2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

My 350Z Rant

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2003, 11:45 AM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 03 350z Track model.

I agree with most of the comments on here. The Z is certainly is not without its quirks and its not the highest quality car I'v ever owned. The workmanship is good but not great. Certainly well below the quality found on BMW and Porsche but then it costs less than those cars.

The Z is definitely not for everyone, you either like the z or you don't. If your on the fence or unsure about it then I would suggest getting something else.

While its not the fastest car on the block, it is fast enough, handles very well, looks great, and is lots of fun. It may not sound like it, but I love the car, quirks and all.

Also, I don't think that sharing the engine with other models is negative either. However, it is true that very few of the mods available are yielding much power (except for the SC's).

If the Z isn't for you, the Mustang might be your best bet. Its fast, has decent enough looks (much better than the others you mentioned), reasonably priced, offers lots of aftermarket parts and is overall a bit more mainstream.

Good luck.
Old 10-16-2003, 11:57 AM
Jetpilot718

JFritz:

Want to know what makes the Z different from all the cars you have mentioned?

-->The fact that here you are, on a Z board, talking about how
other cars compare to a Z.

How many of us Z-car owners/enthusiasts spend time talking sh*t on mustang/neon/sti/evo forums?? I know I dont...

What do you want from us? To tell you to get a Z? To tell you not to get a Z? Make your own call bud - dont let other people tell you how to spend your money.
Old 10-16-2003, 12:15 PM
JFritz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Jetpilot718
JFritz:

Want to know what makes the Z different from all the cars you have mentioned?

-->The fact that here you are, on a Z board, talking about how
other cars compare to a Z.

How many of us Z-car owners/enthusiasts spend time talking sh*t on mustang/neon/sti/evo forums?? I know I dont...

What do you want from us? To tell you to get a Z? To tell you not to get a Z? Make your own call bud - dont let other people tell you how to spend your money.
if telling it like it is, is talking sh-t, then so be it.

all i was stating were facts. did i say the 350z was a piece of sh-t? no did i say there were cars that were faster and handled better? yes did i ask why you guys purchased yours? yes
as much as i loved my cars, there were faults about them. if someone brought them to my attention, id either agree or disageree, but wouldnt snivvle about it. quit being so f-ckin soft.

Last edited by JFritz; 10-17-2003 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10-16-2003, 12:31 PM
ktm
Banned

You need to check that attitude. You drove mullet cars before (yes, a new '93 z28 is still a mullet car) and talking out of your ***.

It is your money. Buy what the hell you want to buy. No one will be able to convince you one way or the other with the attitude you are fronting.

Personally, I love the Z. I traded my 2001 BMW 325Ci for the Z. While the interior of the Z does not have the fit and finish of a BMW, it sure as hell is nicer than any Ford, Chevy or Dodge.

The fact is with a Z you are buying a car with racing and sports car heritage that is over 30 years old.

An SRT is a Neon. No one other than the driver of an SRT is going to know the difference.

A WRX/STi is a fantastic car. I almost bought a WRX myself, but could not bring myself to spend $25k on a car that looks like an riced econo box. The outside of the car looks a bit "plastic" to me as well. Lastly, no one but the owner of a WRX Impreza knows what it can do. Most people who see one on the street think that it is a riced econo box.

The Evo 8 is a beautiful car too, but in the end it is a Mitsubishi. They do not have the greatest reputation for quality. Again, it looks like a riced Lancer and no one but the owner and enthusiasts know about the Evo.

A Cobra is a beast of a machine, but it is a Ford. Spending $35k on a Ford car is a waste of money, particularly if it is a Mustang. Secondly, a Cobra looks EXACTLY like a Mustang GT.

In the end it is all about personal preference.
Old 10-16-2003, 12:58 PM
OUfan

if Nissan still made the 92 TT Z they used too, i probably wouldn't even think twice. or maybe the 96 Toyota Supra. or the 93 RX7. Sure they were expensive in their day, but those are performance cars.
Depending on the model of Z you get, you are today spending $10,000 to nearly $20,000 less than you would have buying one of those cars when they were new... If you say you would buy a 92 TT just because of its performance, and are unhappy with the Z's stock performance, you have all that money ($10-$20g) for performance mods.

I have over 9k miles on my '03 track, and I'm still feeling that its a really solid car and don't regret the decision at all.

