Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Horror Story

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 08:39 AM
Antlaw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by grimm66
I agree with the ones that said building it yourself is the way to go because it is. If something breaks you will know how to fix it rather then waiting for a "shop" to repair it. Most shops are shady anyway, like OP said his car wasn't even touched. I just don't understand why people are so afraid to read the instructions that comes with the FI kit since that's what the "shops" do when they install the kit. They way I see it if you don't want to tackle the job of installing a kit yourself and learning about your car, don't complain about waiting long periods of time to get something done on it.
Yeah, definitely a lesson learned. I'm doing all the work on it now with the help of a very experienced friend. The only thing I'll have to have a shop do is the tuning. I'll be taking it to Z Car Garage in San Jose next month when everything is put together.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:10 AM
JCat
---------------

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I will be criticized for saying this but . . . .

If a car isn't engineered to handle additional horsepower, and you add it anyway, you are setting yourself up for many headaches.

If your desire is a sports car with 550 - 700 horsepower (in my opinion) you should not expect to get it from a Nissan 350Z. You might consider a Viper, Vette, or Mustang.

I know it's possible to do, but in my 9 years on this forum I have seen your problem over and over and over.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:17 AM
zaimer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by deeno
That's why alot of people refuse to buy modded cars

Best of luck OP
This. I would NEVER buy a modded car. This thread is a prime example why. Not worth taking the gamble.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:30 AM
Jah70

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JCat

If a car isn't engineered to handle additional horsepower, and you add it anyway, you are setting yourself up for many headaches.

If your desire is a sports car with 550 - 700 horsepower (in my opinion) you should not expect to get it from a Nissan 350Z. You might consider a Viper, Vette, or Mustang.

I know it's possible to do, but in my 9 years on this forum I have seen your problem over and over and over.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:46 AM
Antlaw

Originally Posted by JCat

Its not really the fact that I want 500 - 700 hp. Yeah its fun to have a fast car. In general I just like modifying cars. I don't really like Vipers, the only Vette I would consider is the Z06 which is a little out of my price range, and I absolutely HATE Mustangs. Growing up in Alabama, Mustangs are pretty popular because they're cheap and everyone loves muscle cars there...so no way.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:49 AM
tylerxfire

ill always go by built not bought...i would never buy a boosted factory n/a car esp. one that was supposedly fully built..ppl love to throw that word around..good luck
Old 01-16-2013, 12:06 PM
whatZheck

When I bought my 9 year old Z last Summer, anything but stock was out of the question. Too many cars are screwed up by people who do not know what they are doing.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:17 PM
350zjason350z
Know it all

I had a simlar thing happen to me but.... Nothing too bad just lots stupid rigged crap that I had to go out of my way to re fix. I paid way too much for my car. If I could do it over I'd buy something stock and modded it myself.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:27 PM
Nismo350z#0310

Received 562 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by Antlaw
Whether you meant to or not, you're more or less saying I'm bad with money because I'm in the military. One, I've never been deployed so I didn't "blow" my deployment money on my car. Two, when I purchased my Z I was 100% debt free. I'm a Staff Sergeant and I still have 13 years left in the Air Force until I retire. Planning for my future has been done and things are in place to set me up for civilian life. I already have 2 CCAF degrees, and I'm working on getting ASE certs now. I probably could have made a better decision buying a Z, but I don't 100% regret it. I would've done these mods to a stock Z anyway.
Didn't mean to be negative towards you, but seeing so many of these cases first hand it frustrate me and I'm wishing more for our military guys. I've seen a lot of struggles financially. You've put $30Gs into a car that really isn't worth those funds. Just be careful for your future.

Side note, they are saying Obama plans on making military cuts, this may include shorting your military enlistment.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:35 PM
WSchli1672

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nismo350z#0310
Could have guess you were in the military. I'm also guessing you've blown a lot your deployment money. It's the same sad story over and over. A vast majority of military member coming out of the armed forces are broke, some of those homeless. 43% of all homeless males are veterans. 400,000 veterans are homeless at some time in a year. This spawns from several things including young and foolish age, bad financial decisions, inexperienced financial responsibilities and poor education. You are no different. My advice- cut your losses and move on from the car. Look inside and see what corrections need to be made, take your experience and learn from it and then move on.

