Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

BUY new Z or replace Trans?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 11:19 AM
aarantes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes keep fighting to get it replaced under warranty...

If that doesn't work just have it towed out of there and replace it yourself or with a mechanic. I just had mine done $1000 out the door for tranny and labor.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:32 PM
Lento

The fact that you bought a warranty, and something under warranty broke, it shouldn't even be a question of fixing it yourself

RAISE HELL!!!
Old 05-08-2009, 12:52 PM
Mikie13

Yeah I really don't understand why the warranty isn't being honored...especially since its only been 6 weeks, it was obviously sold to you not in tip-top condition.

I was only going to pay $275 a month for my 2003 when I bought it 5 weeks ago, but they offered the full warranty for another 4 years so given the possibility of tranny issues and other things such as the window motors and what not, I went for it simply for peace of mind.

Sounds like both the Audi Dealer effed you over...and then called the Nissan dealer to eff you over as well...
Old 05-08-2009, 02:49 PM
cmoose11

Originally Posted by Lento
The fact that you bought a warranty, and something under warranty broke, it shouldn't even be a question of fixing it yourself

RAISE HELL!!!
i made a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and Since American Financial owns Master Tech and is under the BBB's list of better business' they have to resolve my dispute.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:40 PM
foreveryoung

Originally Posted by Mikie13
Yeah I really don't understand why the warranty isn't being honored...especially since its only been 6 weeks, it was obviously sold to you not in tip-top condition.

I was only going to pay $275 a month for my 2003 when I bought it 5 weeks ago, but they offered the full warranty for another 4 years so given the possibility of tranny issues and other things such as the window motors and what not, I went for it simply for peace of mind.

Sounds like both the Audi Dealer effed you over...and then called the Nissan dealer to eff you over as well...
If the car was sold that way,of course the wty company won't pay for it.It was a pre exsisting condition.Like buying a car with body damage and then asking your insurance company to fix it.OP,exactly why is the wty company denying the repair??
Old 05-09-2009, 05:35 AM
QNman

Changed my mind... see below.

Last edited by QNman; 05-09-2009 at 05:42 AM.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:42 AM
QNman

Originally Posted by cmoose11
i made a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and Since American Financial owns Master Tech and is under the BBB's list of better business' they have to resolve my dispute.
NOW you're talking!

You may also consider finding an attorney and having them write a nice letter to both the warranty company and the dealer, stating their intent to sue for the fix. Be sure to have the attorney inform the dealers insurance company too. The ins co will want a fast and cheap solution - the dealer should participate in this fix.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:40 AM
Barnabas
National Z Club President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same thing happen to me... I asked to see higher, asked to see higher, I went as high as I needed to to get it done.

Then for all my trouble I made them put in a brand new 06 model trans instead of a rebuilt one. Havent had a single problem since then.

If you go high enough up the line eventually you will get noticed. If not read your warrenty paperwork and sue if they are violating anything in there.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:05 AM
JAbraham03

I kinda traveled down the same road. Sorry to hear that you are having similar issues. I bought an 04 from a honda dealership with 52k on the car. They give you the whole story of how they wouldnt have a car on the lot if it had been in an accident or blah blah blah because it would hurt their rep. Well anyways, come to find out the car had a new rebuilt tranny and engine put into the car 3 months prior. Which in some ways I wasnt too upset about since the car was more like a 20k car as far as engine and drive train. I took it back to the dealership because there was a rattle and they said that they couldnt find anything wrong. I was figuring it was due to a heat shield on the exhaust and asked them to look at it along with the ebrake to make sure it was fully disengaging. They said they couldnt ding anything. I took it to another place for an oil change and when they had it up I asked them if I could look under it and they said sure. Found a bolt missing right out from the muffler bracket right next to the heat shield. Goes to show how little the dealerships acutally try to work on something that they sold.

As far as the warranty they tried to get me to buy one. I didnt cause the 4 year 48k milage was $5800 with a $200 deposit so I would hate to see what you paid for that and they still wouldnt honor it. If I were you I would call and cancel your warranty and get the money back for that and that would cover the cost of your new tranny.
I thought something was wrong with my syncros too but the more posts that you read you will find that people say to learn to love / hate it.

Hope some is useful with this.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:00 PM
kdizzle711

The car i bought 6 weeks ago has the syncros completely gone. Its at the local Nissan dealer cause i had an extended warranty i bought through the Audi dealer i got it from. Long story short the warranty company screwed me over and they aren't covering it. The dealer is a piece and don't care that i got screwed. the Nissan dealer said they would try and help me out by getting me into a 06' roadster touring they have but it has a 21k price tag since it only has 30k on it. They said that the most they could give me for my car would be around 6k since it needs a new trans.

