Gray Davis' CA car tax increase and a new Z

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2003, 09:32 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally posted by raceboy
1. They don't set the rates to "anything they want." It's a depreciation formula that has not changed.

2. The law that stated under what circumstances the offset would be lifted was passed by Pete Wilson, nothing to do with Davis.

3. Who gave you any "left wing crap?" Just stating a fact as to why the rates were going up. Not the lie that people are being fed that Davis himself raised the rates.

4. Your mistake was in becoming a teacher. Don't get pissed at the world for the choices you made. People become teachers because it's the only job where you get a summer off and then they ***** about the low pay. Man, it must be hard for you to teach with the obvious hatred you have towards you students. There are no bad students, just bad teachers.

5. There is a reason why California has a high tax rate; BECAUSE THEY CAN!! It's the most desirable state to live in. Personally, I think it's crowded enough. I'll pay a bit more if it keeps people from moving here! You could always move to Nebraska or Montana you know.
1. The rates are set by car wt (for example my truck) and price. I think it is not a good way to set prices. All this does is create money to for the state to spend. I think taxes should be taxed for the specific purpose they are taxed on ie money for entry into state parks is used only for the parks.
2. I do not care who passed what, the lic fees are too high.
3. The left wing crap is called multi-culturism and you should read a HS textbook now. It is racist and it does not measure people by performance, it measures by social economics. I feel that is unamerican.
4. It is not my mistake to become a teacher, It is the most important job in the world IMHO because it passes along information need to our next generation. I do not hate my students and BTW, I was nominated teacher of the year within my area a couple of years back. What I do not like is our society enabling people to be on social welfare instead of encouraging them to uplift themselves. That is why I am a teacher, to help people make theirown lives better.
5. The quality of life and the economy has gone down in California in the past 40 years. We use to be #1 in education, now we are towards the bottom. I do not want to move away, I want a better California. I was born here, and lived her my entire life. I have the right and duty to expect a better governemnt and better run state. Do not get so political, I could care less if a Democrat or Republican was in office as long as they did their job. We went from the highest surplus to being in debt. How can you defend that?

Last edited by zland; 09-15-2003 at 09:35 AM.
Old 09-15-2003, 12:13 PM
Phatmitzu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Jeff@Performance
We dealer traded my car so I could have it before the new tax rate went into effect. Rather spend the money on Mods!!
Nice. I guess theres no way I can get my car earlier right?

BTW, thanks Jeff for giving me the deal. I placed the order last week with Ken. You will be seeing a lot of me after the car comes.

Performance Nissan Rocks!

Mark
Old 09-15-2003, 12:16 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Another time Jeff is taking care of Z owners!
Old 09-15-2003, 04:51 PM
qirex

I just moved to San Diego from NY/NJ.

I just got my Z reg'd for $250 and my wife's fx35 $230.

While the "tripling" in vehicle reg tax sounds crazy...in reality - its not. Raceboy is right, they never changed the law - we (I like that we...) got a break for the last several years.

IN all honesty, CA is CAR COUNTRY. There's a lot of really nice cars here - and ppl drive them. An extra $400 a year is certainly NOT going to make me want to move back to the east coast.

Another really sad thing I've noticed is how ppl seem to associate gov davis with CA probs. He's simply the guy having to make the tuff calls and stand up to them. I'd rather pay more in vehicle tax than cut even more educational funding.

Regarding illegals...here's a little surprise - apparently Socal's economy NEEDS them! COnfused? Its just one of the ways our goverment keeps "its wheels rolling" Kinda like how one arm of our gov supports terrorists so the other can fight them, or the war on drugs (haha!) we FUnd drug runners and producers, whilst burning coloumbian coca crops and beg congress for more money to wage the war on drugs.

our foreign policy is soooooo ****ED UP! Its really pathetic, yeah, imagiune how many vehicle stickers you could buy with each american bomb that killed an innocent civilian?

Ah well, history is destined to repeat itself - hanoi hilton all over again....
Old 09-15-2003, 06:13 PM
apex locator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by raceboy
There are no bad students, just bad teachers.

i disagree with this 100%
Old 09-15-2003, 07:00 PM
djbit

Don't give me the illegal allien escape goat bull ****. It's old, annoying and so typical in CA. When the going gets tough let's blame hardworking hispanics who perform all the degrading jobs in our society and really have no defense. They are the reason you don't pay 6 bucks for a head of lettuce!

And yes they do pay taxes, and yes they don't have any healthcare, and yes they risks their lives coming here so they can clean your toilets, change your tires, clean your house, and do your landscape.

