Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

This pertains to the "17 year olds getting Z's" debate...

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 05:46 AM
QuasiMoFo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1GR8350Z
C'mon Dave, ban both accounts unless he provides us with a few days of entertainment

Seriously? You definitely deserve to banned if you are truly this ignorant. I can think of a few exceptions, like the guy with the blue Z with the supercharged logo and the idiot with the flames painted all over his Z, but if you really think that the majority of ricer are old you are sadly mistaken.

How's your dad's mad ball handling skills coming along. Did he end up giving you the 18k to buy you a Z with

My thoughts exactly
Sold my tC for 15K, bought the Z for 12.

Last edited by QuasiMoFo; 05-04-2011 at 05:48 AM.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:56 AM
gidiup

Originally Posted by QuasiMoFo

Are you bragging that you made 3 grand?

What did the tC run you? Lets start the calculator from the beginning.

Cost of tC - What you sold tC for - Cost of Z = Money down the drain
Old 05-04-2011, 12:52 PM
1GR8350Z

So your parents gave you a Z and 3k. What about the 18k you were bragging about?
Old 05-04-2011, 01:16 PM
xelaxor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm 18.

First car was my moms 97 accord.
Now I own a 350z, which i'm paying for
Old 05-04-2011, 02:58 PM
1GR8350Z

Originally Posted by xelaxor
I'm 18.

First car was my moms 97 accord.
Now I own a 350z, which i'm paying for
How can you own something that you are paying for? Unless the title is in your hand, you don't own chit. It is possible that your parent paid for the car and are allowing you to pay them, but that's too easy since it's so easy to skip out on a payment knowing daddy won't be showing up in the middle of the night to repo your car.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:21 PM
QuasiMoFo

So your parents gave you a Z and 3k. What about the 18k you were bragging about?
chillin in the bank
Old 05-04-2011, 11:59 PM
dizenman

Im 20 and ive owned a z for the past year. It was originally my dads and i basically took over payments from him. I disagree with some of the arguments that 17 year olds shouldn't own z's because its too fast and they'll crash them, or whatever the argument is. I do think it should not be their first car. more kids than not will end up totaling their first car. I almost did. My first car was a tahoe, and i drove it hard. Im in california, and the truck had summer tires on, and it was my first time ever driving on a slick surface. I didnt know it was slick as the fog and rain was at like 5 am, and it was already 730. Upon taking a turn a fishtailed, tried correcting it, hopped a curb and broke the axle and rims, which flipped it onto its side. Were i driving a z, I probably wouldnt have lost control, and i definitely wouldnt have flipped it. at the very worst i would have some body work to do and broken rims. Regardless, I do believe most young drivers will crash their first cars. however, if you are a fast driver, you are a fast driver. those of us with lead foots are going to drive the same regardless if its a z, a bugatti or a toyota yaris. The difference between a toyota yaris and a z though, is that when youre going 95 on an empty freeway at 12am, and some ******* pulls infront of you at 45 (has happened to me) the z will be able to stop fast enough to avoid the accident, or swerve out of the way without losing traction for the most part. the yaris wont be able to. So, I feel high performance cars are safer for younger drivers in the respect that they handle better and stop faster than cheap cars and beaters. Just set a speed limiter to 80 and a rev limiter to 5600-6000 and its good to go. I do understand the argument though that 17 year olds are going to crash their zs. every time my 16 year old brother takes my car i get scared shitless...especially when i found out he drove 110 one time, although all of the accidents that have happened to the z either my mom or my dad did...
Old 05-05-2011, 12:46 AM
Barnabas
National Z Club President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dizenman
Im 20 and ive owned a z for the past year. It was originally my dads and i basically took over payments from him. I disagree with some of the arguments that 17 year olds shouldn't own z's because its too fast and they'll crash them, or whatever the argument is. I do think it should not be their first car. more kids than not will end up totaling their first car. I almost did. My first car was a tahoe, and i drove it hard. Im in california, and the truck had summer tires on, and it was my first time ever driving on a slick surface. I didnt know it was slick as the fog and rain was at like 5 am, and it was already 730. Upon taking a turn a fishtailed, tried correcting it, hopped a curb and broke the axle and rims, which flipped it onto its side. Were i driving a z, I probably wouldnt have lost control, and i definitely wouldnt have flipped it. at the very worst i would have some body work to do and broken rims. Regardless, I do believe most young drivers will crash their first cars. however, if you are a fast driver, you are a fast driver. those of us with lead foots are going to drive the same regardless if its a z, a bugatti or a toyota yaris. The difference between a toyota yaris and a z though, is that when youre going 95 on an empty freeway at 12am, and some ******* pulls infront of you at 45 (has happened to me) the z will be able to stop fast enough to avoid the accident, or swerve out of the way without losing traction for the most part. the yaris wont be able to. So, I feel high performance cars are safer for younger drivers in the respect that they handle better and stop faster than cheap cars and beaters. Just set a speed limiter to 80 and a rev limiter to 5600-6000 and its good to go. I do understand the argument though that 17 year olds are going to crash their zs. every time my 16 year old brother takes my car i get scared shitless...especially when i found out he drove 110 one time, although all of the accidents that have happened to the z either my mom or my dad did...
Sounds like bad driving just runs in your family
Old 05-05-2011, 01:29 AM
1GR8350Z

