Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

My 350Z Rant

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2003, 08:01 AM
JFritz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My 350Z Rant

You guys need to fill me in. I'm new to this forum and I promise you I'm not a troll.

I'm going to be in the market for a sports car in 6 months.

I've done a lot of research, and this is what I've concluded with the 350Z.

Pro's
Good Looks
Decent Handling
Decent Price Tag

Con's
Slow Acceleration ($20K Neon can beat it)
Performance parts don't net a lot of horse power
Same motor used in many other Nissan cars

I guess I'm just dissapointed with Nissan choosing the 3.5 for this car. Sure the Trans Am and Z28 had the same motor as the Vette, but these cars were pushing 300 horse power at the crank from the factory. I'm sure there will be those that say, if you want a drag car, buy a Subaru or Mitsubishi turbo, but I just don't understand why Nissan made a car that'll maybe do 14.3 at best in the 1/4?

I really like the looks of it though, just give me a little info on why you purchased yours.
Old 10-16-2003, 08:08 AM
Conceyted

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Slow Acceleration ($20K Neon can beat it)
SLOW? I truly beg to differ. If a high 13 low 14 second car is slow then whats next? And if I remember correctly, those neons run mid 14s dont they?

I guess I'm just dissapointed with Nissan choosing the 3.5 for this car. Sure the Trans Am and Z28 had the same motor as the Vette, but these cars were pushing 300 horse power at the crank from the factory.
And they were v8's... if that is your theory, then why is Nissan using a 3.5 v6 and not a big american v8!!!!
Fact is that the 350z hangs with the v8's. Its pretty close to them maybe a SMALL step behind them.

What are your goals for the car you are looking to buy? Maybe you should ask yourself that...

Last edited by Conceyted; 10-16-2003 at 08:12 AM.
Old 10-16-2003, 08:12 AM
BILL T
Charter Member #61

The 350 isn't for everyone, in fact the Neon seems better suited to you.
Old 10-16-2003, 08:18 AM
JFritz

Well Bill, lets make this a flame. Why do folks get so damn defensive.

From what I've seen most folks run there 350Z's around the low 14 range.

Anyways here's my list for comparible cars.

Ford Mustang Cobra $32K 1/4 Time 13.4
Mitsubishi Evolution $30K 1/4 time 13.7?
Subaru STI $31K 1/4 time 13.4?

By comparison, yes I think the 350Z is slow.

I don't care if it's a v-8, v-6 or inline 4, what difference does it make.....we're talking about sports cars here.
Old 10-16-2003, 08:19 AM
WashUJon

The VQ engine is touted as one of the greatest V6s ever made, ya know. The fact that Nissan uses it in so many cars is a testament to its worth.

I wouldn't buy a Subaru or a Mitsu for a drag car, either. Just because they are AWD doesn't automatically make them an ideal drag car. Even those cars are better off on a road circuit. (They are rally racing inspired.)

If all you want is a 1/4 mile car, buy a Mustang Cobra.

I bought my Z because of many reasons. Some include:

1) I only buy Japanese sports cars (biased)
2) I wanted a Z car
3) I love the whole package with the 350Z:
a) looks
b) power
c) handling
d) brakes
e) 2 seats
f) RWD
g) the VQ engine
4) I can't force myself to buy a 4 door WRX or Evo in spite of their performance
5) Insurance is way cheap for the Z
6) Good gas mileage (for a sports car)
Old 10-16-2003, 08:21 AM
Conceyted

Originally posted by JFritz

I don't care if it's a v-8, v-6 or inline 4, what difference does it make.....we're talking about sports cars here.
your comparing a Cobra to a 350z? Then you go on and throw evo's and STI's into the mix, IMO they are both hideous cars. The reason I bought my z is because it is superior in looks to all of the above mentioned, it handles great, drives great, is fast inn and of itself, and is very stylish. If you want a family sedan with a turbo and awd by all means.... go for it!
Old 10-16-2003, 08:22 AM
WashUJon

Since when are the Evo and STi sports cars?

The Mustang I'll give you... (even though its really a GT/muscle car)
Old 10-16-2003, 08:27 AM
JFritz

well the only reason im throwing in the cobra,is because it's on my list of options.

the evo and sti are hideous, but i just wanted to point out performance numbers for cars that are approximately the same invoice.

