Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Why am I always fighting with the A/C?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 05:01 AM
Daytona Blue Z in Bo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why am I always fighting with the A/C?

Its winter up here in Boston, and its been crazy cold these last 2-3 weeks, daily lows around 2-5F and daily highs around 10-15F. When I head out to the car in the morning to warm it up I already have the temp set to 90, fan at about 75% and head/feet vent and none-recirculate.. I start the car and I come back out of the house 5 mins later to head off to work and the damn A/C is on... I shut it off and then maybe 1 min later I look down and its back on again!!! After it warms up it goes back to normal.. Also some other random times I look down and its on also..

The Z must love the A/C, everything you do can cause the A/C to go on. Move the **** to auto, A/C usually goes on, recirculate setting, A/C goes on, move the **** anywhere near defroster\defogger settings, its goes on.. I wish I could put it on when I want to and not when the car wants too. The only time I need it is in the summer and to defog the windows when driving in the rain with the windows closed..

Is this normal to have the A/C go on by itself without changing a setting in the dead cold? Anybody have an explaination why it may need to go on by itself when its 4 degrees out when the car is just started?

Me and the A/C everyday ==>

Last edited by Daytona Blue Z in Bo; 01-26-2004 at 05:10 AM.
Old 01-26-2004, 05:37 AM
azaz

In nearly all domestic cars the Head/Feet setting is considered the bi-level and it will run the a/c. I have never tried it on the Z myself so I don't know how it is set up, but seems normal for it to do what you are describing. I am not sure if the Z has humidity sensor or not to turn a/c on in high humidy situations. Also on the defrost/defog most all cars run the a/c because it dehumidifies the air for better window clearing. I hope this helps.
Old 01-26-2004, 06:19 AM
ZRated03

Theres another thread that went into some details about this, I can't find it right this second but have no fear, I too fight with the A/C but all its doing (apparently) is 'DeHumidifying' the air so it helps w/ the defrost/fog process. Its not actually gonna blow cold air and I think it does go off after alittle while when it feels the air is 'conditioned' enough. lol sounds like a farce, but its no biggy really. Altho I do feel your pain.
Old 01-26-2004, 06:51 AM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It is annoying but apparently that is how it is supposed to work. Does not seem to really kick the compressor on, at least I can't hear or feel it, and does not seem to rob any power, not that you need power at that temp anyway since the tires get like rocks and just spin on DRY pavement until they heat up. Still, I hate it when a car trys to think FOR you. It is supposed to be good to turn on the A/C once in a while in the winter - keeps the seals from drying out?
Old 01-26-2004, 07:01 AM
WayneTN

What I do is just set the airflow on RECIRC and the T-stat to about 80 - 85 to get the maximum heat-up rate. The A/C light will be "ON" since I am in RECIRC mode (to prevent moisture buildup and fogging), but the A/C won't really cool things down since I have the T-stat set to a warm-air setting.

Then, when the car is relatively warm, I turn the T-stat to about 75 and turn off the A/C button so it can't possibly come on.

The A/C is made available by the computer that controls it to help keep the windows from fogging up and to provide comfortable conditions within the car all year.

hth,
WayneTN
Old 01-26-2004, 07:29 AM
Daytona Blue Z in Bo

Thanks for the info guys, I know its not a big deal but you just get that feeling that the car is doing what it wants. I find myself glancing down at the A/C light now and then to make sure its off.

I just wish that you could just set it to a none "auto" mode and have it stay off unless pushed, I know it supposed to be helpful going on by itself but I think I am smart enough to regulate it when I think its fit. But again if this is all I can complain about then I should be thrilled!!
Old 01-26-2004, 07:39 AM
dchengmd

Remember, everyone - A/C does not automatically equal cold air. The only thing air conditioning does is dehumidify air (makes it dryer). In hot weather, dry cold air is very comfortable and helps wick away perspiration. In cold weather, dry warm air helps absorb moisture better, so you get faster defrosting of windows and windshield.

The temperature of the air that comes out with A/C on is set strictly with the temperature **** - that's it. I know it may sound confusing, since we all tend to attribute air conditioning with the summertime.

I agree with everyone above, though, about the Z's A/C - it's kind of annoying to have it turn on by itself every time you turn on the fan setting.
Old 01-26-2004, 07:46 AM
Daytona Blue Z in Bo

Originally posted by dchengmd
Remember, everyone - A/C does not automatically equal cold air. The only thing air conditioning does is dehumidify air (makes it dryer). In hot weather, dry cold air is very comfortable and helps wick away perspiration. In cold weather, dry warm air helps absorb moisture better, so you get faster defrosting of windows and windshield.

