Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

27 yo, 350z for first car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 09:46 AM
Brude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 27 yo, 350z for first car?

I know this topic has been done before for 17 year olds and I read through most of it and it appeared that the issues were mainly lack of self control due to maturity issues, financing issues due to loans and such and of course the "too powerful for first car" bits.

So to clarify I'm 27 years old, I have a stable job which pays 3k per month after taxes, I'm mature I think sorta, i'm a Psychiatry Resident so a bit mature due to hardships endured in Med School and such. I have been driving bikes all my life and this would be my first car so in my case I think I fit into the last argument of "too powerful". So I was wondering if that would apply to me if I just take it easy, I know I'm not the go fast kind or burn rubber etc kind. I just want my first car to be special and I have about 12k saved up as disposable income and I could finance some and pay it off in less than 3 months. Don't have a GF, dont have a wife, no extra expenditures, credit score of 736 so that isn't an issue either.

Been ogling at a 07 350z A/T with 68k miles and a veilside widebody kit, spoiler and such with a price tag of 16k.

http://www.glendalenissan.com/vehicl...-il-id-4925236

the one in that link. I know its A/T and I should get M/T but I think I'm more of an auto guy as it would be a first car. and I am aware that people may have differing opinions about the appearance as well, but it looks epic to me. Nonetheless I wanted opinions on:

1. Should I go ahead and make it my first car.
2. Is that a fair price for the car, no accidents on the autocheck record.
3. Is it ok to just ship it to my location without a test drive (i'll probably get a lot of flak for this but with my busy schedule I can't find time to fly out to IL and test drive it)

Any and all responses welcome, even harsh ones, I'm quite immune to criticism being in psychiatry
Old 07-25-2013, 09:54 AM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

I see no reason why a Z would not be a perfectly acceptable first car. It is fun to drive and very reliable.

The price probably isn't too bad but I don't really like the modifications that have been done to it. Of course, that is personal taste so if you like it, go for it.

I don't think I would buy a used car without test driving it. If you can have it checked out by someone you can trust, it probably wouldn't be too bad to have it shipped to you.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:56 AM
Brude

I was thinking of a independent inspection to be done before purchase. I have been researching the Z for about 6 months now and looked into even the tyres that I would want i.e Continental Extreme DWS since I don't think I would want to change tyres by season.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:58 AM
Brude

The spoiler worries me nonetheless, given reviews which say it already has poor rearward visibility and the spoiler would make it worse. I've an OCD of researching everything to the most meticulous detail.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:58 AM
oldschool350z

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you are going to drive in snow you NEED snow tires. Even with those continental you will hate the Z in snow.

I personally will always garage mine in winter.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:59 AM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

No one will know if the car is for you except yourself. I bought mine brand new at 24 in '05 as a happy bday gift to myself. Been enjoying it since without any self destruct or sliding into fence issues.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:01 AM
oldschool350z

I would NOT buy that one you listed in the link. It's been modded, stick with a stock one.

I'm very **** about my cars and odds are if it's modded like that it was raced or tracked at some point. You want to make sure it's in good condition, check for leaks and normal stuff like any other car.

I bought mine after college and love driving it everyday.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:03 AM
Brude

with regards to the snow bit the route I take in the taxi to work everyday its majorly main roads which are well maintained during winter and I looked up reviews of those tyres on these forums and everyone had good things to say with maybe some weight placed in the back. Thanks for the vote of confidence from the other replies, but you must know I am still in the midst of driving classes and I am just tired of throwing 500 bucks a month on cabs.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:04 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,106 Likes on 6,561 Posts

i am not a fan of the body kit, i think it took away from the already good looks of the car. i know in texas if your tailights are tinted that dark you will get pulled over, not to mention it makes them really dim increasing your chance of getting rear ended. if you like the car, it is your money... go for it. being from pretty far up north i would worry about the under body, rusted bolts etc. i think you could get a better car for the same price locally
Old 07-25-2013, 10:05 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,306 Likes on 1,661 Posts

I would seriously look at a different Z , get a stock or semi stock version.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:06 AM
Brude

Originally Posted by oldschool350z
I would NOT buy that one you listed in the link. It's been modded, stick with a stock one.

I'm very **** about my cars and odds are if it's modded like that it was raced or tracked at some point. You want to make sure it's in good condition, check for leaks and normal stuff like any other car.

I bought mine after college and love driving it everyday.
Considering I have no experience in buying cars new or used, I would be very dependent on an independent inspection. As for the mods it looks like its just appearance mods and don't a lot of people race their Zs? Is that a huge red flag? I am asking because i would want to make appearance mods to my car and having something that has already been done on would save me money for parts and fitment costs. It looks like its been fitted well.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:07 AM
Brude

Hmm, St.Louis is not big on Zs for whatever reason and I am having a tough time finding a Z with low miles in my under 17k budget.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:10 AM
Brude

oh and I'm looking into stock Zs as well, just thought that Z in the link looked epic, my tastes are drawn from a lot of Need For Speed Underground gaming :S
Old 07-25-2013, 10:12 AM
travlee
Master

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...rch=true&Log=0
Old 07-25-2013, 10:14 AM
travlee
Master

here ya go.... close to st louis, auto and an HR

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...Index=13&Log=0
Old 07-25-2013, 10:17 AM
Rennen

Originally Posted by terrasmak
I would seriously look at a different Z , get a stock or semi stock version.
agreed. Z's aren't rare, and you should be able to find one locally. maybe for a lower price too. don't fall in love with a car right away, there will always be another one for sale. wait for the right one, and make sure it's in good mechanical order.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:18 AM
Brude

Originally Posted by travlee9374
here ya go.... close to st louis, auto and an HR

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...Index=13&Log=0
Nice find, I think craigslist and cargurus wasnt the best place to look. reckon price is fair? Now we're back to ship without test drive or not :P
Old 07-25-2013, 10:19 AM
oldschool350z

2003-2005 will be a lot cheaper. I would stay away from 2006 as it has the rev-up engine which could have oil consumption.

the 2007-2008 has the better "HR" engine which all in all is better. In regards to being modified well it's up to you, I would stick with one that is stock. It may look as though it's all cosmetic and it could be but when you buy modded you generally buy other peoples problems. Mods don't add value unless it's something like a turbo.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:21 AM
travlee
Master

i would never buy anything off craigslist, let alone a car...due according to google this one is less than 2 hours from you. price is fair i think. i paid 21k for mine 2 yrs ago with 34k miles
Old 07-25-2013, 10:21 AM
AroundMyHorn

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not a fan of the kit or automatic trans (trust me, if you are 50 50 on this get the manual, so much more fun) but the car does have some nice mods (brembo bbk = $4k, volk GTS wheels = $3k). I'm surprised the guy who traded it in got what he wanted for it. In any matter, good luck.

Quick Reply: 27 yo, 350z for first car?