Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Is the HR worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 11:06 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by T_K
Unless you get a really good deal, and aren't paying someone to put it in, just get a real LSD the first time around. Total cost for me was around $200-250 and the unit itself only had around 20k miles.

If you do get the VLSD, you should consider the 370z carrier since it comes with a slightly shorter final drive. It'll shorten 2nd gear for autocross.
Thanks! I actually had no clue the 370Z LSD will fit in the 350Z.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:32 AM
Firebase99

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SQuaLZ
I really can't imagine my throttle is on 3 second delay.

I find that completely wrong. maybe half a second tops. Everybody would notice a 3 second delay really bad.

I would say in my experience MB has the biggest delays on their throttle and even they are not 3 seconds.
Exactly...like the car doesnt accelerate for 3 seconds? A diminished acceleration? What %, out of 100% "available" acceleration is used in this 3 second delay? I can feel a flash hesitation if i drop the hammer in idle, off the line. Feathering the clutch at 2500+ overcomes this slight bog. This car get to 60 sub 5 seconds...so not sure what kind of 3 second delay we are talking about.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:48 AM
350Zdj

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For all the 03-06 owners who wish they had an HR engine...

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-...uges-work.html
Old 08-28-2013, 12:06 PM
Nismo350z#0310

Received 562 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by 350Zdj
For all the 03-06 owners who wish they had an HR engine...

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-...uges-work.html
What a waste of money. Just go with an IPP shortblock stage 1 or 2. $3000 and you're capable of 650whp.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:22 PM
stuartc323

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fo real ^^
Old 08-28-2013, 12:30 PM
SQuaLZ

Originally Posted by Firebase99
Exactly...like the car doesnt accelerate for 3 seconds? A diminished acceleration? What %, out of 100% "available" acceleration is used in this 3 second delay? I can feel a flash hesitation if i drop the hammer in idle, off the line. Feathering the clutch at 2500+ overcomes this slight bog. This car get to 60 sub 5 seconds...so not sure what kind of 3 second delay we are talking about.
Exactly. I am on the throttle before I go off the line, it is called launching the car. Maybe AT owners have a problem but I don't.

Plus if this was true, there would be a 3 second delay after every shift.

Basically my conclusion is that this "factual information" is bull.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:37 PM
T_K

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really can't imagine my throttle is on 3 second delay.

I find that completely wrong. maybe half a second tops. Everybody would notice a 3 second delay really bad.

I would say in my experience MB has the biggest delays on their throttle and even they are not 3 seconds.
HR doesn't. Only VHR.

Is the HR worth it?-aify9s3.png

Log from HR. Compare that to the other one posted of VHR. TPS follows accelerator 1-to-1 on HR. There's a noticeable delay on the VHR. There's no delay above a certain engine speed, but it's there down low for VHR. Most 370Z/G37 enthusiast owners do notice a delay.

I'm making a clear distinction between HR and VHR, my posts are not typos. Also if you look at the first datalog of the VHR, at 4000RPM the TPS voltage spikes to max, it's presumably assumed that around 4000rpm is when the delay ceases to exist.

Last edited by T_K; 08-28-2013 at 08:06 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:01 PM
T_K

The point is it's something that exists on the VHR that doesn't on the DE and HR. What are you not understanding about this?

Your claim was that your 350Z felt faster to 30mph than your 370Z, and you attributed it to its supposed high torque output. I produced data logs that indicate that the TPS delay present at low rpm would affect the 0-30 "feel" of the 370Z.

0-60 is less affected since one would normally launch the car to achieve the fastest time possible. Unless you're implying that EVERY 0-30 you've ever done on your 370Z was done at launch RPM. On a day-to-day basis, the throttle lag would be ever present, making the 370Z "feel" more sluggish than your former 350Z.

Anyway, I'm done explaining this. The data logs are real, it's a documented issue in the 370Z/G37 community, enough so that UpRev has released a throttle fix for it with their software, and where users have tested it by modifying the throttle tables and/or disabling Electronic Throttle Control(ETC).

Somehow you're convinced that I'm talking sh*t about the VHR, or that it's somehow a less capable car.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:07 AM
Firebase99

Originally Posted by T_K
The point is it's something that exists on the VHR that doesn't on the DE and HR. What are you not understanding about this?

Your claim was that your 350Z felt faster to 30mph than your 370Z, and you attributed it to its supposed high torque output. I produced data logs that indicate that the TPS delay present at low rpm would affect the 0-30 "feel" of the 370Z.