I lol'd at "lead foots". I see a few things wrong here:

1.Performance car with their better braking and handling at higher speeds will give the kid more confidence that they will be ok going 95 down a freeway if someone pulls out in front of them at 45. This will make them more likely to try it and more likely to end up a statistic. No matter how you look at it, driving at high speeds and inexperienced drivers are not a good mix.

2.It does make a difference what someone is driving. I assure that I'm much more likely to "shoot the gap" in my turbo Z than I am in my Accord.

3.It sounds like you have no choice but to let your little brother drive the Z, which begs the question. Is it really yours or is it still your dad's?

How many accidents has your Z been involved in?

Last edited by 1GR8350Z; 05-05-2011 at 01:52 AM.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:43 AM
Barnabas
National Z Club President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And tell the truth... you were trying to drift the tahoe and had no idea what you were doing and lost control. You were driving way to fast if you rolled it over a curb from it "fishtailing"
Old 05-05-2011, 03:06 AM
1GR8350Z

chillin in the bank
Congrats on the Z and cash being handed to you. Hopefully one day your parents will allow you to know the feeling of earning what you have.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:58 AM
pcressey

more kids than not will end up totaling their first car.
I disagree.

The difference between a toyota yaris and a z though, is that when youre going 95 on an empty freeway at 12am, and some ******* pulls infront of you at 45 (has happened to me) the z will be able to stop fast enough to avoid the accident, or swerve out of the way without losing traction for the most part. the yaris wont be able to. So, I feel high performance cars are safer for younger drivers in the respect that they handle better and stop faster than cheap cars and beaters.
1. You are calling the person obeying the law a "*******" because they change lanes at night when someone is doing 95 behind them... and they are somehow supposed to judge their ridiculous speed... makes sense.

2. I bet that I could outperform you in a Yaris doing braking, slalom and other similar events. A kid with very little experience thinking the Z gives him "leeway" to do dumb things is, or push it that much more is a moron... it really comes down to the driver.

Last edited by pcressey; 05-05-2011 at 08:59 AM.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:20 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Originally Posted by Barnabas
And tell the truth... you were trying to drift the tahoe and had no idea what you were doing and lost control. You were driving way to fast if you rolled it over a curb from it "fishtailing"
^^This sounds more feasible.

I drove my 06 Frontier on completely bald rear tires in Houston's slickest streets and have never fishtailed it...
Old 05-05-2011, 04:24 PM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If dizenman was trying to defend 17 year olds having 350's, he might want to rethink joining the debate team. FYI youngster, Ive got two kids, 22 and 19. neither of them have totaled a car, or even bent one. I've got a lot of friends with kids that age - none of their kids has either. Should we start a poll here? How many of us have ever totaled a car?
Old 05-05-2011, 08:16 PM
QuasiMoFo

ITT: Disgruntled old men
Old 05-05-2011, 09:16 PM
dizenman

Last time i try to type some sort of argument up at 1 am after 340 miles of driving and 9 hours of classes. after reading it when Im more awake I see how stupid some of th things i said are. im going to try and reply to some of your posts to better express what i was trying to say
Old 05-05-2011, 09:29 PM
dizenman

I lol'd at "lead foots". I see a few things wrong here:

1.Performance car with their better braking and handling at higher speeds will give the kid more confidence that they will be ok going 95 down a freeway if someone pulls out in front of them at 45. This will make them more likely to try it and more likely to end up a statistic. No matter how you look at it, driving at high speeds and inexperienced drivers are not a good mix.

I agree, That is the reason i said the speed limiter at 80, or 75, or even 65 for instance. They do make devices that limit the top speed of cars. I think the advantages of the better handling and braking could be good for a young driver.

2.It does make a difference what someone is driving. I assure that I'm much more likely to "shoot the gap" in my turbo Z than I am in my Accord.

On one hand, yes. On the other, I drive ALOT. two times a week i commute from the inland empire to bakersfield which comes out to 340 miles a day, and another 3 times a week its the inland empire to LA, as well as other various commutes. i put on over 1000 miles a week sometimes, so i see a lot of cars. typically, the craziest drivers I see, pulling the most insane gaps are in VW jettas, mazda 3s, honda civics, and various cars produced before 1995. all of these are cars common for teenagers, and not as safe in doing those as a car like a z would be (Im not saying these passes are safe, i rarely if ever shoot the gap any more, i'd rather wait an extra 5-10 seconds for a larger gap)

3.It sounds like you have no choice but to let your little brother drive the Z, which begs the question. Is it really yours or is it still your dad's?

