Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

This pertains to the "17 year olds getting Z's" debate...

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 09:54 PM
dizenman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vo7848
^^This sounds more feasible.

I drove my 06 Frontier on completely bald rear tires in Houston's slickest streets and have never fishtailed it...
Haha, i can guarantee when you did that you were a better driver than i was when i had that accident. that was over 3 years ago though, ive learned a lot since then.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:39 AM
1GR8350Z

Originally Posted by LGSociety
I'm 17 and I own a Z. You do realize the only kids that wreck their cars are ones who dont give a **** and know that they'll just get another car? Some of us dont have that option. I think twice before I do something beyond my skill or experience, because hey; if I crash it, i'll be walking for the next few years.

Statistics are stupid, and ruin it for the rest of us.
Wow, another exception to the rule. Enlighten us on how you own a z at 17.
How is it that statistics are stupid. From where I'm standing it's the idiots that make up the statistics that are stupid.

Dizenman, I think it's time to hide the keys from the family. I can't possibly imagine allowing my family, especially my little brother take my car without permission.

I can see your point about better handling being an advantage in a sticky situation, but those situations are few and far between. Your speed limiter sounds gr8 and would stop a kid from drag racing or highways runs, but won't do a whole lot when it comes to seeing how fast your car will handle a sharp turn. I know that when I'm in my Accord that the thought of testing the limits doesn't even enter my mind.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:42 AM
Flick Montana

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm 17 and I own a Z.
No you don't.

The truths:
A) Your parents own the car and you get to drive it.
B) The bank owns your car and you get to to drive it.
C) You bought it as a salvage title for $5k and no one cares.

I own my car. I paid $5k down, and leased it for 3 years. After that, I got a bank loan to finalize payments on the car and paid my last payment last year and had the title mailed to me. THAT is owning a car. Having the keys in your pocket does not mean you own it.

You do realize the only kids that wreck their cars are ones who dont give a **** and know that they'll just get another car?
I wrecked a car as a teen. Not because I didn't give a crap about it or thought I would get another one, but because I had only been behind the wheel for about a year and a half and I didn't know how to judge a situation properly. I didn't respond appropriately and I rear ended someone.

Some of us dont have that option. I think twice before I do something beyond my skill or experience, because hey; if I crash it, i'll be walking for the next few years.
If you are 17, then you have been driving for no more than 2 years. That IS a lack of experience and you're being naive not accepting it. I was a teen once. I know what it is like to firmly believe you are always right even in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

Statistics are stupid, and ruin it for the rest of us.
Statistics are nothing more than the truth. Old people and teenagers are the worst drivers. We are not making that up. In fact, if anyone is responsible for that statistic, it is teenagers and old people.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:17 AM
gidiup

Originally Posted by QuasiMoFo
chillin in the bank
Another kid trying to make it seem they have more money than they do. Always having the bigger better deal.

Proof?

You still living with the folks?
Old 05-06-2011, 12:32 PM
370zforme

Whoops - double post

Last edited by 370zforme; 05-06-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:33 PM
370zforme

I think that responsibility plays a major role in this debate. Not the kind of responsibility where a kid's parents just talk about how good and responsible he is but true responsibility which in my opinion is behaving the way your parents think that you do when they aren't around. It seems to me that peer pressure plays a pretty big role as well. My friends always try to get me to race and do burnouts, drifts, launches, etc. but I know the value of what I have and would die inside if something ever happened to my car due to my stupidity. It seems like most teens now easily fall victim to peer pressure and with movies like Tokyo Drift that they can buy a Z (or whatever car) and start driving like a professional because of how easy the stunts appear to be. If I had a kid that wanted a sports car like a Z, I would make he/she prove to me that he was ready to handle the major responsibility that comes with driving a car - especially a sports car. If he/she got into any accident within the first few years of driving and it wasn't crystal clear that it wasn't their fault I would take their keys. This is just my thoughts on this.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:51 PM
Bloody Arro

I'm 19 and looking for a Z when I get this job at a dealership.

