Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Where do you put your EZ-Pass?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2003, 01:24 PM
drgenefish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where do you put your EZ-Pass?

Where do you all put your EZ-Pass (the auto toll collector for those out of this area)? It seems like a shame to put it on the windshield I wonder if it would work if i just stuck it under the visor or something like that?

Does anyone have a picture of the exterior mounted one? Does that blend in?

Just looking for ideas. thanks!
Old 09-11-2003, 01:29 PM
Zlips

i just keep it in my nav storage spot and hold it up when i go through...kinda weak but better then mounting it on my windshield.
Old 09-11-2003, 01:29 PM
Zlips

we have a similar system here in orlando called e pass
Old 09-11-2003, 01:41 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Down here we have Sunpass, and I tried to use the same method of putting it up when I got to the toll but it seems like the window tint (metallic, entire front windshield) is interfeering so I am having to put the window down and stick it out for it to work, I have gotten two warnings in the mail so far.
Old 09-11-2003, 02:30 PM
yobri
350Z-holic

FasTrak here in the Bay... I put it up to the windshield as necessary.

I have to turn the radio down to make sure that I can hear the confirmation sound. If it was smaller, I could affix it to the back of the rear view mirror.
Old 09-11-2003, 02:31 PM

It's mounted on the dotted area of the windshield behind the rear-view mirror.

Don't just wave it out the window. It doesn't always work, and it slows everybody down.
Old 09-11-2003, 02:57 PM
Aggro_Al

DITTO ... yobri. I heard the little dot tinting behind the mirror can interfere with the reception. Out in the SF Bay Area we can mount it to the lower corners of the windshield but, it still looks cheezy.
Old 09-11-2003, 03:35 PM
mdelia

What about mounting it on the sunvisor and fliping down the visor when its time to go through one of the tolls?
Old 09-11-2003, 04:06 PM
dmcgibbo

do you have a picture of what they look like?

what are the barcode looking things on the side windows of cars - ezpass toll stickers?
Old 09-11-2003, 06:08 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally posted by dmcgibbo
do you have a picture of what they look like?

what are the barcode looking things on the side windows of cars - ezpass toll stickers?
Down here they use those a lot for gated communities.
Old 09-11-2003, 09:07 PM
silverzman

I just slide mine up to the window here. It stays without me even using the adhesive backing. It also hides my VIN number which is nice. And yes it still works fine.
Attached Thumbnails Where do you put your EZ-Pass?-100_0034.jpg  
Old 09-12-2003, 04:30 AM
FairladyZ

I keep mine in the center console, and I also hold it up.
Old 09-12-2003, 04:53 AM
k2we

My Ez-Pass has been sitting flat in the empty Nav compartment since day 1. It works perfect on all major toll points in the NYC metro area and the New York Thruway without removing it. I found this out by accident when I didn't want to use it and when I went to pay, the toll collector said the Ez-Pass already had been picked up.. This works great as no one knows I have it..

Steve (k2we) Dobbs Ferry, NY 13,191 miles since Sept 17th...
Old 09-12-2003, 05:48 AM
cybercath

I also just hold it up to the windshield when I go through. I keep it stored in the navigation compartment.
Old 09-12-2003, 07:07 AM
ethan84ae
Charter Member #35

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default front plate mount ez pass

Old 09-12-2003, 07:27 AM
Michael-Dallas

I used to work for a company that manufactured tags and tag readers for toll and parking and my g/f still works for them. If your tag has the Amtech (or TransCore) logo, then that is where I worked. Their tags are used for NTTA, HCTRA, OTA (Pike Pass), and FDOT (SunPass). EZ Pass sounds familiar, but I'm unsure if it's an Amtech tag.

Anyway... these tags use passive RFID technology and proper placement of the tag is crucial, although not necessarily manditory, for optimal tag read. In a nutshell, here is how it works: as you approach the toll booth (express lane, etc.), a vehicle presence sensor fires up the tag reader. The tag reader sends out an RF wave, your tag "catches" the wave, alters the signal, and "reflects" it back to the tag reader. So you can see how being close to metal or even holding the tag can affect the tag read.

For Amtech tags, the best placement is at least 2 inches away from any metal (frame or metallic tint). I place my TollTag directly under the rearview mirror.

BTW, for the FL folks: we tested SunPass for at least 80mph -- the gates are capable of going up at that speed. And that speed has been verified by the lane controller equipment (yes, some toll systems can determine how fast you're going through a toll booth and hopefully your area toll authority does not exploit that).

Michael.
Old 09-12-2003, 09:41 AM
bixby

Actually, it works really well here just leaving it in the Nav compartment. However, since my license plate is identified as having it, I don't carry it at all. FastTrak simply picks up the plate /w their little camera & charges the toll to my account.
Old 09-12-2003, 09:53 AM
flynnibus
Z Flier

I put mine above the rear view mirror.. but only attach one side (in an older car I had.. my windshield actually SPLIT right down the middle where both sides were attached on the tag).

Here, the sensativity of the gates seems to vary from booth to booth.. so the leaving it in the NAV box doesn't work well here. I got tired of holding it.. and NOTHING sucks more then actually DROPPING it to the floor board while trying to pick it up while you are fast approaching the gates at 60+ MPH

The gates here you can do 70+ through with no issues if the gates are up. Different gates here definatly have their readers tuned for speed or not (they seem to be aimed further forward of the gate).
Old 09-12-2003, 09:59 AM
yobri
350Z-holic

Originally posted by bixby
Actually, it works really well here just leaving it in the Nav compartment. However, since my license plate is identified as having it, I don't carry it at all. FastTrak simply picks up the plate /w their little camera & charges the toll to my account.
So they don't send you letters warning you that the FasTrak didn't go off? That you need to have your unit fixed or you are in violation of something? If not, I'm not gonna bother putting the unit up to the windshield anymore...
Old 09-12-2003, 11:23 AM
bixby

Originally posted by yobri
So they don't send you letters warning you that the FasTrak didn't go off? That you need to have your unit fixed or you are in violation of something? If not, I'm not gonna bother putting the unit up to the windshield anymore...
Nope. I keep the transponder in my 87. Never take it out. My 91, 03 & 03 Expo are all on the "approved" list under my account. When they ID the plate they simply charge me. Oh, My daughter's car is on the list too so she never has to worry about paying toll. It all shows up on your statements. Piece of cake!