Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Learned how to drive stick...on a TEST DRIVE hehe

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 06:42 PM
synth19

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ah, the memories...... I wanted to sell my Z back the first week I had the car! haha... LOVE driving manual now!
Old 12-15-2003, 12:47 AM
wutafobb

I have been driving my z for only 2 weeks. Just like you, I didnt know how to drive it when i bought my z. But i manage to learn it all by myself cept very little tips from my friend. I can drive witout stalling now, but i cant say its perfectly smooth like auto cars. But one thing i find is just relax when you drive it. I get nervous at first on hills and i stall quiet a few times, or even rev a lil over and had my tires spin n took off. But after 2 weeks I find dat I drive better when i dont think about it. Well, i still stall once in a while in slow traffic, but hardly anymore.

but i got a question, everytime i shift up from 1 to 2, i notice the rpm rev up like 300 rpm when the clutch engage to 2. And thats when the car felt kinda unsmooth, its not very easy to notice but i could feel it. Is it becuz i let out the clutch too fast or not enough gas? cuz when i let clutch slower, i never notice the dat tiny jerk!
I m trying to shift my z like auto, den i will start leanring few tricks to shift fast, or maybe heel toe when racing. so guys any tips?
Old 12-15-2003, 04:38 AM
djkern
Banned

Originally posted by wutafobb
I have been driving my z for only 2 weeks. Just like you, I didnt know how to drive it when i bought my z. But i manage to learn it all by myself cept very little tips from my friend. I can drive witout stalling now, but i cant say its perfectly smooth like auto cars. But one thing i find is just relax when you drive it. I get nervous at first on hills and i stall quiet a few times, or even rev a lil over and had my tires spin n took off. But after 2 weeks I find dat I drive better when i dont think about it. Well, i still stall once in a while in slow traffic, but hardly anymore.

but i got a question, everytime i shift up from 1 to 2, i notice the rpm rev up like 300 rpm when the clutch engage to 2. And thats when the car felt kinda unsmooth, its not very easy to notice but i could feel it. Is it becuz i let out the clutch too fast or not enough gas? cuz when i let clutch slower, i never notice the dat tiny jerk!
I m trying to shift my z like auto, den i will start leanring few tricks to shift fast, or maybe heel toe when racing. so guys any tips?
can't you just type normal english?
Old 12-15-2003, 08:32 AM
cedusett

I learned on my girlfriends civic. It's funny because I already had my Z picked out when I was learning and the salesman kept trying to get me to test drive it but i kept refusing. I'm comfortable in my car now, and it's sheer joy!

Another funny part was getting into the Z the first time to drive it off the lot. Unfortunately, the civic isn't a 6 speed, so I was confused at first trying to get it into reverse, and finally just drove straight around the car in front of me to get out.

Later, I get home and me and a buddy are reading the manual trying to figure out how to do it. Obviously we finally figured it out, but you can't tell me that "push the selector lever button" was the most user friendly way of saying "push the gear shift down".

The point of this story, as always, I'm an idiot.
Old 12-19-2003, 12:53 PM
VQ35DES

I learned on an Audi A4. At the time, I was only 15 with a drving permit. First, I couldnt get it to move an inch - just kept stalling. My Dad who happen to justt come from work laughs at me.

After the 8th time, he tells me Im pathetic and even my half-retarded cousin could do better. So I said f*** it, smashed the gas, popped the clutch, tires squeeled, she stalls, and I learn how to do my first fwd burnout. Turns out, the E-brake was still on.

After perfecting 1st gear and smooth shifting, I got cocky and tried to power shift. After chirping 2nd gear, I mis-shifted into 5th (i think, cant really remember).

tranny came down, throw out bearings and syncros got replaced
Old 12-19-2003, 01:10 PM
SweatyPalm

Originally posted by VQ35DES
I learned on an Audi A4. At the time, I was only 15 with a drving permit. First, I couldnt get it to move an inch - just kept stalling. My Dad who happen to justt come from work laughs at me.

After the 8th time, he tells me Im pathetic and even my half-retarded cousin could do better. So I said f*** it, smashed the gas, popped the clutch, tires squeeled, she stalls, and I learn how to do my first fwd burnout. Turns out, the E-brake was still on.

After perfecting 1st gear and smooth shifting, I got cocky and tried to power shift. After chirping 2nd gear, I mis-shifted into 5th (i think, cant really remember).

tranny came down, throw out bearings and syncros got replaced
Wow....that sure taught your dad not to laugh at you. At the end, he's the one getting hurt.
Old 12-19-2003, 01:32 PM
Silverstone_350

It's nice to hear that I'm not the only one that picked up my Z off the dealership lot with absolutely no experience driving stick.

