Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Some people get way too carried away when it comes to bashing the Z's auto tranny

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 08:41 PM
SirSpeedyZ

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tanabe350z
no saying that driving an auto z is having no ********* shows that you yourself are sackless. my roomate had a turbo sc400 and i bet you would say something different after taking a ride in that, it was an auto. just because its an auto doesnt make it any less of a car. you are entitled to your opinion whether auto or manual, but to bash someone else for choosing what you dont like is just plain stupid. let me ask you this, someone buys volk rims for their car and you buy enkies. now do they have no ********* cause they bought the rims you wouldnt have. or if someone buys a sc and you say they have no ********* because you would have gone turbo. everyone gets a choice at what they want to drive, and who gave you the power to tell anyone that they have no ********* for driving an auto. why dont you open your eyes to people opinions, yes its a sports car but i dont see all sports cars coming is manuals, Lambos Ferrari's ect. so why dont you just love the car you love and let other love thiers, if they didnt want an auto they wouldnt have bought it.
jeez, you are missing my point.
Everyone is entitled to their own choices, I was giving my opinion, wheels, different styles are a different matter to me. Buying an auto sports car (to me) is dumb and negates the decision to buy a sports car in the first place. I think they are boring. Paddle-shifting high performance cars IMO are a different story, I obviously don't think F1 cars are ghey because they don't have manual trannys.

I have also seen many threads saying, man I wish I had bought a manual Z so my auto Z is for sale/FT.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:46 PM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

who cares what anyone else thinks? some guys think they are macho if they are super pro MT only. doesn't really matter either way.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:58 PM
quiksilver38

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

o i forgot my one exemption to driving an auto. i would get one if i lived in the city (san Fransisco) or any big city with tons of hills and TRAFFIC!! TRAFFIC is the only downfall to driving a stick
Old 06-14-2009, 10:45 PM
JJ350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by quiksilver38
o i forgot my one exemption to driving an auto. i would get one if i lived in the city (san Fransisco) or any big city with tons of hills and TRAFFIC!! TRAFFIC is the only downfall to driving a stick
Funny for you to mention that, because I happen to live in the SF bay area
When I'm not there, I'm around LA, and that's just about as bad. It's why I don't get why so many people have a hard understanding why I got an auto even after I tell them where I drive it around. You would have to simply be shortsighted to get a stick in these parts unless the Z is your weekend toy car. However I need my Z to be a full functioning car, so my needs seem to be different from the typical sports car driver anyways. I just love the overall package that the Z has to offer when it comes to character, performance, and styling. It just so happens that I want to drive around my state without getting a leg and head ache.

Anyone who doesn't understand this must live in some rural flat *** part of the country.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:07 AM
zerafian

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Pros and cons to both I suppose...I live in Orlando where theres a stop light every 500 yards so a standard transmission would suck..Plus I'v only ever driven stick 3 times in my life and I have yet to get the urge to learn. The clutchless shift works just fine when I want to drive aggressively.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:11 AM
ny garbage_juice

there are def pros and cons for both auto and manual. BUT if you purchase a "sports" car then having a auto should not be in ur mind.

If you cant drive stick-learn
if u reallllllly want auto...buy a sedan

ive driven the auto Z and G and it just dont feel like the same car at all as my manual Z
Old 06-15-2009, 08:38 AM
cgy350z

There seems to be a lot of defensive auto owners...

If you are ok with having an auto then leave it at that, no point in shedding light on the subject by making a post if you truely don't care.

I think the preception of auto owners is that they can't drive a stick and I think it's a pretty common understanding that to get the most out of any car, especially a sports car, then a manual is required.

Say what you will about how it's easier and convenient it is to have an auto, just know that nothing is free so you are giving up something to get another. Just like having a roadster, is it as fast as a coupe, no but a coupe can't go topless.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:51 AM
35oZephyR

Originally Posted by cgy350z
There seems to be a lot of defensive auto owners...

If you are ok with having an auto then leave it at that, no point in shedding light on the subject by making a post if you truely don't care.
Well said.

It's not like anyone else's views will be changed. But if fellow auto owners need to support each other, that's cool too.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:42 AM
Liquidice944

Originally Posted by JJ350
I don't know WTF is it with some people, but it seems like there is a very unnecessary abundance of e-thug boy racer wannabe's that have a very questionable hatred for any Z that has an automatic transmission. Now for starters I know that I don't have the best 350Z in the world, but I like to think that I have a damm nice one. I mean I put a lot of money, time, research, and work into getting my Z to where it is today, and yet it seems like there are some forum's out there where people just hate on my car endlessly just because of the transmission.

Now I am not the kind of person that really cares when someone has something negative to say about my car since I know what it is capable of, I love it, I know where I stand with it, and I wouldn't have it any other way. However I just can't help but to find it puzzling how some people can be such haters with my car, and completely disregard how well tuned and modified my car is and blindly consider it terrible and try to bash me for it just because it's got a torque converter. I mean I always thought you would have to be a complete ignorant moron to talk **** about a modified car that you have no conception over, but that's just me. I don't know if it's some kind of jealously inspired defense mechanism, or if some people are just that damm ignorant when it comes to transmissions, but I just don't understand where this all comes sometimes. It just all seems so completely... unnecessary.