Last edited by OUfan; 10-16-2003 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10-16-2003, 01:05 PM
WashUJon

The Z33 (350Z) is every bit as good a performer as the Z32 TT(300ZX). The new Z weighs a lot less and handles every bit as good, if not better than the previous generation. There are a lot of little mechanical and electrical things that are much improved, as well. There's no crappy Super HICAS system in the 350Z, for instance. There are no dual mechanical throttle bodies either. The throttle is electronically controlled now and its very easy to use, since its so linear in actuation. Having as good performance in an NA car is a plus, if you ask me. There's no turbo lag and no coaking of turbos to worry about. The VDC system doesn't exist on a Z32. The list goes on and on...
Old 10-16-2003, 01:46 PM
Pit Bull

Originally posted by lascala26
Here is what to expect if you purchase the following cars in regard to the attention you'll receive:

STI and EVO- 13-22 year old boys in wife beaters making references to the Fast and Furious.

Mustang Cobra- Some gearhead talking about all the engines he's rebuilt and why Shelby designs are the best ever.

Z- You'll see necks breaking as you come down the street. Girls taking their tops off to get a ride (not that drastic, but you get the point), men of all ages consumed by extreme jealously as you role by. A truly pleasurable experience.

There aren't many cars on the street that have a better overall package than the Z. It might not be the fastest or the most practical car, but if you were to rate overall it would be one of the best, if not the best. I compare the Z to Walter "Sweetness" Payton. This is one of the greatest cars in recent times, it will be around for a while and when it's gone we will still be talking about it.
WOW, very well said. I think JFritz is leaning more towards the 0-60 high torque vehicle. Not a sports car. I've had them all and there is a difference in personality. My first Muscle car was a 1968 Chevelle SS with the 396 375 HP, it was a beast and did not even have power steering. I've also owned several Porsche's, 911 Carrera, 928S4 and a 944. My Acura NSX was the sweetest of all of my sport cars. I have only had my 350Z for not even 1 week but it is what I would call a sports car not a muscle car. Plus it is real good looking and has a ton of technical upgrades that are only found on cars twice it's price. If you want something that will behave like a muscle car and a sports car I would suggest you look at one of the new SL's that Mercedes just started selling. Good luck.
Old 10-16-2003, 01:57 PM
Dissolved

Originally posted by ktm
You need to check that attitude. You drove mullet cars before (yes, a new '93 z28 is still a mullet car) and talking out of your ***.

It is your money. Buy what the hell you want to buy. No one will be able to convince you one way or the other with the attitude you are fronting.

Personally, I love the Z. I traded my 2001 BMW 325Ci for the Z. While the interior of the Z does not have the fit and finish of a BMW, it sure as hell is nicer than any Ford, Chevy or Dodge.

The fact is with a Z you are buying a car with racing and sports car heritage that is over 30 years old.

An SRT is a Neon. No one other than the driver of an SRT is going to know the difference.

A WRX/STi is a fantastic car. I almost bought a WRX myself, but could not bring myself to spend $25k on a car that looks like an riced econo box. The outside of the car looks a bit "plastic" to me as well. Lastly, no one but the owner of a WRX Impreza knows what it can do. Most people who see one on the street think that it is a riced econo box.

The Evo 8 is a beautiful car too, but in the end it is a Mitsubishi. They do not have the greatest reputation for quality. Again, it looks like a riced Lancer and no one but the owner and enthusiasts know about the Evo.

A Cobra is a beast of a machine, but it is a Ford. Spending $35k on a Ford car is a waste of money, particularly if it is a Mustang. Secondly, a Cobra looks EXACTLY like a Mustang GT.

In the end it is all about personal preference.
^^This guy knows what's up
Old 10-16-2003, 02:10 PM
JFritz

What's really funny is i never threw a bash or insult to the Z (Maybe the all show and no go comment but please), and yet one of my cars in the mid 90's was a "mullet" car? the Z is $30K to $40K, hardly something you can claim that's exotic enough to make such snide remarks.

pardon me if your **** don't stink, but i don't recall many manufacturers in the mid 90's making affordable cars with great performance numbers. i bought that 93 Z28 in 95 for $15K from a dealer. It ran 14.2's bone stock. Had some 16" centerlines on it and eventually through NOS on it, and at the time, I could hardly consider it a "mullet" car.

mullet car. haha

Pitbull: like the mercedes, but I don't want to spend more than $31K.

