Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2003, 03:52 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
Default First time to track on 350Z, a Z owners experience

Part 1, Background:

Everyone has different reasons for buying their 350Z. I had owned a 240Z, first generation Nissan SER, driven a M3, and the time I got to drive a 300TT left a lasting impression on me with its quick acceleration.

Like many, I liked the 350Z’s sporty looks. I felt it looked like a nice cross between a Porsche 911 and an Audi TT. All of the reviews on the 350Z made claims of excellent cornering, braking, and good acceleration with a low-end torque that provided power at almost any RPM. Most claims stated the car was a little weak in details like interior finish but it scored high in all the important areas that a sports car should be measured. Basically, it was a car that allowed someone like me that wanted a car on the level of a 911 (ok, 911 TT to be exact) but really could only afford another SER.
Old 10-18-2003, 03:53 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Part 2, Buying my Z:

Like many 2003 350Z owners, I had to wait to get it. Dealing was salesman asking $3000-$10,000 over MSRP in southern California (Universal Nissan, Barwick Nissan Temecula Nissan to name a few, shame on you!), waiting months to get my delayed order were all part of the experience.

The waiting period gave me time to shop for expected modifications. I decided that better and more tested performance modifications would be available in about a year’s time since it was a great selling sports car but still needed time for the aftermarket to do the R&D to get the products to market. Based on that, I decided to upgrade my stereo, suspension, and wheels and tires prior to performance modifications. My hope was that after I got done doing my first phase of modifications to my Z, there would be reliable hp mod’s that could maybe convert my 350Z from a cheap mans 911 into a legitimate cheap mans 911TT. I can personally say that I was a little disappointed in the straight-line performance of the 350Z after driving it for the first time. Yes, it felt “peppy” but somehow felt slower than the 300TT I drove years before even though when I looked up the 0-60 times of the 300TT vs. the 350Z, the 350Z match it or was slightly slower depending on what magazine and year 300TT you compared it to.

Last edited by zland; 10-18-2003 at 04:10 PM.
Old 10-18-2003, 03:56 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Part 3, taking my 350Z to the track:

Thanks to Greg Vogel of Mossy Nissan, he told me several time that “you have a very capable sports car and you should take it to a track and learn how to drive it”. Prior to taking it to the track, I had done what I think many people do that evaluate a car. I burnt rubber to see how quick it would go (the old butt dyno) and took corners quickly during my daily driving. All of this is fun and expensive (speeding tickets) but it really does not give a picture of what a car can do and puts others a risk by breaking the law on public streets.

Taking Greg up on his offer, I decided to go out with the “Mossy crew” and try out my ability to drive my car and see what my and its limits were in a controlled and safe environment. Waiting for “track day” was filled with excitement but when I woke up and that morning and got to the track, I became more nervous and started to worry about if I would thrash my new car. Yes, I wanted to push it to its limits but then I started to worry about if I would push it pasts its limits and if I did, would I be able to bring it back under control safely? On the street, I went around corners quickly and was fairly impressed but I knew I never pushed the car to the point on going out of control. I also knew that soon, I would be pushing my car to that level and another fear of mine was when the car got to that point, would it go from being under complete control to spinning out before I realized what had even happened. My old male ego was pushing me to drive it hard while my realization that I really do not know how to drive this car hard was also echoing in my head.

The nice thing about running your car at Willow Springs is they let you drive your car at a pace you feel comfortable with and pair you up with a more experienced driver to teach you the basics. After a brief overview of safety, flags used on the track (laugh all you want, there is one for every situation), and basic driving techniques such as how to enter and exit turns and what to do if your car does lose control, it was time to take the car out on the track.

You have the option of driving your car first or having the more experienced driver do some laps while you ride passenger and learn his techniques. I got Greg Vogel to be my teacher (there was about 12-15 new drivers and we were lucky to have a teacher for each of us). I opted to let Greg drive first. Basically, I took the attitude that I really know nothing about high performance driving and watching some else do it first was the best way to learn.