The toss up is whether to buy a new Z or replace the trans. pricing out a trans came out to be around $3500 w/ new drive shaft and labor. I would have done the work myself if i knew i was going to be paying for the fix.

thanks,
i I just bought an 03 with tranny problems... had l105k... got it cheap.. many trannys are available throughout the states.. less than 800.00 iI bought this car for a daily driver to avoid driving my tt z.. you might remember the z.. it was owned by big bri out of california... car is still alive and well... keep your car and fix it...
Old 05-19-2009, 03:13 PM
RedBird

you think you can find a lawyer you can talk to about this, you may have rights that you don't know about.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:37 PM
RDR350Z

Default Yeap, make the warranty honor it

My previous car was a 2003 Audi A4 1.8T. I purchased it from Carmax with the 'Max Care' 5yr/60k extended warranty for an additional ~2k (car had 33k miles).

3 months down the road the car throws a check engine light and needs a crank case ventilation hose assembly. The warranty company tries to not honor the repair because they do not cover hoses, I had to 3-way call the dealer rep and the warranty company in the end to get them to agree this was classified as a hose in the Audi parts system but was in fact an assembly that included a valve (the part that failed). Audi then had to fax a picture of the part to the warranty company before they paid out for it.

A month later, I notice the power steering is whining so I stop by the dealer and they top off the fluid (it was getting cold out and they claimed it was the temperature change). Two weeks later the fluid is again low so they check out the car and find the rack is leaking and replace it on warranty for close to 2k total.

Move a few months further down the line and the A/C is no longer blowing cold air, new A/C compressor = another ~2k covered by the warranty.

The final straw came during a road trip to a friend's property near Texarkana, TX. One of the C/V joints went out on the drive and the car shook violently the entire drive back. This was the final ~600-800 dollar job the warranty covered.

I then sold the Audi thinking I have a lemon and it's only a matter of time until I need to replace something else (including the lingering timing belt job) not covered by the warranty; so I purchased a real car, the 2007 350Z I drive today.

The warranty company in the end covered over triple what I paid for it and then repaid an additional percentage of my purchase price when I canceled (pro-rated based on the miles/months left of coverage) which came out to roughly 1300.

The lesson I learned from the whole experience is if the warranty says they cover an item, they cover it. Chances are I know more about my car (or cars in general) than the phone support person they have working for the warranty company, it just takes calm reasoning in order to sort out any misunderstandings. DO NOT RELY ON A DEALER TO SORT IT OUT FOR YOU.

Also, the mentality to have with extended warranties is if you plan on doing major work on the car yourself, stay away from the ext. warranty programs. However, if this is a DD and you plan on taking it to a dealer for maintenance, shop around for an extended warranty and pick one up. They can be life savers.

-RDR
Old 05-19-2009, 03:55 PM
cmoose11

american financial didn't want to touch the case and said that they only own master tech and to forward all doc.'s to master tech only. will see hows this ends up. tomorrow i pick up the car though....$4100 is a kick to the junk.

The upside i got a JWT clutch kit, JWT flywheel, new drive shaft, and CD009 trans. Next year ill be debating SC, TT, or T kit.

Last edited by cmoose11; 05-19-2009 at 04:00 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:06 PM
bogie1519

Originally Posted by siruis
That roadster is way overpriced. I had the chance to buy a 2008 GT roadster with 10k miles for 23k, but i hate how the convertibles look so i got a brand new for the a little more

your right roadster over priced. i just bought an 05 with 12,000 miles
on it for 19,000. question is why is insurance policy not paying off screwed there
Old 05-20-2009, 08:41 AM
Pharaohabq

Well nice to hear it's fixed, but don't drop the case. Keep talking to the companies, and ask to talk to people's bosses. $4100 is more than enough for a legal case. Still Why did they not want to cover it? Perhaps post us a PDF of your warranty document. They would need to tell you specifically why they would not cover your repair...
Old 05-20-2009, 10:06 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

american financial didn't want to touch the case and said that they only own master tech and to forward all doc.'s to master tech only. will see hows this ends up. tomorrow i pick up the car though....$4100 is a kick to the junk.

The upside i got a JWT clutch kit, JWT flywheel, new drive shaft, and CD009 trans. Next year ill be debating SC, TT, or T kit.

Why did you need a new drive shaft??
Old 05-20-2009, 02:54 PM
cmoose11

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
Why did you need a new drive shaft??
the u-joint on the differential side was binding up on deceleration.

Got the car back today. i like the JWT setup nice stock feel and the chatter isn't as loud as people say. The only thing that i have to get use to is how fast the rpms go up when your trying to take off, its a whole new learning how to start in 1st.