Sometimes I'm nice and let him drive it. His girlfriend lives 20 minutes from our house with highway driving involved. his car is a complete beater, it dies all the time. I feel it is safer for him in that than his to do that drive. other times when im out somewhere in another car, he will take it without asking. thats what pisses me off.

How many accidents has your Z been involved in?
no major accidents. the first was with my dad. one kid didnt see him(driving a lifted truck at night time) and merged into it. it was only minor body work. the second was also my dad. fell asleep while in traffic and rear ended somebody. the next, and most recent was my mom, about 2 weeks ago i let her drive it, and she drove it over a curb or parking bumper and destroyed the nismo v2 bumper i had gotten just a month earlier from DTM.
answered in bold
Old 05-05-2011, 09:33 PM
dizenman

Originally Posted by Barnabas
I wasn't trying to drift it. to be honest, the tahoe was heavily modded. suspension, engine, everything. to be honest, It was too much car for me at the time. during the summer in dry conditions it handled better than any truck should handle. and me being the dumb 17 year old, took a turn as i would normally take a turn, was about 20-25 mph on that turn, which was quick for that turn, but ive taken it quicker in drier conditions. when it hopped the curb it broke the rim and axle. hopping the curb itself didnt tip it, the broken rim and axle did. it literally was up there, it stopped for 15 seconds, then tipped. had i put it in park and turned the engine off it might not have, but regardless, that was years ago and was a dumb mistake on my part. I wish i had been taught what to do when i lose traction. now i know.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:42 PM
dizenman

Originally Posted by pcressey
I disagree.

1. You are calling the person obeying the law a "*******" because they change lanes at night when someone is doing 95 behind them... and they are somehow supposed to judge their ridiculous speed... makes sense.

If somebody wants to drive 45-55 mph in the right line i commend them. they are in the correct lane. i have no negative words about somebody like that. BUT, somebody driving 45-55mph in the left lane is an *******.that is well below the speed limit, and on an empty freeway well below the speed of traffic. It has been proven that people who drive 10mph below the speed of traffic are 6 times more likely to get an in accident than those driving 10mph above it. on top of that, this particular person used no turn signal. that is an *******. 45 mph in the left lane isn't obeying the law btw. somebody can be pulled over for that on a freely moving freeway. I have seen it happen.

2. I bet that I could outperform you in a Yaris doing braking, slalom and other similar events. A kid with very little experience thinking the Z gives him "leeway" to do dumb things is, or push it that much more is a moron... it really comes down to the driver.

I agree and disagree with this statement. michael schumacher could probably outperform me in a model T, he could probably out perform most of us. but most people arent and never will be michael schumacher. So, the extra performance could get them out of some sticky situations. But that is the same reason i mentioned a Rev and speed limiter. if the revs are limited lower, they can't accelerate thinking theyre rambo, and with the speed limiters, they cant be driving too fast doing stupid things. the extra performance of a z gives them leeway when somebody else does dumb things. just today i was nearly run off the road by a truck who didnt see me.other drivers are dangerous. why sacrifice your performance? i can't see how better braking and cornering can be considered a bad thing.
in bold
Old 05-05-2011, 09:52 PM
dizenman

Originally Posted by PerfZ
If dizenman was trying to defend 17 year olds having 350's, he might want to rethink joining the debate team. FYI youngster, Ive got two kids, 22 and 19. neither of them have totaled a car, or even bent one. I've got a lot of friends with kids that age - none of their kids has either. Should we start a poll here? How many of us have ever totaled a car?
Yeah, after reading my post i see how stupid it sounded. i was defending 17 year olds having zs as well as arguing against it. I do believe the performance of a Z can be beneficial to young drivers when they are put in shitty situations because of other drivers who just don't pay attention. It is very common. and if you do as much driving as i do, you will see people driving cars that shouldnt even be on the road anymore pulling moves that are just insane. that is why i said if you have a lead foot, you have a lead foot. ive seen a prius driving at its speed limiter. And maybe where you are less kids get in accidents, but me being in california im a bit more jaded. more people i know have gotten in accidents then haven't. most of which weren't always their faults. there are a lot of drivers here that simply do not pay attention. its as if turn signals and mirrorrs dont exist. because of that, i feel the better braking and handling is a big advantage for young drivers.

basically, my argument is that I dont think having a car that can brake and turn as well as a Z is a bad thing for a teenager, because those advantages can get them out of some shitty situations. although now that i think about it, a mazda miata is probably a better choice since it doesn't accelerate as quickly.

Quick Reply: This pertains to the "17 year olds getting Z's" debate...