Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

LSD based on trim

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010 | 07:00 AM
GreasyGinzo

Default LSD based on trim

I am looking for a new used Z and I have a question regarding LSD equiped models. Since dealers like to list 350's as being Grand Touring, Touring etc when they are clearly not is there a way to tell from the VIN or certain options (leather, VDC etc) is a car I am looking at has LSD or not? This way I don't waste my time driving to look at car to only drive it and discover it does not have LSD. If there is a difference over the years please describe in detail what to look for in the different years. I am not really looking for a certain motor as I am a car that is in good condition but LSD is a must.
Old 09-15-2010 | 07:03 AM
nismonian

all base models come with open diffs.. the simplest way to find out is to look at the steering wheel if it doesnt have any controls then its a base. all the other trims come with the crappy vlsd. btw, search is your friend...
Old 09-15-2010 | 07:06 AM
LollerShakes

Wish people were not tards on here. How hard is it to search?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 09-15-2010 | 07:17 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic
Premier Member

The Z from factory comes with a V-LSD on the NON-BASE model 350z's.
it uses viscous fluid to hold lock, once the fluid reaches shear it becomes an OPEN diff!!!

That being said,
The other problem here is that you are looking to purchase a USED 350z with a VLSD as a primary focal point and odds are if your buying a Z with over 30,000 miles the VLSD fluid isnt as viscous as it was when new and you end up with a open diff anyways........

I would pick a car at the price point you can afford to install an aftermarket LSD....A REAL LSD for the car.......the differences in performance are ungodly.....literally a completely different car.....

Driving a vlsd stock Z is like driving an open diff car compared to literally any of the aftermarket diffs available for the Z.

Types of Aftermarket LSD's - search for more info on the subject...but,
if your looking for a daily driver diff - get a quaife...many love it for its zero noise and little maintenance.

track, etc...look at a clutch packed LSD..

Trust me - you will be glad you did this over looking "primarily" for a USED VLSD car...

-J

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 09-15-2010 at 07:20 AM.
Old 09-15-2010 | 07:30 AM
AcidJake75
Living in 350Z
Premier Member

Originally Posted by JasonZ-YA

Types of Aftermarket LSD's - search for more info on the subject...but,
if your looking for a daily driver diff - get a quaife...many love it for its zero noise and little maintenance.

track, etc...look at a clutch packed LSD..

Trust me - you will be glad you did this over looking "primarily" for a USED VLSD car...

-J
QUAIFE FTW! the VLSD is "OK" and I only say that cause I knew a few peops (that have already upgraded to a clutch diff) that had it on their cars and tracked it and drifted on it. However the difference in performance was literally night and day.

Just depends on what your gonna use the car for - but since I have the Quaife LSD its been by far the most fun and best aftermarket mod Ive done to my car. (I track and drift and my Z is my DD)
Old 09-15-2010 | 08:51 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier Member

The VLSD should actually just be called a Viscous open diff
Old 09-15-2010 | 08:59 AM
SLIdEwAyZ25

VLSD stands for "V"icious"L"y "S"lipping "D"iff
Old 09-15-2010 | 10:02 AM
davidv

Dealers listing the improper model is not being deceptive – they are just lazy. It is your obligation to study the various models and know what you are buying.
Old 09-15-2010 | 12:37 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Originally Posted by davidv
Dealers listing the improper model is not being deceptive
actually it quite is...............they knowingly will say a z on the lot is a touring model, etc to swindle the unknowing buyer......

Ive heard all the sales pitch jargon about model/trim first hand when at used lots..........

