Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Would you purchase a G35 or a 350z?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2003, 07:02 PM
MikeNT256

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you purchase a G35 or a 350z?

Seems as if theres alot of issues with the Z. I haven't heard anything bad about the G35 (maybe its cause I haven't found a forum so I haven't been able to read up on the dirt). I can get a G35 for much cheaper than the Z Track. Its going to be more practical, slightly slower, but probably more my style. But I can't help falling in love with the PPW Z. Any advice or opinions?
Old 11-19-2003, 07:22 PM
damen

get whatever you like. i have the G35 coupe but that's because i like the sunroof opt., along with the brembos on a 6MT. i like the lines of the Z but, i like the bulldog look of the G35 on 20's. both are great cars. you can't go wrong with either, just know that parts for the G35 are alittle behind of the Z. such as superchargers and turbos because of piping and fitting issues, but we are getting them as well.
Old 11-19-2003, 07:23 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which ever floats your boat.
Old 11-19-2003, 07:29 PM
350ZOWNZ

if u can get a G35Coupe 6Speed for much cheaper than a track than go for it... Its definatly a better value IMO...

Around here the infiniti dealerships are charging 4k over MSRP. And they wont budge because theres like only 3 infiniti dealerships in my state..

I like the Z looks better and just the other day i sat in the G35Coupe. Man i hated the driver seat. IMO 350Z has better seats.... The rear seats are useless to anyone taller than 5"10..

Also the interior quality of the G35Coupe was better. But i like the 350Z sporty look better

I didnt get the test drive the infiniti but i hear it has a smoother ride....

Other than that from what ive seen performance difference is very small... If u plan on buying early next year tho I hear the 350Z is getting a new suspension for late 2004 models.. Supposely a smoother ride and just as good if not better handeling..

As far as issues I bet they basically have the same issues. Ive read a few forums and the G35Coupe does have tire feathering. Its just the G35Coupe comes with better stock tires and they dont wear as fast

Test drive them both and then make your decision...
Old 11-19-2003, 07:31 PM
Dissolved

I like G35 coupes. The z will turn a lot more heads and personally I feel it looks a lot better. But the G is also a very sexy looking car. I think it has the Z beat with the interior quality too. The new Zs do have a lot of issues.....careful careful. You've already said the G was more of your style. So go for it
Old 11-19-2003, 08:13 PM
Canadian350Z

Tough decision. Get both!!!
Old 11-19-2003, 08:18 PM
MikeNT256

Canadian. You have both, what do you suggest? I have rode in a G35 Sedan. I loved every second of it. It just glided across the pavement and was quick as hell doing so! The Z, felt bouncy, a little more like a sports car. I'm trying to keep Practicality in view here as well. Am I going to be practical having a 350z at 19 years old? No back seat (I hardly use mine ever), the tiny windows and no sunroof makes me feel slightly claustophobic (sp?). I guess i'll just have to test drive it. The entire Transmission/Tire Feathering/Suspension issues kinda scare me away from the Z. I know the Grand Am's have issues, but i'm not having that many right now to want to sell what i have and get a more expensive pain in the neck.
Old 11-19-2003, 09:05 PM
themyst

Being a long-time 350z owner, and NOW a g35 coupe 6spd owner, let me tell you who would like what car:

Buy the 350Z if:
-You NEVER drive anyone but yourself and a date at most.
-You want to attract more attention (definitely an eccentric looking car in comparison to the G)
-You want to modify your car (The Z has more available mods)
-You have no need for cargo space. (That hatch area sucks)

Buy the G35 coupe if:
-You want a sunroof.
-You will haul a few passengers for short trips
-It is a daily driver.
-You want GOOD service and loaner cars.

I lived with the 350Z as a daily driver for well over a year, and it was absolute hell to deal with. Sure, when I get on an open road on the weekends, the Z was a blast to drive, but the G can be just as fun. I got utterly frustrated with the stiff suspension and pisspoor Nissan service. Evidently, the 2004 Z's have fixed many of the major problems the 03 preorder guys (myself being one of them) experienced... but not many of them have put on the requisite 4000-5000 miles in which people started noticing problems. The best analogy in terms of the appearance comparison between a G35C and 350Z is that... a G35C resembles the hot MILF down the block, and the 350Z resembles that of a high school cheerleader. Both cars have their own quirks. If you want to compare stock performance, they are VERY similar. Unless you plan on drag racing or whatnot, the difference in performance will be negligible. Also, the G35 has a few minor issues based on the 03 complaints... clicking drivers seat, door rattles, and a few 3rd gear grind issues, but virtually all of them have been rectified in the 04 models. Even after 170 miles, I love my G35 more so than the Z, which i've driven for over a year and 22000 miles. This is my take on the comparison between the two cars... having owned both of them... but the only opinion that matters... is yours. Either the Z or G will be a joy to drive on an opening winding road, I just wanted to point out certain aspects of both cars that are worth mentioning.
Old 11-19-2003, 09:38 PM
notlownf

I have a G35 coupe 6mt and the only advice I can give you is to drive both and look at the different features of both (like heated seats and sunroof).

