Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

I think Ive been SCREWED!! (please read)

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2002, 05:12 PM
nissan350zparts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-mail NNA

Honda got fined for this years ago for the mark ups. Nisan set the price for a reason. Letters have bee sent out to ALL dealers!
Old 08-28-2002, 05:17 PM
wadd3456

Then why does it seem like they dont give a Flying F-uck at this dealer. THEY KNOW im talking to NNA and dont seem to give one crap. HAHAH. Oh god, i hope this hits the fan for them.
Old 08-28-2002, 06:20 PM
nj1266

Mark ups seem to be a fact of life here in SoCal. I went to the dealer to pick up some parts for my race car. He tells me that they had a Z in stock. So I go to look at it and it is a fully optioned (sans Nav) automatic Touring model. The price was 32K. But the dealer add some ugly chrome 18 inch rims and tires costing 8K and then added a 2K market adjustment. The freeking thing now costs 42K. Yikes!!! No thanks, I will wait.
Old 08-28-2002, 06:36 PM
wadd3456

Default Jeesh

Of course , that is expected of cars on the lot. Were talking about a PREORDER though. Nissan was told NOT to do what they are doing. Oh well.

42 is still high for a Z though
Old 11-03-2002, 09:27 AM
350Now

Default Re: THE TRUTH ABOUT PAINT PROTECTION

Originally posted by krinkov
"Perma Plate" and it cost about 5-10 bucks per application and the detailer did it in about an hour. Total cost to dealer 30-40 bucks, cost to you 500-600 bucks
Thanks for the info this really helps. I went to a dealer that was charging $695 for the perma-plate and they themselves don't know what it is. I've asked them and the sales manager told me it was some bs etching on the glass of the car used as a theft deterrent. Now I have a rough estimate of cost maybe, I should go and educate the dumba$$ and tell him what this stuff really do.

Again Thanks this board has provided me with so much information. I really appreciate all the people who are contribution valuable information for new Z buyers.
Old 11-03-2002, 11:32 AM
WashUJon

I apologize for not reading all 4 pages of this thread, but I've been having dealer probs, too, so I feel I should respond in earnest.

My problems have been too numerous to list with dishonesty and BS from dealers so far. I think you should call NNA and tell them your concerns. I was lied to by a dealer about splash guards being a mandatory option that I HAD to purchase. Another member got the same BS from a dealer and called NNA. NNA took the dealer's name, salesman's name and manager's name and told this member that what the dealer told him was complete BS and there was NO such mandatory stipulation. A claim number was filed and it can be assumed that NNA will get back to these guys somehow. I think you should do the same thing. So far everyone has reported wonderful dealings with NNA when they have concerns of such matters. Give it a try...
Old 11-03-2002, 11:51 AM
nodeel

I wouldn't mind paying for an actual service..but now, this is pure BS.

Try buying your Z from a dealer a few towns over maybe?
Old 11-03-2002, 02:25 PM
ztom

Paid MSRP (S. TX) plus a $399 fee for "Paint/Fabric Protection".
That price included 1-year of free car washes (transferable to another car), plus a 6-pack (12 oz. ea.) of "ResistAll" cleaning &
protection products. Also, no charge for the 7500-mi. oil change.

When I first placed a deposit, I thought this was a rip-off, but bit the bullet anyway, and pre-ordered the car.

Now, reflecting on it, it doesn't seem to be that much of a rip-off.
Anyone priced a full-service car wash lately? My wife's car always needs washing and I'd rather be detailing my Z. "Here's a free car wash card honey, run it thru on your next trip to the super market" - besides, she likes anything that's free (Didn't memtion to her the $399 dealer prep charge).

Also the 6-pack of "Cleaning/Protector/Renewer products would probably run $35 to $40 in an Auto Parts Store.

The 350Z came with a fairly nice "wax" job ("ResistAll" sealant made by CAL-TEX). Doubt it was equivalent to Zaino or Blackfire - and who knows if they sprayed any Scotch-Guard on the seats.