Last edited by zland; 10-18-2003 at 04:13 PM.
Old 10-18-2003, 03:58 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Part 4, the teacher shows how it is done:

Greg told me he would take the first lap at about 50-70% just so I could learn to entry and exit points on each turn. Well, what Greg considers 50% is what I considered pushing the limits of my car up to this point! Honestly, I had never pushed my car in braking and cornering to a level that bordered on the edge of what I perceived was its limits. Greg was telling me the truth, he was driving it at about 50% but it felt like 100% to me at that point. I never realized the true ability this car had to rapidly brake and corner hard. For the first time, I truly realized how much of a performance car was and this was just a warm up lap at 50%!

After learning the entry and exit points of the turns on lap one and getting a feel for the layout of the track on lap one, I wanted to focus on the braking, shifting, and throttle on lap two. I am 46 years old and after driving for over 30 years, I thought I had a fairly good idea of how to enter and exit curves, WRONG! First of all, I thought you enter the corner tight and drifted out as you accelerated out of the curve, which is kind of right but not fully correct. What I learned is you need to use the entire track and swing wide to the far corner of the curve (prior to the curve) as an entry point making the turn less severe. Then, you aim toward in the inside edge of the corner. In addition, I was amazed at how fast you are going just prior to entering a curve and when you brake, you brake 100% prior to the curve thus you are accelerating throughout the curve. I bet you are reading this and thinking to yourself that you already knew that but I am telling you that if you have not been instructed on a track, you really do not know as much as you think you do. When I say brake, I mean BRAKE! Basically, when you are on a track, something is always changing rapidly. You are either braking hard prior to a curve, accelerating out of a curve, or flying down a straightaway approaching a on coming turn much faster than you think is possible for your car to make safely.

As the pace quicken on lap two, I kept my feet pressed on the floorboard and gripping the door handle while trying to watch how Greg shifted, braked and cornered the car. What seemed simple in my mind prior to coming to the track (after all, the cars looked liked they moved so slowly on TV!), became a blur of trying to keep in my head where to enter a curve, when to brake and downshift from speeds ranging from over 90-100 mph to under 35 mpg depending on the curve, and how to keep an eye out for other drivers and those guys with 25 different type of flags trying to alert me to possible impending danger ahead. I got to tell you, going 100mpg on a fwy is nothing compared to doing that on a track and have to aim at the apex of the curve, know when to brake at the proper time, hit your mark within 6 inches of the edge of the track, and then whip your car into a 90 degree turn at the proper speed. Brake to soon, go to slow, you look like grandma on a Sunday drive, push it 6 inches too far, you are off the track and possibly spinning in circles. Hesitating for a fraction of a second may cause you grief. Now, does it sound so simple to you? If it does, I bet it is because you have not done it and you are feeling a bit too confident because you can take a turn a little quicker than the Chevy Malibu next to you exiting the freeway.

With Laps 3 & 4, Greg increased the speed but the techniques and entry and exit points remained the same. Before I got in the driver seat, I already knew for the first time that I owed a car that was truly designed to be raced. My pre-existing disappointments in acceleration was replaced with the awesome respect I had for this car to brake and corner way beyond was I thought a street car could do and to do it for only $30,000 was amazing! No, my Z did not smoke the tires in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears, but it did brake unbelievable, enter and exit a curve with amazing griping power, and exit on to the back straightaway like a racehorse. Simply put, it accelerated enough to match my skill levels on the track in a full out performance run.

Already, my impressions of my 350Z went from a car that was fun to drive and that everyone including me enjoyed looking at into a true sports car. Now that the car seemed worthy of the track, it was time to see if I measured up to the task.
Old 10-18-2003, 03:59 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Part 5, my first real time at the wheel:

I cannot count how many times I wanted to go 120mph driving down the freeway or just nail a turn full speed while driving home from work but often held back in fear of a ticket Yes, I did cross the line sometimes but when I did, it was not for long and not fully enjoyable because I knew I was driving on the street and tickets cost a lot of money and those points you earn against your insurance is even more costly.

Now, here I am sitting in the driver seat of my 350Z racing down the straightaway with the 287hp. I never fully got a chance to use all of that hp up to now on the street nor that braking and handling many others had already experienced and compared it to BMW M3’s or a Porsche. I found myself wanting to brake much sooner than Greg did on turn number one. Wow, that approach seems much too fast and I just did not have the faith yet in myself or my car to do what he did just minutes ago. The only thing that kept me from completely backing off was Greg yelling to me, “you got a sports car, push it, it is designed to be driven like this!” So, my first turn on my first lap was entered by braking prematurely, entering too slowly, and I am sure looking like just what I was: an armature driver.

