old 09-06-2003, 08:21 PM
cheeves

thanks guys, I will definitely still hang out with the crew. This is the current plan. The money we get from insurance goes into a bank account. That money will sit until I am ready for a new Z. We are going to get another family car my dad has been talking to his "friend" at the Audi/Porsche/VW dealership. So I am guessing its going to be an audi. I pray not a jetta or passat or something like that, not that they are bad cars, just not my style. My dad said that he is going to pick the car and that I MAY be able to pick the color.

My parents keep telling me that I need to stop being so depressed and that this isn't that big of a deal. I don't think that they understand that car was everything to me. In my eyes it wasn't even a car, it was a great friend, someone who would never hurt me and would do anything to save me. I know this may sound silly but I just feel so bad for what I did to it and that I ****ed up this bad. Thanks for the support guys.

And to all the people asking for parts, I don't think there is any way for me to get stuff to you. I really don't know whats going on with the car I think that the insurance will just take it. If there is a way I can get it for you, trust me, I will.
Can I vomit yet?
Old 09-06-2003, 08:38 PM
raceboy
Banned

In other words, your parents are buying your ****!NG act. Your parents should get you a good pair of Nikes or a bus pass and nothing more. Hopefully the judge will pull your license before your kill yourself (not too bad) or someone else.

Oh you're depressed. Boooohooooooo, whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. So mommy and daddy have to buy you an Audi because God forbid you have to drive a VW. I don't care if I get a strike for this comment, but if your parents buy you another car, they are not that bright.

OK, I have to go throw up now.

Last edited by raceboy; 09-06-2003 at 10:11 PM.
Old 09-06-2003, 08:54 PM
350z4steve

considering the dmage to car and property err (tree) it obvoiusly could of been worse ..being depressed is fine but complaining about what your parents will be getting you as a replacement..hmmm whats wrong with that picture? One thing is certain after going what you went through didnt that expereince teach you not to be an ingrate?
Old 09-06-2003, 10:27 PM
specialp

right on raceboy.

This kid may have learned a lesson in what happens when you drive like an idiot, but has still yet to learn the value of things. maybe some people give you points for admitting you are wrong, but it seems you come here looking for everyone to shed a tear for you. Maybe your parents should teach you a lesson in working for what you get.

I am 24 and if I crashed my car which I pay for 100% I would be walking places. Let alone having to settle with daddy buying me a new car. (ugh better not be some peasant car) you can rationalize your free ride by saying you work hard in school and you can rationalize your idiocy by saying the conditions were bad, but in reality no real lesson was learned.

The "audi driving course" is simply not needed because if you follow the laws of the road and do not act like an idiot, it is quite easy to avoid such calamities. Instead, you will probably take such a course and have a false sense of confidence in your driving so you may resume ripping it up on residential streets.

So you can post your suddenly found maturity and reassure yourself that you learned a valuable lesson, and then have people applaud you. Fantastic, but be honest with yourself.

Go away to school where you do not need a car, and when you graduate you should start driving again. Your insurance will be insane if you do get it which you probably will not as I know from past experience with my friend who got a 65000 dollar settlement after a bus clipped him with a mirror when he was going to steal some guys snow shovels. He too did not know the value of his car and drove like a retard. he lost his insurance and was uninsurable.

I think the real problem is not your age, it is the silver spoon that is feeding you