Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Does a Radar Detector Really Save You From Tickets?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 09:53 AM
bruce4o9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One day i was driving and i heard on the radio of a Radar scrambler called Phantom something..i live in texas btw. anyone heard of any such thing?
Old 03-05-2009, 01:32 PM
Z1NONLY

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by bruce4o9
One day i was driving and i heard on the radio of a Radar scrambler called Phantom something..i live in texas btw. anyone heard of any such thing?
Those are made by Rocky Mountain Radar (RMR)

They don't work.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:21 PM
2boosted4u

everytime i have ever used one i have gottn a ticket.... and for the many of thousands of miles with out one...ive been fine
Old 03-05-2009, 03:15 PM
Black Z Eddie

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Saved me a handful of times. The only thing annoying are the false alarms. I don't have (yet) one of these fancy ones that can remember, or filter out, the non-cop-radars. But, in a sorta-kinda-way, you get used to it.

For those of you in areas where radar detectors are illegal, don't be this guy:
<object width="425" height="344">
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/y6YDMj_3RdE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>
Old 03-05-2009, 03:30 PM
hubcityz

i was reading all the post and im a dallas police officer, and lazer, which is mostly run by sherriff deputys, constables, and troopers is hard to beat cuz it hits you from so far back. i think just a little less than 1 mile. just dont get caught with one off those radar jammers cuz they are all illegal in all states. ive actually seen a couple of those. all in all just remember all the speed traps cuz some are just like fishing holes for police. also be respectful when you get stopped you can argue in court. yall be carefull
Old 03-05-2009, 06:15 PM
RaDaRkInG

Originally Posted by DARKEST_HOUR
Anyone have an opinion about K40 systems ??
Can't seem to find any decent reviews.
That's because the K40 is an overpriced POS that can't jam any laser guns used in the U.S. RadarTest.com is a site that is run by Craig Peterson who is extremely biased against the V1 but his other reviews seem to be pretty accurate. If you go to YouTube.com and type in K40 laser, you will not find a single video of the K40 laser jammer working but you will find lots of videos of it not jamming anything. By comparison, the Laser Interceptor laser jammer which is extremely effective, has hundreds of videos on YouTube and it is jamming almost all the time.

Check out his K40 review:

http://radartest.com/article.asp?articleid=100584

Old 03-05-2009, 06:43 PM
RaDaRkInG

Originally Posted by hubcityz
i was reading all the post and im a dallas police officer, and lazer, which is mostly run by sherriff deputys, constables, and troopers is hard to beat cuz it hits you from so far back. i think just a little less than 1 mile. just dont get caught with one off those radar jammers cuz they are all illegal in all states. ive actually seen a couple of those. all in all just remember all the speed traps cuz some are just like fishing holes for police. also be respectful when you get stopped you can argue in court. yall be carefull
Radar is controlled by the FCC and there is a federal law against jamming it in the entire U.S. and ten states have their own laws on top of the federal law that is in place.

http://guysoflidar.com/usa-radar-jammer-laws.html

On the other hand, laser is controlled by the FDA and there are only nine states with laws against laser jamming and Texas isn't one of them.

http://guysoflidar.com/usa-laser-jammer-laws.html

http://www.radardetector.net/forums/...at-states.html

It look like these are the lidar guns currently in use in Texas:

LTI Ultralyte

Stalker LZ-1

Kustom ProLaser III

The Laser Interceptor laser jammer doesn't have a problem jamming any of those guns all the way to the cop shooting them. They are quite expensive but you have to pay to play. It is $700 for front protection and $1225 for front and rear protection.

Laser Interceptor website:

http://www.laser-interceptorusa.com/

Laser jammer test results:

http://guysoflidar.com/july-2008/laser-jammer-test.html

Old 03-05-2009, 09:12 PM
Zian

After driving across the country a few times, I can safely say that YES my radar detector has saved me from a few tickets. But...when you see a sign that says "Speed Limit Enforced By Aircraft"- TAKE IT SERIOUSLY.

My radar detector saved me from the ground units, and then I got pulled over doing the speed limit. Officer said that I was clocked by an aircraft. Ticket wasn't too bad, but I learned my lesson. End result: Book the speed limit by too much and you will get pulled over. FYI: This was somewhere near the Utah/Arizona/Nevada border. One of those nice long desert stretches of highway where you can see for miles. Passport 8500 radar detector.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:52 AM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The Staties use the airplanes here in Ohio, and there is not much you can do about that, other than keep an eye on the sky and see if a plane is flying parallel with the highway. They pretty much look for cars weaving lane to lane, or really flying and are usually above the main interstates.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:56 AM
hubcityz

Originally Posted by RaDaRkInG
Radar is controlled by the FCC and there is a federal law against jamming it in the entire U.S. and ten states have their own laws on top of the federal law that is in place.

http://guysoflidar.com/usa-radar-jammer-laws.html

On the other hand, laser is controlled by the FDA and there are only nine states with laws against laser jamming and Texas isn't one of them.

http://www.radardetector.net/forums/...at-states.html

It look like these are the lidar guns currently in use in Texas:

LTI Ultralyte

Stalker LZ-1

Kustom ProLaser III

The Laser Interceptor laser jammer doesn't have a problem jamming any of those guns all the way to the cop shooting them. They are quite expensive but you have to pay to play. It is $700 for front protection and $1225 for front and rear protection.

