Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

My 350Z Rant

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2003, 10:44 PM
2Fishy4U

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fritz,

I am not sure where you got your data but the new Cobra is fatser and more expensive then your information. The new one is up to 390 HP and closer to $40,000.

I almost bought one but decided on the Z and am certain I made the right choice.

The Cobra is faster in a straight line, but neither shifts nor corners as well. There are also hundreds of Mustangs around here and except for the Cobra on the side they all look alike. I wanted something a bit more distinctive.
Old 10-17-2003, 06:28 AM
Azn03Z

low 12 sec car..
Old 10-17-2003, 06:40 AM
Beamm

Originally posted by KONVERTER
i havent seen any z's for a few days...
Knoverter...so true

I live in Miami and I'm keepin a tab on cars I see for fun...

In the month I owned my Z I've seen:
5 - 350z
2 - Ferrari
4 - G-Wagon
1,000 - Porsche
9874923874239847392847 - BMW

Only problem is I keep picking up HS girls because I look about half the age I am...
or is that a problem?
Old 10-17-2003, 07:05 AM
JFritz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2fishy4u,

www.edmunds.com

cobra convertible $38K

cobra coupe $32K

Z2K3,

good post, so true. that's the logic I have too.

Dissedent,
my main thing is, i don't want to spend $31K on a sports car and be beat by a $20k neon. is that too much to ask?

some of you folks need a reality check, i've never owned a foreign sports car. i've never test driven the Z. i went on this board with some questions, and made a few statements, all were true about the Z...... i loved the 300zx, twin turbo, it had such potential.....so if I seemed a little biased towards it, take a it with a grain of salt.

Conceyted,
your the troll. you keep lurking on this thread trying to stir sh-t up. you have enough problems as it is, so i will keep it simple. plus i'm sure after you finish taking out the garbage and made your bed, you'll post on here again.
Old 10-17-2003, 07:18 AM
ktm
Banned

So, you have never test drove the Z and you are calling it slow? Way to have an informed argument.

I will say it again. You have the wrong mentality with regards to the Z. You expect it to be a rocket in a straight line. Guess what, it's not, but it will beat the SRT on a road course.

By the way, here are some facts for you as determined by Car and Driver:

Car-Stats.com Report for 2003 Dodge Neon SRT-4
Obtained from C&D December, 2002
0-60: 5.6 Transmission: Manual
1/4 Mile: 14.2
1/4 Speed: 102

Car-Stats.com Report for 2003 Nissan 350Z Track
Obtained from C&D August, 2002
0-60: 5.4 Transmission: Manual
1/4 Mile: 14.1
1/4 Speed: 101

Car-Stats.com Report for 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX
Obtained from C&D October, 2001
0-60: 5.4 Transmission: Manual
1/4 Mile: 14.1
1/4 Speed: 96

You do realize that the 350Z has a normally aspirated engine, right? You do realize that all 287hp and 274 ft-lbs of torque come from an engine without turbo(s) or a supercharger.

The SRT, WRX and Evo 8 all have turbo charged 4-cylinder engines. Let me say it again: THEY ARE TURBO CHARGED. The Z is not. If you slap on a SC you can expect at least a 70 hp gain.

Lastly, do not act innocent. The title of your thread is "My 350Z Rant." That set the tone of the thread, but what made it worse is the fact that not only do you NOT OWN a Z, you have not even test drove one.
Old 10-17-2003, 07:25 AM
JFritz

ktm,
innocent? no. rant? yeah, i expected atleast 13.7 for the Z, but the average from the mags is around 14.2-14.3. how can i say a car is slow with out test driving? lets not be ignorant. i've owned 2 11 second cars, and 1 low 13 second car.

mags don't know what they're doing half the time at the track anyways, but ive been visiting this board for the last month, and ive seen questions like, what mods do i need to beat a lightly modded neon, or lightly modded WRX, and it makes me cringe.

when i said slow, i gave other cars in the Z's price range that had faster times, whether they had 4 doors or not. so, slow comparible to other cars in the price range.

