Sponsored by:

Nissan Sport magazine shutting down

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 10:54 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Nissan Sport magazine shutting down

FYI - Nissan Sport magazine has announced that they are shutting down operations. The will be absorbed by Grassroot Motorsports and apparently, unused subcriptions will be honored by GRM.

details here...

http://www.nissansportmag.com/

Sad to see them go.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:11 PM
BRONZEE
Club Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It certainly is!!!
Old 01-06-2013, 07:53 PM
pro_350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow that blows
Old 01-07-2013, 08:30 AM
STL 350Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's the reason behind this? Economy?
Old 01-07-2013, 08:36 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

They didn't say but i'm sure that's the likely cause.

I've noticed over the last two years or so that the issues have gotten thinner and thinner. Not enough advertisers to support it and not enough subscribers.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:31 AM
jerseystyle
350Z-holic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sucks. Art is a cool dude.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:13 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Unfortunately, current economic conditions (namely advertising and circulation) won't allow Nissan Sport magazine to continue operation. After struggling to make it though the recession, the sad truth is our publication was playing to a shrinking audience and even lower potential revenue sources.

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine (GRM) will ensure that our loyal subscribers with issues still outstanding will get them. GRM will also get the feature I was working on for our almost completed (but still-born) winter issue, and they have plans to offer increased coverage of Nissan products and stories. Look for an announcement from GRM shortly.

All other assets are being liquidated to pay the final expenses of the magazine. Any pending sub orders or checks from the past few months will not be processed or cashed. Some may wonder if we've explored all the alternatives and I can assure you we have. After putting out a Nissan Sport e-zine the past two issues, using Facebook and a monthly FREE e-newletter got little response.

So while we've had to face reality, I'm happy that the quality of writing, content and design Nissan Sport put out hasn't wavered. The last two issues were actually larger as we tried to incorporate Nissan truck content into the publication. We kept the same page count on car coverage, but it wasn't enough to keep us going. And for those who thought Nissan was bankrolling us, nothing could be further from the truth.

David Muramoto
Former editor-in-chief
Nissan Sport Magazine

Last edited by dkmura; 01-07-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:23 PM
WSchli1672

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow! What a sad situation. This country needs to have a decent job force back where people will buy, and companies will have business, and then these things won't happen. Let's face it though, this is happening in more areas also. It's just the beginning I feel with the economy the way it is and been going the last few years.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:27 PM
silverbullet_Z

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

wtf I just signed up for a years subscription just last week!!!!
Old 01-07-2013, 05:56 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by silverbullet_Z
Repeating: Any pending sub orders or checks from the past few months will not be processed or cashed.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:02 PM
silverbullet_Z

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dkmura
Repeating: Any pending sub orders or checks from the past few months will not be processed or cashed.
Just checked my online banking and it shows it took the money out.. Might have to send them an email.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:51 AM
350z006

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Is it to late to order your back issue sets? I was going to order the set that had 350z stuff but I kept procrastinating....

I wouldn't mind some of your T-shirts too if you're liquidating everything...

Originally Posted by dkmura
Unfortunately, current economic conditions (namely advertising and circulation) won't allow Nissan Sport magazine to continue operation. After struggling to make it though the recession, the sad truth is our publication was playing to a shrinking audience and even lower potential revenue sources.

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine (GRM) will ensure that our loyal subscribers with issues still outstanding will get them. GRM will also get the feature I was working on for our almost completed (but still-born) winter issue, and they have plans to offer increased coverage of Nissan products and stories. Look for an announcement from GRM shortly.

All other assets are being liquidated to pay the final expenses of the magazine. Any pending sub orders or checks from the past few months will not be processed or cashed. Some may wonder if we've explored all the alternatives and I can assure you we have. After putting out a Nissan Sport e-zine the past two issues, using Facebook and a monthly FREE e-newletter got little response.

So while we've had to face reality, I'm happy that the quality of writing, content and design Nissan Sport put out hasn't wavered. The last two issues were actually larger as we tried to incorporate Nissan truck content into the publication. We kept the same page count on car coverage, but it wasn't enough to keep us going. And for those who thought Nissan was bankrolling us, nothing could be further from the truth.

David Muramoto
Former editor-in-chief
Nissan Sport Magazine
Old 01-09-2013, 03:16 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

PMs to Silverbullet Z and 350z006.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:18 PM
TSG-Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pray to the Gods for the return of Sport Z monthly! Although, I subscribed to Nissan Sport to support the community, I was not a fan of the magazine. Too be honest I hated it! I would like to bet a large percentage of the Nissan Sport base were Z owners and highly doubt they(we) wanted to read about Cube's, Juke's & Versa's! I'm sure a bigger piece didn't want to read about pick up trucks and owners of said vehicles would choose a publication that better targeted their audience. However, I do appreciate the time & effort the Nissan Sport team dedicated to the Nissan community. Sucks that Ford has 4 mags dedicated to one car (Mustang), Honda has a pub (Honda Tuning) while Nissan has nothing!
Old 01-10-2013, 02:41 PM
One_Quick_Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes its sad to see this happen, I was informed a few days ago about this. My car was actually going to be in a behind the wheel article (my 09 370Z which is sold now) I am dissapointed I really wanted to have that article to remember the car by.

Hopefully the Grassroots Motorsports magazine is decent I have a year of that coming my way.

DAN
Old 01-10-2013, 08:21 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

It’s ironic that sites such as this one (my350z.com) are part of the reason that publications (as is Nissan Sport magazine) closes because of dropping circulation numbers and weak advertising sales.

It's wise for Nissan Sport magazine to consolidate; and admirable that Nissan Sport magazine chose to provide subscribers with alternative values. --Spike

--Spike
Old 01-11-2013, 03:12 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate

Received 957 Likes on 722 Posts

Maybe that Z hating old fart on here will finally leave. Get tired of him and his always negative Z related posts.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:26 AM
BornSlippyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sucks to hear about another motorsport mag going away.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:46 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by silverbullet_Z
Silverbullet PM'd me and confirmed he received his refund...
Old 02-03-2013, 08:57 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Cux350z
Maybe that Z hating old fart on here will finally leave. Get tired of him and his always negative Z related posts.
Ha, you might be referring to me & if so, check out my articles & threads on this forum that contributed to the Z community "read this before modifying your Z" I believe the title was & many people found it very helpful. The fact is the articles I wrote regarding turbocharged Z kits, engineering of wheels, etc were written as a service to the community. My bet is if it is me you are talking about, you may have never read those articles yet want to judge my work with no factual background.

Regarding negative comments, if I made them it on the forum it was because they came from a place of being honest. I never wanted to be and will never be a tool to simply copy press releases of Nissan & disguise them as an an evaluation. To write you should present facts & insightful information & leave the fanboy things outside the magazine article IMO. Posting on a forum & writing an article are two different things. If you or anyone else cannot handle the fact that all cars have short comings, it is a reflection on you more then anything else.

Quick Reply: Nissan Sport magazine shutting down