I agree on researching/studying....OP, definitely do your homework on what models have what...
-J

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 09-15-2010 at 12:38 PM.
Old 09-16-2010 | 03:41 AM
GreasyGinzo

I agree on researching/studying....OP, definitely do your homework on what models have what...
-J
Uh yea thats what I was trying to do by posting my question. So what I gather no matter what the year 03-08 if the car has cruise control buttons on the steering wheel it has LSD? Is that correct?
Old 09-16-2010 | 04:03 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Originally Posted by GreasyGinzo
Uh yea thats what I was trying to do by posting my question. So what I gather no matter what the year 03-08 if the car has cruise control buttons on the steering wheel it has LSD? Is that correct?
NO, it has a V-LSD...

-J
Old 09-16-2010 | 04:22 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic
Premier Member

GreasyGinzo;

Dont get us wrong, were not trying to harp on your parade, but rather help and inform you of the fact that the factory equipped V-LSD that comes on the NON - base model 350z's is not a strong feature....even daily driving, misty wet roads, etc.........understand that most likely any used Z you buy will pretty much be an open viscous diff..........

were not joking.......my wifes saturn sky has a better performing 4 disk only clutch diff than a NEW'er V-lsd 350z...

The V-lsd isnt servicable, fluid is not replaceable in the V-lsd unit, you can change to a more viscous fluid, etc..etc....

I wouldnt trust it on a wet road - if your looking at this for a daily driving safety feature (which is what any lsd on a factory car is intended for)....

-J

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 09-16-2010 at 04:26 AM.
Old 09-16-2010 | 05:25 AM
GreasyGinzo

GreasyGinzo;

Dont get us wrong, were not trying to harp on your parade, but rather help and inform you of the fact that the factory equipped V-LSD that comes on the NON - base model 350z's is not a strong feature....even daily driving, misty wet roads, etc.........understand that most likely any used Z you buy will pretty much be an open viscous diff..........

were not joking.......my wifes saturn sky has a better performing 4 disk only clutch diff than a NEW'er V-lsd 350z...

The V-lsd isnt servicable, fluid is not replaceable in the V-lsd unit, you can change to a more viscous fluid, etc..etc....

I wouldnt trust it on a wet road - if your looking at this for a daily driving safety feature (which is what any lsd on a factory car is intended for)....

-J

I know what the differences are between the types of differentials. I have owned cars with factory VLSD that I have swapped better performing aftermarket diffs into. I have driven numerous 350z's with and without VLSD and unless you guys are beating the **** out of your cars and completely destroying your rear ends they are night and day different compared to an open diff. I know the advantages and disadvantages of factory diffs and it is something I want in a car that I purchase. Why is it automatically assumed that a new member has no prior knowledge of mechanics? Just an answer to my question will be more than enough help...thanks
Old 09-16-2010 | 05:27 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic
Premier Member

^ then you were done with your answer at post 2..

Good luck finding your car...

-J
Old 09-16-2010 | 07:04 AM
GreasyGinzo

^ then you were done with your answer at post 2..

Good luck finding your car...

-J
Right but I was just double checking if that went for all years including 07 and 08
Old 09-16-2010 | 07:13 AM
PotentialZ

This sentence is confusing me. You can or can't change out the fluid? Because if you can, wouldn't that make it serviceable?
Old 09-16-2010 | 07:49 AM
nismonian

Originally Posted by GreasyGinzo
Right but I was just double checking if that went for all years including 07 and 08
it's for all years. i have a 08 base..
Old 09-16-2010 | 07:53 AM
GreasyGinzo

Originally Posted by nismonian
it's for all years. i have a 08 base..
Thanks
Old 09-16-2010 | 09:42 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Originally Posted by PotentialZ
This sentence is confusing me. You can or can't change out the fluid? Because if you can, wouldn't that make it serviceable?
sorry, your right, i ment to type "can't"

see, you can change the diff housing fluid (ring gear and pinion protecting fluid), but you can't change the viscous fluid inside the vlsd unit...see the vlsd unit is a completely enclosed unit.

-J
Old 09-16-2010 | 10:37 AM
PotentialZ

Ah OK, thanks! That sucks, but I guess for a stock VLSD unit it's pretty common.

Quick Reply: LSD based on trim