Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

E36 M3 owner needs 350Z advice......

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2003, 07:35 AM
greg328

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E36 M3 owner needs 350Z advice......

Anybody on this board have any experience with an E36 (mine's a 1998) M3 coupe? I'm on my 3rd one, and I love 'em. Prior to these I had a 1984 Turbo 300ZX, 1990 300ZX, and 1995 Twin Turbo 300ZX.

I'm considering selling my M3 and getting into a new 350Z. Thing is, I've become accustomed to the smoooooth power delivery and the very stable, neutral handling of the M. How does the Z compare? I'm also concerned about interior quality, road noise, and thumpy ride.

I've been reading this board for about a week, researching my decision, and I'm seeing several mentions of various problems with the 2003 350Z models. Is there a certain production run I should avoid in buying a used one? (VIN # cut-off)? Does the 2004 model resolve some of these issues? Is Nissan going to back up their 2003 model defects with no-charge repairs?

Lastly, I'm also considering the G35 Coupe 6MT, mainly because I can get leather with the Brembos, and they also have sunroofs. Anyone care to compare/contrast the 350Z/G35 Coupe?........

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 11-05-2003, 07:47 AM
JeffR116

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as smooth power delivery, the Z has the most linear power curve of any car I have ever owned. There is amazing torque at almost any rpm, and never a sudden rush of power. The Z handles like it is on rails, and I feel very "connected" to the road when driving it. Interior quality is definitely not M3 quality, but the styling of the interior is very well suited and styled to the driver. Road noise and thumpy ride are not a problem for me.

This car is really a dream car for me, ever since I drove it. I would suggest you go drive one. One drive is all it took for me!
Old 11-05-2003, 07:58 AM
350ZOWNZ

if u care about the ride quality and the road noise u should get the G35Coupe. IMO (and i own a 350Z) the G35Coupe 6mt with brembos is a better value than a 350Z track. it might be a tad slower but shouldnt be noticable unless u go on a track..

G35coupe rides smoother and has better interior quality and is quiter. I didnt like the design of the G35coupe interior but the quality of it was definatly better.. Go test drive both of them...
Old 11-05-2003, 08:09 AM
Rxramon
Charter Member #45

G-35 coupe sounds really good for you...
Old 11-05-2003, 08:13 AM
hobbins

Depends on the weighting of your personal criteria. That said, I will also say when I test drove the G35 and compared it to the Z the ride was smoother with the G35 but not as responsive as the Z. I believe the wheel base is longer on the G35 and it feels less desireable to me whenever I want to turn quickly. In addition, the seats were not as comfortable as in the Z (including the passenger seat, according to my wife). I bought a touring Z and have never regretted it. I don't have any of the problems I've read about here and I consider the ride necessary for the handling.
Old 11-05-2003, 08:23 AM
Audito350Z

where are you in Houston??? I'm out West, Dairy Ashford & I-10 area. If you are nearby, we could meet up and you can see first hand what the car is like.

Also, I'll be up at Texas World Speedway on the 15th and 16th for a track event. Come for a visit and I'll give you a ride around the track.

I'm with the others who think the G35c is the way you would want to go.

Anyway... let me know.

PeteH
Old 11-05-2003, 08:25 AM
HokieZ

A buddy I work with has the exact care you currently have. His impressions are that the Z is quicker off the line (I think they are about equal) but there is no question the Z corners better and has less body roll. There is a little understeer if REALLY pushed throug ha corner but for the majority of drivers that's a safety factor. As others have said, the interior isn't quite as nice, but I prefer the Z's more minimalist. There really isn't one important thing I don't like about the Z. Go out, drive one, and decide for yourself but I think you'll enjoy it.
Old 11-05-2003, 08:52 AM
MatthewZ

I had a 97 ///M3 2door before my 350Z. I wish I kept it. Unless you want the new car look, stay with the Bimmer. Get an X-brace for $150 and it will handle as well as the Z.
Old 11-05-2003, 10:20 AM
Moodie
Minivan Racer

Default I had a 98 M3 as well....

If you're concerned with the interior quality, road noise, and such, then stick with the bimmer. I won't even consider the G35 Coupe because my buddy has one and he said the road noise is pretty loud as well.

Performance is very close. I had the X-brace, Dinan chip, Dinan CF intake and the SuperSprint exhuast on my bimmer, and I do miss that.

For me, it's a different look, and I sort of know what I am getting into. I raw sports car rather than a refined one, so I am OK with it.
Old 11-05-2003, 12:17 PM
pimp1911

I had a E36 M3 as well. I had over 190,000 miles on her and I was still kickin a$% and taking names. Until I got hit from behind and car was totaled. I echo richard305z comments. The Z is a brute but you will have fun trying to tame it.
Old 11-05-2003, 12:39 PM
Jason Bourne

I've never owned an E36 M3 but I did own an E46 323i and have driven plenty of E36 and E46 M3s at the track (I am a BMWCCA instructor).

I think the 350Z gives you a lot more performance for the buck than just about anything (other than a used E36 M3 perhaps). When I got the Z I was deciding between a 97-99 M3 or a an 03 Enthusiast model 350Z. The cars had similar pricing and performance levels but the Z was likely to be more reliable (because it was new). BMWs tend to have very reliable powertrains but I had a lot of glitches (electronic and otherwise) in my previous BMWs and that edged the decision slightly in the favor of the Z.