"The SRT, WRX and Evo 8 all have turbo charged 4-cylinder engines. Let me say it again: THEY ARE TURBO CHARGED. The Z is not. If you slap on a SC you can expect at least a 70 hp gain."

i like warranty's on new cars. also, ive never had to make an excuse about the size of the motor or the air its suckin with the cars ive owned.

Last edited by JFritz; 10-17-2003 at 07:35 AM.
Old 10-17-2003, 07:44 AM
Azn03Z

just go buy your self a nice lil american big block and be gone with it...

we don't need another asshead on this board really.

peace be gone
Old 10-17-2003, 07:51 AM
KONVERTER

Originally posted by Beamm
Knoverter...so true

I live in Miami and I'm keepin a tab on cars I see for fun...

In the month I owned my Z I've seen:
5 - 350z
2 - Ferrari
4 - G-Wagon
1,000 - Porsche
9874923874239847392847 - BMW

Only problem is I keep picking up HS girls because I look about half the age I am...
or is that a problem?
hey its better to look young!!!!

you dont want people sayin you look 50 when your 30...

its weird when your younger people wanna look older.. when your older people wanna look younger...

im 23... people think im 17
Old 10-17-2003, 07:56 AM
Azn03Z

LOL...

THATS GOOD!
haha

and yea...theirs alot of nice cars in miami..
Old 10-17-2003, 08:02 AM
Subbacultcha

I don't understand why it is so important that MY car just HAS TO BE FASTER THAN THE GUY NEXT TO ME!!!!!! I just don't drive with that mentality. I have no urge to compete with complete strangers driving down the street on the way to the supermarket. Basically all I'm saying is that I'm satisfied with the size of my *****.
Old 10-17-2003, 08:08 AM
JFritz

hmm, i guess it's just my mentality.

i want to be bigger, badder, stronger than the guy next to me. competitiveness is in my blood. im never happy with mediocrity.

Last edited by JFritz; 10-17-2003 at 08:12 AM.
Old 10-17-2003, 08:47 AM
Yielar

The Stillen SC does come with an engine warranty and 70 extra horsies !
Old 10-17-2003, 09:13 AM
ktm
Banned

The SC itself is only covered by the warranty, not the engine if I remember correctly.

Fritz, a 14 second quarter mile is not slow by any means. It is all a matter of perspective. Yes, coming from an owner of 3 cars that can do sub 13s, a 14 second car would seem slow, but in fact a 14 second car is faster than 95% of the cars on the road today.

You mistake what I am saying about the WRX, Evo, SRT, etc. Since they are already turbo charged, they have reached their peak. Sure they can up the boost some more or add a bigger turbo, but they are limited by their displacement as well as the fact that they are already using forced induction.

The 350z has a lot of potential. With $6k-$7k worth of mods (SC, intake, headers, exhaust, plenum) you will be pushing around 400 hp. Let's see if the WRX, SRT or Evo can approach those numbers without putting a piston through their hood (or rebuilding the engine).

The car is a true sports car, the Cobra and Z28 are not. The Cobra can beat a Porsche TT or at least hang with it in the quarter mile, so by your logic the Porsche TT is slow. Your 3 previous cars would beat a Porsche TT in the quarter, so again, by your logic the TT is slow. However, which would you rather own if you had the money, a Z28/Cobra or a Porsche TT?
Old 10-17-2003, 09:14 AM
WashUJon

Originally posted by KONVERTER
remember people this is the internet.. people will say things they will never do in life... they will have false persona's for the net..

ive met people across the country at different gigs i have played who ive talked to online... they make them selves out to be macho and all this and that... and they are really like screech and dorky...

dont take things you read on the net seriously...

specially if she JUST turned 18 and her pictures look AMAZING... most likely... its some fat dude...
Ain't that the truth! lol

Old 10-17-2003, 09:21 AM
Yielar

Taken directly from Stillens website !

" We have recently received approval from Dell Financial Group to offer their extended warranty. This will allow limited coverage of the engine for 3 years or 36,000 miles as an option. This approval was granted after extensive review of our engineering designs and independent testing of the unit. "
Old 10-17-2003, 09:33 AM
Dissident

Originally posted by Yielar
Taken directly from Stillens website !

" We have recently received approval from Dell Financial Group to offer their extended warranty. This will allow limited coverage of the engine for 3 years or 36,000 miles as an option. This approval was granted after extensive review of our engineering designs and independent testing of the unit. "
"Dude, you're getting a supercharger!"