With each new turn, I learned new skills and unlearned bad habits I had gained over the years. I actually got motion sickness sitting in the passenger seat on Greg’s laps but now they were going away as I was engrossed in the rush of driving my car on a track for the first time.

The format for that day was 30 minutes for group #1, the first time drivers, and 30 minutes for the more advanced drivers. By days end, all of us had hours of track time. Thirty minutes may not seem like a long time but every second on that track is pushing yourself and your car to the limits of braking, cornering, and acceleration. The only time you have to “relax a bit” is heading down the straightaway at about 100 MPH knowing you will be entering a curve within seconds at that speed.

I did 3 more 30-minute runs on the track by myself. The first time, I was on edge most of the time but I gained more confidence with each time on the track. Soon, I had memorized entry points to turns, knew what gear to be in, and actually had time to look at those guys with the flags just incase there was something wrong in the curve just ahead.

The more I drove my 350Z, the more I realized how well this car was designed. It braked without noticeable brake fade corner after corner for 30 minutes at a time. The car never did anything unpredictable like I feared it might. The Z never swayed but hugged the corners beyond my expectations. When it began to lose grip, it did it gradually. The tail never swung out of control, the famous understeer I read about in article after article was not something that forced me to push the nose of my car off the track. The Z pulled out of corners allowing me to push it to the limits of adhesion but knowing all along were those limits were. There was no time now to listen to the stereo (that many complain about) or worry about the rattle in the dash. I needed my full attention to driving my car and the only thing that was communicating to me was my Z and it did it well.

The last turn that exited onto the long straightaway on the backside of the track was a joy to drive. I could enter it at about 3500 rpm in 3rd gear and push it full throttle throughout that curve. The entire time, the back tires where on the edge of braking lose but never fully did as I drifted from the inside edge of the long turn to the outside edge as I entered the long straightaway climbing to the point that the rev limiter would kick in and throwing it into 4th gear. That freeway off ramp I use to race around each afternoon after work but never able to open it up fully nor having the skills to do it anyways were replaced with me now being in a place were I could push my car and myself safely to the limits without fear of hurting someone or seeing flashing lights behind me. All of the articles I had read on countless magazines were mere reference points now being replaced with my own experiences with my Z.

I drove next to cars on the track ranging from modded SER’s and turbo charged Civics to the new Mini Coopers. I ran next “Richards” 350Z that had cams, pulleys, air intake, Crawford plenum, and has been dyno’ed at 301rwhp. What I found out was my 350Z was already able to run the track next to fully modded cars. It did everything well. Even though it was close to 90 degrees that day, it never ran close to the halfway mark on the temperature gauge. Yes, Richard pulled away a little bit along the straights, as did the turbo charged civic that ran 11.2 times in the ¼ mile. The 1 or 2 car lengths I lost to them in the straightaway were not as significant as the skill of the driver in the corners. I was in a car that was designed to be driven hard on a track and finally I was doing just that instead of reading about someone else doing it and arguing about those articles with someone that posted an apposing view on line.
Old 10-18-2003, 04:00 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Part 6, another lesson, another teacher:

Greg told me Phil was the most skilled driver that day at the track and that if I had the opportunity to get him in my car to do so. Being I had one more 30 minute run before closing, I got him to ride passenger with me. I felt I had still not got a handle on the two sets of curves that directly preceded the straightaways. I found them the most difficult to get correct since you went from the quickest speeds on the track to the slowest. I had not quite got down the rapid deceleration followed by setting your turn, and then rapidly making a sharp turn at the exact right place and angle. Phil helped me through those turns and with each lap I got a little better each time. Did I master it? No, I just got better at it.

Part 7, what have I learned from my day at the track:

In summary, I now respect the 350Z far more than before. Yes, it can be improved upon with suspension, tires, and hp gains but in the end, the guys that had the quickest cars did so because they knew how to drive their car well, not because of 10 more hp or a better grade of tire or suspension.

