Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

6speeds...

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 07:39 PM
wannaShift

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6speeds...

how is the 6mt on the Z compared to the new accord coupe's 6mt in smoothness....?
Old 09-04-2003, 07:45 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why dont you go test drive both?

Id assume the accord would have a more cushy feel, where the Z is a direct link, no rubber bushings or anything. thats not typicly used in sedans as you do get vibration in the stick as a result. its a tradeoff for good feedback from the transmission.
Old 09-05-2003, 08:22 PM
zackman

Smile

I own a 350z with manuel transmission and love the car, no regrets. Anyways before I bought this car I tested the 2 door Accord with six speed and S2000. I have also driven the new Acura TSX my brother owns it. The shifting on the Honda and the Acura are smoother with less feedback. The transmission are all similar to each other just modified for each car. I think the S2000 was the best and makes the car shine. The 350z takes some time to get used to but is sweet in its own right. The clutch on the 350z is a lot stiffer and longer.
Old 09-05-2003, 08:42 PM
ares
Veteran

how long have you had your Z? I found the throw on the clutch became much much shorter(1/3 of the full throw or so) with about 2000miles on it. I dont even put it past the lock out point for 1st for a normal shift.

to the floor is far, but to the release point isnt so far.
Old 09-05-2003, 09:26 PM
bshockley

I've only had my Z for a couple weeks. I am already getting really used to the clutch. I know about how far to push it in, and don't go much further than that. I really don't even release it fully either, at least when accellerating.

Also, there is alot of feedback from the stick, but I like it, kind of lets me know what's going on. She's a little tricky at first, but easy to get used to.
Old 09-06-2003, 10:10 AM
Blue04

Not releasing the clutch all the way is refered to as "riding the clutch" and WILL cause execisive (sp?) wear over time. I know you may think your only on it a little bit, but even a little is not good.
Old 09-06-2003, 11:50 AM
Inova

my guess is that the accord is going to have a much softer feel but less feedback like zackman said. the s2000 shifts like silk with extremely short throws. best shifter i've tested.... the 6 speed on the z is a great gearbox but i'd take the s2k shifter over the z's anyday.
Old 09-06-2003, 09:06 PM
bshockley

Originally posted by Blue04
Not releasing the clutch all the way is refered to as "riding the clutch" and WILL cause execisive (sp?) wear over time. I know you may think your only on it a little bit, but even a little is not good.
No-no, I'm not riding it, the clutch is fully disengaged. I just don't release the peddle all the way up. Once it disengages, I stop releasing the peddle.
Old 09-06-2003, 09:23 PM
ares
Veteran

your confusing me too, pedal up would be engaged not disengaged, but if you do mean you lift on the pedal, but not all the way, so the clutch is engaged, as in your moving. then yes, thats still riding the clutch, it is "engaged" but even resting your foot on the clutch pedal while in motion is considered riding the clutch, sorta like dripping water on granite for long enough youll cut a hole through it. just a minute amount of pressure on the pedal causes it to not be engaged as much as it COULD be. and thus, its bad.

that is the reason they put a dead pedal, give you somewhere to put your foot besides the clutch.

now as for going down and disengaging the clutch, yeah, just go as far as you need to be able to shift without grinding.