2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350Z or s2000?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2003, 12:24 AM
Ron_Vancouver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350Z or s2000?

Hey,
I`m doing a little research. In the spring, I will be buying a new car. It`s come down to an 04 350Z, or an 04 s2000.
I don`t think I need to ask anyone here what is the better car.
I find it quite humorous that there is a guy that repeatedly come to the S2000.com website talking crap all the time about how he beats s2000`s all the time in his 350z, and talks a lot of B.S. He should find out the difference between BHP (Brake horse power, and "at the wheels horse power" He claims his car is stock, but puts out 287 HP "at the wheels" I had to laugh.
Talks like he`s some kind of gangster rapper too :-) This is apparently his home website too :-)
I hope not all 350 owners are like this guy, it just makes the S2000 look more attractive :-)
I like the burnt orange for the 350, but think it may look dated in a few years, Kind of like how in the mid 90`s, teal was the big color for cars.
I`m a new member, and here to do some research.
The 350 is a beautiful car, and here in Vancouver, Canada, a new 350 is $3000 cheaper than a new S2000. $47000 as opposed to $50000.
Anyway, there are some beautiful looking cars in the gallery.
I have a tough decision to make :-)
Ron ;-)
Old 11-30-2003, 07:50 AM
Sosa

If you want the Z roadster, go S2k. The new s2k runs 13.8 and has more torque than the previous s2000. Also, temple of vtec's s2k dyno'd at 242... to the WHEELS. If you want a coupe, go 350. If you want a hotter designed car, go 350z.
Old 11-30-2003, 08:00 AM
PhoenixINX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You want a droptop, get an S2000.

You want something practical, get a Z.

If you like the feeling of a motorcycle, winding your RPMs out... get an S2000.

If you like the INSTANT surge of a large displacement motor... get a Z.

If you have any more questions, just ask!
Old 11-30-2003, 08:07 AM
zurn

Welcome Ron. I am comparatively new here too, although I’ve been spending a lot of time here lately.

I am also in the “still shopping” stage, but I haven’t been able to find anything else to preferable to the Z. The s2000 is a bit too small, the RX8 is just too new and too weird, most of the other cars in this class are either too cheap or way too expensive. The only other car I might consider at this point is a supercharged Crossfire, but that’s probably going to be going for way more than it is worth as well.

I’m not in any hurry. Current ride (PT Cruiser) is satisfactory, if a bit slow, and I just dumped a bunch of money into a Roth IRA and some other investments, so I want to wait a couple of months to let things settle a bit. Maybe get a feel for what the 05’s are going to be like.

Sorry about the bad impression from the 350z visitor to the other forum. There seems to be a pretty good mix of characters here. A fair number of youngsters, one or two hot heads, but no trolls (thankfully). There are also more geezers here than what you would find at the Sti or WRX forums. And there seem to be a fair number of pilots here too, which kind of makes sense in a way.

Overall it seems to be a sensible, fair-minded group, mostly male, prone to debating technical issues. There are, of course, a few who think that hip-hop is everything and the rest of us better get on board or retire to the Crypt, but at least here they’ve agreed to drive around, rather than over our bodies on their way to the great thug mansion in the sky.

Welcome again. You’ll find answers to all of your questions just by browsing.
Old 11-30-2003, 09:20 AM
EnthuZiast
Guess whose back, back again...

S2K is VERY fun to drive but overall very small and the ladies don't give it ANY love.
Old 11-30-2003, 09:31 AM
Paul_BB_Guy

Wecome aboard Ron. It's nice to see yet another Canadian on here.
Despite what steamedrice said, I recommend a 350 Roadster over an S2000 but it's a hard choice to make.
Since I've always been a GM guy up to now, the bigger displacement is always appealing. The other thing that discouraged me from an S2000 is that you have to wind it out before you start seeing power (apparently this is fixed in the 2004).

In the end, I liked the look of the 350 better than the RX8 or the S2000 and that's ultimately what I based my purchase decision on.

Good luck!
Old 11-30-2003, 09:40 AM
Nelson

Hi Ron,
Im in Richmond..i will say go for the Z.
for the reasons:

there ar too many s2k in the lower mainland,

if you buy the car for racing only, get the new STI or EVO VIII.

I owned both s2k and Z in my life and i believes things must be upgraded, it's pointless for me to buy a new car which the model has existed for 4 years. vtec is awesome, im still loving it but beside this engine, Z beats the s2k. The only thing I dont like in my Z is the cheap plastic looking interior...
anyways, choose the one you like^^
Old 11-30-2003, 09:48 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only rule in buying a sports car: Whatever floats your boat.