All-in-all, the $399 dealer-prep fee wasn't a total loss, and I'm glad it didn't prevent me from pre-ordering the car. Have been driving it a month now, and loving every minute of it. Just wish it would stop raining, so I could get back on the road - sitting in it with the motor running in the garage (door open) just doesn't get it.
Old 11-05-2002, 03:30 PM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default $5000 over MSRP??

A few weeks ago I went into my local Dealer in Charlottesville, Colonial Nissan. I put a $500 refundable deposit on a Performance model that they were going to get in December which had the exact options that I wanted. They were charging $5000 over MSRP but because I was a "local" they were going to give me a $2500 break(?). This was about the time that I discovered this forum. After reading alot of posts I realized, which I should have all along, that "this is just a car" and there is no reason to pay over MSRP. So, I left the deposit with the original Dealer "just in case" and I started looking around at other local Dealers. I found Sheehey in Manassas that was charging $200 under MSRP and I started an order. I called my local dealer to let them know that I wanted my deposit back and I am ordering from a competitor. They immediately wanted to know where I was getting the car.

I went to pick up my check tonight and the Nissan Sales Manager, who wasn't involved until this point, as much as told me that "yea they will sell it at that price but, they are going to tack alot of other items onto the car that you did not order and claim that these are required". They even showed me a Touring model that they had (w/o Nav or Rays) that they had for $40,000 as if I would be ga-ga and forget the markup.

I was very disappointed that even after I went in they didn't even offer me as much as $1 break considering I have bought a new car from them before. I am not in sales but, I would have thought that repeat business is what every Dealer strives for. One thing that I am certain of is that I will never buy another vehicle from Colonial Nissan in Charlottesville and I hope that others realize that a $5000 "Price Adjustment" will not be accepted.
Old 11-05-2002, 05:54 PM
Boomer

Default Re: I think Ive been SCREWED!! (please read)

Originally posted by wadd3456
Well 3 or so weeks ago I took over a pre-order for a Performance Blue with some options.

We did the order form over the phone, he said what features it had, and then told me it was 32700. This I said "was 1000 MORE then msrp" He goes "you may be right, we will work it out later."

This is not really a GOOD idea in my mind, but he seemed nice enough.

Went in today, talked to the salesman(really nice guy) and asked what the 1000 was for. Asked if we could get the paper work straight now.

He didnt know what it was for so he asked hte manager. I handed him NISSAN's printout for the car and he goes....uhhh its for paint protection.

Dont get me wrong, but they ALL come with that. He said they do! So why am I getting charged for it? He claimed every car on the lot had it....is he implying EVERY car is 1000 more then it should be? Not only that, but NO WHERE on my sheet does it say "paint protection" as an allegid FEATURE.

THen he said they DO THE PAINT PROTECTION on the lot when they get there. I said "THEN DONT DO IT!" Manager said they cant do it, its not policy......"YOUR WELCOME TO TAKE YOUR DEPOSIT BACK AND GO ELSEWHERE!!"

WTF is this. Please tell me im not going insane here. Did you ALL pay 1000 over MSRP for some bogus paint charge? Shoot, they dont even have the facilities to DO ANY paint protection there haha.

PLEASE PLEASE respond. I dont know if I can drop out and wait 6 freekin months for a car i was GOING to have in late OCT!

Thanks
Scott
Take it or not, but register a complaint to NNA , written and by phone. Team Marietta has been flamed many times in this forum and others, so their file of anti-customer complaints at NNA is growing quickly. They may find themselves franchiseless when they are reviewed by Nissan's CEO Carlos Ghosn's crew and the ax falls on dealerships that overcharge customers on a regular basis. One of our members refused to buy from them, but takes his car there for service. He says the service department is almost independent from the sales bunch.

As for your $1K over MSRP, its your call if you can't find a comparable car w/all the options you want and don't want to wait, you can only try to get part of it taken off. After 7 months and 26 days of waiting, I didn't fight over the PDI and Documents charge, $299 and $99, I just told my salesman it was too much and they had to take some off. My salesman came back with $100 removed and I wasn't interested in fighting over $299 after waiting so long and the car was perfect, no front tag and no dealer's logo on the back, just like I told them.

Get them to take off some of the wax job(call it that to the salesman's face) and when your consumer survey comes, give them the worst evals you can along with your complaint to NNA, if you decide to do that as well.

