Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

rock/paint chip on my z..

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2002 | 10:42 AM
350zfreak

Dude,

Just go to your Nissan dealership and shell out $4.00 on a little thing of touch up paint. It wont be perfect but only you will really know its there. We all are going to end up with some chips/dings and factory touch up paint is the most cost effective fix. Good luck and sorry about your chip.

Later
Old 09-07-2002 | 11:43 AM
Them Bones

Originally posted by VaGentleman

So..no one has anything to say about this??
A chip is not a crack. Most windshields usually end up with hundreds of small pits from crap flying off of people's tires.

A crack that travels some distance across the windshield means it's time to replace the windshield. Good repair shops can fill even fairly large rock chips so they're barely noticeable. The epoxy they use keeps the damage from spreading too.

Feel better now?
Old 09-07-2002 | 11:51 AM
Them Bones

Originally posted by PistolPete

I am concerned about the apparant cheap-*** paint which seems to be going on these cars. Mine is due in a couple weeks, and I will be pretty hot if the paint chips at the drop of a hat.
The rock had enough force after it hit the paint to chip the windshield! I don't think a chip could have been avoided with ANY paint job. A rock hitting a hard surface at 70-80MPH is probably going to cause a chip; there's no way around it except to cover the areas most likely to get damaged (not the windshield )

One thing I have noticed on several of my cars is that the hood accumulates chips much faster than the front bumper cover. I believe there's an additive that's required to make the paint more flexible when painting vinyl. If you've ever had the front of your car repainted by a low quality body shop that doesn't properly mix the paint, maybe you've noticed that it chips much faster than the factory job.

-TB