Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

I hate winter. Got stuck in my own driveway.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 02:48 PM
romnation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I hate winter. Got stuck in my own driveway.

So the past week it has been about 40 degrees and sunny, no snow on the roads, so I decided to take the Z out. My drive way is very slanted. It had been shoveled, and you could see the concrete but there was still a very thin layer of snow on the driveway, even though the roads were completely clean. I came home and tried to go up the drive way, I almost made it to the top, then slid back down. I backed up and tried it again, this time with a head start. I made it almost all the way to the top, then slid back and sideways, and ended up with the right tires of the car against the snowbank where the grass would start. Was completely stuck, had to shovel the snow out from around the tires. Once I got unstuck, this time I got a very big head start up the drive way and finally made it to the top. Ended up with snow in my rims, and everywhere else. I didn't realize summer tires were really that bad.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:20 PM
diablox1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FTL. summer tires + big contact patch on tires + RWD + slanted driveway + snow = FAIL.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:44 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

It was probably the 40 degree temperature that defeated your driveway run as much as the slippery surface. The compound used in summer tires becomes hard at that temperature, and you lose grip.

A set of studless snow tires would have brought the car to the top of your driveway as if it was a warm summer day.

BTW: I’ve hit the same thing when I didn’t get my snows on soon enough. A couple of years ago, the temperature here dropped 40+ degrees overnight and didn’t warm during the day. My Z with summer performance tires would not move at all. The only way to get my car to the tire dealer where I store my winter tire/wheel setup was a tow truck.

Spike
Old 01-14-2010, 03:50 PM
tylerxfire

and u r driving ur z in the winter...end of story
Old 01-14-2010, 03:53 PM
singh

this is one of many reasons why i don't live up north
Old 01-14-2010, 04:13 PM
loudrims_inc

i need to move some place warm...this weather makes me sick = FTL
Old 01-14-2010, 04:19 PM
3-fifty-WeEe
Banned

derrr its not a winter car
Old 01-14-2010, 04:21 PM
KS0385

All you need:

Old 01-14-2010, 04:31 PM
CancerJCCz

Originally Posted by romnation
So the past week it has been about 40 degrees and sunny, no snow on the roads, so I decided to take the Z out. My drive way is very slanted. It had been shoveled, and you could see the concrete but there was still a very thin layer of snow on the driveway, even though the roads were completely clean. I came home and tried to go up the drive way, I almost made it to the top, then slid back down. I backed up and tried it again, this time with a head start. I made it almost all the way to the top, then slid back and sideways, and ended up with the right tires of the car against the snowbank where the grass would start. Was completely stuck, had to shovel the snow out from around the tires. Once I got unstuck, this time I got a very big head start up the drive way but had so much momentum that I crashed through the garage door!
This is how I saw it ending up!
Old 01-14-2010, 05:13 PM
hellsy

Man.. I know exactly what you mean.. The first snow storm of the winter [Well, it wasn't even winter, it was the last day of Autumn], i had the call out from work because i couldn't get my car from the parking lot.. From that day on, i started reading up on tires.. On the second storm, it wasn't that bad. There were snow on the road about an inch.. I was driving really slowly but there were few instances where i almost lost control, by just releasing the gas quickly.. That week, i bought Eagle F1 All season tires and couldn't believe the difference.. It might sound and look like it is expensive, but when you realize what you are putting at risk, it isn't even %10 of the cost...
Old 01-14-2010, 05:23 PM
kennedy

Could be worse you could do what I did about 2 years ago in my 4 door wrangler on 35" mud tires came in the drive way and hit black ice slid through my front lawn and took out my parents front lamp post.... Needless to say my parents were not happy. Front lawn was all shredded from my locking the brakes up and then the lap post had to be bent back lol.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:30 PM
LeManz33

Yeah, hate my summer tires!
Old 01-14-2010, 05:49 PM
konaforever

Originally Posted by 3-fifty-WeEe
derrr its not a winter car
Yeah, no one drives it in the winter. I mean a 350z with good snow tires goes no where.

Last edited by konaforever; 01-14-2010 at 05:51 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:58 PM
tylerxfire

Originally Posted by konaforever
Yeah, no one drives it in the winter. I mean a 350z with good snow tires goes no where.

smart people dont they buy a beater and completely take it off the road like i do...whats the point...y even drive it in the winter...take a look around not many nice cars out r there...yeah cause its winter....its not even the snowy roads that can be overcome with snow tires....ssssaaallltttt...ssssaaaannnnddd....uuuugghhh...buy a beater
Old 01-14-2010, 06:58 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Isnt it about time we finally addressed snow and the 350Z.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:59 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Here’s a twist. My winter “beater” is a 2003 Performance Model 350Z. Why not? I equip the car with a set of winter tires/wheels, and it drives in the snow on ice exceptionally well. In fact the other cars I own cost more than my Z, so I’m driving my least expensive car during the winter. Of course, I like the Z best in the warmer months when I run with summer performance tires, but it’s fun to drive a great handling car during the winter as well.

Car & Driver (the American automotive enthusiast magazine) is based in Ann Arbor, Michigan. And guess what? The magazine reviews rear wheel drive sport cars during the winter months when they drive these in Michigan in snow and on ice. Last year Car & Driver tested a Porsche Boxster (equipped with all season tires) on the snowy and slippery roads in and around Ann Arbor. The Porsche did very well in these conditions.

There is nothing wrong running a Z in snow and on ice as long as you equip the car with appropriate tires for the road conditions. All season tires and winter performance tires work great in cold weather where you get moderate snow and ice. If the conditions are consistently worse (more snow and ice build-up), you may need studless snow tires.

I've driven my Z in harsh Minnesota winters for 6 year now. In the Spring I swap the tires, swap the floor mats, and detail the car. It looks "showroom."

Spike
Old 01-14-2010, 07:09 PM
TreeFiddyZee
Do WHAAAAT!?

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gosh. I can even remember when EVERYBODY drove rear-wheel drive cars in the winter.
Snow tires+learning how to drive, try it.

Don't feel bad OP. I didn't have snow tires last year and I got stuck IN my driveway for 4 days.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:25 PM
rockinbboy

wonder how my all seasons would have performed in your driveway.

So any pics of the the driveway/snow you had to deal with? Was TCS on/off?
Old 01-14-2010, 07:47 PM
nismo_nate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

snow? ...whats snow? lol
Old 01-14-2010, 11:17 PM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by winchman; 01-15-2010 at 08:28 AM.

Quick Reply: I hate winter. Got stuck in my own driveway.