The temperature of the air that comes out with A/C on is set strictly with the temperature **** - that's it. I know it may sound confusing, since we all tend to attribute air conditioning with the summertime.
Yes I know this... When its cold and rainy I always use A/C with heat settings to prevent fogging.. But I do know alot of people that are boggled by the idea of putting on the A/C and heat settings together. When you menction it to them they make a face like this -->

Last edited by Daytona Blue Z in Bo; 01-26-2004 at 07:49 AM.
Old 01-26-2004, 08:26 AM
Scrapin 240

i agree that the A/C controls are crazy on the Z. Here in NY the are quality is not all that great and then when you put on the defroster the A/c comes on (the compressor does come on) but the kicker is that it will not allow me to use recirculate and its one of the most annoying things.
Old 01-26-2004, 08:41 AM
marhot

Default Read this?

I found this helpful...

AUTOMATIC OPERATION
Cooling and/or dehumidified heating
(AUTO)
This mode may be normally used all year round as the system automatically works to keep a constant temperature. Air flow distribution and fan speed are also controlled automatically.

1. Turn the fan control dial and air flow control dial to the AUTO position.
2. Turn the temperature control dial to set the desired temperature.
- Adjust the temperature to about 75°F (24°C) for normal operation.
- The temperature of the passenger compartment will be maintained automatically. Air
flow distribution and fan speed are also controlled automatically.

Heating (AUTO; A/C off)
The air conditioner does not activate. When you need to heat only, use this mode.

1. Turn the fan control dial and air flow control dial to the AUTO position.
2. Push the A/C button to turn off the air conditioner. (The A/C button indicator light will turn off.)
3. Turn the temperature control dial to set the desired temperature.
- The temperature of the passenger compartment will be maintained automatically. Air
flow distribution and fan speed are also controlled automatically.
- Do not set the temperature lower than the outside air temperature. Otherwise the system
may not work properly.
- Not recommended if windows fog up.

Dehumidified defrosting or defogging
1. Turn the fan control dial to the desired position.
2. Turn the air flow control dial to the DEF position.
3. Turn the temperature control dial to set the desired temperature.
- To quickly remove ice from the outside of the windows, turn the fan control dial to the
maximum position.
- As soon as possible after the windshield is clean, turn the air flow control dial to the AUTO position to return to the auto mode.
-I When the air flow control dial is turned to the or position, the air conditioner will automatically be turned on at outside temperatures above 23°F (-5°C) to defog the windshield, and the air recirculate mode will automatically be turned off.
Outside air is drawn into the passenger compartment to improve the defogging performance.

MANUAL OPERATION
Fan speed control
Turn the fan control dial to manually control the fan speed.
Turn the dial to the AUTO position to return to automatic control of the fan speed.

Air recirculation/Fresh air
Each time the air intake button is pushed, the indicator light on the button will alternate
(Air recirculation) and (Fresh air).
When the indicator light is on, the interior air is recirculated. (When the air recirculation
mode is selected with the A/C indicator off while the fan control dial is in the AUTO position, the
air conditioner will turn on.)
When the indicator light is on, the outside air is drawn into the passenger compartment.
- When the air intake button is pushed for longer than 1.5 seconds, both indicator lights
( and ) will flash twice, and then the intake air will be controlled automatically.
During this AUTO mode, the indicator light of the currently selected mode illuminates.
- I When the air flow control dial is in the or position, the air recirculation mode does not activate.
Old 01-26-2004, 08:42 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if the AC isnt on when the heat is on, your windows would quickly be fogged up. hot humid air... no good for you.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:03 AM
Montez

Yep the 350 is that way so is our 03 Max it does the same thing so it may be a recent Nissan thing, annoying if you ask me although.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:45 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone else wish for the old slide controls; simple, effective.
Old 01-26-2004, 11:36 AM
Daytona Blue Z in Bo

Default Re: Read this?

Originally posted by marhot
I found this helpful...

AUTOMATIC OPERATION
- When the air intake button is pushed for longer than 1.5 seconds, both indicator lights
( and ) will flash twice, and then the intake air will be controlled automatically.
During this AUTO mode, the indicator light of the currently selected mode illuminates.
I did not know this.. Not that I would probably use it but its good to know.

Last edited by Daytona Blue Z in Bo; 01-26-2004 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-26-2004, 02:01 PM
LemanZ Sunset

Isn't there an old myth that says if your A/C is running you lose power in the car b/c the compressor is running? Is there any truth to this? This is why I always try and keep it off in the winters b/c i don't need the A/C unless I am Defogging my windows.
Old 01-27-2004, 04:58 AM
Daytona Blue Z in Bo

Having the A/C on deffinatly reduces power since when the compresser clutch is engaged its another accessory to spin, also it reduces gas milage slightly (I actually dropped 1.5-2 mpg when testing a/c on vs off on the highway).

But having a torquey V6 makes it alot less noticiable, I used to have a Eclipse turbo and with the a/c on the turbo lag was 2-3 times as bad, I used to hate using the a/c unless it was so hot I felt like I was gonna pass out.

1 more example, this past hot summer my friend was at the 1/4 track waiting in line to race with his a/c on.. He had modded Celica GTS that ran typically 15.1-15.3, he left his a/c on and ran a 16.1!! A/C is murder on low torque engines..

Last edited by Daytona Blue Z in Bo; 01-27-2004 at 05:01 AM.