Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Some people get way too carried away when it comes to bashing the Z's auto tranny

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 05:18 PM
JJ350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some people get way too carried away when it comes to bashing the Z's auto tranny

I don't know WTF is it with some people, but it seems like there is a very unnecessary abundance of e-thug boy racer wannabe's that have a very questionable hatred for any Z that has an automatic transmission. Now for starters I know that I don't have the best 350Z in the world, but I like to think that I have a damm nice one. I mean I put a lot of money, time, research, and work into getting my Z to where it is today, and yet it seems like there are some forum's out there where people just hate on my car endlessly just because of the transmission.

Now I am not the kind of person that really cares when someone has something negative to say about my car since I know what it is capable of, I love it, I know where I stand with it, and I wouldn't have it any other way. However I just can't help but to find it puzzling how some people can be such haters with my car, and completely disregard how well tuned and modified my car is and blindly consider it terrible and try to bash me for it just because it's got a torque converter. I mean I always thought you would have to be a complete ignorant moron to talk **** about a modified car that you have no conception over, but that's just me. I don't know if it's some kind of jealously inspired defense mechanism, or if some people are just that damm ignorant when it comes to transmissions, but I just don't understand where this all comes sometimes. It just all seems so completely... unnecessary.

Since when was it so bad to not conform to the same ideals as every one else and actually have a mind of your own? What happened to just simply respecting people's taste and work?

Last edited by JJ350; 06-13-2009 at 05:21 PM.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:25 PM
Greg06

Screw em..Who cares what a bunch of faceless (kids and jerks) strangers think? Enjoy what you have.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:34 PM
blktrack350

i would take my manual over any auto z for my daily driver just because i enjoy driving a manual. but it is your car and you like it this way so who cares.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:52 PM
JEKL

Do you drive it like an auto or do you use the trip tronic and pretend you have a manual?
Old 06-13-2009, 06:41 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Old 06-13-2009, 06:43 PM
nelson83099

sooooo...I have an auto too and i get **** from people too. But i don't really give a crap b/c i don't race it so it makes no difference to me.. yea would i like a manual of course. But i did not feel like taking the time to find a car with a manual. ... Any way you have a supper charger with your auto? waht kind of power it making? i would love to put one in my car
Old 06-13-2009, 06:49 PM
damn_rookie

that's how you know you doing something right is when youu have haters.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:49 PM
zcar_dad

Two years in row at the Branson Z Fest my 07 AT has come in first in the Bracket Racing Event over many manuals both 350s and other Z years. I know what my car can do and just keep dialing in winning times. After they lose they don't do much bashing.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:50 PM
2pink1stink

# When choosing between manual and automatic, one of the considerations is power.

* If you want the most power from your engine, going with a manual transmission versus an automatic is most likely going to be your best bet.
* While some modern automatic transmissions, i.e. CVT transmissions, manumatics, and conventional 4 or 5-speed automatic transmissions allow for some excellent acceleration, there is still usually a substantial difference in 0-60 times between these types of automatics and a 5 or 6-speed manual transmission.
o For example, an automatic equipped Dodge Neon has a reported 0-60 MPH time of approximately 10.5 seconds.
o The same Neon when equipped with a 5-speed manual has a reported 0-60 time of 8.1 seconds; a huge difference.
* While most cars do not have this large of a 0-60 MPH gap between auto and manual transmissions, 99 percent of the time you will receive noticeably better performance from a manual gearbox.

# The acceleration offered from a vehicle when equipped with a manual transmission is usually superior for a number of reasons; most predominantly due to gear ratios and the availability for more precise shifting. To explain, if you own a car that receives 200 horsepower @ 7,000 RPM, but your automatic transmission will up-shift under full throttle at only 6,000 RPM, you probably will never feel the full amount of power that your engine was made to offer. So, your engine may be stamped with a 200 horsepower rating, but because your car is equipped with an automatic that up-shifts too soon, you may be missing up to 20% of available power. On the other side, with most manual transmissions, you can usually take the engine revs to redline (or past). This enables you to get the most power possible to the front, rear, or all 4 wheels under full throttle take-offs.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:59 PM
Amirs350z

Originally Posted by akim026
screw what others say. big deal if you get an auto. maybe some people don't know how to drive stick, or maybe they just prefer auto. It's a matter of personal choice, so I don't know why people make a big deal out of it. Sure, it's a sports car, but not all sports cars are manual.
The wife doesn't know how to drive a manual and isn't willing to learn. Also, I find the automatic just as fun when put into tiptronic. The used 911S I have is stick anyway so when I get the inkling on a nice day to drive a manual I have a vehicle to drive. Obviously if I needed her help I'd be screwed lol.

