Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

17-year-old male killed in fatal 350Z crash

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 08:27 AM
phreaktor
¯¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Gotta love the bone jarring, neck snappingly violent acceleration of a stock 2003 350Z.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:30 AM
cabnfvr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rather than blame a kid for being 17 I'd blame our lack of driver education in the good old US of A. We teach kids how to parallel park and nothing about the fact that if you loose traction at speed over a rise you've got maybe one shot to correct for it, and that one shot does not involve the brakes.

I've been 17. I've been stupid. I've been lucky. This kid wasn't lucky.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:31 AM
chitownpete

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stupis is as stupid does. A RWD fast sports car is a bad idea for anyone with less than 5 years of road experience. When I was 24 I has a Starion turbo and guess what? I spun it out and got very lucky that no one got hurt. If I was in a Civic it wouldn't have happened. Oh yeah, I was carefull and knew what I was doing.
Its like giving a coke addict a big bag and telling him to not do too much. Fortunately no innocent people got hurt, just the inconsiderate jerk in the car that was too fast for him.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:33 AM
LuciaPwNs

Natural Selection...to bad a Z had to go down with him though.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:33 AM
chitownpete

Originally Posted by phreaktor
Gotta love the bone jarring, neck snappingly violent acceleration of a stock 2003 350Z.

For a young inexperienced driver, this is how it feels. This kids stock Z jarred his bones and snapped his neck.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:36 AM
BoomerZ33

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I feel a little bad for the kid and his Z. At least the tree looks to be ok
Old 06-07-2010, 08:37 AM
Mike@Blackline
Banned

Originally Posted by SilverFox006
Very sad to hear someone so young lose their life. I did my own fair share of stupid crap when I was his age, as did most others, so please hold back on the negative comments.
i agree, me too, but i never did anything that would have resulted in death in the worse case scenario. though i should be dead from a car wreck that was 110% not my fault, so i know what a close call is.
terribly sad, but kids shouldnt be getting 350Z as their first fast cars
Old 06-07-2010, 08:41 AM
phreaktor
¯¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I agree that teens are stupid behind the wheel and that this kid should not have been driving this car (I hate arrogant teens). However, the people saying "he deserved to die blah blah" are way out of line. Then again, it's a lot easier to be so judgemental when you read an article on your computer.

Kids do stupid things all the time, not just behind the wheel. Maybe one day, those of you with kids who say this one deserved to die will see how asnine and pompous that statement is when YOUR kid falls off a bridge, gets beaten to death for being in the wrong neighborhood after dark, or drowns swimming in a closed pool with no LG.

Kids do stupid stuff, but it does not mean their lives are somehow less valuable than yours. The hypocrisy is strong with some of you, BTW.

Last edited by phreaktor; 06-07-2010 at 08:43 AM.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:43 AM
GhostRiderXXX

I speed. And not just 10mph over. I have been lucky. I totaled my '05 GTO, walked away with some trauma and contusions. I could have died that day. When it's your time to go, you go, you know? No matter whether its a heart attack or car accident.

I feel sorry for the two and their families.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:48 AM
Deedilus

My condolences go out to everyone that knew him for their loss. It was his fault though; with no experience and a boosted ego at the fact that he was 17 driving a Z with a female in the passenger seat you're starting to ask for something to go wrong. Did he deserve to die? No. Unfortunately he was asking for it by driving like a maniac.

When I had my Focus and still had my permit my parents made me go to a defensive driving course and a racing school so I understood driving better. When I got my 240sx my parents made me do both again, that way I better understood what comes with RWD and more power (It was already modified quite a bit when I got it). Luckily I had parents who understood the dangers of teenage driving and immediately stopped it as best they could; by making sure I knew what I was doing and that I respected what cars are capable of.

Once again, RIP and my condolences go out to everyone who knew him. +1 to the passenger recovering as well.

Last edited by Deedilus; 06-07-2010 at 08:50 AM.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:04 AM
hartsickdiscipl

Originally Posted by cabnfvr
Rather than blame a kid for being 17 I'd blame our lack of driver education in the good old US of A. We teach kids how to parallel park and nothing about the fact that if you loose traction at speed over a rise you've got maybe one shot to correct for it, and that one shot does not involve the brakes.

