Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

New 350Z. Couple quick questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 06:30 AM
CleanFairladyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New 350Z. Couple quick questions

Hey I just got my Z. I got it for a cheap price so I'm not focusing on mods but more of just getting it back to "clean." But anyway, I have a few quick questions that I thought I'd ask real owners about. (you)

1. There is a loud squeak from the brakes at times. What causes it? Can brembo brakes fix this? Do I have to change anything else on my Z to put on brembos?

2. I of course have multiple scratches on the inside and out. Nothing crazy just little ones. What should I use to get those out? Would sending it to a detailer be cheaper?

3. The car has 92,000 miles on it and still somehow has a clear bra on it from the original owner. You can tell its old because its dirty and slightly peeling. How can i take it off and should I put on a new one? How would i do that?

4. Down the road, I'd like to put in a R-tune cold air intake and R-tune headers and S-tune catback. Anybody know if these are as good as these sound?

Thanks
Old 05-25-2011, 06:32 AM
FATPUBUS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No
No
Dunno
Doubt it
Old 05-25-2011, 06:58 AM
trodis
350Z-holic

Welcome to this site. We have many sub-sections which you might be able to find answers to your questions. I am not sure you are going to get anything but flammed for this blast post.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:08 AM
CleanFairladyZ

Ok I moved it to new owners. Delete this thread i guess?
Old 05-25-2011, 07:14 AM
trodis
350Z-holic

Most of your questions can be answered in the 350z tech section of this site. Try using the search function within the designated area.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:56 AM
m3a5g0

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

as fun as it would be to flame, i'll hold back.....but c'mon man, it seems like you haven't even TRIED to figure this all out on your own.......
Old 05-25-2011, 08:13 AM
diablox1

i'm quoting myself from your other identical post in new owners:

Originally Posted by diablox1
for #3, you should be able to just peel it right off. you might want to put a new one on; that would depend on you and how worried you are about protecting your front end based on your driving habits and where you live. while it's off, make sure you fix any blemishes, scratches, chips, etc. that you deem worthy of fixing.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:27 AM
jerseystyle
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by CleanFairladyZ
Ok I moved it to new owners. Delete this thread i guess?
No, not there.

There is a tech section with many subforums for specific areas, like brakes, exhaust, intakes and exterior. Search there for all your answers!
Old 05-25-2011, 10:54 AM
pcressey

Originally Posted by CleanFairladyZ
4. Down the road, I'd like to put in a R-tune cold air intake and R-tune headers and S-tune catback. Anybody know if these are as good as these sound?
I will save you the searching... skip putting on headers.

"As good as these sound"... that is all you will be "gaining"... good sound; don't expect any noticeable gains.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:06 AM
jerseystyle
350Z-holic

^^^ Not 100% true. With the right supporting mods and a tune, headers can be a good mod.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:35 AM
pcressey

Originally Posted by jerseystyle
^^^ Not 100% true. With the right supporting mods and a tune, headers can be a good mod.
Headers have the lowest ROI of any mod you could possible do to the car. If you want to spend $2k+ to gain a few HP be my guest.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:11 PM
jerseystyle
350Z-holic

If you're just looking at max HP, maybe, but headers show improvements throughout the powerband when combined with supporting mods and a good tune.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:03 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome and congratulations.

Plenty of detailing suggestions in the detailing forum.

Clear bra can be removed with a heat gun.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:37 PM
archangele

1. There is a loud squeak from the brakes at times. What causes it? Can brembo brakes fix this? Do I have to change anything else on my Z to put on brembos?

Hi,
First thing is to actually check your brakes and rotors. I just picked up a 2004 350Z with 56K miles and the previous owner, or possibly the dealer, had replaced the tires and brakes on the car. They turned the original rotors and just installed stock Nissan pads. The rotors had already warped again (why do people turn rotors on a performance car? JUST REPLACE THEM!!!) and the pads were put on without applying the anti squeak stuff on the backs of the pads. I removed everything, replaced the pads and rotors and installed the pads with the proper anti squeak goop and voila! no more squeaking brakes. I used the exact same Nissan brake pads that were installed by the previous owner since they seemed to be of good quality. The car stops straight, quick, and without any squeaking, even when backing out of the garage and stopping.
As for scratches and stuff. There are compounds and polishes designed to work specifically with base coat clear coat finishes. But they are really only for taking out swirl marks and light scratches. Deep ones require a professional body / paint person. A detailer can not take out the deep scratches that go through the base coat. I have some on my Z and unless I want to repaint the car, I'll just have to live with them. Let's face it, you;re going to get the occasional ding and scrape if you plan to drive the car much at all. The joys of living in a world full of careless people who think parking a giant SUV within inches of your Z and ramming it's door into the side of yours is perfectly acceptable.
As for performance add ons, the first thing to do is get the car fully serviced and up to factory spec. No use adding performance goodies on a car that is tired. If your car has 100K miles on it, the condition depends on how it was driven. A car like this can be either pristine even with 100K+ miles on it, or a real tired vehicle if some boy racer pounded the crap out of it for all those miles. Most of the reputable after market companies will back up their power gain claims with actual chassis dyno tests. Be wary of any company which makes claims that are too good to be true. Unless you seriously want to tear into the engine, don't expect much more then about a 10 - 20 hp gain with simple add ons like a cold air intake and a cat back with garbage can sized tail pipes.