OP, it sucks when people hate, especially when they ask "why did you dump so much money on an auto?" I've learned to get over it because I enjoy my Z. I did most of the work, I take the painstaking time to detail it and make it look good on a daily basis. As long as YOU'RE happy with the car, which is appearent, that's all that matters. Let the haters hate and the ignorant be stubborn.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:05 PM
johns350

Originally Posted by 2pink1stink
# When choosing between manual and automatic, one of the considerations is power.

* While some modern automatic transmissions, i.e. CVT transmissions, manumatics, and conventional 4 or 5-speed automatic transmissions allow for some excellent acceleration, there is still usually a substantial difference in 0-60 times between these types of automatics and a 5 or 6-speed manual transmission.
Actually - if you compare 5-60 times, you will find the two transmissions MUCH more comparable. And that measurement is somewhat more relevant in the real world.

It basically comes down to personal preference and driver ability.

Whichever transmission, the Z is sweet. Ignore the bashers..
Old 06-13-2009, 08:19 PM
PDX_Racer

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

I agree. Ignore the ignorant bashers.

I've driven an 5AT and while I like my 6MT, the 5AT is an exceptionally good transmission. In fact, Nissan was the first to have a "blip to downshift" 5AT, and we're only just getting that in the 370Z 6MT. The 5AT is one of the better "manumatics" in that it's almost impossible to fool into an undesired upshift.

In the "old days" an automatic transmission seemed to "have a mind of its own." Those days are ancient history -- at least as far as the Nissan 5AT (and now 7AT in the 370Z).
Old 06-13-2009, 09:58 PM
DFW Z33
I am salad

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, as long as your driving a z, your all ready a hell of a lot better off than most people out there. the transmission is just a preference, not something to hate on. Im a 6mt fan myself, but i have to admit, the 370z has one of the crispest ATs ive ever driven! (and im a valet, so ive driven LOTS of NICE cars)
Old 06-13-2009, 11:43 PM
tanabe350z

people bash me all the time for my auto, then we hit the strip and they all shut up. if you love your car like i do, and i cannot drive a 6spd like i want to cause of a messed up knee, then who cares, i tell the hates to **** off. i drive a z because i love it. nuff said let the haters hate
Old 06-14-2009, 12:04 AM
Silkfiveseven

Originally Posted by Amirs350z
OP, it sucks when people hate, especially when they ask "why did you dump so much money on an auto?" I've learned to get over it because I enjoy my Z. I did most of the work, I take the painstaking time to detail it and make it look good on a daily basis. As long as YOU'RE happy with the car, which is appearent, that's all that matters. Let the haters hate and the ignorant be stubborn.
just get a manual shift **** and shift boot

no one will know unless they ride in your car.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:18 AM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JJ350
Since when was it so bad to not conform to the same ideals as every one else and actually have a mind of your own?
Ever since "emo" became a fad.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:30 AM
XV8Crisis

Originally Posted by zcar_dad
Two years in row at the Branson Z Fest my 07 AT has come in first in the Bracket Racing Event over many manuals both 350s and other Z years. I know what my car can do and just keep dialing in winning times. After they lose they don't do much bashing.
they quiet down after they realize that no matter how much effort they put in, they can not beat a computer shifting, it will do the same thing everytime you accelerate.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:16 AM
SirSpeedyZ

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I always thought enthusiasts like to drive their car and be a part of the process as much as possible so they have a 6MT. I'd rather have a manual civic than a auto Z.

The choice for trans is a simple
No ********* = auto
Old 06-14-2009, 05:35 AM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by SirSpeedyZ
I always thought enthusiasts like to drive their car and be a part of the process as much as possible so they have a 6MT. I'd rather have a manual civic than a auto Z.

The choice for trans is a simple
No ********* = auto
No reason for the hating. An automatic can perform just as well as a manual and it is all down to personal choice. If a person wants an automatic.........more power to them. I would take an automatic Z over any Honda Civic........
Old 06-14-2009, 05:37 AM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Amirs350z
The wife doesn't know how to drive a manual and isn't willing to learn.
Obviously you're not beating her enough. I bet you don't even get tasty sammiches.

Quick Reply: Some people get way too carried away when it comes to bashing the Z's auto tranny