Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Changing Oil

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 02:23 PM
Keo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Changing Oil

I'm @1900 miles and was wondering when to get the 1st oil change. Manual says 3750. What do you guys recommend?
-Keo
Old 01-19-2004, 02:55 PM
Z_Coaster

ASAP. I changed mine at 500 and then after the break-in period. I just started using synthetic (~10k).
Old 01-19-2004, 05:45 PM
trackstar

I agree. I would have done it already. It certainly can't hurt.
Old 01-19-2004, 06:24 PM
zlove

I would say change it everyday if you like It couldn't hurt!!!

As of now, I have gone for the regular 3500 or so changes (3 of them).
Old 01-19-2004, 07:53 PM
Z_Coaster

Just to be clear, I would have changed it by now. You should definetly get it changed as soon as possible. After this, the intervals at which you regularly change the oil depends on your driving habits. In severe driving conditions it is recommended every 3000. In normal conditions, 6000.
Now when they say severe, it means dusty, hot environments, towing (hopefully you don't tow anything), traffic (a lot of stop and go), and/or making a lot of short trips that doesnt allow the engine/exhaust to fully heat up. Normal conditions is everything else. Confused yet?

As for synthetic, I would definetly recommend it, but not until 10k miles. Synthetic won't allow the engine to break-in properly (break-in period is a different issue/topic altogether).

Of course everyone has their own opinion and this is just my .02 cents. Enjoy your baby!
Old 01-19-2004, 07:56 PM
ml2316

yeah i've read you shouldn't use synthetic until the car has some significant mileage.
Old 01-19-2004, 08:29 PM
VEGASTOY

you guys that are telling this poor guy to hurry, run, change your oil quickly, should try and understand an engine sometime!!!

the oil put in our cars engine at the factory is designed to lubricate better than any regular oil we can buy. it has special additives designed to stay in the engine until 3750 miles, hense the reason it says to change the oil at 3750...newer engines require less perks than the engines of the past...ie. the 2002-3 chevy trailblazer requires oil changes every 5000 miles...does that mean we should change the first one at 500 miles??????
Old 01-19-2004, 10:21 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by VEGASTOY
you guys that are telling this poor guy to hurry, run, change your oil quickly, should try and understand an engine sometime!!!

the oil put in our cars engine at the factory is designed to lubricate better than any regular oil we can buy. it has special additives designed to stay in the engine until 3750 miles, hense the reason it says to change the oil at 3750...newer engines require less perks than the engines of the past...ie. the 2002-3 chevy trailblazer requires oil changes every 5000 miles...does that mean we should change the first one at 500 miles??????
Where did you hear that tall tale?? Did a Nissan sales rep tell you that?

Hey everybody...Nissan is using some super secret oil that no one can get their hands on...

Your resoning for not changing the oil until 3700 whatever miles makes no sense at all. Engines wear the most between 0 and 1000 miles...therefore if you put "super slippery" motor oil in the engine it won't break in properly. Thus people don't use synthetic oil until around 10K miles since it is "too slippery" for a new motor and doesn't allow it to break in properly. I'd really like to know what kind of special oil Nissan supposedly uses that is better than any Synthetic oil that we can buy....
Old 01-19-2004, 10:24 PM
Z_Coaster

As I said, like this a$$whole, everyone has got their own opinion. And if you DO understand engines, you understand why some people change their oil sooner than later.

From http://www.smartsynthetics.com/artic..._to_amsoil.htm
"By changing the factory installed oil and filter after the first 500 miles you will also be removing the initial wear-in particulates present in the oil and filter. The reason for this is that during initial wear-in there is very high particulate contamination in the oil. These particulates consist mainly of microscopic particles of aluminum, bronze, copper, lead and iron, plus soot particles and other by-products of combustion in your oil. Your filter cannot filter out all these small particulates as many are sub-micron size and too small for the filter to trap, BUT they are also small enough to fit between your bearing and other internal clearances and cause wear. That is why we recommend to that in order to properly break-in a new engine, regardless of what your new car salesman or dealership personnel tell you, is to perform the first oil and filter change at 500 miles."

other links:
http://www.superiorlubrication.com/breakin.php
http://www.enginesonly.com/break-in.html

As a side note, I don't necessarily believe Nissan to give the right information. After all, they are in the business to sell you a new car, not help maintain the life if your existing one (beyond the warranty). I've heard theories about car makers targeting engine life to around 5 years so that you will keep coming back every 5 or so years for a new car. Not sure if this is true, but I wouldn't put it past makers.
Old 01-19-2004, 10:31 PM
Z_Coaster

Sorry BriGuyMax, wasn't referring to you as the butt hole. You just posted before I finished flaming the snake oil salesman.
Old 01-19-2004, 11:00 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Z_Coaster
Sorry BriGuyMax, wasn't referring to you as the butt hole. You just posted before I finished flaming the snake oil salesman.
No prob...I figured it out...
Old 01-20-2004, 10:34 AM
Tweety-nator

Interesting information, I did not know about this. Thanks guys for the helpful info and links.

I got almost 1500 miles on my car now, I am going to scehdule an oil change ASAP.