Not asking anything from my parent other than a co-signer so I don't need a $6k down payment.
Not gonna lie, I've been in a few wrecks, but only one was my fault. I've mellowed down a lot since I have began driving due to the fact that I have been extremely lucky as not to die in 2 of my wrecks and I have a scar all down my left arm and hand from rolling in a ditch and hitting a electricity pole and caving in the driver side as a reminder to not be stupid.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:25 PM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Originally Posted by dizenman
Haha, i can guarantee when you did that you were a better driver than i was when i had that accident. that was over 3 years ago though, ive learned a lot since then.
I've been driving now for 21 years. I've taken my Z to the track once. Spent all day there. Did quite a few autocross runs that day. I can truly say it made me a better driver. Pushing your vehicle to the limits, again and again, learning how to control it better and not freaking out was a very valuable driving lesson...
Old 05-06-2011, 02:34 PM
1GR8350Z

Originally Posted by Bloody Arro
I'm 19 and looking for a Z when I get this job at a dealership.

Not asking anything from my parent other than a co-signer so I don't need a $6k down payment.
Not gonna lie, I've been in a few wrecks, but only one was my fault. I've mellowed down a lot since I have began driving due to the fact that I have been extremely lucky as not to die in 2 of my wrecks and I have a scar all down my left arm and hand from rolling in a ditch and hitting a electricity pole and caving in the driver side as a reminder to not be stupid.
If you were your parents there is no way I would co-sign. You have already proven to be irresponsible and accident prone. Co-signing is a much bigger commitment than you are making it out to be. If it were me you would be saving that 6k down payment
Old 05-06-2011, 04:01 PM
dizenman

Originally Posted by 1GR8350Z
Wow, another exception to the rule. Enlighten us on how you own a z at 17.
How is it that statistics are stupid. From where I'm standing it's the idiots that make up the statistics that are stupid.

Dizenman, I think it's time to hide the keys from the family. I can't possibly imagine allowing my family, especially my little brother take my car without permission.

I can see your point about better handling being an advantage in a sticky situation, but those situations are few and far between. Your speed limiter sounds gr8 and would stop a kid from drag racing or highways runs, but won't do a whole lot when it comes to seeing how fast your car will handle a sharp turn. I know that when I'm in my Accord that the thought of testing the limits doesn't even enter my mind.
I really should, but on the other hand it is my family. And my friend drives a honda accord. He routinely takes freeway interchange ramps at 80-90 if he can, and has hit 140 in it so far, so to each their own. But i do see your point, if a kid drives a z for the first time they are going to think theyre the **** and try to do the stuff they just saw in tokyo drift. I went and saw fast 5 the other night at the midnight premier, and after the show all kinds of kids in their toyota corollas and honda civics were trying to race me, because apparently they were all vin diesel and paul walker. I had my girlfriend with me so i didn't give in.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:03 PM
dizenman

Originally Posted by vo7848
I've been driving now for 21 years. I've taken my Z to the track once. Spent all day there. Did quite a few autocross runs that day. I can truly say it made me a better driver. Pushing your vehicle to the limits, again and again, learning how to control it better and not freaking out was a very valuable driving lesson...
I DEFINITELY agree with you on that. In fact im forcing my brother to do the next speed ventures autocross. I did my first one a few months back and it was a huge learning experience for me. I definitely learned what the car is capable of and how to control it a lot more. I think autocross events should be mandatory in getting a drivers license haha.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:55 PM
1GR8350Z

Originally Posted by dizenman
I really should, but on the other hand it is my family. And my friend drives a honda accord. He routinely takes freeway interchange ramps at 80-90 if he can, and has hit 140 in it so far, so to each their own. But i do see your point, if a kid drives a z for the first time they are going to think theyre the **** and try to do the stuff they just saw in tokyo drift. I went and saw fast 5 the other night at the midnight premier, and after the show all kinds of kids in their toyota corollas and honda civics were trying to race me, because apparently they were all vin diesel and paul walker. I had my girlfriend with me so i didn't give in.
Imagine how stupid he would be in a sports car. I hope you don't allow him to drive your Z. I drove the Accord to go see it just for that very reason. I saw the same scene outside after the movie. Some of the punks recognized me and asked me to go get my Z and of course I declined.