I don't understand why you would let someone else's behavior influence your decision, though. That would mean your transfering control from you to him.
Old 11-30-2003, 10:25 AM
Ron_Vancouver

Thanks everyone.
Part of the appeal for me of the Z and the S2000 for me is that they are "real sportcars" being 2 seaters. The WRX and the new EVO are OK, but I`m not really into this new trend that seems to have started of the "four door sportscar" If I was going to to that, I`d probably buy the new foue seat Maxima SE. 265 horse! :-)
I saw a EVO at the import car show bone stock, from langley Mitsubishi, they want $64000 CDN for it! I think a bit of price gouging just because they are new and not many around.
Plus there is nothing sexy about a four door, no matter how fast it is :-)
A bit of an omen, they are in the process of building a nissan dealership about 5 min from were I live :-) they just hoisted up the big "nissan" sign onto the side of the building :-)

Thanks again,
Ron
Old 11-30-2003, 10:26 AM
acmw

Z
Old 11-30-2003, 10:55 AM
EnthuZiast

I agree about the four seats......I love 2 seaters too.....but there is no comparison between the STI EVO and Maxima. The STI and EVO are PERFORMANCE MACHINES and the Max is a performance sedan. They would leave it in the dust on the track and in the straights.

Aside from that....I think the Z is more of a total package than any of those cars. If you add price...performance...looks together then it is hard for anything to compete.
Old 11-30-2003, 11:00 AM
EnthuZiast

I saw a EVO at the import car show bone stock, from langley Mitsubishi, they want $64000 CDN for it! I think a bit of price gouging just because they are new and not many around.
I think you are mistaken here.
I can honestly say that for what the EVO can do that it is one of the biggest bang for the buck performance cars EVER made. You can get it for less than 30K and put almost nothing into it and it will beat Lambos and Ferraris in a straight and spank most Porsches at the track.

I just wish it wasn't SO UGLY!
Old 11-30-2003, 12:09 PM
Ron_Vancouver

In U.S. dollars it may be around 30K, but up here in Canada they wanted 64K, I swear, I had to look at the price a few times, I was thinking "that can`t be right!" I phoned a couple Mitsu dealerships, and they said when they are more available in Canada later in 2004, they will be around 48000 Canadian, which is roughly 30000 American. You`re right as far as "bang for buck" performance, but it`s not the sex machine the 350 is.
And isn`t that half the reason for buying a real sportscar? :-)

Cheers,
Ron
Old 11-30-2003, 01:15 PM
Enron Exec

The S2000 is a highly tuned car as it is. You wont be able to improove on it w/o breaking the bank. The 350Z is a well tuned car but it gives the aftermarket a bit more room to play with.
Old 11-30-2003, 01:22 PM
willpower

Hey Ron
Im not gonna persuade you one way or another...In one hand you have the s2000 go cart, in the other you have the Z beast.

NUFF SAID

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZyalater
Old 11-30-2003, 02:20 PM
mpfstew

Default Re: 350Z or s2000?

Originally posted by Ron_Vancouver
Hey,
I`m doing a little research. In the spring, I will be buying a new car. It`s come down to an 04 350Z, or an 04 s2000.
I don`t think I need to ask anyone here what is the better car.
I find it quite humorous that there is a guy that repeatedly come to the S2000.com website talking crap all the time about how he beats s2000`s all the time in his 350z, and talks a lot of B.S. He should find out the difference between BHP (Brake horse power, and "at the wheels horse power" He claims his car is stock, but puts out 287 HP "at the wheels" I had to laugh.
Talks like he`s some kind of gangster rapper too :-) This is apparently his home website too :-)
I hope not all 350 owners are like this guy, it just makes the S2000 look more attractive :-)
I like the burnt orange for the 350, but think it may look dated in a few years, Kind of like how in the mid 90`s, teal was the big color for cars.
I`m a new member, and here to do some research.
The 350 is a beautiful car, and here in Vancouver, Canada, a new 350 is $3000 cheaper than a new S2000. $47000 as opposed to $50000.
Anyway, there are some beautiful looking cars in the gallery.
I have a tough decision to make :-)
Ron ;-)
Hi Ron. For me the decision was simple. I drove many different cars, S2000, 350Z, WRX, Mustang SVT, Corvette, etc. In the end I went with the car that "talked" to me, and that was a bright, shinny '03 Redline Track 350Z. There are alot of great cars out there, Evo, Sti, and the ones mentioned above. The S2000 is a great car that is well suited to different types of drivers.

What I can tell you is that among the 350Z community you will find alot of geniune car enthusiasts that have alot of respect for all types of cars. Even if you end up getting the Honda you are still welcome here.

Good luck!
Old 11-30-2003, 03:39 PM
2Fishy4U

Ron,

the S2000 is not a go cart and the Z is not a beast. However, the previous writer had the cars seperated in the right direction. If you want a beast by the new Ford Mustang Cobra; the thing is intimidating. You can make a go cart. I hate to describe the S2000 as having a whiny engine, but that was my impression. Looks and heritage wise they don't compare.

