Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Finally did it!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2004, 07:41 PM
alex30327

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Finally did it!

Don't get your hopes up to soon. I have not owned an STI, but presently have the regular WRX and the Z. The quality in the Z is much much better. Just wait till the 1st 15K miles, when everything in your interior falls out or breaks in your STI. It will be a fun car to drive, but will have many quality problems.

Originally posted by xtort
After the pulling to the right, squealing windows, rattling interior, crappy tires, fraying seats, and crappy paint I finally traded in my base Z for a BEAUTIFUL brand new Subaru WRX STI! This car is amazing and Nissan should step up to the challenge and go back to TURBOS! My payment is a wopping 10 dollars less but my insurance should go down now having side air bags, AWD, 4cyl (Turbo will probably offset that), 4 doors. Probably not much but should be cheaper. The Z was fun for a while but every day driving gets old. I'm not gonna bash the Z but it does have some obvious problems from the factory and hopefully the 2004s will have the bugs fixed. I recommend it to anyone to go test drive an STI. Take care everyone.
Old 01-04-2004, 10:32 PM
longbowe

C'mon guys, give the STi a break. I used to think it was butt, too, but I've seen a couple of STi's that might be described as Chrome Silver. Very nice looking, actually. I think it's the blue ones where the hood scoop makes it look so wrong.

I've driven the STi, but didn't take it to its max. It's a very fun car, and it's versatile. That's not a bad place to be.

It ain't perfect, but then, what car is?
Old 01-04-2004, 10:45 PM
failsafe
....for your health

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

xtort- sorry to hear about your problems with the Z. Congrats on the STI- I've driven my buddy's and think it's a great car. The only complaint I had was the lack of tunes. But that can be fixed pretty easily. Have fun with the new ride.
Old 01-04-2004, 10:49 PM
reelprod

Default Re: Finally did it!

After the pulling to the right, squealing windows, rattling interior, crappy tires, fraying seats, and crappy paint I finally traded in my base Z for a BEAUTIFUL brand new Subaru WRX STI! This car is amazing and Nissan should step up to the challenge and go back to TURBOS! My payment is a wopping 10 dollars less but my insurance should go down now having side air bags, AWD, 4cyl (Turbo will probably offset that), 4 doors. Probably not much but should be cheaper. The Z was fun for a while but every day driving gets old. I'm not gonna bash the Z but it does have some obvious problems from the factory and hopefully the 2004s will have the bugs fixed. I recommend it to anyone to go test drive an STI. Take care everyone.
What I dont understand is how you traded in your Z for a STI and now your payments are $10 less. You sure must have thrown a lot of cash down on top of your Z to get that STI. By the way I own a 2002 WRX and planning on getting a touring Z. My Insurance will go down almost $200 a year if I buy a 2004 Z. Go figure. I think to them AWD is a liability. Kind of like a 4x4 truck.
Old 01-04-2004, 11:13 PM
xtort

Default Re: Re: Finally did it!

Originally posted by alex30327
Don't get your hopes up to soon. I have not owned an STI, but presently have the regular WRX and the Z. The quality in the Z is much much better. Just wait till the 1st 15K miles, when everything in your interior falls out or breaks in your STI. It will be a fun car to drive, but will have many quality problems.
Ok so you've never owned an STi but yet you know it's going to fall apart the first 15k miles? Did i read that right? Maybe you just got a bad apple with your WRX. My seats on my Z were fraying pretty bad after 2000 miles. My front bumper looks like it was sandblasted after 4000 miles. All standard WRX owners I've chatted with love their rides and a lot of them are trading up to the STi. It's no Mercedes or Lexus interior I'll give you that, but neither is the Z's. Like Longbowe said "It ain't perfect, but then, what car is?" I'm sure I'll have some issues down the road just like any other car. I've heard nothing but good things about post 1999 Subarus.

Thanks failsafe, yeah I do need a radio but it's been fun hearing the engine and turbo thus far.

Longbowe I've still yet to take it to the max due to the damn break in period. It's still been loads of fun. And mine is that silver color you're talking about. It was a toss up between that and white.

It's not just the outside of the car that matters to me, or just the inside of it. It is the whole package that attracted me to the STi. AWD was huge for me. Now if they had the Z body with the internals and AWD of the STi then...
Old 01-04-2004, 11:25 PM
xtort

Default Re: Re: Finally did it!