Last edited by 1GR8350Z; 05-06-2011 at 04:56 PM.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:36 PM
1GR8350Z

Answered in bold.
How did you get the business started. I imagine CNC equipment isn't cheap. As crazy as it may sound I'm actually buying your story. I'm just curious how you were able to get it all started.

Next question. Why would you sell a profitable business just to own a 350Z?

Last edited by 1GR8350Z; 05-06-2011 at 05:39 PM.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:13 PM
dizenman

Imagine how stupid he would be in a sports car. I hope you don't allow him to drive your Z. I drove the Accord to go see it just for that very reason. I saw the same scene outside after the movie. Some of the punks recognized me and asked me to go get my Z and of course I declined.
I don't allow anybody to drive my car anymore without me there, or knowing exactly where theyre going. before it was just family, but im very hesitant for them to as well. A lot of these same kids that tried racing me, declined when i was trying to get them to go to an autocross. seems theyre street badasses.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:21 PM
jduet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Next question. Why would you sell a profitable business just to own a 350Z?
+1

Owning your own business= Smart

Selling that business for a depreciating asset= Dumbest thing evar
Old 05-06-2011, 08:51 PM
Bloody Arro

If you were your parents there is no way I would co-sign. You have already proven to be irresponsible and accident prone. Co-signing is a much bigger commitment than you are making it out to be. If it were me you would be saving that 6k down payment
My one wreck that was "my fault" was me avoiding a drunkard staggering down the road at night and to avoid a manslaughter charge I swerved and went into a ditch.

I personally do not see that as being as irresponsible. I do realize that co-signing is a big deal as if I do not pay the bill, not only myself, but the co-signer will be affected as well. The only reason my parent is agreeing to co-signing is because they have went on a limb for me and bought my BMW (worth 8k at the time) and I paid them back with no late payments and no problems.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:27 PM
Tag009

Hmmm I drove a 99 Toyota Tacoma for two years, and two months ago bought my second car, a 08 350z

I'm only 19 but I paid for everything myself. I pay for gas, insurance, car payment, etc....I even pay for my school so my parents co signed....

I am not a crazy driver, especially going from a truck to a tiny car with huge blind spots!
Old 05-07-2011, 12:12 AM
TittieZ

Answered in bold.
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard is that a 17 year old owned a company that 'CNC'd aluminum trucks.' Tell us more, but I warn you that I'm actually a CNC Machinist, so your BS won't fly
Old 05-07-2011, 03:15 AM
1GR8350Z

I hate bringing my personal life into this thread. But due to the fact I went from riches to rags made me believe I have to hold myself to some standard, I guess it's narcissistic of me; but when I come from a family that owns Bentleys and Rolls Royces I strive to hit some sort of acceptable means for myself even without my parents handing me money. My mother told me we were going broke, she told me a couple years ago that I wouldn't be able to get a car because we were in a situation were we couldn't spend exessive money. Instead of sitting on my *** and accepting it, I called up some of my old friends and asked for their fathers to assist me in an idea where I could potentially earn them money, meanwhile would earn me enough for the goal I set up to achieve.

I had a basic design for longboard (skateboard) trucks, after spending years learning how trucks and putting them to use I came up with my own design. I got in touch with a man after awhile of searching who was a worker for a large CnC industry in Israel. (I believe in the 8th degree of separation) I managed to get him, to get the attention of the boss; and I managed to set up a deal with him which would allow them to mass produce my product. From there on, it was calculating the most effective way I could get my product where it needed to be, and how to reach out to the masses- and it spread like the plague.

Yeah it was probably dumb to sell my company for just that; but my whole purpose was for that, and it's not the end of the road for me. More business experience for me, I can try again with higher stakes sometime along the line equipped with more knowledge, so I don't regret anything =]
How did the guy from Nersh get started. I searched and couldn't find the story.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:39 AM
NyCSnEaK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

**** just got live again .

Quick Reply: This pertains to the "17 year olds getting Z's" debate...