Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

27 yo, 350z for first car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 01:37 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Didn't read the whole thread, but jesus, that's one damn fugly Z, and you really should avoid buying a modded car in any case. Increase your Zyprexa dose and look for a better car
Old 07-25-2013, 01:37 PM
Neeko94

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was like you...except im 18.
Mature for my age, always with older people...bought my own Z paying for all my mods gas and insurance and going to college yada yada yada..........Crashed my **** the 6th day I got it ))

Thank the lord my dad has got INSANE connections. I got the 5k worth of damage fixed for free!! . and every since then...ive been more mature about driving than my own father.

anyways...back to your questions
1. Make it your first car. but dont rely on it at all times. regarding snow.
keep in mind its a sports car. and should be treated accordingly. so depending on your ocd you should be fine
2. I wouldnt buy the Z in the link....like everyone has said....dont buy modded. its the biggest risk you run. Buy stock and build on it yourself so you know you can trust it to work the way it should
3. ALWAYS test drive and inspect every inch...literally every inch. you will always find something to push you away from the buy or get the dealer to lower the price
Old 07-25-2013, 02:00 PM
Jbakes727

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A 350z is a first fine car. Buy it stock. If you want A/T that's fine but a lot of people do that then wish they got M/T, it's just that type of car. You sound like you have your finances in order and are somewhat of an enthusiast. Go for a clean stock 07/08 in M/T you won't regret it. I couldn't have given you any better advice.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:03 PM
NismoK

OP, there is a dealer called Master Cars right on the border of STL and Illinois. I bought a Viper GTS from there about 5 years ago now. They deal primarily in sports cars and higher end vehicles.

Guy by the name of Alex, Owner I think; He was able to search and find the exact one I was looking for, went and bought it, brought it back to his place and sold it to me. It was everything I expected and a very good experience; considering I was coming down from Canada.

If you are in need of some assistance, maybe give them a call and see if they can track down exactly what you are looking for. Might be worth the call....

K
Old 07-25-2013, 02:38 PM
Pete'sZ

I would say that "most" people don't race their Z's... people who street race are a minority, and maybe there are more people that take them to tracks if they are in the area, but I'd imagine at least a large majority of them are never raced... you definitely don't want to get one that was raced either on the street or track if you can help it... it's really hard on almost every part, and will wear the car a lot more than normal driving will.

Independent inspection will tell you about most of the problems that would be likely to occur, but maybe not everything. I think pretty much any car that you like is a good first car for you, though.

I've had my Z since last December, and I've loved it. I've previously owned an Acura Integra, Nissan Maxima, and a couple of different little old Civics, and I like the Z much more. Some things to consider that are not the best about them though: They are 2 seaters, whereas most cars will give you at least a way to fit 4 people, if not comfortably. They also have very little storage space, so won't be any use in helping you move, and if you want to buy anything bigger than like a vacuum or microwave, you'll prolly need to borrow someone else's car to transport it. Also, they're not particularly good on gas, although there are worse sports cars out there as far as gas mileage, and they need Premium Gas. It costs me about $60-70 to fill up, and I normally get around 280-300 miles before I need to fill up again, with city driving (I'm sure some people get better mileage though, I tend to accelerate more quickly than some I'd imagine.) Also, they are pretty expensive to insure, I am paying about $150 a month right now for $250 deductible full insurance, as a 30 year old single guy. On the other hand, they're a ton of fun, cool looking I think, fast, some nice features etc. and I haven't regretted buying mine at all.

*edit* by the way, we're pretty much in the same boat as far as finances and stage in life, I just finished law school and I'm currently making $3k after taxes exactly. I didn't have $12k saved up though, got my 2008 Roadster Touring for about $21k from Car Max with 40k miles on it. I got a loan from my credit union at 4.5% interest (with around the same credit score as you) and I'm paying $380 a month on it with "gap insurance" which I think is a good idea if you are going to finance it... it means that they will pay the difference in the value of your car and what you owe if you ever total it or have it stolen, and that difference will be up to 4.5k in my car's case during certain periods of the loan. Also, I agree with the people who said try to get as new of one as possible.. I lucked out picking an '08 versus an '06 that was there as well, as there are a number of improvements that have been made to Z's over the years, and the differences between an '02 and '08 are pretty significant (from different headlights, traction control, different engines with more power on newer ones)

Originally Posted by Brude
Considering I have no experience in buying cars new or used, I would be very dependent on an independent inspection. As for the mods it looks like its just appearance mods and don't a lot of people race their Zs? Is that a huge red flag? I am asking because i would want to make appearance mods to my car and having something that has already been done on would save me money for parts and fitment costs. It looks like its been fitted well.

Last edited by Pete'sZ; 07-25-2013 at 02:47 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:39 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

A Z would be a fun car for you. Don't expect it to be very practical, though. If you want some trunk space, look at G35 coupes.

Congratulations on working to where you are today!

The one thing I really recommend is finding a car that is stock (or near). This will give you piece of mind in that things haven't been f*cked with too much.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:58 PM
doshoru

Originally Posted by Spork
A Z would be a fun car for you. Don't expect it to be very practical, though. If you want some trunk space, look at G35 coupes.

Congratulations on working to where you are today!

The one thing I really recommend is finding a car that is stock (or near). This will give you piece of mind in that things haven't been f*cked with too much.
Or you could remove the spare and double the trunk space

Or completely gut the hatch and triple it!