I would also take into consideration that the Infiniti has a longer warranty and Infiniti service is much better than Nissan service.

I'm not sure what your lifestyle is but I'm married and this is my daily driver. I put alot of miles on my car so the 60,000 mile warranty was the key.

If I were single I would have bought the Z and then bought a used beater for the occasion when I needed extra space.

It just boils down to personal preference. Both cars are badass.
Old 11-19-2003, 11:27 PM
EnthusiastZ

Originally posted by Canadian350Z
Tough decision. Get both!!!
I agree whole heartedly
Old 11-19-2003, 11:35 PM
EL Diablo

2 different cars. have a few things in common but one is a sports car and one is not. it's that simple.
Old 11-19-2003, 11:41 PM
samw1978

I only want performance, I don't care much about comfort, so Z!
Old 11-20-2003, 12:35 AM
ragtopz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can check out the g35 forum to see what if any types of problems that car has. also, you can ask them the same question.

http://g35driver.com/home/

for me, after test driving both, i fell in love with the z.

test drive both to help make your decision easier.
Old 11-20-2003, 12:44 AM
notlownf

Originally posted by EL Diablo
2 different cars. have a few things in common but one is a sports car and one is not. it's that simple.

So the G35 isn't a sports car?

2 door 280hp rear wheel drive 6spd. if it's not a sports car then what is it?
Old 11-20-2003, 05:22 AM
328skidpad

Default sporty car

I was almost going to buy a g but then I realized i could always use my wifes honda odssey. My previous cars were all bmw 3 series and they were "sporty" cars like the g.
I felt very claustrophibic when I drove the z no sunroof, high doors (I'm 5'10)

What sold me? the fact that the g and bmw all felt like they had a tail while I feel like I am exactly in the middle of my car when driving my z.

I am married two children under 2 yrs old and I love taking them for rides in my z. nothing like sitting next to your daughter as opposed to seeing them in the rear view mirror.
think about it...

conclusion, the g is a great value but if you want a true sports car the z is the only way to go..
Old 11-20-2003, 05:32 AM
328skidpad

Default rgd sporty psyche

I would also like to add that all my 3 series bmws were modified to the max and I was pulling 5.8-6.4 0-60 times but I was not inclined to drive fast because the interior was very luxurious and was more proud to be driving a nice sporty family sedan.

e.g--even if you put a 600hp motor in a cadillac are you going to want to drive the car like a ferrari with 600 hp. I dont think so.

this is why I laugh when people try to compare the bmw 330 to the z...
Old 11-20-2003, 06:34 AM
MikeNT256

Originally posted by themyst
Being a long-time 350z owner, and NOW a g35 coupe 6spd owner, let me tell you who would like what car:

Buy the 350Z if:
-You NEVER drive anyone but yourself and a date at most.
-You want to attract more attention (definitely an eccentric looking car in comparison to the G)
-You want to modify your car (The Z has more available mods)
-You have no need for cargo space. (That hatch area sucks)

Buy the G35 coupe if:
-You want a sunroof.
-You will haul a few passengers for short trips
-It is a daily driver.
-You want GOOD service and loaner cars.
That is a very good way of putting it then. I've dragged my Grand Am, I was never TOO into it. I've dynoed it, threw some performance mods, and I've always wanted more power out of it, but i've never gotten SO into it and cared really about 1/4 mile times. So getting more and more performance out of the car wouldn't really be TOO much of a concern going from a 202hp FWD Grand Am to a 280hp RWD G or Z. I think i'll be more than happy with that and very pleased. I'm 19 years old, and I do daily drive to work and meetings. I work for Nextel, so I will be traveling, but not excessively, maybe just to different business and locations around the area. I already have my winter beater (94 Grand Am, my first car) being fixed so I can park my Grand Am. Ever since i've owned a car with a sunroof though, the Z makes me feel a tad claustophobic..I'm 5'9" just like 328skidpad. The Z is just so..gorgeous. But my worry is I don't wanna get this beautiful car then have to end up selling it cause its not practical at my day in age. We'll see..I am just going to have to test drive both and see what I want. If I get the G35, I don't know if i'll get the stick. The Z just makes me wanna drive a stick, with how aggressive it looks and the power under its belt. The G would make me wanna drive in Auto stick lol.