Why don't you bash on the monkey brains running CA who decided to spend like there was no tomorrow and now are pointing their fingers at each other?

I have no problem paying this fee (630.00) as long as it goes to good use.
Old 09-15-2003, 07:43 PM
WolfMan

$630? holy crapola!
Old 09-15-2003, 09:02 PM
raceboy
Banned

Originally posted by djbit
Don't give me the illegal allien escape goat bull ****. It's old, annoying and so typical in CA. When the going gets tough let's blame hardworking hispanics who perform all the degrading jobs in our society and really have no defense. They are the reason you don't pay 6 bucks for a head of lettuce!

And yes they do pay taxes, and yes they don't have any healthcare, and yes they risks their lives coming here so they can clean your toilets, change your tires, clean your house, and do your landscape.

Why don't you bash on the monkey brains running CA who decided to spend like there was no tomorrow and now are pointing their fingers at each other?

Exactly!!! People bitching about about illegals now would be bitching a hell of a lot more if they had to pay $8 for a head of lettuce!!

And I don't mind paying the fee to avoid cutting education. That is what Davis is up against. To balance the budget, you have to either cut spending, or collect more tax. I have not heard one economic plan to balance Ca's economy that doesn't cut education if also does not raise taxes. A teacher of all people should know this and be the last one complaining.

"OK sir, we listened to what you said and you are right, we are not going to lift the registration discount and BTW, you are now out of a job!!" Is that what you want?

Having a 100% capitalist society with no social safety net WILL NOT WORK, just like Communism does not work. Like all things, you must find a happy median and that is what America has done. That is why we are the one remaining superpower in the world. We have the correct balance.

I bet that if you rid the U.S. of all social programs the consequences would be disasterous and you would have the same people that pushed to get them removed, begging for them back. Sadly, I think conservatism is often just thinly veiled racism.

Last edited by raceboy; 09-15-2003 at 09:07 PM.
Old 09-15-2003, 09:07 PM
Xeinth

The registration prices were raised in CA so Davis could pay for the prison gaurds pensions, which are INSANELY high. It was money raised for Davis's vote buying.

I agree that many illegals do jobs that others dont want, but keep in mind, Lettuce is still cheap in Maine, and they have 2 illegals.

X
Old 09-15-2003, 09:31 PM
Dissident

Originally posted by djbit

You know what? Plenty of LEGAL immigrants do the same thing, and there is no shortage of LEGAL immigrant labor that is still pretty damn cheap, and actually costs everyone less int he long run. They pay taxes? Sales tax, maybe, but income tax? They obviously don't have insurance, since until now, they didn't have driver's licenses and couldn't get it. So, how is that fair to all the other immigrants (*cough* I am one, thank you) who did things the right way? Or to those immigrants who come form other countries that can't get over here? I can think of ocuntries much worse than mexico to live in... {/rant}

What makes you think it is going to good use? So, more money going to the government will help the economy, even tho the people will have less money to spend? And, who do you think this increase hurts the most? I would think illegal immigrants more than anyone (following your assumption that they follow all the rules and register their vehicles). It sure doesn't hurt all of us driving Zs as much as it hurts those who are jsut starting off, and barely have enough money to keep the car their friend gave them running (cause that's how my family started off - there is now way a trippled fee wouldn't have killed us back then).

People bitching about about illegals now would be bitching a hell of a lot more if they had to pay $8 for a head of lettuce!!
The difference is then the people who buy the product pay for it, rather then the people in the area where the product is made, whether they buy it or not. Everything gets paid for one way or another. If the person picking the lettuce doesn't pay income tax to pay for the roads they drive on, then the lettuce is cheap, but the car registration is more expensive, which is why lettuce is cheap everywhere, and driving is expensive in CA.

Last edited by Dissident; 09-15-2003 at 09:34 PM.
Old 09-16-2003, 12:28 AM
djbit

Originally posted by Dissident
You know what? Plenty of LEGAL immigrants do the same thing, and there is no shortage of LEGAL immigrant labor that is still pretty damn cheap, and actually costs everyone less int he long run. They pay taxes? Sales tax, maybe, but income tax? They obviously don't have insurance, since until now, they didn't have driver's licenses and couldn't get it. So, how is that fair to all the other immigrants (*cough* I am one, thank you) who did things the right way? Or to those immigrants who come form other countries that can't get over here? I can think of ocuntries much worse than mexico to live in... {/rant}

What makes you think it is going to good use? So, more money going to the government will help the economy, even tho the people will have less money to spend? And, who do you think this increase hurts the most? I would think illegal immigrants more than anyone (following your assumption that they follow all the rules and register their vehicles). It sure doesn't hurt all of us driving Zs as much as it hurts those who are jsut starting off, and barely have enough money to keep the car their friend gave them running (cause that's how my family started off - there is now way a trippled fee wouldn't have killed us back then).