Yes, turbo cars get more improvement for the first bucks you spend, since you can up boost easily. And, yes, big V8s tend to be faster stock when talking about 1/4 mile times. So, maybe the Z isn't the best any one, but the point is it is still great at all those things, AND it's as nice of a car if not nicer than a 50K Boxster S (and puts up the same numbers as the Z), which nobody would argue isn't a sports car.

So, clearly, if you have only one priority, the Z isn't for you. The point is, most people use the Z for more than drag racing, and as a daily driver, a Mustang, Camero, Subaru, or Mitsubishi don't touch it. Yeah, they could have built in more power to the Z att he cost of the interior, but as you pointed out, plenty of other cheap cars with big motors already do that.
Old 10-17-2003, 09:42 AM
JFritz

ktm, now your talkin.

14 seconds isn't slow. but in means of comparible cars that are cheaper or in the same price range, i think it falls slightly short. i guess i was spoiled by pontiac under rating the trans am for HP. That car took few mods to get in to the 12's.

you know im not all about the drag racing though, as it may seem.

i keep seeing pictures of this car and i keep wanting it more and more. before i posted on here, i was so set on the low performance numbers of this car, but I also had the muscle car mindset. some of you asked why do i even ask, can't i make an opinion on my own? yes, but I always like to hear owners tell me about their experiences too.

Yielar, interesting SC stuff. I might check in to that, but if I'm spending $31K on a car, im probably not going to spend $7k more on a super charger.

If I do get one, I don't want it to run 11 seconds in the 1/4. thats for sure. low 13's? that would be nice. besides after having an accident at the track, and insurance not covering it, I wont be making any trips back there anytime soon.
Old 10-17-2003, 10:14 AM
Yielar

Question Dissident

Do you even know who this thread is directed at?? Try reading the entire post before you start venting at the wrong people pud. I simply was correcting someone that has said that there were no sc's with a warranty.

Yielar
Old 10-17-2003, 10:16 AM
Marc's R/T

JFritz,

I think a Z with a SC will provide what you're looking for and more. These cars are multi-faceted, able to do everything well and not be one dimensional. I have a G coupe(same car) but what I love about the G/Z is that these cars are ready for anything on the street. It's a lot of car for a daily driver such as myself and when I want to show some tailights it accomdates without a fuss. The only way you'll know if this car is for you is to spend some time with it and get to know what it's all about. Whether you decide to buy it or not, you will appreciate it for what it is.
Old 10-17-2003, 10:45 AM
Chanimal117

In all honesty, is a couple 10ths of a second all that much of a big deal. I mean in everyday driving you won't even notice it. I can see if you were doing professional racing then maybe it might matter. Point is that all the cars you mentioned are so similar in performance that any one of the recorded times in 0-60, 1/4 mile, or track time can be slightly higher or lower depending on factors including, temperature, tires, altitude, driver etc... It really doesn't make sense to argue or state that one car is better then the other because on any given day any of them can edge one of the other out in one of these categories. If you want a car that can outshine any car on the road in performance, don't expect to be paying $20-30. You'll probably have to buy an enzo ferrari and pay close to $700,000. I think a lot of people choose the Z over the other cars you mentioned because of its exclusivity. The Z model on its own was built to be a sports car and was built with a lot of heritage behind it. All other cars you mentioned were based on normal production cars and were just manufactured with more performance parts and tuning. To the normal person they just don't stand out as much and except enthusiast most wouldn't no the difference between a GT, Cobra, WRX, STI, RT, SRT-4 etc.... The Z is unique and when people see it they think sports car. If you are worried about a $20k car beating you then i'm sorry to say you're going to be doing a lot of worrying. There are highly modded cars out there that cost a fraction of any of the cars mentioned and they can run 11s on the street. Point is, whatever you buy may be the best for performance now, but time along with engineering has always proven to build better performing cars. In all honesty you can't go wrong with any of the above mentioned. All are pretty well balanced performance cars for the money. Just go out and test drive them all and pick whatever fits your budget and personal preference best.

Quick Reply: My 350Z Rant