I haven't heard of the Z putting down good numbers in the slalom or lateral G's, either.

also, the evo might be a 4 door, but it will still duel the z in all categorys of performance. so, "4-door" sports car comes to mind.
Old 10-16-2003, 08:36 AM
Conceyted

well the only reason im throwing in the cobra,is because it's on my list of options.

the evo and sti are hideous, but i just wanted to point out performance numbers for cars that are approximately the same invoice.

I haven't heard of the Z putting down good numbers in the slalom or lateral G's, either.

also, the evo might be a 4 door, but it will still duel the z in all categorys of performance. so, "4-door" sports car comes to mind.
Get a cobra.. with your mentality, the cobra is the way to go. If you dont care about style or how many people you see in mustangs a day, go for it!
Old 10-16-2003, 08:41 AM
Poison123
Google Bot

Dude buy a SRT, from what you've said its the car for you. Hell its only 20k and that extra 10k you'd save you could invest is premium parts.
Old 10-16-2003, 08:48 AM
JFritz

the cobra handles decently, but the styling and build just don't sit well with me.

99 vette for $28K will probably get me what i want, but I want a newer car.

my previous cars include

00 Xterra
98 ta ws6
98 cobra
93 z28

if Nissan still made the 92 TT Z they used too, i probably wouldn't even think twice. or maybe the 96 Toyota Supra. or the 93 RX7. Sure they were expensive in their day, but those are performance cars.

When I think of the Z, i see a bad *** looking sports car with no go? When they released this car, i thought it was going to be a step up from the 300Z.

Last edited by JFritz; 10-16-2003 at 02:20 PM.
Old 10-16-2003, 08:50 AM
JFritz

Also, i'm not going to put $30K into a neon.

I guess i'm expecting too much, maybe i should have sugar coated my questions.
Old 10-16-2003, 08:53 AM
lascala26

Here is what to expect if you purchase the following cars in regard to the attention you'll receive:

STI and EVO- 13-22 year old boys in wife beaters making references to the Fast and Furious.

Mustang Cobra- Some gearhead talking about all the engines he's rebuilt and why Shelby designs are the best ever.

Z- You'll see necks breaking as you come down the street. Girls taking their tops off to get a ride (not that drastic, but you get the point), men of all ages consumed by extreme jealously as you role by. A truly pleasurable experience.

There aren't many cars on the street that have a better overall package than the Z. It might not be the fastest or the most practical car, but if you were to rate overall it would be one of the best, if not the best. I compare the Z to Walter "Sweetness" Payton. This is one of the greatest cars in recent times, it will be around for a while and when it's gone we will still be talking about it.
Old 10-16-2003, 08:53 AM
fanatic

I think most everyone buys the Z for the right mix of styling with performance. Our performance is great, not perfect, but great....the styling is perfect. beautiful lines, beautiful curves, definately more memorable and pleasurable than any of the other cars you've mentioned......as far as aftermarket mods not netting many HP's yet, give it another 8 months to a year......this is a brand new car....let's give some time for R&D.........
00Xterra, not even gonna comment
98 cobra, cool, but super common highschool muscle car
93 Z28...cool car, if you still wear a mullet.

350Z....fast, class, and sex appeal..........
Old 10-16-2003, 08:57 AM
Conceyted

When I think of the Z, i see a bad *** looking sports car with no go?
Old 10-16-2003, 08:57 AM
zul8ter

The reason why you are getting negative remarks is becouse you are coming onto a z forum and saying the z is slow. oh course that is not going to sit well with z OWNers. Also you facts are not completly accurate. Your statement about 14.3 at best is incorrect. There are too many factors with 1/4 mile times that there is not really an at best time. Many people are running give or take around 14 flat. The 350z is a step up from the 300zx. Please tell me how it is not. I personally think that a NA car the pushs out almost the same hp as a twin turbo set up is a good example of the engineering put into this car. Also the z is a total package car. it was built to acccel in many diffrent catagorys. and it does. It seems to me that you are just looking for speed. If that is the case than get an american sports car that can go in a strait line and that is it. The z can do many things. It is quick in a strait line, the handling is superb and the style is awsome. What do you want from us, we are going to stick up for our car, you can't blame us for that.
Old 10-16-2003, 09:00 AM
Beamm

Also, i'm not going to put $30K into a neon.

