Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Should You Redline Once in a While?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 06:40 PM
Flick Montana

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you think redlining your car is GOOD for it then you are the only person in the universe who fails harder than Commander Riker:

Old 02-18-2009, 07:06 PM
konaforever

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z04
edit: nevermind. after reading the rest of your posts it is obvious to me you have no clue WTF you are even talking about to begin with. go bark up someone else's tree; preferably someone who actually may care what you think
Yeah, no attacking above.

Originally Posted by Z04
only attacking i see is coming from you since you felt so compelled to call me out, make assumptions about me when you have no clue WTF you are babbling about to begin with, and add a coment to your sig. but hey, believe what you want.
Ok, Redline-once-a-week-come-back-and-report-damage-but-i-was-being-sarcastic-really boy.

Last edited by konaforever; 02-18-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:56 PM
foreveryoung

Redlines are safety nets.Lets talk about over revving.A lot more cool things happen when we do that.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:18 AM
Lento

I think Aloh and one or two others actually read the thread before they posted.

1) I never said I care if it will damage my engine or not. Someone must have assumed that and posted and 30 posts followed from people not reading.

I know it will not damage my engine to hit it. Thats why it is there to stop you from going any further.

My question was and only was: If you baby your car is it good to redline it to get all the parts moving, which a few of you did answer and that was in older cars there was carbon build up.

So the answer is yes, but really just on older cars because newer cars do not have this problem due to advance fuel systems that do not allow this to happen.

Illiteracy FTL
Old 02-19-2009, 05:34 AM
JEKL

I like this guy!
Old 02-19-2009, 05:58 AM
Lento

Its guy love

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL4L4Uv5rf0
Old 02-19-2009, 07:19 PM
foreveryoung

Originally Posted by Lento
I think Aloh and one or two others actually read the thread before they posted.

1) I never said I care if it will damage my engine or not. Someone must have assumed that and posted and 30 posts followed from people not reading.

I know it will not damage my engine to hit it. Thats why it is there to stop you from going any further.

My question was and only was: If you baby your car is it good to redline it to get all the parts moving, which a few of you did answer and that was in older cars there was carbon build up.

So the answer is yes, but really just on older cars because newer cars do not have this problem due to advance fuel systems that do not allow this to happen.

Illiteracy FTL
You actually want us to read too?? You expect way too much from us morons.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:43 PM
ambientflier

1: Why does it take 3 pages for someone to get a serious answer on a serious question?

2: Why would redlining the engine for a brief period be bad for it? That's what the redline is, a safe rev limit BEFORE you cause damage. That's what it's designed for.

3: If the car in question is under warranty, and will remain so for as long as I own it, I wouldn't think twice about driving the heck out of it. I doubt that Nissan is going to deny warranty work because you broke a rod at redline or under it. Now...removing the rev limiter and over-revving the car is a different story...
Old 02-19-2009, 09:49 PM
M3ANMACHINE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 08350zrider
Now mistake me if im wrong Myessesesmyes ... Is 3 + 3 = 6 how does 3 + 4 - 1 = 6.. Thats why you should redline your 350z every day and every time you drive it.. and leave it redlined in 2 nd gear it just makes complete sense... you see 3 + 3 = 6 therefore redline the b1tch
You hit the nail on the head! My thoughts exactly!
Old 02-20-2009, 06:47 AM
Lento

Originally Posted by foreveryoung
Redlines are safety nets.Lets talk about over revving.A lot more cool things happen when we do that.
The good ol' 5th to 2nd shift..... Nothing like the smell of burnt internals in the morning.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:49 AM
akomsr1

I've heard that it is good to redline the car every once in a while to get the cobwebs out so to speak.

Might not be an issue with Z's because they are usually driven pretty hard anyways, but if you have an average family sedan that never goes about 4,000 RPMs. Should you give it the beans every once in a while?

Not sure if this is a myth or not.
On rotary engines it's needed to go WOT sometimes to remove the carbon build up (i.e. the cobwebs you speak of). How often? I'm not sure, but I doubt there's an exact science to it. If a piston engine is running really rich it can also probably help to remove carbon build up by redlining it. A modern car like the 350Z probably doesn't need it.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:54 AM
Zian

I have heard time and again that it is good to run up the RPMs every once in a while, with the main justification being something about removing carbon build up. While this may be true on older vehicles and to some extent on new ones, it is probably a justification for driving a high performance vehicle the way it was built to be driven. Try not to bounce it off the rev limiter, and frankly redlining is not necessary given the power band of a Z, but honestly if you have a little fun with your sports car from time to time you will be fine. As for the family sedans that the OP mentioned, again, not all day or very often but every once in a while shouldn't hurt.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:54 PM
bailey bill

Originally Posted by PerfZ
Since the car hits the rev limiter, don't think you can do all that much damage if you just do it on occasion.
Yeah, I only do it on occasion also,,,every occasion posible!

Look, redline is the RPM that the manufacturer has determined is safe and will not result in any damage to the car.

And as others have mentioned, its really a very conservative limit. I would expect you could exceed it by at least 10% and still be perfectly OK.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:37 PM
foreveryoung

The good ol' 5th to 2nd shift..... Nothing like the smell of burnt internals in the morning.
I had a customer a few years ago,got his V6 Accord towed in with no start problem.We checked it out and found all the exhaust vavles bent.Once he fessed up,we found out he did a hi speed 6th to 3rd shift.Engine computor recorded 10500 RPM in its history.Rev limiters are good on the way up but not on the way down.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:43 AM
WhiteNoiz

Redlining often stretches things out in the motor, making it more nimble. Once you float all six valves, your essentially in V-tec all the time!!!
Old 02-21-2009, 02:47 PM
bailey bill

Originally Posted by WhiteNoiz
Redlining often stretches things out in the motor, making it more nimble. Once you float all six valves, your essentially in V-tec all the time!!!
6 valves? Have you got a 3 cylinder Z with only 2 valves per cylinder?

bill
Old 02-21-2009, 05:36 PM
foreveryoung

Well I redlined today.Guess what.No cobwebs came out,nothing stretched,didn't appear to disturb my carbon,certainly did'nt blow up and it didn't run any different afterwards.I did get home 1.3 seconds faster though.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:41 PM
abeklipse

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A redline a day keeps the mechanic away.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:00 AM
Xlr82x

Redlining a motor will cause the pins holding the pistons and rods together to fail and shot out of the motor. I would say just be aggressive with it every so often, set you rev light to about 6.5k at most and take it there every so often if you want. I personally never get about 6k.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:01 AM
konaforever

Originally Posted by Xlr82x
Redlining a motor will cause the pins holding the pistons and rods together to fail and shot out of the motor. I would say just be aggressive with it every so often, set you rev light to about 6.5k at most and take it there every so often if you want. I personally never get about 6k.
What?

Quick Reply: Should You Redline Once in a While?