Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Damn Front License Plate Holes !!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 11:10 PM
Yielar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Damn Front License Plate Holes !!!

It's the law here in British Columbia, Canada for every vehicle to have a front license plate but I don't like the look of it so I'm going to take a chance on a ticket. I've decided that it's a real fricken eye sore when looking at my super black Z from the front. So I decided to take it off the other day thinking that it was just mounted with some bracket through the grill. Once I get the plate off I notice that there are two HOLES in my bumper !! I'm wondering if anyone else has taken off there dealer installed front plate and got the holes filled? The front bumper is constructed of fairly thin plastic and I'm wondering if it would be feasible to fill and look good for years to come? It just seems that every picture I see of a Z on this forum has no front plate !? Looks so much better in my opinion.

Yielar
Old 09-25-2003, 11:41 PM
yobri
350Z-holic

Happened to many of us. MOST cases involved little dealer rectification.

Did they gouge your bumper with the screws that affix the plate to the holder? Were your drilled holes a little smaller than the diameter of an American dime? Both yes for me, but the first one I got the dealer to fix.
Old 09-26-2003, 06:54 AM
zunzet

Dealers blow. They destroyed my nose with the stupid plate. When I took it off, I was horrified. Salesman said would fix, but after several attempts, dealer reneged.
Having local shop take care of it.

Live and learn.
Old 09-26-2003, 07:32 AM
junglist350Z

i specifically told the dealer NOT to put the front plate bracket on my car when i went to pick it up
Old 09-26-2003, 07:35 AM
yobri
350Z-holic

See most people here didn't subscribe to posting boards before the purchase.... so we didn't know that the plate was affixed with 'drilled' holes... (just doesn't make any sense...)

I had the impression that it was somehow connected around the top lip of the bumper upon pickup.

New buyers would be fortunate to read these posts and learn from our experiences.
Old 09-26-2003, 07:49 AM
kopo

I actually just picked mine up from the dealer. When I was getting my car a month ago I told my dealer I will not get it unless it doesn't have the lecense plate. The only one they found had predrilled plates and he offered to cover the fixing of the hole. They filled in the wholes, wetsanded the bumper, and respreayed the whole thing. Looks a million times better. No problems what so ever with the dealer backing out of this deal.
Old 09-26-2003, 11:38 AM
ariZona

Wow, its been a long time since I posted or even got on this site! Once I got my Z (August of 2003), I concerned myself with driving it versus reading about it. Anyway, I am one of the people who told my dealership NOT to put on the cheesy front license plate holder with the dealer's name printed all over it because Arizona does not require a front license plate. Long story short, the dealer screwed up and drilled holes in my brand new sports car so they could advertise where it came from. I took it straight to the owner of the dealership, and he fixed my problem by ordering me a new bumper, which they then had to paint match (Daytona Blue). It probably cost them about 800-1000 dollars in profits on my car after all was said and done, just because they wouldn't listen. Bottom line: Get it in writing (like I did) what you do and don't want them to do to your car - then you have a leg to stand on!

ariZona
Old 09-26-2003, 12:15 PM
Stabber

http://www.bumperplugs.com
Old 09-26-2003, 12:24 PM
Montez

Wow nice find but they are expensive, bu the dealers got alot of us I told them donot put them or the Dealer advitisor sticker on my 350 nor my Max which I took delivery of the same day. When we got their My wife said what in the **** we told them dont do that ****, so they gave me life time oil changes on both cars to make up, they also had the nerve to put that Bankston Nissan advitisor sticker on my trunk and hatch they had to get that **** off before I took deliver as well!

Last edited by Montez; 09-26-2003 at 12:41 PM.
Old 09-26-2003, 12:32 PM
alienx

Yea, the dealer got me too. Didn't know of the problem in time to ask them not to do it.

Sucks too because the predelivery paperwork that was in my glovebox specifically tells the dealer NOT to dril the plate unless the customer specifies that they do it. Simply include the plate holder with the car.

Like someone else said, Live and learn!
Old 09-26-2003, 12:40 PM
aproy

will those bumper plugs fit the Z?
Old 09-26-2003, 12:47 PM
yobri
350Z-holic

Originally posted by alienx
Sucks too because the predelivery paperwork that was in my glovebox specifically tells the dealer NOT to dril the plate unless the customer specifies that they do it. Simply include the plate holder with the car.
Whoa! With that paper, you MIGHT have some recourse to get that fixed.
Old 09-26-2003, 12:56 PM
Montez

Originally posted by aproy
will those bumper plugs fit the Z?
They have some for the Z just take a look.
Old 09-26-2003, 01:02 PM
alienx

Originally posted by yobri
Whoa! With that paper, you MIGHT have some recourse to get that fixed.

You know, I guess you are right, but I haven't been to that dealer since I picked up the car. They ran me around really good just trying to get the "we owe" stuff like my trunk matt. So we have a bad relationship now.
Old 09-26-2003, 01:34 PM
Yielar

I'm not sure I would be able to live with even the bumper plug look . I think I'm going to get a quote from my bodyshop to completely refinish my front bumper ( get all the little rock chips out ) and put an extra coat or two of clear on top. I bet it won't cost me more than $300 Cdn plus I'll be able to start from scratch.....no pun intended.

Yielar

Super Black Performance
Old 09-26-2003, 06:16 PM
aproy

Originally posted by Montez
They have some for the Z just take a look.
i just ordered them, i guess ill see how they fit in a couple of days, ill make sure to keep you posted. . .
Old 09-26-2003, 08:52 PM
Norel350Z

Default i got some bumper plugs yesterday

My bumper plugs came yesterday, installed them with the UPS man still standing there.. people who saw the car before and after have remarked on how OEM it looks. They say i looks like the car was ment to come with them. Great match with my SS 04. No i just gotta do away with the 2 scratches from the plate that the dealer put there.

I def recommend the bumper plugs as a cheep alternative to paying a body shop to fill sand and spray the holes. THey aren't flush but they look damn good for 30 bucks

-Brendan
Old 09-26-2003, 09:21 PM
Buub

My dealer actually asked me. "Do you want us to put the license plate bracket on? We have to drill holes and lots of guys prefer to leave it off."

Glad he told me. :-)
Old 09-26-2003, 09:35 PM
yobri
350Z-holic

Default Re: i got some bumper plugs yesterday

Originally posted by Norel350Z
My bumper plugs came yesterday, installed them with the UPS man still standing there.. people who saw the car before and after have remarked on how OEM it looks. They say i looks like the car was ment to come with them. Great match with my SS 04. No i just gotta do away with the 2 scratches from the plate that the dealer put there.

I def recommend the bumper plugs as a cheep alternative to paying a body shop to fill sand and spray the holes. THey aren't flush but they look damn good for 30 bucks

-Brendan
About approximately how large are the holes on your bumper? Mine are probably the size of the fat crayons that they give young kids (pretty darn large, if you ask me).
Old 09-27-2003, 02:32 AM
haria05161

Norel350Z & Yobri,

May I know where do you order your bumper plug ? Thanks

Quick Reply: Damn Front License Plate Holes !!!