Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

17-year-old male killed in fatal 350Z crash

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 04:41 AM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gryt57
52, Your right about the passenger, I hope he will survive this horrific accident. I know for a fact, trees can be replanted.
The passenger was a female. I hope she survives.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:41 AM
Phreakdout

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a terrible shame. I didn't see anything left on the car worth parting out.

Last edited by Phreakdout; 06-07-2010 at 04:42 AM.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:46 AM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Sucks what happened to those 2. What a shame that the ultimate price was paid to be young and full of life, enjoying a car that most of us work hard for and appreciate.

+1 on the passenger surviving.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:02 AM
pulpz2

Yes, passenger was a female.

When I went to the crash site yesterday, I took my 14 yr old daughter with me. I wanted to talk through with her how something like that could happen, and to understand the danger and responsibility that comes along with driving, and owning a performance car. She loves sports cars, and I know she'll want one when she's old enough to drive. But it's going to be a long time before she gets wheel time behind our Z.

After driving the road up to the crash site, its obvious one of three things happened:

1. Mechanical failure of suspension
2. Unexpected bump steer / caught edge of burm
3. Something in the road just over the rise, and they swerved to keep form hitting it.

There is no question he was driving faster than his line of sight

As you can see in the photo, they just missed a brick fence post. If he would have clipped it with the rear quarter it probably would have squared him to hit the tree head on. I'm guessing he would have had a better chance of surviving if this occurred.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:09 AM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

No one "deserves" to die because they made a mistake. Yes, it was apparently his own fault but that doesn't change the fact. It does drive home the reason neither of my teenagers have ever gotten behind the wheel of my Z. My almost 18 year old was asking me on Friday night if I could attempt, for the 2nd time, to teach her to drive a MT and I told her sure, I would even let her drive the Z on the roads, with ME as the passenger only. She totally gets that. My condolences to the young mans family.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:15 AM
1GR8350Z

I'm going to quit arguing about the financial side of it. That belongs in the 17 year old thread, which I regularly frequent.

Originally Posted by whitelightnin
A person is dead... for being young and driving foolishly. 99% of the people on this site(and prob every one of the dicks above me leaving stupid *** comments) have done something stupid in an automobile. How bout you thank God that you never ended up like this and keep your mouths shut. Try to remember for a minute that your commenting on "REAL" life events, not the awesome internet world where you can be a tool with no remorse. I'm sure you'd all be cool enough to tell this kids mother "He deserved it" while she's crying her heart out....
I've done plenty of stupid chit, just not in a residential area where children could be outside.I'm pretty good at the "no remorse" thing. No, I would not tell her that he deserved it, but if fate were to have me running into the lady and she asked my opinion I would tell her that I hope she learned her lesson and if she has any more children not to put them in sports cars.

Originally Posted by JMSpeed
90% of Z owners here have an unearned sense of pride because they think our Z's give them privileges. It's sickening, but it also makes you realize how sad people become when they think of themselves too much. Everyone in here is lying through their teeth if they blame this kid for speeding and pretend like they've never done it

If you blame the car, you are only following the crowd. I've seen 4-door economy sedans fly through a neighborhood way over the speed limit, just like i've probably seen one of yall do an insane flyby on me because we have the same car. Don't be naive.
Lol at the privilege statement. If I had a Ferrari, maybe. I don't get into pretending, either.

I'm with Novesh about the car. I'm sure we have all seen 4 door sedans showing out, but lets compare that number against teens showing showing out in sports cars.

Originally Posted by terogun
so that's why my parents let me get an 05 sentra spec-v but not a 350z...

on a more serious note, regardless of how it happened... a 17 year old lost his life in this event. whose to blame shouldn't be the highest priority when 2 parents are out there mourning over the loss of their son, along with siblings, relatives and friends... my condolences to all of them.

although i do agree with natural selection, and that one didn't make the cut.
There's also a passenger seriously injured whose only guilt could be looking hot enough that the idiot wanted to show off for.

I do feel for the parents, but they are partially to blame, regardless.

Originally Posted by whitelightnin
The point is that this is still a person. Not just an article that people are reading on the internet. Yes it was his fault. Yes it was foolish.... but he is DEAD. Thats not something for people to joke about IMO.

This argument everyone is riding about how teenagers don't drive safely, dont respect the car,etc...DUH. They are teenagers. They also dont respect drugs or alcohol, have unprotected sex, and think they can beat up king kong. They feel invincible. They have yet to see serious consequences to serious actions. Unfortunately this kid will never get the chance to.
I'm not joking about it, just being real.

Thats why the parents are idiots for putting the keys in his hands.

Originally Posted by Phreakdout
That's a terrible shame. I didn't see anything left on the car worth parting out.
I know, the first thing I looked at was to see if possibly they were 06-08 headlight and escaped damage
Old 06-07-2010, 05:16 AM
Wu-Watt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hexxus
No sympathy here.
Originally Posted by *ICE*
dude deserved it for acting stupid and showing off. I'd blame the parents for buying the kid that car
Originally Posted by s31t8n8
oh well, he deserved it but the car didn't
You guys are ***s. No one deserves to die because they were young and stupid.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:30 AM
lowcel

Originally Posted by Wu-Watt
You guys are ***s. No one deserves to die because they were young and stupid.
Absolutely, if that were the case I would have been dead several times. My first vehicle was a 1985 Chevrolet S-10 4cylinder and I could have been killed in it several times, hell when I had a 92 Tercel I drove like an idiot from time to time and luckily I never hurt myself or anyone else.