I can't think of anything I couldn't fit in my Z that I couldn't a G or most other sedans
Old 07-25-2013, 04:06 PM
Ser_Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry long link, but check this car out even if you have to rent a car to check it out seems promising tasteful mods (besides wheels) imo, HR 08 engine not to many miles could probably talk them down 1k in price TEST DRIVE it see if you would like it as your first car!! Z's are one hell of a car to drive since the day I bought mine its been a pleasure

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invento...sting=63662023
Old 07-25-2013, 04:11 PM
mcarther101

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Brude
Been ogling at a 07 350z A/T with 68k miles and a veilside widebody kit, spoiler and such with a price tag of 16k.

http://www.glendalenissan.com/vehicl...-il-id-4925236

1. Should I go ahead and make it my first car.
2. Is that a fair price for the car, no accidents on the autocheck record.
3. Is it ok to just ship it to my location without a test drive (i'll probably get a lot of flak for this but with my busy schedule I can't find time to fly out to IL and test drive it)
1. Yes, but don't buy that hideous car. Even though it has volk's and what I suspect to be a garbage "BBK" that is a terribly ugly car, lacking all sophistication, and screams "I'm 21 years old, and just saw fast and furious tokyo drift!"
2 . It's a fair price, but if you buy from a member of this forum, you'll likely get much more for your money. Look for a car already modded with suspension, rims, manual transmission, aftermarket limited slip differential, rollcage, forced induction (turbo or supercharger).
3. NO, that's a terrible idea if you're buying from a stealership, maybe if it was someone very reputable, but never a dealer.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:13 PM
logan09

autotrader is the way to go.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:39 PM
Jah70

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't buy that particular Z. It has some rice on it and it has a vaginal shift system or VSS or better known as an Automatic. Get something near stock. If you do get that particular one remove that wing for goodness sake. Idk if you can return those taillights back to their original form though.

Last edited by Jah70; 07-25-2013 at 05:42 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:19 PM
kaze06

Best advice I can give is to be patient to and find something you truly love. Don't settle. Find the color you want, trim you want, transmission you want, everything. And buy it as bone stock as possible so you know what's going in and coming out. Buying from older guys and reputable dealerships is a good bet.

Don't jump the gun on the first good price. It took me almost 9 months of looking until I found a Z I was happy with that was within what I wanted to spend. Set a budget and DO NOT EXCEED IT. Don't become the guy who thought a few extra dollars here and there isn't so bad, because you end up going under. You seem smart enough to know that. Just beware.

Get a 6MT. These cars are meant to be driven manual. You'll thank yourself

Best of luck in finding your dream Z. Just remember, don't settle.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:37 PM
Stayka

Everyone has already said it but...

+1 you will regret not getting a manual.

And although everyone has their own taste this car is not for a 27 year old. This is for the 17 year olds you were mentioning.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:14 PM
Brude

Firstly thank you for all the replies, I see a very strong community here. You have me convinced to go for a stock Z. Although I really like the Veilside kit :P My brother has the same sentiments and wants me to go for a M/T, said why bother with A/T if it only takes a week to learn manual. I have applied for a week's vacation in August so I should be able to go look at cars and test drive if they allow me to on a driving permit. I just need to shortlist cars for viewing now. As much as I find the Vaginal Shift System funny, I must admit i'm daunted by M/T. Stalling would kill me from embarrassment more than anything else. I'll look into buying from someone on this forum as well but financing that would be a hassle I would want to avoid i.e taking a personal loan with wtf interest rates.

Also I want the Z to be a daily driver, I'm not concerned about gas prices or trunk capacity, I don't haul much people or stuff. the thing about just 2 seats bothered me a bit 8-9 months back when I first started looking and so I looked at G35 Coupes and Mazda rx-8s as well but then I don't know if I'm so militant about oil changes on rx-8 and the engine being a time bomb would probably give me a panic attack everytime. As for g35 coupe its a fairly decent choice except that the back seat really wont fit adults so its luggage space essentially. Lancer ralliart has been heavy on my mind as well but it has its own string of issues with the transmission reliability and such in my budget range.

Last edited by Brude; 07-25-2013 at 09:19 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:41 PM
Brude

Quick question:

What do you think about this car being sold by a forum member,

https://my350z.com/forum/cars-for-sa...new-motor.html

It has paddle shifters!! lol jks jks.. no but seriously
Old 07-25-2013, 09:50 PM
Maffucci10

This is just me but even though this is your first car, get a manual. If you were gonna get some type of family car, yes I see getting a auto but ANY sports car get a manual... period, end of story. If your dead set on an auto and you like the body kit and spoiler, go for it but I would not want to be seen in this car. Keep looking for a stock or very close to stock one. Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:33 PM
iamsha786

Get it ! You will love it as I love mine.. mine is auto and I modified some engine parts and its sweet
Old 07-26-2013, 03:53 AM
Brude

Quick opinions on this would be great as well. Considering he is in a bit of a rush, I don't want to keep him waiting.

https://my350z.com/forum/cars-for-sa...new-motor.html

I like the fact that it has a new motor and transmission of sorts. its a bit beyond budget but i know i will keep the car till it breaks down on me.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:55 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,105 Likes on 6,560 Posts

that is a REALLY nice G with alot of good parts on it.. but i thought your budget was 17k
Old 07-26-2013, 04:06 AM
oldschool350z

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The G might be a more "practical" car for you. I bought a Z and thought why would I need 4 seats. Well a couple years later and I'll start a family so need more seats.

Quick Reply: 27 yo, 350z for first car?