I have a few pet peeves that make me wanna get Import one way or another. Our engines have tendicies to blow lower intake gaskets, leak coolant, our transmissions can only handle up to 300hp, the brakes warp (i'm lucky not to have mine warp yet). Theres so many issues, plus i've got alot of miles in one year on that thing (20,900). Sooner or later, the warranty will give out and i'm going to have to pay out of my own pocket. I'd rather pay for something thats worth it, or have it covered. 3 years/36000 miles is nothing. I don't know, I just hope Nissan/Infiniti's quality service and product is less trouble than my Grand Am. It hasn't been a huge hassel to me, but I can see the day coming where all hell will break lose on this car.
Old 11-20-2003, 07:25 AM
qirex

Tuff choice...but for me...there's no choice Z it is.

The G is a great car, but after driving them both...they're truly two diff cars. The only reason there's any confusion is the whole infiniti branding thing.

In japan, the skyline and the fairlady are sold next to each other - its clear which one the the luxury coupe is and which one is the sports car.

They both look great - its up to you which you think looks better. IMO however, the G kinda looks like another car - while the Z is all Z. There's no doubt about what it is. You're 19...live a little! I'm 31 years old, married for seven years and I'm a doctor. I guess I fall into the G demographic more, but hell...One test drive in the Z was all it took to convince me.

Maybe its b/c I always fantasized over owning a Z, 240, 260, 300mk1, 300mkii...I always loved the looks of the Z and its image.

The G while nice...is a sports coupe.

In terms of practicality....***eddaboutit. The hatch is big enough...anything that is really big - prolly couldnt fit into a G trunk either. I brought a 20" TV home with me in the Z....in the pass seat. If you had a G where would it go?? yep same place - except mebbe it *wouldnt* fit as the front seats are further forward.

Get a girlfriend or friend with truck if you really need it. I bought an FX35/tech thinking it would balance out the *practicality* issues. I love my Z so much however, that I simply strap my surfboard to the Zs roof and go surfing with that - ratrher than the G.

Get the Z...or G...or Z..just get something.
Old 11-20-2003, 08:22 AM
Altihaulic

MikeNT256 i was to in the same boat that you are in. I am 19 and i wanted a good car so i went and checked out the Z, i liked it alot, but then i went and test drove the g35, and i liked it alot better, and then drove the sedan and realized it is a more prctical car to me, and also 4k cheaper than the coupe, so i went with a 04 g35 sedan 6mt Dg/Graphite, and i love every minute of it. I got a car that is just as fast as the z, and more practical because its a daily driver, and plus i can haul my friends around. Also were i live, you see alot of Z's on the road (3 of my bosses have them, and there everywhere) and i wanted something diffrent, so i bought the G. No offense guys but i have showed a couple of women the Z on the lot and they thought it was ugly. But they love the G. I duno what you should do, but get what you like the best
Old 11-20-2003, 09:27 AM
Dissident

Originally posted by Altihaulic
No offense guys but i have showed a couple of women the Z on the lot and they thought it was ugly. But they love the G. I duno what you should do, but get what you like the best
Funny, I've seen the opposite, and I obviously (duh, this is a z board and not a g35 board...) feel the same. I actually liked the g35 more at first, mostly cause of the LEDs, and the usefuleness of a back seat (tho I wouldn't carry any more htan my dog back there), but the interoir bores me, and the car feels less sporty by a bit, be it well deserved or not.

Two guys here have g35s, and none of the girls I talk to are the least bit impressed, but they both love the Z. Of course, that might have to do with the drivers as much as the cars.

The Z is my daily driver, and it's my 4th and favorite car so far. I LOVe having a 2 seater and only taking one other person with me if I want to drive, and having an excuse not to drive whenever I want. People talk about not being able to take more than one person with you, but, uh... If you have 2 or more friends that wanna go out, and none of them have a car, then they can stay at home and save up to buy their own damn car. I think the car is comfortable without being too soft, but still feels like a sports car, and I think the cargo space is great for a SPORT CAR.

And, you guys really shouldn't compare a first year Z to a later year G35. Yeah, it sucks to have problems, but you have to expect that and deal with it if you were in such a hurry to be the first on the block to get a brand new car....

Quick Reply: Would you purchase a G35 or a 350z?