Good luck, the car is worth walking over hot coals for, but paying $1000 for nothing more than a wax job is insulting to you as a customer. Early in the preorder process, some of our members complained to Nissan about deaer markups of $2,3 and 5000 and Nissan got some of the dealers to return the markup. Unfortunately, you are not the original orderer, so you are in a gray area now that the preorder process is over.

Boomer
Old 11-05-2002, 08:48 PM
350Now

Default Haggle..

I just bought my 2003 Silverstone Enthusiast without a pre-order. It took some haggling and deliberating but after 3 days they cave and called me back. Actually maybe I cave and just bought the car. Here is what I got...

2003 Silverstone Enthusiast
Side curtain air bags
Floor Mat
Trunk Mat
@MSRP

Also bought Lo-Jack since my integ was stolen and I feel a little more confident in some sort of vehicle recovery system. (about $700)

They wouldn't remove the wax since it is supposedly on the car already. So all I can do was to ask them to lower the fee for the cheap wax to $385 but at the same time throw in the First aid Kit and Roadside Kit. (Roughly $158 @ $79 each) for free. So the wax would have cost me approximately $230. I hate to pay this wax (in other word profit) but I say without a pre-order I did pretty well. What do you guys think, does this sound reasonable?

I guess I would have to agree with FrankATL in that if you can't get the break definitely be ready to walk out and find another dealership.

Last edited by 350Now; 11-05-2002 at 08:53 PM.
Old 11-15-2002, 06:45 AM
ScottC

Default I did it

I bought the paint protectant from the dealer b/c its the way they make their money on a strict MSRP car. Plus mine has a lifetime guarantee! If something like bird crap or sap cannot be removed they will send someone to my location and get it off and re do the treatment. If it cannot come off they will repaint! Over 60 months $1000.00 is $16.66 per month.
Old 11-15-2002, 06:51 AM
WayneTN

Default Re: I did it

Originally posted by ScottC
I bought the paint protectant from the dealer b/c its the way they make their money on a strict MSRP car. Plus mine has a lifetime guarantee! If something like bird crap or sap cannot be removed they will send someone to my location and get it off and re do the treatment. If it cannot come off they will repaint! Over 60 months $1000.00 is $16.66 per month.
Uhhh. You forgot that you will also be paying interest on that $1,000 for 5 years.

WayneTN
Old 11-15-2002, 07:14 AM
WashUJon

Default Re: I did it

Originally posted by ScottC
No offense but that's the most blatant scam-deal the dealers pull. Everyone knows its BS and the job they do is horrible. You got totally hosed on that, man. Dealers make a TON of profit ALREADY on an MSRP car! Boy, you seem like a salesman's dream! They make not only what's over invoice as profit, but what's over their actual cost. Their actual cost is LOWER than invoice. We're talking at least 3-4k dollars in profit on an MSRP car. Why give them MORE? Do you feel happy giving them money? I could use some money. Please send ME some, too...
Old 11-15-2002, 10:55 AM
robertchen

ha, if i was you just forget it, i would spend that 1000 elsewhere... wait 6months or however the wait is... spend the 1000 on an exhaust or something..
Old 11-15-2002, 12:08 PM
stiv

I agree, this forum has been an invaluable resource for me.

As for this thread, I totally feel your pain. I was discreetly charged a 3 grand mark-up at the last minute after I was initially promised that I would get the car at MSRP. (I thought verbal contracts were binding!!)

After some thought, I have decided to take action (even if I never see that $ again, it'll be worth my time because it's just WRONG!!!) I will also file a formal complaint with NNA (written and verbal) and see what happens... Any other suggestions?

BTW, if you live in Southern California, let me save you some time: AVOID CERRITOS NISSAN!!!!!! AVOID CERRITOS NISSAN!!!!!! THEY BLATANTLY LIED TO ME!!! The sales manager was dishonest with me!!

Let's not sit still for this CRAP!

P.S. AVOID CERRITOS NISSAN!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-15-2002, 12:33 PM
WashUJon

See this post in the detail forum about "paint sealant".

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=11169

Quick Reply: I think Ive been SCREWED!! (please read)