Talk about a big blow to your manhood - having EVERYBODY just watching you stall and stall, not being able to drive such a beautiful car....... hahaha
Old 01-25-2004, 09:03 PM
fuzion

^ add me to the list! tomorrow i might pick up my car (if the weather permits) and have NO experience driving stick at all.

this is going to be embarassing.

i can envision it now........i pull up to a redlight and theres a hottie next to me checkin out my whip. i look at her and smile. light turns green. car stalls. she looks over and laughs. hehe good times good times.........
Old 01-26-2004, 07:49 AM
CarbonZ

driving a stick is not rocket science, i got it after like 2 stalls from netral to first. But we do have somethign in common, i logged a pretty good amount of time behind the wheel on test drives also..
Old 01-26-2004, 07:50 AM
CarbonZ

Originally posted by fuzion
^ add me to the list! tomorrow i might pick up my car (if the weather permits) and have NO experience driving stick at all.

i can envision it now........i pull up to a redlight and theres a hottie next to me checkin out my whip. i look at her and smile. light turns green. car stalls. she looks over and laughs. hehe good times good times.........
hahahahah o **** i just read this. lol. i envsion some guy driving down the road in a brand *** new z jerkin all over the place and stalling like a ****
Old 01-26-2004, 08:42 AM
meeno

Originally posted by fuzion

Be sure to start a new thread about that..haha
Old 01-26-2004, 05:58 PM
zmann

This is pretty funny. Takes me back to when I learned to drive a stick...it was on a test drive as well...1977 Toyota Celica GT (when the Celica's were cool!). Loved driving a stick...but had to move on to family sedans. I have a lot of respect for you all that just jump right in there with the Z. I'll have to say, when I had my 6 speed roadster, I thought it was among the easiest of all manuals I ever drove. So, as far as I can tell you, you couldn't have picked a better stick to learn on! Enjoy!! srm
Old 01-26-2004, 07:48 PM
NISMO_GUY2003

Default Re: Learned how to drive stick...on a TEST DRIVE hehe

Originally posted by meeno
Well i'm going to be getting a 350z in 6spd form soon, and wanted to get a head start, since i have about 5 minutes of driving stick under my belt. So, I go to a Nissan dealer (still under construction, very slow, etc), and a young guy comes running towards me (I guess it was really slow or something), so he asks what I'm interested in.

I point to a yellow SE-R (couldve easily driven a Z but i wanted a crappy car that they didnt care about), and say I wanna test drive it. 2 Minutes later, i'm in the car with him next to me.

Me: Ok, lets see now...havent driven a stick in a while so i may be a little rough around the edges...

Him: ookkkaaaaay....

I proceed to shift into first, and I guess I let the clutch out too early, cuz the car jerked like crazy then stalled. damn

Him: Maybe its not a good idea for you to drive, let me show you.

I agreed and we switched seats. He proceeds to beat the hell out of the car by slapping the rev limiter repeatdly (this made me feel less guilty)

1 minute later I tell him to pull into a quiet side street so I can "try" . This time the car jerked but i didnt stall...i got it moving!! shifted into 2nd (awkwardly, but i did it none the less).

Man that was fun...gotta go to another dealer and try that again.

BTW: when it jerks really badly, it means I let the clutch out too early right? I revved to about 1000 and slowly released the clutch but it still jerked....do I rev to about 2500 and then release the clutch? I guess it differs on every car...

BTW this was a while ago, not in the snow hehe
I knew that there was a reason why I check the odometer on a car at a dealership before I buy it to make sure it doesn't have alot of "demo" miles like you put on the SE-R...
Old 01-26-2004, 08:39 PM
meeno

Default Re: Re: Learned how to drive stick...on a TEST DRIVE hehe

Originally posted by NISMO_GUY2003
I knew that there was a reason why I check the odometer on a car at a dealership before I buy it to make sure it doesn't have alot of "demo" miles like you put on the SE-R...
yeah I know what you mean

strangely though, the salesman did more damage than I did...he was recklessly slapping the revlimiter repeatedly and it only had like 20 miles
Old 02-06-2004, 09:52 AM
the7ferret

Yea I learned a LONG time ago when I was 16, ever since then I have had an auto and then my motorcycle. I know the basic principle but when I test drove a rx-8 haha, i think I could of used a refresher course before. After about 5 min thought I got the hang of it. Im too used to my motorcycle clutch becuase it is bathed in oil. So its really smooth and the rx-8 is very sticky.
Old 02-06-2004, 10:13 AM
MrNicholas

A long time ago a friend of mine was interested in buying a 3 series BMW (w/ a stick) but had no prior experience.

All he did was walk into the BMW dealership and say that he was interested in a buy a car, but didn't know how to drive a stick. He said that buying the car was dependant on him learning how to drive it.

The salesman literally jumped at the chance to make a sale via teaching. He took my friend to a big empty parking lot and spent about an hour showing him the ropes.

I would go into the dealership and just tell them the truth and ask if there was someone who could give you some pointers. More likely than not, they'll put you into some low-end stick and teach you from there.

I've learned that salemen will jump through quite a large number of hoops to get you behind a Z.

Just my $0.02.
Old 02-06-2004, 11:22 AM
meeno

Originally posted by MrNicholas
A long time ago a friend of mine was interested in buying a 3 series BMW (w/ a stick) but had no prior experience.

All he did was walk into the BMW dealership and say that he was interested in a buy a car, but didn't know how to drive a stick. He said that buying the car was dependant on him learning how to drive it.

The salesman literally jumped at the chance to make a sale via teaching. He took my friend to a big empty parking lot and spent about an hour showing him the ropes.

I would go into the dealership and just tell them the truth and ask if there was someone who could give you some pointers. More likely than not, they'll put you into some low-end stick and teach you from there.

I've learned that salemen will jump through quite a large number of hoops to get you behind a Z.

Just my $0.02.
This is by far the best advice...I will most likely do this when the weather gets better here

I can even go to a ford dealer or something

Not a bad plan
Old 02-06-2004, 10:54 PM
Psyc0

I had about a year behind the wheel of a car before i got my Z, the entire year was w/ a stick in my Porsche 944... the clutches are sooo much different though took me a while to get used to the power of the Z and the clutch... but once i got the hang of it... wow...