Think about it, you have a 10 year old car with no real 'collect-ability' value to it. It's private property value is around $10,000. So far you've tripled that and have put $30,000 into it.

Say, I missed your Post #29. Very nicely said!

The money you are making needs to support you in the future. Otherwise, you are going to come out with no education, no prior working experience and no money to support you in whatever endeavors you deal with in order to live civilian life. I've seen it first hand with a couple of friends.

Drop the car, sell it, save your money.
Way off target, apparently you don't know anything about the military and it's standards and bashing is b.s. Military provides education to their personnel, help with and pay for college degrees, try that in the civilian world, I paid less then $300.00 for my degree and the military paid the rest is a good example. Military are trained in trades, work their butts off and come out with an excellent outlook on life and not trying to live off the government. (Just a little note on the government and veterans). Attach copies of those documents stating those facts on the veterans here so it can be read. I'm a veteran, along with a number of other members I know that are making 6 figures and it comes from the military providing us education and experience so when we left we had the opportunity to acquire a good job. And age has absolutely nothing either. What it all boils down to is the guy got a bad deal from a civilian on a car that was supposedly in excellent condition, but in reality was not. And that is why he has put so much money into it, but just didn't have the knowledge or a point of contact to help him.
As to advice on the car, it seems the city posted is within 20 miles of me, and I will help him with getting the car taking care of upon contact, which I put in a previous post. This is what I mean by knowing somebody.
But bottom line really is, after all things, nobody should be bashing anybody and there's always a brighter future.
_____
I just read your Post #29. I want to say, that was very nicely put! An A+++

Last edited by WSchli1672; 01-16-2013 at 05:52 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:28 PM
Zredman

Originally Posted by Nismo350z#0310
Didn't mean to be negative towards you, but seeing so many of these cases first hand it frustrate me and I'm wishing more for our military guys. I've seen a lot of struggles financially. You've put $30Gs into a car that really isn't worth those funds. Just be careful for your future.

Side note, they are saying Obama plans on making military cuts, this may include shorting your military enlistment.
not all military guys do things like that, and if he has been able to put 30gs into a car and still b ok says alot. idk where your getting your homeless #'s from cause im sure its about a 1/5 of that. there are programs within the air force and all military branches for financial help if he needed it. most of us have our education at least in my unit. and what do you mean no prior work experience im pretty sure military would be prior work experience and a damn good one. I personally would of put a LS2 in the z and been done with the boost for awhile. sry about the rant just kinda sad how you talk down to someone who is enlisted and has sold his soul to protect YOUR freedom. Idk if you realized thats how it came off but it did.

O btw our Commander in Chief says alot about the cutting back but in 4 years or less if something happens that we are needed again we will be back in action if its not to late...
Old 01-16-2013, 08:02 PM
pro_350z

Yea I had same problem when I was pcsing as we'll. I had just got gotten my z from a respectable shop down in socal and was happy with the results from going FI. Everything was fine until my buddy found that bugs bunny did my camber arms wrong. The side skirts that were on it were held on by two screws and the suspension that it had bottomed out with only two people pushing on it. Saying all of that I only had to travel 240 miles to my destination but I played it safe and still trailered my z down there.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:02 AM
bmcmvox

Originally Posted by NebraskaZ
This comment really upset me. Ease up on the dude. He's a grown man and can make his own decisions. It's a big assumption to make there-you don't know his financial situation or his job. Don't assume something about a person just because you think he's some 18 year old Army soldier, making poor financial decisions, and then going on to tell him that he won't get a job because he has "no education, no prior working experiences, and no money". In reality, many of these military guys have far more work experience that I ever will, and it makes them highly competetive in the civilian world. He got a little in over his head with the Z, and it's a life lesson that we all have/will learn at some point. But it's no time to bash him based on the fact that he mentioned he was military.

