2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Why Bose stinks

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2002, 11:32 AM
barnicleboy
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why Bose stinks

For those who want to know why bose really stinks, and not by into media forcefed advertising read this:

http://liquidtheater.com/editorials/56
Old 09-06-2002, 02:48 PM
NissaNZ

I have a set of the Acoustimas-10 with an additional subwoofer and it sounds awesome. I don't care about charts and frequency response graphs, all I care about is that it sounds great and is a fraction of the size of other speakers. If you don't like it don't buy it, that's the bottom line, stop convincing others not to.
Old 09-06-2002, 03:24 PM
nizl

Great link

Here is one of the reasons Bose speakers suck. Bose basically throws away the idea that a speaker system should be accurate and instead goes for one that sounds "good". They tailored their speakers to increase the volume of their material around the 200hz range and the 4khz range. The rest of the frequencies dip way below 20 and even 40 decibel lower than the source you send it. Imagine a straight line that represents a 70db signal from 20hz to 20khz. A very very good speaker system would be very flat from the 20hz mark to the 20khz mark. Bose speakers on the other hand, start way below the 70db mark and peak up to maybe 80db at the 200hz mark. Then dip again until it hits around 4khz where it jumps up again, only to dive back down for the rest of the range.

What does this do? First, it completely changes the way the source material originally sounded. Instead of having a uniform sound across the frequency range, it jumps and dips all over the place. Unfortunately for the source material, but fortunately for Bose, these two frequency ranges are what the human ear can hear the best. So listeners think they are getting an amazingly accurate sound with deep bass and crystal clear midrange.
Old 09-06-2002, 03:30 PM
Zbart
Charter Member #95

Victor,

Which Martin Logans do you have?
Old 09-06-2002, 09:52 PM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bose SUCK next to my B&W 804s,

bose=huge marketing, crap speakers!!!!

seriously it is like a kid in the chevy Z24 talking about how great his car is.
Old 09-06-2002, 10:20 PM
roberto350z

Originally posted by NissaNZ
If you don't like it don't buy it, that's the bottom line, stop convincing others not to.

well. the article really just says to educate yourself first, then decide. You decided that you like them. Fine...but we hope that you checked the "other" stuff out too and THEN made te decision.
Old 09-06-2002, 10:31 PM
Boomer

Default Bose

I have a home theater w/ Bose Acoustimass 7, which is no longer offered. It consists of front speakers only, no surrounds. It has the module,and 3 of the small 2 speakers in one setup, the ones where they are on top of one another so you can aim them in whatever direction you choose. I bought it on special from American Express when they were doing one of their deals. They sounded pretty good in comparison with the 2 5" full range speakers in my direct view 36" TV. With a good rationale , I bought 2 Cambridge Soundworks dipole side-firing surround speakers. The combo sounded terrific with the surounds and a couple of years later, Bose came out with a new center channel speaker with 4 speakers, 2 firing front and 2 firing back. Improved the sound greatly and I was all set.

Ah, but when one is bitten by the unending quest for the perfect sound, there is no stopping now. I am a fan of hifi.com and they designed some new surrounds called the Newton series and they had 2 speakers I had to have, MC300 multipole surrounds. These speakers have 4 drivers, 2 side firing 2.5"ers and a 4" direct midbass with a 1' tweeter. These speakers can be switched from monopole to bi-pole to dipole by a switch on the bottom. I heard new sounds in older dvds I had never heard before, they are amazing.

Back to the point, I agree, the Bose speakers are adequate, but not spectacular like Deftech, B&W, Paradigm or Thiel, to name a few, but they don't detract from the home theater experience as reported by one reviewer from Sound & Vision. He said he couldn't give the Bose Home Theater 50 or whatever, high marks, but couldn't fault them on their simplicity and good, but not great sound and easy setup and operation. That, apparently, is why Bose continues to be original equipment in our cars and homes. My wife and I just finished watching BladeII and if you've seen the movie, you know how the soundtrack taxes a sound sysytem if you turn it up to movie levels. The Boses performed very well with 0 audible distortion at high levels, baffling. One aspect of my system is not just OK, the Cambridge Soundworks MC300s speakers are the best rear surrounds I have ever heard . You folks on the east and west coast should check them out. Meanwhile I will be preparing my next rationale for replacing the Bose speakers, although they sound great with my system, somehow with their specs, they shouldn't but they do.

Boomer--perplexed and if I am off thread, just ignore me. The wife and dog do when I'm babbling.
Old 09-06-2002, 11:15 PM
rodH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they do fine when comparing them to the stock speakers in TVs, BUT (and perhaps the BIGGEST fault) is that you pay a lot of $$ (relatively) for mediocre sound. Look at some packages the big box stores put together for 1-2K and it will BLOW away BOSE. If they just cost $300, I wold be fine with that, but people are getting RIPPED OFF!!!!!