But ultimately, what I cared about was performance. If you care about engine smoothness, ride quality, etc... The BMW is a better bet. The Z's V6 has nowhere near the turbine-smooth power delivery of BMW's inline sixes.

To me it is worth it, but if you care about that stuff you may be better off with an E46 M3 or Audi S4 or something.

Jason
Old 11-05-2003, 12:49 PM
Turcoupe

Excuse my BMW noobness but, isn't the M3 the shiznit ?

I have already decided that my next car is a brand new silver M3 coupe (optioned to hell). You guys must be talking about a less capable version of the M3. I know the new ones (2004) do 1/4 stock in very low 13's and a absolutle siiick when it comes to looks and quality. I will not compare it to the Z becasue it is $20,000 more and that is a totally different bracket.

I guess if you have a 5 yr old M3 and it isn't like the new ones as far as performance, a new Z would be a big step up. I don't care what car you have, after 5 yrs, you are sick of it.
Old 11-05-2003, 12:55 PM
Tweety-nator

Originally posted by Turcoupe

I have already decided that my next car is a brand new silver M3 coupe (optioned to hell). You guys must be talking about a less capable version of the M3. I know the new ones (2004) do 1/4 stock in very low 13's and a absolutle siiick when it comes to looks and quality. I will not compare it to the Z becasue it is $20,000 more and that is a totally different bracket.

I guess if you have a 5 yr old M3 and it isn't like the new ones as far as performance, a new Z would be a big step up. I don't care what car you have, after 5 yrs, you are sick of it.
Hey now, the old M3s were pretty quick... 5.4 secs 0-60 is nothing to sneeze at.

Good choice on the new M3 though, gotta love a car that can go to 60mph in 1st gear.
Old 11-05-2003, 01:04 PM
Turcoupe

Ok, I just priced it out. ~$54,000 for a 2004 M3 coupe with nav, 19x9.5 and 19x 8.5 " polished wheels. leather, harmon kardon system, heated seats, sunroof and bi-leveling xenon headlights. I want the Titanium Silver. Considering I paid $36,414 for my touring Z in 2003 and put another few grand into it for mods, a new M3 is only going to cost me another $15,000. Can't wait...........
Old 11-05-2003, 01:46 PM
kbomb

what about tax?
If u can get an M3...forget modding ur Z and get a M3...saw so many in South Beach..and M3 wasn't even the PIMPEST out of all the cars...
Old 11-05-2003, 02:01 PM
TCL

I had a 99 M3 coupe for a year and a half. If I was only going to have one car and use it as a daily driver, I'd take the E36 M3 over the Z. As it is, the Z is a recreational vehicle for me and for that purpose, I prefer it over the M3. I can't address the G35 since I've never driven one.
Old 11-05-2003, 02:06 PM
Turcoupe

Originally posted by kbomb
what about tax?
If u can get an M3...forget modding ur Z and get a M3...saw so many in South Beach..and M3 wasn't even the PIMPEST out of all the cars...
That price I came up with for the BMW wasn't including tax. But, I forgot to add the tax to my Z also, so it still a ~15k difference. As far as the coolness of the M3 is concerned.....I am 23 now and the Z is what I need (an all out sports car that is affordable). The M3 will be mine when I am closer to 30 and want something a little nicer as far as quality/fit/finish but with a little boost in performance as well. I am done modding my Z, and am saving for a nice downpayment on a house. I have no intentions to try to boost my Z's performance with plenum, cats etc. and defintely am not spending 6-8 grand on FI that I will never see again once I sell the car. The Z is quick enough for me right now and am looking foward to getting a new M3 when I retire the Z.

Last edited by Turcoupe; 11-05-2003 at 02:11 PM.
Old 11-05-2003, 03:16 PM
greg328

Thanks everybody for the many replies. I appreciate all the advice.
I really am torn--my initial plan was to pay off the M3, keep it, and get a Ferrari 328 GTS! They can be had for mid 30's to mid 40's, depending on year and mileage. Even though these cars are 14-17 years old now they still look and handle terrific, even though 0-60 in 6 secs is easily accomplished by many cars these days! I guess I always thought of that Ferrari as the most beautiful, pure sports car out there. (cost of service is a whole 'nother subject!!)
I'm getting married in a month, and I doubt my wife will be keen on me having 2 sports cars, so that's why I'm reconsidering getting rid of the M3 and looking for a newer (new) sports car that would satisfy me and my budget.
Nobody really addressed the quality control/recall issues that concern me on the 350Z. Is there a thread on this board that lists all the issues, and if Nissan will fix them? Are they, for the most part, fixed in the 2004 model?
Thanks again........
Old 11-06-2003, 03:47 AM
MatthewZ

Originally posted by Turcoupe

Who's the girl in your avatar/icon thingy??
Old 11-06-2003, 05:57 AM
Jason Bourne

I think the Zs are much more reliable than any E36. People do complain about things but it's generally ridiculously BS stuff like slight grease stains on the windows and relatively quick tire wear (the dreaded tire feathering issue). Believe me, compared to E36 rear shock mount failures, water pump impellers shredding fins and E46 M3s throwing rods left and right, the Zs list of miniscule niggles will not bother you.

Not trying to knock BMW here - I'm still a BMWCCA instructor and WILL buy other BMWs in the future, it's just that the Z really is more reliable.

The only true issue that has cropped up is manual tranny failure for some people (hard to tell if due to abuse or bad parts) but Nissan seems to be really good about replacing trannies under warranty.

Jason