2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

What Would You Do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 05:04 AM
eNdiT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Would You Do?

OK Guys ...interesting situation here.

I bought my 350Z from CarMax in April and recently it developed a bad rattle. it is caused by a loose baffle inside the radiator so I took it into the local exhaust shop. I was stunned when they told me I had an "illegal" exhaust system with no catalytic converters.

Apparently the previous owner installed an illegal exhaust system. The exhaust says "Megan" or something on it...CarMax PASSED IT during inspection.

Obviously, I don't want an illegal exhaust on there and I am wondering...should CarMax be responsible for replacing the exhaust for me? Obviously, the passed an illegal car inspection and then sold me the car.

Thanks!
Old 11-17-2009, 05:41 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What does your CarMax inspection warranty cover? Ought to be in the contract they gave you. If they warranty their work you have a case for the cost of making your exhaust legal again. An informal telephone call to them would be a good place to start. Make sure you have the documentation from the shop clearly stating what is "illegal" about the exhaust.

Sounds like someone pulled out the catalytic converters and put some "test pipes" in there making it difficult to pass smog inspections if you have them in your state.

Last edited by Paul350Z; 11-17-2009 at 05:43 AM.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:00 AM
Bumble Z

yea that sounds like the most basic answer as to something being illegal is the cat replaced for test pipes by the way megan test pipes suck and develop similar issues to urs
Old 11-17-2009, 06:31 AM
eNdiT

Yes I agree...there are no cats in there just straight pipes with resonators. I also agree that the Megan test pipes suck. They sound terrible now especially...

Guys, if Carmax doesn't fix this I'm going to need to find the cheapest easiest fix to make this thing street legal. What should I do to get this thing legal again with the least $$ possible. I don't mind going to the OEM exhaust either....thanks
Old 11-17-2009, 06:39 AM
Bumble Z

i would check the private classifieds for someone selling their stock cat or just simply buying a whole new exhaust set up (a good one will run u close to 1k a better one of course more) with a cat..its not legal right now but chances of you getting caught with it are very slim so i wouldnt worry about the legal part just that annoying rattle
Old 11-17-2009, 06:55 AM
eNdiT

Can I make the Megan test pipes legal somehow? Is there a way to put cats onto the test pipes and make them street legal? Sorry I'm new to this all...
Old 11-17-2009, 07:37 AM
TJGILROY

bump that bro, OEM cats cost a fortune...about 300 a peice, you need to take it back to Carmax and tell them to make it legal. there's got be a way to get them to fix this since that is not what came with the car at retail and it would never pass inspection
Old 11-17-2009, 07:40 AM
xzotklr

Originally Posted by TJGILROY
bump that bro, OEM cats cost a fortune...about 300 a peice, you need to take it back to Carmax and tell them to make it legal. there's got be a way to get them to fix this since that is not what came with the car at retail and it would never pass inspection

If you check the classifieds you can find a set for less.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:59 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,305 Likes on 905 Posts

Originally Posted by eNdiT
Can I make the Megan test pipes legal somehow? Is there a way to put cats onto the test pipes and make them street legal? Sorry I'm new to this all...
The answer is no. Test pipes take up the same space as the cats do. You can't make them clean up the exhaust by adding to them.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:04 AM
Polska350Z

they should replace it
Old 11-17-2009, 08:17 AM
Mikie13

Search around for stock Catalyst pipes, and replace. May be expensive for new ones, or if you can find used ones in the Marketplace here, that would be good. This should suffice to pass emissions, unless VA is strict as hell and won't let a catback pass visuals, as that would count as a "modified" stock exhaust system. Not sure how that state works...
Old 11-17-2009, 08:45 AM
bailey bill

As suggested, contact CarMax and see what their repsonse is. No one here on the message board is going to solve teh problem, but maybe CarMax will.

No guarantees, but I have always found CarMax to be reasonable and ethical (at least compared to most used car dealers).
bill
Old 11-17-2009, 09:31 AM
eNdiT

Good news guys, took it to CarMax and they checked out the exhaust - they said it looked like it had cats but, in fact, the "cats" were hollow.

Without any questions they said they were ordering cats from Nissan and will call me as soon as they come in. Very pleased with the service at CarMax. I will post an update once they are installed.

Thanks all
Old 11-17-2009, 09:31 AM
TJGILROY

Originally Posted by xzotklr
If you check the classifieds you can find a set for less.
if he wants to chance that they are in working condition, most classifieds are sold as is...

check with carmax bro, i doubt they will try to screw you, they have a reputation to keep up
Old 11-17-2009, 09:50 AM
Bumble Z

Good news guys, took it to CarMax and they checked out the exhaust - they said it looked like it had cats but, in fact, the "cats" were hollow.

Without any questions they said they were ordering cats from Nissan and will call me as soon as they come in. Very pleased with the service at CarMax. I will post an update once they are installed.

Thanks all
hopefully all goes well enjoy ya new baby
Old 11-17-2009, 10:19 AM
Hexxus

I'll sell you an entire '07 stock exhaust. Y-pipe, mid-pipe, and exit.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:26 AM
TJGILROY

cool bro....well good luck with your fully functional exhaust now...haha
Old 11-17-2009, 11:14 AM
Globalscan

Have Carmax replace the cats or have them cut you a check to replace them and go buy HFC's... Then sell your test pipes for some extra cash.

Done
Old 11-17-2009, 06:45 PM
adamciya350

When i read the title of this forum, did anyone else immediately think "for a klondike bar?"
Old 11-17-2009, 06:50 PM
JEKL

Thanks all
Originally Posted by Globalscan
Have Carmax replace the cats or have them cut you a check to replace them and go buy HFC's... Then sell your test pipes for some extra cash.

Done