The difference is then the people who buy the product pay for it, rather then the people in the area where the product is made, whether they buy it or not. Everything gets paid for one way or another. If the person picking the lettuce doesn't pay income tax to pay for the roads they drive on, then the lettuce is cheap, but the car registration is more expensive, which is why lettuce is cheap everywhere, and driving is expensive in CA.

I hate to tell ya but those LEGAL immigrants you're talking about were probably illegal not more than 10 years ago. If there was not a shortage of migrant workers for jobs they wouldn't be here. Simple supply and demand. Also, you say it's not fair for those immigrants that did things "the right way", what is the right way? If your well off in your native country, or you come as a refugee or what not, the red carpet is lay down for you (specially from European countries).. You have to look at the geographical reality and last time I checked Mexico and not Vietnam was your next door neighbor.

Do I really have a choice to pay or not? No. What's wrong in hoping that the money goes into good use? As far as money going into the into the government stimulating the economy, who knows, I'm not an economics major but that's where it's going and that's reality for now.

Huh? Well, lettuce is just one example. Basically, over 60% of California's economy is based on agriculture. If you make all the migrant workers disappear it's over for this state. In the end, we are better off paying less for vegetables than we are this tax. [/b]

I'm not sure, again, why you think this increase in registration fee has anything to do with undocumented workers. They have been here for 200 years and believe me, as long as the world economy doesn't balance out they will be here for the next 200 years. I'm all for some type of work program with Mexico but the topic died after 9/11.
Old 09-16-2003, 02:56 AM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

Default If nbdyfcnsqnc were a liberal idiot...

$565 here. But that's a bargain compared to the $3,451, which is the rightful amount I should be paying, based on the official formula. I'm really surprised in a good way about the whole thing. That was Wilson's fault, I suppose, and since he was a Republican, some of you are Republicans, and Republicans are so different from Democrats in this state, we should go along with it. Remember, it's all for a good cause.

If a teacher were to complain about it, he'd have to hate his students, because only teachers are bad, and never students. Students are always wonderful, bright, and cheery, without any issues, and they're always willing to learn as long as there's a good teacher. I know, because I had teachers, and they were mean to me while I was a really smart liberal child. This paragraph has so much to do with taxes, I can't even begin to explain. And here's another:

If we were to cut taxes, our public schools would fail. There's no way we could make money by getting businesses to come back, and increase revenue by increasing production. We have to charge the people more even while their ability to build wealth is diminished by higher taxes, just because I think it's right.

Since schools are always failing, we should always raise higher taxes to pay for them, instead of actually trying to find the fundamental flaw with that idea. Remember, if we found a flaw, we'd looks stupid, because liberals are always right whether or not any reason supports our positions. Whatever we do, it's essential that we don't use schools to teach people how to think, or else teachers would never make enough money.

High taxes are the best way to keep other people out of California, because they don't deserve to live here if they can't afford some made up amount. The price of property, goods, and services, as decided by the market is a bad way to do the same thing. It's much better for a government to decide on arbitrary taxes to cover arbitrary spending on things without really knowing where that money is going, because we don't really need it anyway. Otherwise costs might go down, and more people would just move in, and probably more businesses too.

Republicans think that by lowing taxes, businesses will move in, but that would just be more people who want to pay more for our stuff, and hire more legal employees. We'd rather hire illegal aliens as employees, because not only to they pay for themselves, but they actually create a tax revenue of $1400 for the state, and that's not altogether, but PER PERSON! We were able to calculate that, because we know how many aliens there are, how much they make, and what kind of cars they drive. Thanks to them, we're rolling in it.

Yet somehow the state is losing money like crazy on the average worker who is making above $30,000 per year. What we need are less of them, and more illegals. Sure, they'll never really become successful, but would we really want them to when they'd just end up making enough money to bankrupt the state? After all, it's degrading to pick the food we eat. A white person would probably die of embarrassment if he had to pick a vegetable. Once I picked a watermelon, and I had to go see a psychiatrist from all the sheer mental anguish. That increased the price of watermelon to $13+tax, since that was before the registration tax had been raised to the proper levels.

Speaking of illegals, conservatives don't really want the government to be responsible and officials to be accountable. That's just something they invented to cover up their racism. Obviously, conservatives don't really believe that blacks and Hispanics could equal whites, and frankly, whites can't even equal Asians. Asians are so smart they are a minority and they are very successful. That's why we liberals want programs like affirmative action, but not for Asians.

