Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

difference between the fairlady and the 350?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2003, 07:38 AM
ViZion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question difference between the fairlady and the 350?

so other than the fairlady being a right side driver vehicle, what are the differences?

lord knows many of japans vehicles get dumbed down to meet US emissions and saftey standards, so i was curious what changes the fairlady went through before she made it to the states.

thanks all.

and merry christmas/happy holidays
Old 12-24-2003, 07:54 AM
want D Z

Let me add the first difference:
One comes with fairlady badge and the other comes with 350Z badge.
Old 12-24-2003, 08:29 AM
ViZion

hehe. well thanks! that's extremely helpful

i was wondering b/c my bf got a fairladyZ badge for me for christmas. i wanted to replace the 350 badge just to change it up a bit. subtle, but different.

the only thing is, i don't wanna advertise that i have something i don't. i can't stand the kids who put si badges on their 93 honda civic dx and think magically it's become an si.

i was thinking that if the only difference was the side of hte steering wheel, that's not so bad.

and i'm just curious to see the fairlady's numbers too
Old 12-24-2003, 08:41 AM
Hey Ya

Originally posted by ViZion
hehe. well thanks! that's extremely helpful

i was wondering b/c my bf got a fairladyZ badge for me for christmas. i wanted to replace the 350 badge just to change it up a bit. subtle, but different.

the only thing is, i don't wanna advertise that i have something i don't. i can't stand the kids who put si badges on their 93 honda civic dx and think magically it's become an si.

i was thinking that if the only difference was the side of hte steering wheel, that's not so bad.

and i'm just curious to see the fairlady's numbers too
Try a search for Fairlady History.

This thread has a link somewhere on it (Think it was Dr. Bonz):
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=32734

BTW, Are you at UT?
Old 12-24-2003, 09:21 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no, mechanical differences that I know of; same engine; same output. the V6 is very stable and is hardly pushing its limits so it could pass emmisions here and japan. suspension might be different to account for the different driving conditions here and there. but basicly its the same thing.
Old 12-24-2003, 09:57 AM
Beaker02

So then.......What's a Fairlady? Or better, what makes it a Fairlady?
Old 12-24-2003, 10:04 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its RHD and sold in japan. not positive if europe and austrailia get the fairlady badge or 350Z. just a long time coming; America prefers numbers for whatever reason; just like the IS300 is the altezza in japan. everything is going to numbers; lexus; mercedes; bmw, infiniti, mazda, audi. every one of them uses numbers.

american cars are the only ones not to yet; tho dodge is heading that way with the SRT-4, 6, 8, and 10. tho they still retain their base name to a point(I dont think neon is anywhere on the SRT4 tho)

its basicly a marketing scheme; and for whatever reasons, the numbers work better in the USA.
Old 12-24-2003, 01:42 PM
samw1978

Don't know if anyone noticed it, but on Best Motoring, the Z has the same hp and torque with the Skyline, which is our G35C here... 280hp...
And I remember reading on some magazines saying that our Z has more power than the JDM one...(not only the advertised hp, but the actual hp is higher)
I'm not sure about this... anyone has idea?
Old 12-24-2003, 03:22 PM
jj1814

Japanese gov't put limits on horsepower (from the factory) - 280hp

someone correct me if i am wrong
Old 12-24-2003, 03:29 PM
Reb1281

You are right. It's a self-imposed hp limit. Doesn't apply to the real world, though, as those cars almost always surpass 280 i.e. Skyline GT-R
Old 12-24-2003, 03:55 PM
ViZion

Originally posted by ShoveIt
Try a search for Fairlady History.

This thread has a link somewhere on it (Think it was Dr. Bonz):
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=32734

BTW, Are you at UT?
thanks
and yes, i go to ut.
Old 12-24-2003, 04:27 PM
cwerdna

Besides the steering wheel being on the other side, the trims I think I are totally different.

When I was in Japan, I also noticed no cruise control buttons on the Zs I looked at but what appeared to be radio controls and some other button. There's also a white marker light (reflector?) underneath the round Z logos on the sides. Also, they had a 1 DIN non-Bose radio available with pocket underneath it. The Bose radio I saw on another had the volume **** on the wrong side for a RHD car (left side, making it furthest from the driver).

My post at https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....099#post527099 shows the 1 DIN radio and the buttons. You can see the side light/reflector I'm talking about at http://www2.nissan.co.jp/Z/Z33/0310/EXTER/main1.html.

When I was in Nissan's Ginza "showroom", the guy mentioned that the orange light on the front next to the headlights blinks on the US version and doesn't on the Japanese version (might have it reversed, I'm 800 miles away from my Z).
Old 12-24-2003, 04:34 PM
Strife350z

Originally posted by ares
its RHD and sold in japan. not positive if europe and austrailia get the fairlady badge or 350Z. just a long time coming; America prefers numbers for whatever reason; just like the IS300 is the altezza in japan. everything is going to numbers; lexus; mercedes; bmw, infiniti, mazda, audi. every one of them uses numbers.

american cars are the only ones not to yet; tho dodge is heading that way with the SRT-4, 6, 8, and 10. tho they still retain their base name to a point(I dont think neon is anywhere on the SRT4 tho)

its basicly a marketing scheme; and for whatever reasons, the numbers work better in the USA.
Actually the reason they do this, is because the North American market tends to be more brand oriented than Japan. A study was conducted that showed North Americans have a higher propensity to buy an item (retail, car or even a house) based on the name of its manufacturer.

If you recall, Acura changed the names of their entire lineup in the early 90's in order to increase brand recognition. The Integra, Vigor and Legend as you recall was replaced by the RSX, 2.5/3.2 TL, and 3.5 RL. After this happened, people started to refer to Acura cars as "Acuras" since it was easier to remember than a "3.0 CL" for instance.

It's a pretty simple theory if you think about it, the more convoluted the car name is, the more attractive the company name becomes. E.G. i say "es300" and you're probably thinking Lexus (and even if that didn't come to mind, the first person you ask will say "yea i know that car, it's a Lexus").

This rule applies to the most car/manufacturers, with the exception of cars that have a heritage or cars that were purposefully designed for a specific market. For instance, I seriously doubt Toyota will ever change the name of the Supra to a SXR (or whatever) -> doing so would do more harm than good.
Old 12-25-2003, 08:00 AM
Hey Ya

Originally posted by ViZion
thanks
and yes, i go to ut.
Hook 'em!