Last edited by JFritz; 10-16-2003 at 02:23 PM.
Old 10-16-2003, 02:13 PM
Montez

Man some of these new guys come in here and get people "fired" up seems intentional almost by coming in here with comments like that (good or bad), if he gets a Z he want be happy with it IMO. Nuff said!
Old 10-16-2003, 02:21 PM
Conceyted

Originally posted by JFritz
What's really funny is i never threw a bash or insult to the Z (Maybe the all show and no go comment but please), and yet one of my cars in the mid 90's was a "mullet" car? the Z is $30K to $40K, hardly something you can claim that's exotic enough to make such snide remarks.

pardon me if your **** don't stink, but i don't recall many manufacturers in the mid 90's making affordable cars with great performance numbers. i bought that 93 Z28 in 95 for $15K from a dealer. It ran 14.2's bone stock. Had some 16" centerlines on it and eventually through NOS on it, and at the time, I could hardly consider it a "mullet" car.

mullet car. haha
do us all a favor and DON'T buy a Z.
Old 10-16-2003, 02:30 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

if Nissan still made the 92 TT Z they used too, i probably wouldn't even think twice. or maybe the 96 Toyota Supra. or the 93 RX7. Sure they were expensive in their day, but those are performance cars.

When I think of the Z, i see a bad *** looking sports car with no go? When they released this car, i thought it was going to be a step up from the 300Z.
FYI, check your data, the 300TT ranged from 5.2 to 5.9 on the 0-60 depending on the year. The 350Z is a 5.4-5.9 car. So, it is possible that a 350Z depending on the year is equal to the TT. Remember, the TT put out 300hp, the 350Z puts out 287, not much difference. The big difference is the handling between the 2 of them and cost. Overall, the 350 is a far better car than the 300TT and sales reflect it.

You seem to be fixed on straightline performance. Try checking out the article where the 350Z out performs a 911 carrea and BMW M3 on the track on lap times. If that is not important, buy a 1960's muscle car, build it.
Old 10-16-2003, 02:31 PM
soupnazi1

Most Z owners are friendly and courteous. Get something else.
Old 10-16-2003, 02:33 PM
JFritz

chris, obviously i struck a nerve. well, im glad you represent the 350z clan here with such honor.

like i said, read everyone of my posts. all i stated were facts. slow = slow in comparison to other cars in the price range. performance parts don't = a lot of net hp. i don't want to spend $31k to be beaten buy a little neon.

i think pitbull mentioned something about the difference between muscle car and sports car. sometimes i kind of combine the two without even thinking.
Old 10-16-2003, 02:35 PM
Conceyted

Originally posted by soupnazi1
Most Z owners are friendly and courteous. Get something else.
^what he said
Old 10-16-2003, 02:40 PM
JFritz

Chris is 18 years old. hahahahahhahahahah

im glad mom and dad could foot the bill.

i really didn't want to flame, but dude, your a baby.
Old 10-16-2003, 02:44 PM
Conceyted

Chris is 18 years old. hahahahahhahahahah

im glad mom and dad could foot the bill.

i really didn't want to flame, but dude, your a baby.
you said first year of college was '95? Oh, I am sorry your SO much more superior to me because your 6-8 years older than I am. Damn I was trying to hide my age because of this! Actually, it is there for everyone to see because I HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE. I PAYED in FULL for my z. My parents loaned me 8 grand which I have 3 grand left to pay off. Kiss my *** sucker, I own a Z and you don't.

PS: Thank you for visiting my website!

Last edited by Conceyted; 10-16-2003 at 02:47 PM.
Old 10-16-2003, 02:55 PM
Montez

chris, obviously i struck a nerve. well, im glad you represent the 350z clan here with such honor.

like i said, read everyone of my posts. all i stated were facts. slow = slow in comparison to other cars in the price range. performance parts don't = a lot of net hp. i don't want to spend $31k to be beaten buy a little neon.

i think pitbull mentioned something about the difference between muscle car and sports car. sometimes i kind of combine the two without even thinking.
Really the best thing for you to do is not get a 350 you want be totally or near totally happy with it by your responses, most of us are happy with it and its "measely' 287HP and 274 ftlb/torque. You should be looking into a slightly used 02 SS or TA and go back to your roots of straightline power(most of us could care less if the SRT-4 can hang or beat us to 60, racing isnt everthing its about style and quality), sloppy handling beast.

Last edited by Montez; 10-16-2003 at 03:51 PM.
Old 10-16-2003, 03:41 PM
ktm
Banned

Then don't buy a Z and go away. You do not have the right mindset to own this type of car. You would not buy a Porsche (if you had the money) because it would get owned by a Cobra in a straight line.

Idiot.

Quick Reply: My 350Z Rant