I guess i'm expecting too much, maybe i should have sugar coated my questions.
No...you just need to make your questions coherent. You're comparing totally different types of cars here and asking us which one you should get. Why do you care what we think? Just like 'your milage may vary' the reasons for buying any car will vary from one person to the next.

But quite honestly, based on what you've said, I'd say get the neon. Based on the other things you've said you want performance and don't care so much about the handling (e.g. Cobra) or uniqueness/looks (e.g. all cars mentioned except the Z). You also don't like high priced aftermarket parts (Z). Neon is fast (you think as fast as Z), has cheap aftermakret parts and can probably get boosted in performance easier than any of the other cars you've mentioned (they're all already boosted except for Z). It seems to meet all of your requirements while all of it's downfalls are not things you are concerned about.

And if you want some answers why don't you try asking some specific questions rather than making general statements like 'the Z is slow' (which is BS as it is faster than at least 90% of the cars on the road).
Old 10-16-2003, 09:02 AM
Dissolved

Here's my opinion Jfritz:
If all you care about is straight line performance, buy the '03 cobra. You are comparing the Z to stuff not even in it's class. Compare it to the boxster, s2k, rx8. Now you're talking. Jap supercar days are OVER. Welcome the new generation. NA 6 cylinders that make about the same power as their predecessors. Made as well? Probably not. But they are not $45k+ either.

The u.s. spec evo runs low 14s/high 13s. The sti runs low 13s. The neon runs mid/low 14s. The s2000 runs low14s/high13s. The RX8 runs high 14s/mid14s. The Z runs low 14s/high 13s. It is by no means slow. I think it's very impressive when a naturally aspriated 6 cylinder can run high 13s for under $30k. Even more impressive is the 4cyliner S2k. The truth is, the new Z is as fast as your '98 Cobra and it does it with 2 less cylinders. I had a $35k budget for a new car. I could of bought a used C5, '03 cobra, sti..but I chose the Z. At the end of the day, the SRT boys are driving neons. I'm in a Z

You don't sound too thrilled about the new Z by the sound of your post. It doesnt sound like it's for you.

Last edited by Dissolved; 10-16-2003 at 09:06 AM.
Old 10-16-2003, 09:03 AM
mxpx_8

hmm, what's with all the f-cking snivvling.

these are legit questions.

the cobra handles decently, but the styling and build just don't sit well with me.

I've been in 2 other forums asking the same questions, and i haven't seen such panzy *** remarks.

99 vette for $28K will probably get me what i want, but I want a newer car.

my previous cars include

00 Xterra
98 ta ws6
98 cobra
93 z28

if Nissan still made the 92 TT Z they used too, i probably wouldn't even think twice. or maybe the 96 Toyota Supra. or the 93 RX7. Sure they were expensive in their day, but those are performance cars.

When I think of the Z, i see a bad *** looking sports car with no go? When they released this car, i thought it was going to be a step up from the 300Z.
Why do you like the 300z so much? You basically stated that you like the 350z in most ways except for the power. However, the 300 is just as fast for the most part as the 350, and to add to that the 350 would be much better on a track/road course from what I understand.

As for why I bought the Z there are many reasons. Looks and power were just right for me. I don't like the looks or build quility of the other cars out there. 1 second in a 0-60 is not going to sway my decision of what car to buy. For me that would be just dumb. But I understand to a lot of people that is a huge reason, so that is cool for them. To each his/her own.

But overall preformance/looks/quility I think the Z has the package that no other car can come close to. Keep in mind these are just my opinnions. Someone else can easily think that the STI is the best looking car on the road. And the Cobra is the most reliable. Bottom line is there is always going to be a faster/cooler looking/better made car than what you have.

So what is the point in getting opinions on others for what YOU really like/want to get?

These are my reasons...
Old 10-16-2003, 09:03 AM
only1

You can go purchase a mustang, I mean, my grandma has one. Or go buy the neon, two girlfriends of mine have neons. Just playin with ya....

I will agree that the Toyota Supra and RX7 were great cars. If you looking for a car just for the power, the Z might now be the way to go....but if you want a car will overall excellence ;-) I think the Z is the ticket.

Quick Reply: My 350Z Rant