In fact, we blocked this election because some counties have voting devices that punch holes. The court found that those things are unfair to minorities. I'm not sure why different minorities would have problems punching holes in paper, but that just might be because I'm white and it comes naturally to me. Or maybe minority voters are more used to punching out all the holes for the candidates they want to lose. Or maybe they start with all the holes at first, then fill the holes of the people they want to win. There's really no way to tell, because I only speak English and some Latin.

A capitalist state, the definition of which would be one that perfectly protects the rights of each citizen not to take the rights, life, or property from another, would destroy the perfect balance of some degree of communism that we needed to become the worlds only superpower. The C.C.C.P. just had the wrong balance of 100% communism.

They didn't even have a system of representation, whereby politicians do what voters want because that's how they get elected. I don't really know why politicians are trying to please illegal aliens by giving them drivers' licenses, since they can't vote, can they? But illegals (who aren't really terrorists anyway) should be allowed to drive, and get health care, and vote, so that next time they can get even more benefits. They still have $1400 of excellent government services they deserve to get, and that's not even considering how much money they could vote away from the rich an middle class.

It's especially a good idea to guess how much you'll spend years ahead of time, and then not cut back the projections when your income level decreases. After all, the people can always afford to pay more, and they should because they're getting so much for it.

Yep, these liberal ideas have done California well so far, especially places like San Francisco and Santa Monica, and we have no place to go but up, up with higher taxes and more failure. We have to get all the businesses to leave this state so it will be nice an quiet, and all the services will be paid for by the rich and illegal aliens.

I guess I'll stop now, but it's hard because all of this is so obvious to me. Maybe it's because I bumped my head a few times to many, but why ask why?

Last edited by nbdyfcnsqnc; 09-16-2003 at 09:46 AM.
Old 09-16-2003, 04:23 AM
buzzardmountain

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

It's very simple, if you live in CA and wish to continue to pay this absurd amount in car tax, then vote for Davis in the recall.

Otherwise, vote Republican, and the tax WILL be recalled/rolled back.

NO INCREASES IN TAXES, CUT SPENDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-16-2003, 06:48 AM
Xeinth

[QUOTE]

Huh? Well, lettuce is just one example. Basically, over 60% of California's economy is based on agriculture. If you make all the migrant workers disappear it's over for this state. In the end, we are better off paying less for vegetables than we are this tax. [/b]

QUOTE]

Does everyone on this board just make stats up? Agriculture 60%, its ****ing nothing.

http://www.lao.ca.gov/2002/cal_facts/cal_facts_2002.pdf

See page 8 for the state breakdown in 2001. With a state GNP of 1.3 Trillion (page 7), Agriculture was about 27 billion(page 12). Ya, thats about 2.3%.

Your arguements are lame, first we have people making up that they pay on average 1600 bucks into the system, (even tho they pay no income tax and get free education and healthcare), and now they produce 60% of cali's economy!

WRONG AND WRONG

X
Old 09-16-2003, 08:49 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

I guess some of you are right, paying $400 is not enough for a lic. That is what is wrong, we are not paying enough taxes! This makes a lot of sense to me, let just keep the borders open, not have any one from any other country be required to pay income taxes, pay for auto insurance, or anything else and then lets increase our taxes so we are paying 90%.

Remember, a politician is a person that cares so much for you that he is willing to raise taxes to take care of you.

In fact, we should not be driving a 350Z. That is unfair to others that cannot afford it. I think all of you should give your cars away because if you dont, you are an insensative person that does not care for others.

Remember, the problem with America is people like you that work and pay taxes !
Old 09-16-2003, 10:08 AM
djbit

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Xeinth

Huh? Well, lettuce is just one example. Basically, over 60% of California's economy is based on agriculture. If you make all the migrant workers disappear it's over for this state. In the end, we are better off paying less for vegetables than we are this tax.

QUOTE]

Does everyone on this board just make stats up? Agriculture 60%, its ****ing nothing.

http://www.lao.ca.gov/2002/cal_facts/cal_facts_2002.pdf

See page 8 for the state breakdown in 2001. With a state GNP of 1.3 Trillion (page 7), Agriculture was about 27 billion(page 12). Ya, thats about 2.3%.

Your arguements are lame, first we have people making up that they pay on average 1600 bucks into the system, (even tho they pay no income tax and get free education and healthcare), and now they produce 60% of cali's economy!