Sure, I would still love to have another 100hp but for the first time, I am happy with my 350Z. I am truly enjoying my car that equaled the track times of the 911 and BMW M3 because for the first time, I am truly driving it. It handles and brakes beyond my expectations the acceleration I thought that was merely “peppy” on the street seemed more than enough as I exited the long sweeping curve leading into that straightaway on the back side of the track. Maybe after all the turbo and supercharger kits are out and after they have been tested them enough for me to decide if they are dependable or not for my tastes, I will decide if I want to buy one of them or maybe just go NA and settle for maybe 300rwhp. In the meantime, I am now focusing on upgrading my driving skills more than my car. I think I need more improvement than the 350Z does.

Oh, by the way, that nice guy that gutted his civic to save weight, modified every inch of the car to maximize suspension and handling, and turbo charged it so it could pull a little bit on me at the straightaways, he put it back on the trailer before lunch because he blew up the motor. He said “I am still working out the fine details on it”. I think I enjoyed my drive home more than he did with my AC on and listening to my stereo in my Z that I drove to the track, drove on the track, and of course drove back home from the track. All I had to do was top off the tank after a day at the races.
Old 10-18-2003, 04:21 PM
EnthuZiast
Guess whose back, back again...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really need to hit the tracK!
Old 10-18-2003, 04:23 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

I hope you guys dont mind the long post. As a 350Z owner, all I can say is you dont know the Z until you have tracked it.
Old 10-18-2003, 04:44 PM
nooooorb

Originally posted by zland
I hope you guys dont mind the long post. As a 350Z owner, all I can say is you dont know the Z until you have tracked it.
Not at all. Thanks for sharing your experience. BTW - Where is Willow Springs? Are there any tracks in SoCal?
Old 10-18-2003, 04:48 PM
roark

What an outstanding article!!!

I appreciate your candor and honesty with your limitations, and your brilliant description of the the experience of learning track basics.

My first time at the track was very similar to your, although I have not gotten my Z to the track yet. I'm hoping for VIR next month if the opening promised to me comes through.

The article that finally clinched the sale for me and the Z was a road coarse test between it, an M3, something and a C5. After about 10 laps each, guess what, the Z was the winner.

I talked to a lot of people about that article who said it had to be rigged, because the Z did not shine in any particular statistical category (HP, grip, etc.) What took away from that is that the Z is a beautifully orchestrated machine, purpose built to be run on the road coarse.

For the past year that I've had the Z, I've had to limit my racing to autoX, which it is not really optimized for.

If I had $3k laying around in my pocket, I'd buy a membership at VIR and drive out there (about 4.5 hours) once a month for member days.

Maybe next year.......

I'm really glad you enjoyed the track experience and I appreciate you sharing it with us.

Regards,

Roark
Old 10-18-2003, 06:20 PM
EL Diablo

I am sure every Z owner dreams about taking thier Z to the Track. I know I do. What does something like that cost?
Old 10-18-2003, 06:40 PM
cwerdna

zland: Do your fingers bleed?

Great post. Yeah, your description on how to take turns and brake well before the turn are exactly on the dot. I've taken a class at Pacific Raceways at the Proformance Racing School before and it was similar (driving the school's Neons in the pouring rain, the 350Z didn't exist yet). I've also gone lapping twice in my Maxima, although I don't feel my skills are all that good yet.

Yeah, I really recommend Z owners to take such a class even if it's pricey, then you'll understand better what race track driving is all about.
Old 10-18-2003, 07:19 PM
EnthuZ
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

zland.......AWESOME post(s)

Very glad you enjoyed your track time! Careful though, it is addicting!!!!!! I've raced before, and, yes, the Z is a GREAT track car. Shoot, I did 8 track days this year........Can't get enough!

I hope MANY forum members read your excellent post, and try REALLY pushing their ride.