Originally posted by reelprod
What I dont understand is how you traded in your Z for a STI and now your payments are $10 less. You sure must have thrown a lot of cash down on top of your Z to get that STI. By the way I own a 2002 WRX and planning on getting a touring Z. My Insurance will go down almost $200 a year if I buy a 2004 Z. Go figure. I think to them AWD is a liability. Kind of like a 4x4 truck.
I can live with paying 16 dollars extra a month, but I understand what you're saying about the truck thing. I went from 140 a month on My 4x4 6cyl Cherokee to 200 with the Z. I'll find out tomorrow what the STi will be. I'll be 25 on the 15th so either way it will be less than what I pay now. The Z was a lease and I put 2000 down on the STi plus 1350 credit I had in prepaid taxes from the Z. The STi is a 6 year purchase. I put quite a bit down when I leased the Z too. Thanks for the input.
Old 01-05-2004, 05:53 AM
alex30327

Default Re: Re: Re: Finally did it!

I should have been more clear. Nothing against the STI! I meant that Subaru as a whole has major quality issues in my past experience. Have had two subaru's in the past, and in my opinion Subaru is definitely a step lower in quality than Nissan. I haven't had too many mechanical problems with my Subaru, but little stuff like the interior falling apart and ratteling etc. Wish you the best, becuase the STI is an awesome car. I guess the point that I was trying to make is that if you sold your Z because it rattled, had tire feathering, etc, getting into a Subaru is not exactly a step up in quality craftsmanship.

Ok so you've never owned an STi but yet you know it's going to fall apart the first 15k miles? Did i read that right? Maybe you just got a bad apple with your WRX. My seats on my Z were fraying pretty bad after 2000 miles. My front bumper looks like it was sandblasted after 4000 miles. All standard WRX owners I've chatted with love their rides and a lot of them are trading up to the STi. It's no Mercedes or Lexus interior I'll give you that, but neither is the Z's. Like Longbowe said "It ain't perfect, but then, what car is?" I'm sure I'll have some issues down the road just like any other car. I've heard nothing but good things about post 1999 Subarus.

Thanks failsafe, yeah I do need a radio but it's been fun hearing the engine and turbo thus far.

Longbowe I've still yet to take it to the max due to the damn break in period. It's still been loads of fun. And mine is that silver color you're talking about. It was a toss up between that and white.

It's not just the outside of the car that matters to me, or just the inside of it. It is the whole package that attracted me to the STi. AWD was huge for me. Now if they had the Z body with the internals and AWD of the STi then...
Old 01-05-2004, 06:31 AM
Montez

Congrats and enjoy the STI good choice, it still amazes me that so many people are haters toward other cars especially if the person wasnt satisfied with the 350 and switches cars. It so many good cars out their and the STI is one, beauty to one may not be to another. Their are lots of people that think the 350 is weird looking as well but who cares you like it, stop hating on other cars.
Old 01-05-2004, 06:49 AM
jleighZ

Originally posted by Montez
Congrats and enjoy the STI good choice, it still amazes me that so many people are haters toward other cars especially if the person wasnt satisfied with the 350 and switches cars. It so many good cars out their and the STI is one, beauty to one may not be to another. Their are lots of people that think the 350 is weird looking as well but who cares you like it, stop hating on other cars.
I agree 110% People can be so rude sometimes.
Old 01-05-2004, 10:14 AM
xtort

Thanks that was well put Montez! The thing is I don't hate the Z but mine just had some problems that wouldn't get dealt with by the dealer service centers here in Vegas. It's still one of the most beautiful cars out there for its price range. Maybe if they release a Turbo model in a few years I'll come running back. Who knows, but till then I'm content.
Old 01-05-2004, 03:25 PM
reelprod

I haven't had any major problems with my 2002 WRX. I have had problems with the driver window squealing, trunk that wont lock properly unless it's slammed and the subwoofer went out. My biggest grip is the clutch is super stiff. Really causes traffic to be a nightmare. I really like the STI and the Z. Just getting a little tired of the Impreza look though. Just recently saw the Lotus Elise at the L.A. Car Show. Now I want one of those over the Z. But if I bought that Lotus I would have to have a second car for commuting to work.