Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Possible upgrades 2006 base 6mt

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 09:56 AM
NiLL

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Possible upgrades 2006 base 6mt

So I have had my 2006 base 6mt for a bit over a year now, and I'm looking to put a bit of money in my car. Nothing too extreme. While I wouldn't call my self mechanically "stoopid", My car exp. Is limited to foxbody and SN-95 mustangs as far as working on them. Some of the new electronics systems and other features are a bit new to me.

I want to get a bit more tire on the car but reading through the forums I see you need to worry about spacers and camber problems and what not. I have never put wider tires on a car and am unaware of all the extra stuff you need to deal with. What is the widest tire you can get with out needing to go to much in to changing suspension and spacers and what not?

I was also looking at doing the test pipes, but I'm concerned about the volume as I have never heard a Z with out cats, Is this going to get me pulled over all the time? Is it obnoxiously loud with the stock exhaust? I plan next year to get the Borla true duals on the car, the test pipes just fit more in to my budget for now.

Another thing I was thinking about doing was the motordyne spacer and plenum, but I am reading conflicting posts about gaining anything at all from any of them on the revup engine. Even after a tune is it worth going this route? or the cheaper z1 power pack? I had called up motordyne and asked a few questions and the tech I talked to said the stock airbox was the best solution as nothing else dyno'ed higher (according to them). so the airbox in the kit is a waist.

Tuning brings me to another question. When should I do this? Is it worth doing with the mods I am looking at? Does anyone have a suggestion for a tuner shop near orlando FL or anywhere with in 100 miles? Preferible Z-moron friendly so I can learn a few things.

Sorry I know this is a long post and I'm sure ill have a few people telling me to use search, I have and a lot of the Info is so spread out and contradicting its hard to make a judgement call on some of this stuff. I love my Z, this is the funnest car I have owned, Just hoping to get a bit more out of it =)

Last edited by NiLL; 12-14-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:29 AM
jonny350Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NiLL
So I have had my 2006 base 5mt for a bit over a year now, and I'm looking to put a bit of money in my car. Nothing too extreme. While I wouldn't call my self mechanically "stoopid", My car exp. Is limited to foxbody and SN-95 mustangs as far as working on them. Some of the new electronics systems and other features are a bit new to me.

I want to get a bit more tire on the car but reading through the forums I see you need to worry about spacers and camber problems and what not. I have never put wider tires on a car and am unaware of all the extra stuff you need to deal with. What is the widest tire you can get with out needing to go to much in to changing suspension and spacers and what not?

I was also looking at doing the test pipes, but I'm concerned about the volume as I have never heard a Z with out cats, Is this going to get me pulled over all the time? Is it obnoxiously loud with the stock exhaust? I plan next year to get the Borla true duals on the car, the test pipes just fit more in to my budget for now.

Another thing I was thinking about doing was the motordyne spacer and plenum, but I am reading conflicting posts about gaining anything at all from any of them on the revup engine. Even after a tune is it worth going this route? or the cheaper z1 power pack? I had called up motordyne and asked a few questions and the tech I talked to said the stock airbox was the best solution as nothing else dyno'ed higher (according to them). so the airbox in the kit is a waist.

Tuning brings me to another question. When should I do this? Is it worth doing with the mods I am looking at? Does anyone have a suggestion for a tuner shop near orlando FL or anywhere with in 100 miles? Preferible Z-moron friendly so I can learn a few things.

Sorry I know this is a long post and I'm sure ill have a few people telling me to use search, I have and a lot of the Info is so spread out and contradicting its hard to make a judgement call on some of this stuff. I love my Z, this is the funnest car I have owned, Just hoping to get a bit more out of it =)
Dude, 5MT? I see so much wrong with this post. If you know that people are gonna tell you to use the search, why don't you?
Old 12-14-2012, 10:33 AM
mknZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha 5 AT? Or 6 MT? I have 285/30/20 rear tires and 245/35/20 front. No problemo there. Stock suspension.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:42 AM
NiLL

Changed to say 6mt =P I had mustangs on the brain when typing this apparently.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:44 AM
jonny350Z

Post title says "2006 Base 5mt". Correct me if I'm wrong, but all Base models were 6MT. If you've had the car for over a year and didn't know it had a 6th speed, you should probably do ALOT more research about this car or trade it in for a mustang (since you mentioned most of your car experience is with mustangs). And before this thread turns into a flaming hate thread, I have nothing against mustangs.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:48 AM
NiLL

It's a typo.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:24 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Practically everything you need to know can be foudn by starting with these's threads....

Top 100 Questions
Read this before doing any modifications
What's the best ... ?
Intake/Exhaust FAQ
Forced Induction for Noobs
Old 12-14-2012, 11:32 AM
drvqz33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So.. many.. questions lol

Just do your basic bolt-ons and get it tuned. The plenum spacer is a good mod. Just make sure you research every part before you buy.

Check out S&R Performance in Tampa. Reputable with Z's.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:40 PM
Zmandriving

Originally Posted by NiLL
So I have had my 2006 base 6mt for a bit over a year now, and I'm looking to put a bit of money in my car. Nothing too extreme. While I wouldn't call my self mechanically "stoopid", My car exp. Is limited to foxbody and SN-95 mustangs as far as working on them. Some of the new electronics systems and other features are a bit new to me.

Honestly the first upgrade since you got a base model is a new differential. I upgraded my 07 base with a Quaife lsd and it makes the care much better than it was before the upgrade.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:58 PM
TheWoods

Testpipes on stock exhaust sounds awful.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:16 PM
Fenom

test pipes along with stock exhaust is not that loud, but yea, it sounds awful.
Maybe you can get an exhaust system first then see if you like the increase of volume then decide on test pipes later. Good luck!