Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

When they repaint your front bumper...

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 03:53 PM
Stabber

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When they repaint your front bumper...

they have to blend it with the fenders right? I thought they were supposed to remove the front bumper and paint it that way. But I was told that front bumper is only removed when the WHOLE car is being repainted.

Anybody know? I just got my front bumper resprayed at the dealer and I can see where it looks like it may have been blended. Texture of paint is different.
Old 10-23-2003, 03:55 PM
bobS

Make them do it again.......its going to bug u and you'll regret it later if its a shotty job...any pics?
Old 10-23-2003, 04:00 PM
Stabber

i'll take some pics. The problem is I think they blended a little bit of the fender with the bumper.

See my other thread about the rest
thanks
Old 10-23-2003, 09:43 PM
bz8

Body shop's never blend the fender when the bumper is repainted or when a new bumper is painted because the bumper is different material. If you look at the new cars, the bumpers will always have a slighty lighter or darker color. Why don't you ask the body shop if they blended the fender or not, I don't see why they would not tell you or lie to you, unless if they're a shady shop. Hope this helps.
Old 10-24-2003, 05:54 AM
toykilla

i had a new bumper put on after cracking my other.. they painted the bumper and blended the fenders.. the bumper was OFF When the fenders got blended..

you cannot tell anything has been done
Old 10-24-2003, 06:18 AM
havabooz

i had a new rear bumper put on...im assuming they had it off when they painted it..but perhaps they didnt...before they did the job they said they strive for perfection and wont give it back unless everything matched perfectly....and it did ..hope you have luck with your car
Old 10-24-2003, 11:54 PM
bz8

Originally posted by toykilla
i had a new bumper put on after cracking my other.. they painted the bumper and blended the fenders.. the bumper was OFF When the fenders got blended..

you cannot tell anything has been done
Sorry to say, when you blend a part, you need to spray both parts together for consistency. All professional body shops do that. Plus I never heard of any body shop blending the fender with the bumper due to the fact that the paint for the front bumper have flex additive add in the paint. The bumper is a different material from the fender, bumper is plastic and fender is metal and they don't use same paint. Go ask any body shop, they will tell you what I have told you. Don't mean to offend you, but just want to get the facts straight.

PEACE!!

Last edited by bz8; 10-25-2003 at 12:06 AM.
Old 03-06-2004, 05:24 PM
MySunset350Z

has anyone had the problem where the paint on the front bumper is cracking?

the clear coat is fine and smooth to the touch, but the paint underneath it is cracking.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:12 AM
MirZa w da Z

what kinda paint ur bodyshop using ?
di they primed ? sand it first before painting ?
Old 04-25-2005, 02:26 PM
sisco534

I had mine re-shot or resprayed. The bumper was off no blending . They use the color code from nissan no reason to blend these cars are not old enough to have a fading issue. They are givin you the run around... make them repaint it until it is perfect that is what you pay for.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:29 PM
Aggro_Al

When I had my front bumper cover repaired the first time, they didn't blend it. They just butt-matched the part and it matched better than the factory. When they repaired my door, they did blend my front fender to the door but I would have never guessed it if they hadn't told me.

The second time I had my bumper cover repaired they sort of blended the fender. They removed the cover and repaired and repainted the cover. Since my fender had only minor scratches that overlapped from the bumper cover, they just prepped it and shot the edge of the fender and blended it the rest of the way after they re-attached the cover. They used different paint on the fender than they used on the cover. Again, paint match was better than factory.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:26 PM
MirZa w da Z

what kinda paint are you using ? prolly your body guy used a german paint , they're cheaper .. and within few months , or eve 2 months in summer or where the weather is hot , the paint start to cracks...
Old 04-25-2005, 06:31 PM
mario60185
Chicago Realtor

Sisco's right, you only really blend when the other parts of the car are faded, then you will see a difference. on a new car theyll just spray the bumper. And the other guy is right to. Bumper needs flex additives and such while the metal parts dont.

Dont let them screew you. Dont be nice to them. Too nice and you might as well bend over. Tell them its not right and you dont want it back till it is.!
Old 04-25-2005, 06:33 PM
MirZa w da Z

what kinda "blend" u guys mean here ?
you mean like painting the fenders also to match the color of the front bumper ?
Old 04-25-2005, 06:37 PM
mario60185
Chicago Realtor

when they paint your front bumper for example, and your fenders are old and the color is diminished if you dont spry and blend a little of the fender youll see the difference from the bumpers finish to the fender. Blending is just what it sounds like, they paint the fender and slowly thin the paint and blend it to look like it was never painted. Any pros wanna correct me feel free.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:09 AM
MirZa w da Z

i got it , why the hell they need to blend the fenders though ?
even the factory color are not the same (bumper and fenders).
plastic( bumper) and metal (fender ).
Old 04-26-2005, 12:39 PM
mario60185
Chicago Realtor

they dont! thats what were saying ...if it dont l;ook right dont buy there ****.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:02 PM
bmxox

Originally Posted by bz8
The bumper is a different material from the fender, bumper is plastic and fender is metal and they don't use same paint. Go ask any body shop, they will tell you what I have told you. PEACE!!

I work in a body shop and the paint is the same, true a flex can be added to the paint, but thats it, the flex additive is also safe to spray on the rest of the car. It would be a bigger waste of time to mix up paint twice for one job and then definitly have the color off. The only thing different between painting metal and plastic is the prep work.