Laser Interceptor website:

http://www.laser-interceptorusa.com/

Laser jammer test results:

http://guysoflidar.com/july-2008/laser-jammer-test.html

is the jammer you are talking about the one where the officer shoots the lazer and the jammer detects and gives a jammed signal then the driver turns it off and slows down. the officer shoots the lazer again and the driver has slowed down by then. at least that is how it was explained to me. if it is then i asked a traffic investigator and a traffic officer and they both said it was illegal. now ill admit im not radar certified and i dont stop speeders i answer calls and arrest mostly fugitives. ill mostly stop cars for small traffic violations and that usually gets us people that are wanted or some dope dealers holding major weight or weapons. ill ask some other guys that i know to see what they say but thanks for all the info.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:09 AM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Someone above mentioned that laser jammers were illegal in, like, 9 states? Maybe Texas is one of them. I know they are not illegal in Ohio, anyone know which states?
Old 03-06-2009, 08:36 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

problem is with Radar/Laser detectors that are too sensitive to false alarms, or signals that are typically not used by police radar (such as X band), the driver tends to get de-sensitized to the bleep/brap/bing audio tones.

In a highly dense urban area, RFI and clutter will greatly reduce your signal detection of police Ka band and Lasers. I dont know how many times a stupid Chevy Trailblazer's rear LED tail lights set off my V1 Laser Detector. (probably too similar of a wavelength)

So having a Radar detector its only one tool, to broaden your situational awareness of the area you're driving in.. Cops on long stretches of highway typically leave it on so you get better long range detection if there isnt alot of obstruction in the way-

i don't believe in any of the laser jammers. I doubt they can receive, shift the beam, and return it fast enough to fool the measured speed. and when they get a odd return number (say 45 in a 65 zone) they'll know you have something and will bust you for violating FCC/RF transmission laws
Old 03-06-2009, 08:43 AM
Brrcats

Originally Posted by Chebosto
problem is with Radar/Laser detectors that are too sensitive to false alarms, or signals that are typically not used by police radar (such as X band), the driver tends to get de-sensitized to the bleep/brap/bing audio tones.

In a highly dense urban area, RFI and clutter will greatly reduce your signal detection of police Ka band and Lasers. I dont know how many times a stupid Chevy Trailblazer's rear LED tail lights set off my V1 Laser Detector. (probably too similar of a wavelength)

So having a Radar detector its only one tool, to broaden your situational awareness of the area you're driving in.. Cops on long stretches of highway typically leave it on so you get better long range detection if there isnt alot of obstruction in the way-

i don't believe in any of the laser jammers. I doubt they can receive, shift the beam, and return it fast enough to fool the measured speed. and when they get a odd return number (say 45 in a 65 zone) they'll know you have something and will bust you for violating FCC/RF transmission laws

only if laser jammers are illegal in your state, becuase they are legal in some, radar jammers however are illegal in all 50.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:26 AM
RaDaRkInG

Originally Posted by PerfZ
Someone above mentioned that laser jammers were illegal in, like, 9 states? Maybe Texas is one of them. I know they are not illegal in Ohio, anyone know which states?
Click on the state and it will give you the law.

CA, UT, CO, OK, MN, IL, TN, VA, SC
Old 03-09-2009, 02:30 PM
wizzard880

Default radar

This has all been very informative. 2 questions. 1 When you hear a beep, say with the v1, does that mean the cop is targeting you already? Wont it beep when he has it on just normally and is not targeting you?
Old 03-09-2009, 02:39 PM
nismocoupe08

So when it beeps he is already targeting either you, someone arround you or the general dirrection you are in. So some of these radars give you a much further notice so it gives you more time to slow down.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:46 AM
TheBroberts

Its like a condom, most the time it works, sometime you just get ****ed. (Applies to, V1,8500 X50,9500)
Old 03-10-2009, 08:49 AM
*ICE*

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheBroberts
Its like a condom, most the time it works, sometime you just get ****ed. (Applies to, V1,8500 X50,9500)
lol thats a nice way to put it .
Old 03-10-2009, 09:14 AM
Brrcats

Originally Posted by TheBroberts
better than spray and pray method