Anyway, I went with the Z, for looks, performance, the history of the car, and ironically the engine. The reason I say ironically regarding the engine is obviously Honda has a great rep, but so does the Z engine.

I have had my Z for almost a year now and things especially like include the following.

1. The manuel transmission. so smooth and such short shifts.

2. The looks, which at first I didn't like being 56 and normally a American Car Buyer have generated so many compliments.

3. The goofy stuff, trunk lid release in the back, ditto on the glove box and those door handles. I have a performance model and didn't get the Navigational System so that also serves as a glove compartment.

4. The power exhibited in 3rd, 4th and 5th gear.

5. Handling and the VDC system. The thing rides like it is on rails. Quite different from the Mustang I previously owned.

6. All those little controls such as RPM's, Tire Pressure, MPG and a stopwatch. Plus the slip warning, etc.

My only wish is the car had a bit more range/speed in 1st and 2nd.

I love the car, more then any I have ever owned.
Old 11-30-2003, 06:38 PM
andycapp

If you live in Canada I can't beleive you would consider a convert. I live in North Carolina now and I could probably drop the top for 8 months (maybe for 2 months only mid-day), but it would seem like it wouldn't be as pratical (but you are the best judge of that, not me).

Anyway, IMO the Z is the better looking car today, but I have a feeling that the S2k is going to be a much better car 5-7 years from now; the Z might be too "trendy," only time will tell. I also tend to think the S2k will be more reliable, but the S2k is no normal Honda [Accord] in terms of reliability. My friend had his tranny replaced and his (along with most other S2k's, at least 2000 models) burned oil at about 1-2 quarts per 5000 miles depending on how hard you drove it. He noticed his VTEC stopped kicking in at 6k and it was because there wasn't enough oil pressure to kick the extra part of the cam.

Ultimately I chose the Z because I wanted a coupe. Too many friends of mine had their converts broken into. I am also a little too tall for the S2k. No matter how I tried to adjust the seat I couldn't make my legs and arms comfortable without having my head stick up ABOVE the top of the windshield by at least 1". The prospect of getting hit by a small rock or pebble at 60mph (~100km/h I guess...) didn't seem like fun. I'm only 6'3" but I have a pretty long torso and stubby arms (lucky me), so almost no roadsters are right for me.

Anyway you look at it, both are great cars. I've driven both and they are both a blast to drive. The only S2k I drove was my friends old '00 model (he now has an Evo VIII) and it was sweet. It was so lightweight you could flip the tail around without even trying yet you felt you were in complete control the whole time. On the other hand the brief drive of the Z showed it was quite a different beast. None of the turbo-lag like VTEC that the S2k had, just smooth all the way too the top.

I should be getting my Silverstone Track in the next month, so you know where I stand. I liked the fact the Z can hold 2 sets of golf clubs and I can probably squeeze my wakeboard into it too (although probably not at the same time). Those seem like funny reasons as I type them, but those are 2 things that are important to me. Picking out small things like that will help you make a tough decision between these 2 cars much easier. Good luck, but don't worry, you are going to get a great car either way you look at it.

Last edited by andycapp; 11-30-2003 at 06:41 PM.
Old 11-30-2003, 06:54 PM
yooda

When I was shopping for cars, my decision came down to either the Z or the S2k as well. I live in SoCal so a convertible makes some sense.

I took the S2k for a test drive and I loved it. Drive it like you hate it the dealer told me. I love how you have to REV the hell out of that motor, its fun. The car corners like its on rails. The convertible aspect of the car I liked, but I thought I might get tired of all that wind noise eventually. But as the S2k is a true sports car, I felt it was a bit spartan, interior and exterior.

But when I sat in the Z and the door closed, I was instantly impressed. The whole low slung cockpit like feel of the cabin. The hyper torquey motor. Driving it is a blast. I liked the fact that you were in a cabin and that you could hear the stereo (although bose sucks).

So I went with the Z.

If you want a convertible where you live, its going to be a cold wet experience I'd imagine. But if thats what you want, I'd definitely get the S2k.

However, if you want 2 door coupe, I'd take the Z. seems more practical for where you live.
Old 11-30-2003, 09:31 PM
iChiBahN
Banned

i dnot' get it how most of the people here who came down to the decision between a Z and S2k compared either having the convertable getting breaked into or like yooda said "i thoguht i mite get tired of all that wind noise eventually"

u guys do kno tha it comes with a HARDTOP? so it can become a coupe wiht the matter of just 15mins or less. so i dont' kno how that can be a factor?

Quick Reply: 350Z or s2000?