Anyway, my best wishes go to the passenger and both of their families and friends. To hell with the car, cars can be replaced loved ones can't.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:35 AM
Z_HighSpeed

Originally Posted by dave079
I think thats beyond the point. Any parent allowing their child to buy a sports car regardless of the situation should be shot.
+infinite

/thread
Old 06-07-2010, 06:06 AM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

I can't agree that any parent allowing a teen to have a sports car should be shot. I had an Austin Healey Sprite when I was 17 and I'm still alive to talk about it. I loved my Sprite and still wish I had it some 47 years later. Sports car or not, kids are going to do some pretty stupid things (I know I did). You can get into serious trouble with a sedan. It is entirely possible the handling and braking of a sports car can get you out of the trouble in which you find yourself way.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:09 AM
Z_HighSpeed

Originally Posted by KornerCarver
I can't agree that any parent allowing a teen to have a sports car should be shot. I had an Austin Healey Sprite when I was 17 and I'm still alive to talk about it. I loved my Sprite and still wish I had it some 47 years later. Sports car or not, kids are going to do some pretty stupid things (I know I did). You can get into serious trouble with a sedan. It is entirely possible the handling and braking of a sports car can get you out of the trouble in which you find yourself way.
This is the reason why they should be shot, now a days. It simply is a different time period, one where responsibilities and taking that burden which comes with them goes to the wind.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:11 AM
1GR8350Z

Originally Posted by KornerCarver
You can, but it is not near as likely. Please see 17 year old thread. We have a nice argument about that going on now. As I said earlier, it didn't save this one
Old 06-07-2010, 06:20 AM
garytucker

I was 17 once, with a Z...but you know what? My parents were parents not just sperm and egg donors that some of today's parents have become (birth the kid, pay a nanny, continue partying like they are kids still). My parents taught me responsibility (did I still do stupid things? Yes) and they were smart enough to teach me about the car I was in versus just throwing me the keys.

I got one of the neighborhood boys mad at me the other day in a case much like this. He and his buddy were out "testing" his crotch rocket in the neighborhood in front of my house. Two little girls two doors down were in their front yard and this idiot is "only in first gear" but accelerating from the stop signs aggressively. I managed to get the friend stopped and called the police. The owner of the bike doesn't even have a motorcycle endorsement(unfortunately his friend with an endorsement was on the bike when I stopped it). The officer couldn't ticket them or anything, but at least they've been "testing" a little slower lately.

It isn't the car, it really isn't the age...it is the maturity level of the person behind the wheel. I'm 41 now, and I see friends of mine making the same type of idiotic mistakes...
Old 06-07-2010, 07:28 AM
Romanteni

Originally Posted by zer0cool
What annoys me is the (***)umption that his parents bought the car for him and that he "deserved" what happened to him. We all make mistakes. ...... (ends rant)
But the point is not WHO bought the Z. Point is they said yes to him having it. If they got no ***** to say "no" if his uncle buys it for him, just to be cool "buddies" in their sons eyes- they're just as much to blame. Giving him a car that just gets your testostrone pumping when you get in front of the wheel is dangerous, weather its a Z, or a 500HP Ferrari,. I even think the Z would be more dangerous just because its more tempting to show off.

Its not who bought it for you, its about parents acting like parents and making the decision FOR their kids, until they're capable of making it themselves. Sh*t my dad let me drive his Porsche when i was 14, but it was at an isolated driving school track, with him beating my *** if i did anything wrong (lol not literaly).
Old 06-07-2010, 07:35 AM
Romanteni

Originally Posted by slimjim888
RIP kid and I hope that the passenger is okay.

It's sad to see so much negativity here in the thread. You don't even know what really happened out there and there are all these assumptions. Just like someone said, it could've happened in some other car. I know this is 350z forum, but too many fanatics "highly praise" the Z as some super car. It doesn't have to be some 300+ horsepower car to end up in a fatal accident. As far as I know, it can just as well ehappen in a 120 hp civic.
Um, when I had my civic, I didn't pay $290 dollars a month for insurance, I paid 40. Statistics show most of it. A cool sports car you're much more tempted to show off. And why are you just paying attention to the negativity, didn't you see all the warm wishes towards the passenger and the tree?

And all those throwing numbers out saying 17 year old can afford a Z. Um, how old are you, and how much ARE YOU paying for insurance? There's a reason insurance is insane high on a Z, and a 17 year old would never afford just insurance itself. 2 options, either they're driving w/o insurance, or they are on parent's insurance, either way, its our insurance rates, and statistics going up. So no, a 17 year old would still either drive w/o insurance, or have parents pay for it, because at that age you'd have to be paying like 300+ a month for insurance, or, be a "cool" parent, and put yourself (daddy) as the primary driver.

Last edited by Romanteni; 06-07-2010 at 07:46 AM.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:43 AM
MarvinMartian

I didn't know him.

In the time it takes me to write this post, many, many other people I don't know and have never met will have died across the world.
Many of them as a result of something other than being an idiot.

Too many people die in the world for me to care about a kid who did something stupid. He's not the first, he won't be the last.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:53 AM
michaeljr6

Originally Posted by jbean8510
why does a 17 year old own a Z?
i did.......
Old 06-07-2010, 08:00 AM
Romanteni

And to those of you saying people on this forum being As*es, and "oh not like you never speed". F8ck yeah I speed, I go 80MPH on a 70MPH zone every single day, when I drive from my meeting and there's literaly no cars on interstate, or when conditions allow it.
Assuming that ppl who speed are irresponsible is stupid. Speeding and being a complete moron behind the wheel are 2 different things.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:07 AM
Phenom
Toasty

Received 1,382 Likes on 990 Posts

It's a good thing all the older members are too righteous to do 15 over the speed limit
Old 06-07-2010, 08:10 AM
Z_HighSpeed

Originally Posted by Phenom
It's a good thing all the older members are too experienced to do 15 over the speed limit
fixed.

Quick Reply: 17-year-old male killed in fatal 350Z crash