Since when was it so bad to not conform to the same ideals as every one else and actually have a mind of your own? What happened to just simply respecting people's taste and work?
Agreed Agreed. I drive an auto 04 z and hear this all the time. My friends with SI's and GLI's etc with MT's give crap to me all the time. Its funny too because my auto z is still way faster then their cars just like it is over most DD cars. Also people say "You have more control, and you can get getter gas mileage". Well with the "Manual Gate"(The term i believe that is used in the book) does this even hold true anymore?The Manual gate allows you to keep it in any gear you want allowing you have better control. I think that is really a big thing.As far as the lag goes, let me ask you guys this. If you were to do a quarter mile or whatever without using the manual gate and then do one using it, you would record different times correct? So if you were to use the manual gate efficiently, id imagine you would record a faster time then not using it. Or would it be so minimal that it wouldnt matter? Id like to know though.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:03 AM
Manjot

It's your car and as long as you're happy it doesn't matter what people think.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:06 AM
Bumble Z

people always have their ignorant opinions cuz your different and your not a moron like them i have an auto (but stay using the trip tonic i do wish it was manual) but still a fun car still turns heads..imo *** em haters put you on top cuz u have wat they cant have
Old 06-15-2009, 10:26 AM
My Revenge

Originally Posted by SirSpeedyZ
jeez, you are missing my point.
Everyone is entitled to their own choices, I was giving my opinion, wheels, different styles are a different matter to me. Buying an auto sports car (to me) is dumb and negates the decision to buy a sports car in the first place. I think they are boring. Paddle-shifting high performance cars IMO are a different story, I obviously don't think F1 cars are ghey because they don't have manual trannys.

I have also seen many threads saying, man I wish I had bought a manual Z so my auto Z is for sale/FT.
so whats the difference between the twin turbo GTR and a twin turbo'd 350z? other than price. the Z would be less of a car, twin turbo and all jut because it happens to be auto, but the GTR is a manly man car because its a GTR?
Old 06-15-2009, 11:09 AM
Darkpath

Originally Posted by SirSpeedyZ
I always thought enthusiasts like to drive their car and be a part of the process as much as possible so they have a 6MT. I'd rather have a manual civic than a auto Z.

The choice for trans is a simple
No ********* = auto
This often stated opinion, is common only to those who believe their sexual prowess is somehow measured by the kind of car that they drive.

In terms such as the last one quoted above, I wonder what Freud would say to such an observation, or what multitude of correlations he would draw from writer's stated need to ride around in public 'jerking' on a ****...

Jealousy - is the highest form of compliment...
Old 06-15-2009, 11:12 AM
*ICE*

Just do this stealthy mod and people will have no idea.

https://my350z.com/forum/7112278-post208.html

Seriously tho, I hate it when people giving me **** about auto but when they get into the passenger seat and i go WOT.. their jaws just dropped and they STFU... that is a priceless moment.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:16 AM
JEKL

Originally Posted by Bumble Z
imo *** em haters put you on top cuz u have wat they cant have
I know I brought it up before, but are you people really ignorant enough to think someone is hating on you for having an auto Z? LOL. If it is coming from a guy driving a Pinto thentrag it maybe haying. But if it is coming from someone with a manual sports car then you are being clowned, not hated.

Originally Posted by My Revenge
but the GTR is a manly man car because its a GTR?
Not this arguement again! You are comparing apples and oranges. The trip tronic in the Z is no more sophisticated that the one in the Hyundai rental car I had last week.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:16 AM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Pff, autos are for losers.

Get a real car with a man's transmission, pansies.

But srsly... don't compare a "normal" auto transmission like the Z's to the GTR's. They're very different.

http://forums.gtrforums.com/vbarticl...e&articleid=23
Old 06-15-2009, 11:27 AM
Liquidice944

Originally Posted by jekl1000
I know I brought it up before, but are you people really ignorant enough to think someone is hating on you for having an auto Z? LOL. If it is coming from a guy driving a Pinto thentrag it maybe haying. But if it is coming from someone with a manual sports car then you are being clowned, not hated.

Not this arguement again! You are comparing apples and oranges. The trip tronic in the Z is no more sophisticated that the one in the Hyundai rental car I had last week.
But its still an automatic none the less isnt it homo?
Old 06-15-2009, 11:31 AM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

i love driving a manual, its makes driving fun.

i love driving an automatic, it makes driving fun.

which sentence holds more water...

nothing wrong with having an automatic, but it a manual just makes the driving experience whole. nothing beats and automatic in traffic though.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:36 AM
My Revenge

Originally Posted by Spork

But srsly... don't compare a "normal" auto transmission like the Z's to the GTR's. They're very different.

http://forums.gtrforums.com/vbarticl...e&articleid=23
ok, but if you were modding the Z, i mean REALLY modding the Z. why would you leave the tranny the way it is? it wouldnt handle it too well i dont think. and for 80K i think you could possibly have a better tranny than the GTR. the GTR is sold "modded" it has a twin turbo, and performance parts. pout those parts (well, similar parts) into a Z and the Z is less of a car due to its auto tranny? how?
Old 06-15-2009, 11:44 AM
ZKansasZ

so this is another endless thread about auto vs mt Z, like the other 1001 threads?

Quick Reply: Some people get way too carried away when it comes to bashing the Z's auto tranny