On that note, thank you for your service to our country. Coming from a military background myself, I have a huge respect for what you do.
I have to agree. That guys comments were condescending and disrespectful. Many veterans are homeless and "broke" because of many reasons. PTSD....a plethora of other psychological conditions and a complete lack of support/respect once they return are some of the biggies.Why people think they have the right to talk down to serviceman from the comfort of his/her safe and comfortable armchair is beyond me. As if he is justified in telling a soldier who maybe risking their lives on a daily basis that he shouldn't have bought a car because he is being irresponsible and essentially "stupid" just really makes my angry face come out.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:29 AM
Nismo350z#0310

Received 562 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by Zredman
not all military guys do things like that, and if he has been able to put 30gs into a car and still b ok says alot. idk where your getting your homeless #'s from cause im sure its about a 1/5 of that. there are programs within the air force and all military branches for financial help if he needed it. most of us have our education at least in my unit. and what do you mean no prior work experience im pretty sure military would be prior work experience and a damn good one. I personally would of put a LS2 in the z and been done with the boost for awhile. sry about the rant just kinda sad how you talk down to someone who is enlisted and has sold his soul to protect YOUR freedom. Idk if you realized thats how it came off but it did.

O btw our Commander in Chief says alot about the cutting back but in 4 years or less if something happens that we are needed again we will be back in action if its not to late...
Information is sited from National Coalition for the Homeless. It's very real stats and it's a commonality that proper financial discretion aren't used while in service and this can make it hard on the transfer to civilian life. I have a couple of friends who are struggling so it's an issue close to me. Again, didn't mean to come off negative towards the OP, but wanting to shake guys who regularly come on this site and talk about the $$$$$$$ there throwing into a car. I can understand a little bit of spending, but 30 grand is a lot and it's the lengths a lot of them usually go to.

Last edited by Nismo350z#0310; 01-17-2013 at 04:31 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:27 AM
TEF

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

JCAT's comment about cars not being engineered for some mods is correct. One should consider that if Nissan (the manufacturer) had seen the Z's engine as a reliable possiblity for a turbo, it would have offered a turbocharged model (probably as an expensive option). No car company is adverse to making money if it can, but offsetting a profit is the reality of one's reputation for making and selling reliable vehicles. A company, after all, must back its warranty and replacing blown engines is not an inexpensive repair. Therefore, Nissan's engineers likely determined that the Z's engine would not tolerate a turbo, so it probably didn't matter who or how one installs aftermarket turbo's in Z's, it unlikely that these modded cars will be reliable or without their problems. For example, is the GTR's turbo engine based on the "Z" or is it a whole new design?

Since members in this thread have offered some "old" expressions (i.e. buying a used car is buying another man's problems, etc.), how about "an education cost money". In as much as learning about modded cars cost almost $16K for some of us. While I am not laughing at this individual's problems, I am sure that he'll think long and hard before repeating this mistake.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:38 AM
Antlaw

Default Update:

Just so you guys can see some of what I'm dealing with I'm posting a few pics. This isn't the worst thing that was done to this motor either. Instead of using gaskets in a lot of places, rtv was used instead, etc etc. Also, found the cause of my loss in oil pressure that killed my engine. Thats the main crank pulley and if you look closely in the other pic it shredded the inside of the timing chain cover there. Yaaaayyy - get to buy a new one. Oh and yes thats a bit drilled through the side of the head where they tried to get a broken bolt out, hence the rtv used to try and seal that valve cover.
Attached Thumbnails Horror Story-crank-pulley.jpg   Horror Story-rtv-screw.jpg   Horror Story-timing-chain-cover.jpg   Horror Story-car.jpg  
Old 02-20-2013, 07:06 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

Sorry to hear about your experience. I'm always cautious and thorough when looking at purchasing vehicles.

That being said, I would never buy a modded car. I got in an arguement with someone on this forum, but in my opinion, heavily modified vehicles are worthless. Half of the work is never done properly (as you are finding) and many of the listed parts aren't even there (as you found as well).

If I was going to modify any of my vehicles I would spend more doing it myself - at least I know I'm getting what I paid for, and I know the work is being done properly.

Best of luck with your situation, at least you gained some experience and learned something.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:34 PM
samsniss350z

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Wow my sympathy goes out to you. I made the mistake of buying a heavily modded 200SX S14 SR20DET, never again, i spent more time rectifying stuff that either hadn't been fitted correctly & repairing things that were buried deep in the engine. I've learnt my lesson, if i'm going to mod a car i'm going to do it myself from a solid standard platform. As previously mentioned, when you buy used you're sometimes buying other peoples problems. I'm hoping that once you get your motor sorted out there will be little else to go wrong. GOOD LUCK. And happy motoring in the future, one day when you've got it all sorted you'll laugh about this.