You make a very interesting point, and I agree. Our new driver education system is a joke. For awhile I've been a proponent of having different "classes" of driver's licenses for different types of cars. A base civic or corolla would be a class A, for example. Basic driving school required. A class B might include a Spec V, Prelude, etc.. Some performance driving education required before issuing license. Class C would include cars like a 350/370z, Solstice GXP, Mustang, etc.. Full driving school required for new drivers, X amount of hours on a racetrack. You determine the license classes required for each car with power/weight ratio and/or crash-test results.

I know this is probably unrealistic due to the cost of implementing a testing system like this.. but I feel it would work much better in terms of making new drivers safer. Plus there would be a higher cost to get a class B or C license, so it would discourage new drivers from trying to go this route. This is just how it would work in my ideal world
Old 06-07-2010, 09:08 AM
1GR8350Z

How about raising insurance cost for any teenager driving a sports car to $2,000 a month. There would still be some parents that wanted to make their kids happy and dumb enough to pay it, but not nearly as many and sorry busboys
Old 06-07-2010, 09:09 AM
Romanteni

In europe, (not all countries) back in the day, driving school was a year long program or so, and by the time you're done you REALLY know how to drive. First, most cars there are manual, rwd. And road conditions are horrible. So system like that would be easier to implement then some of the many useless "causes" our government wastes money on. But again, it wouldn't be as profitable as those, but then again, this country is all about the "American Dream", where your hopes and dreams, are just that lol.

Originally Posted by hartsickdiscipl
You make a very interesting point, and I agree. Our new driver education system is a joke. For awhile I've been a proponent of having different "classes" of driver's licenses for different types of cars. A base civic or corolla would be a class A, for example. Basic driving school required. A class B might include a Spec V, Prelude, etc.. Some performance driving education required before issuing license. Class C would include cars like a 350/370z, Solstice GXP, Mustang, etc.. Full driving school required for new drivers, X amount of hours on a racetrack. You determine the license classes required for each car with power/weight ratio and/or crash-test results.

I know this is probably unrealistic due to the cost of implementing a testing system like this.. but I feel it would work much better in terms of making new drivers safer. Plus there would be a higher cost to get a class B or C license, so it would discourage new drivers from trying to go this route. This is just how it would work in my ideal world
Old 06-07-2010, 09:10 AM
hartsickdiscipl

Originally Posted by 1GR8350Z
How about raising insurance cost for any teenager driving a sports car to $2,000 a month. There would still be some parents that wanted to make their kids happy and dumb enough to pay it, but not nearly as many and sorry busboys
That will accomplish part of the goal, but then you'll just end up with a bunch more kids with 300+ hp modified civics.. They won't be able to afford a car that came fast from the factory, so they'll just modify basic cars to hell.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:12 AM
F34RL355
Banned

i think the car was the females
Old 06-07-2010, 09:15 AM
1GR8350Z

That will accomplish part of the goal, but then you'll just end up with a bunch more kids with 300+ hp modified civics.. They won't be able to afford a car that came fast from the factory, so they'll just modify basic cars to hell.
You are truly full of weaksauce argument.

Most of thos Civics with those Ebay turbos will spend more time in a shop or sitting in their yard while they come up with the money to fix them
Old 06-07-2010, 09:15 AM
FineWine

Originally Posted by cabnfvr

If you don't start out with a rwd sports car...you would gain this "knowledge" through experience and maturity.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:17 AM
Romanteni

or those cops that just sit there with coffee and donuts and hunt down Zs, instead pull over those ricers on civics and integras with $50 mufflers, for being too dam loud, having no insurance, and driving like **** with some cheap *** loud music.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:18 AM
FineWine

turning the into a cop bashing thread.....really?
Old 06-07-2010, 09:19 AM
hartsickdiscipl

Originally Posted by 1GR8350Z
You are truly full of weaksauce argument.

Most of thos Civics with those Ebay turbos will spend more time in a shop or sitting in their yard while they come up with the money to fix them
Let's try it your way and see what happens. I guarantee you that the kids will find a way around it. We'll find out who's full of "weaksauce" then. You know I'm right. This is how kids currently get around the high insurance rates on sports cars, so what makes you think they won't just do it to a greater extent if you jack the rates up even more? They've already proven that this is the way around it.

Last edited by hartsickdiscipl; 06-07-2010 at 09:21 AM.

Quick Reply: 17-year-old male killed in fatal 350Z crash