My only different experience is, driving home, with AC blasting, & Cruise doing it's stuff, I never turned on the stereo.......too high, I guess

BTW.....start thinking BRAKES.
Old 10-18-2003, 07:34 PM
the bluez33

Great read, hope to follow in ur footsteps at the same track sometime soon
Old 10-18-2003, 08:21 PM
Dissolved

Awesome read. Good job man. Hope to be doing the same when I'm in my 40s, 50s etc. I really want to track my Z now...
Old 10-18-2003, 09:29 PM
longbowe

Great. As if I can't think of enough ways to spend money (that I don't have) on the Z as it is!
Old 10-18-2003, 09:33 PM
350z4steve

Originally posted by zland
was this a recent event at willow? which racing association or group was having it @ willow?
Old 10-18-2003, 09:36 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

FYI, the cost of this event was $145 to enter your car. Another $10 was charged at the gate to enter. I think the $10 was to Willow Springs which is near Palmdale California. I think but I am not sure that the $145 went to the promoters of the event that must have rented the track from Willow Springs for the day.

Everyone just enjoyed being there and it was a positive experience where all car owners just loved everyone elses car. The teachers were the more advanced group of drivers so no additional charge was need for those guys to help you out. The flames from WRX (non-Nissan) owners etc did not seem to be amoung this group. After all, we all love cars. The key to this event was to just learn to drive your car better.

I will have to get Greg to post more information about these events for you guys. I am sure another one is coming soon.

Jeff (Zland)

Last edited by zland; 10-18-2003 at 09:39 PM.
Old 10-18-2003, 09:47 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Until I can get Greg Vogel to post more precise information about future track events, here is the Willow Springs webpage so you guys can check out general information about the track itself.

http://www.willowspringsraceway.com/home/home.asp

It would be great if we could get a lot of my350z.com Z owners to get together for another track day like this past one. Maybe if we could find an event that was far enough ahead of time, Z owners from California, Nevada, and Arizona etc could attend?

Hmm, maybe Mossy and Performance Nissan as well as other my350z.com sponsors could get involved as sponsors of the event, could this be the beginning of the my350Z.com first annual track day?.............sorry, just thinking out loud!

Jeff

Last edited by zland; 10-18-2003 at 09:51 PM.
Old 10-18-2003, 09:59 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Ok, I just went back to an e-mail Greg sent me concerning the last event. I hope Greg does not mind me pasting the content of that e-mail here??? Anyways, it describes who promoted the event and even gives there website for registration for events. I'll check it after posting this to see if another event has already been planned. Here is that information:

Good day all,

You are receiving this email because you expressed an interest in attending a track day in your vehicle. If you would like to be removed from this list, please email me back and let me know.

I would like to run down some things for you about the track days. Please, forward this to any friends who may be interested as well.

The track days are run by the SE-R Club of America, Southwest Region. They are a very well organized and great group of people who have a dozen or so of these events under there belts.

Registration Page: http://www.gfos.net/serca/2003/streets/reg.php

Event Date: Friday, October 17th.

Event Location: Streets of Willow Springs Raceway

Rosamond, Ca (near Lancaster/Palmdale)

Tentative Schedule:

7-7:30 AM Register in garage, get & sign tech/track waiver/release of liability forms.

7:30-8:00 AM Get your car teched at the paddock area.

8:00 AM Mandatory driver's meeting, if you miss it, you will be held out of the first session.

8:30 AM Begin first run group, 1st session

12:00 PM 1 hour lunch for corner workers, EMS staff, etc.

1 PM Resume, first run group 3rd session

5 PM End of run groups

Event Cost: $145

It would be reasonable to expect 4 sessions, possibly 5. The sessions are normally 20 minutes each. This is plenty of time to get to know the track, improve your driving line and get the feel of your car without completely wearing you or the car out. There would then be a 40 minute rest time before your next session. There are no prizes, no money, no trophies given out. These track days are all about having fun, getting to know your car and racing with some cool people. You are to drive at your own speed. Beginners will be paired with an instructor in the morning, and if they feel comfortable enough may run alone in the afternoon.

Please bring a helmet!

The night before: Alot of racers stay at the Desert Inn, 44219 North Sierra Highway in Lancaster, Ca. 93534

Phone (661)942-8401 Reservation Number800) 942-8401

I believe their rate is $55 night for racers. It's alot easier being at the track by 7 AM if you leave from only 10 minutes away.

Any question, feel free to call me, tollfree 866.55.MOSSY

Look forward to seeing you there,

Greg Vogel

Parts Director - Mossy Performance

Quick Reply: First time to track on 350Z, a Z owners experience