WRONG AND WRONG

X [/B]

My point (which you failed to see) was that California is the largest agricultural producer in the nation and that is significant in a state with the 5th largest economy in the world and cheap labor helps. (thanks for the pdf)

If farmers don't have cheap labor ofcourse they are going to raise prices and if that happens, at year's end you will have paid more (way more) for your vegetables than this tax.

If you really care so much then get all your buddies together and go pick tomatoes under the scorching sun for thirteen hours, 7 days a week and don't you dare ask to get paid more than what i"illegals" do. Oh yeah, and no whining. If you get hurt, live with it because you don't have health insurance, are you crazy, you know how much that would cost the farm owner! Oh yeah, and if you have child you better teach him how to read yourself because he does not deserve an education, hell no, the boy will get smart and might grow up someday to be an astronaut.

I don't want to see you in a taco shop either cause your just feeding the system (and being hypocritical). Also, when you see a gorgeous señorita, don't even think about it...she could be illegal...uuuUUH.

Please buddy, get a clue or go buy a little sense of humanity, wait that's free. Putting the blame on undocumented workers on the state woes is old, annoying and just plain stupid. You said it yourself, agriculture is only ~2% of the state economy and that's where the majority of "illegals" work. How can 2% affect the state economy so bad that we need this vehicle reg tax?

You know who to blame, have the bal*s to face them and not defenseless people. Like it or not, migrants make your life better every day.

RIGHT AND RIGHT.

Last edited by djbit; 09-16-2003 at 10:11 AM.
Old 09-16-2003, 10:32 AM
NTRIGUE

What will I actually be paying on top of dealer price to REG my new 350Z? Price example $35,200?

Tommorrow?

After OCT01?
Old 09-16-2003, 10:40 AM
Xeinth

I dont disagree with the value of what migrant workers provide, although I dont believe its as abosultely critcal as you seem to believe. I have a problem with you making up facts to support your argument. That was my point.

X
Old 09-16-2003, 10:56 AM
nbdyfcnsqnc
350Z-holic

If you really care so much then get all your buddies together and go pick tomatoes under the scorching sun for thirteen hours, 7 days a week and don't you dare ask to get paid more than what i"illegals" do. Oh yeah, and no whining. If you get hurt, live with it because you don't have health insurance, are you crazy, you know how much that would cost the farm owner! Oh yeah, and if you have child you better teach him how to read yourself because he does not deserve an education, hell no, the boy will get smart and might grow up someday to be an astronaut.
First of all, people shouldn't have to work 14 hours 7 days a week, but they do because they need the money. They have a better life here than they'd have in Mexico, and that why they came. If we didn't have all these stupid laws about minimum wage and overtime, people could take these jobs legally and have all the protections that our legal system can provide.

Nobody *deserves* an education. It is *not* an entitlement. It's a RESPONSIBILITY. According to the system we have now, responsible people become valuable members of society and are forced to pay for education whether they want to or not, whether they agree with it or not, and whether it fails or not. When we make education free to people who can't afford it, we make it more expensive for those who could otherwise afford it, and we destroy the system for everyone, including the poor illegal aliens.

Health care is not an entitlement or a right either. When we pay for everyone's health care, as taxpayers now pay for 50% of it, we drive up the price, lessen the amount doctors can make, and it dries up so that it can serve nobody. Farmers wouldn't pay for it; we the people who buy produce would pay for it. But it's not worth that much to pay people without skills. When we set a price to decide what unskilled labor "deserves," we don't magically create more money or social justice... we destroy markets and all the opportunity for people to make money in those markets, from farmers to lettuce pickers.

And don't give me BS about how I hate immigrants, because they ARE this country. My grandfather came here legally, not able to speak English, and he was a fisherman his whole life. I have never had anything but appreciation and respect for him. What I don't like are people who break the law and don't pay taxes, and neither did he. If legal immigration causes the price of lettuce to go up, so be it, but at least it won't destroy our state.

Last edited by nbdyfcnsqnc; 09-16-2003 at 11:05 AM.
Old 09-16-2003, 11:05 AM
nwind21

Originally posted by xcmpx
What will I actually be paying on top of dealer price to REG my new 350Z? Price example $35,200?

Tommorrow?

After OCT01?
Technically it's not the registration fee that went up, but the licensing fee which is similar to property tax.

Any car registered/licensed after Oct. 1 will pay 2% of the total price.

Any car registered/licensed before Oct. 1 supposedly can prepay early to avoid the fee for one more year.

I don't think 1% is necessarily bad which is = property tax. It's the 0.69% to 2% jump that really is the killer.

Quick Reply: Gray Davis' CA car tax increase and a new Z