0-60 is less affected since one would normally launch the car to achieve the fastest time possible. Unless you're implying that EVERY 0-30 you've ever done on your 370Z was done at launch RPM. On a day-to-day basis, the throttle lag would be ever present, making the 370Z "feel" more sluggish than your former 350Z.

Anyway, I'm done explaining this. The data logs are real, it's a documented issue in the 370Z/G37 community, enough so that UpRev has released a throttle fix for it with their software, and where users have tested it by modifying the throttle tables and/or disabling Electronic Throttle Control(ETC).

Somehow you're convinced that I'm talking sh*t about the VHR, or that it's somehow a less capable car.
ehhhh...no. I know its not, I drive a 370Z every day, theres no 3 second lag anywhere. Let alone accelerating Anyone else have a 370? Does anyone know anything about a 3 second lag?
Old 08-29-2013, 12:52 PM
SQuaLZ

ehhhh...no. I know its not, I drive a 370Z every day, theres no 3 second lag anywhere. Let alone accelerating Anyone else have a 370? Does anyone know anything about a 3 second lag?
I am sure that a lag does exist, as realistically all Drive-By-Wire vehicles have lag, but I really find it hard to believe that ANY car has a 3 second lag. That is a lifetime in terms of performance cars.

Basically if this was true, a GTR would be past 60 mph before a 370Z even started to move off the line. Highly doubt it.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:59 PM
stuartc323

I highly doubt this 3 second lag as well, we went and test drove a 370z the other day just for fun, and it reminds me of a more powerful 350z, nice extra bit of power, but there was no lag on the throttle
Old 08-29-2013, 03:37 PM
Nismo350z#0310

Received 562 Likes on 441 Posts

Thought this post was on the HR not VHR.

/thread, Jersey
Old 08-29-2013, 08:44 PM
T_K

I am sure that a lag does exist, as realistically all Drive-By-Wire vehicles have lag, but I really find it hard to believe that ANY car has a 3 second lag. That is a lifetime in terms of performance cars.

Basically if this was true, a GTR would be past 60 mph before a 370Z even started to move off the line. Highly doubt it.
It's not latency, it's a functional delay mapped into the throttle control table.

http://www.the370z.com/engine-drivet...ottle-lag.html

http://www.the370z.com/tuning/43384-...tle-uprev.html

It's known in the community. Look at the data logs, those aren't faked. You're going off past knowledge and speculation, I've presented data logs that show the difference in throttle trace between accelerator and TPS. And now I've linked relevant threads relating to the topic from a 370Z enthusiast forum.

All relevant empirical data indicates that there is a delay.

Below is at least one anecdotal report of a throttle delay, based on A/B driving of a VHR and then HR. Why did I exclude this originally? Because it's based on "feel", and there's no data to back it up. You can search the forum for more anecdotal cases and questions on possible "fixes".

http://www.the370z.com/engine-drivet...hr-vs-vhr.html

Read the data logs. Read the threads. Or you can be willfully ignorant. Entirely up to you. You're a single data point that insists that you don't "feel" a difference. I have at least one anecdotal report that reports the opposite and I can produce more links if you like. Instead let's call anecdotes a wash and you present some data logs of your car behaving differently than documented. Otherwise, just stop digging your hole deeper.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:07 PM
T_K

Originally Posted by stuartc323
I highly doubt this 3 second lag as well, we went and test drove a 370z the other day just for fun, and it reminds me of a more powerful 350z, nice extra bit of power, but there was no lag on the throttle
I should have been more specific with the conditions under which the lag apply. It has to be user applied WOT, below ~3000-4000RPM. There may also be a vehicle speed look up table that changes it as well once above a certain wheel speed.

Since it's only present under certain conditions, it's generally not something you would notice until you drove the car everyday. Notice how not a single review of the 370Z ever mentions it, as it's not something usually encountered during "performance" evaluation.

Quite frankly, I don't know how much more comprehensive I could make my presentation of the facts. I'll post the image again. Look at the accelerator pedal trace vs the throttle position trace. When the trace maxes out, it means full voltage, or WOT. TPS is passive sensor, it reads how much the throttle body is opened, and reports that back. It can't be delayed, it reports back exactly the current position of the TB based on how much the ECU has opened it. The ECU delays outputting max voltage to the TB, rather choosing to ramp it up.

Is the HR worth it?-n3g4fnt.png

Compare it to below.

Is the HR worth it?-aify9s3.png

The delay is not going to feel like the type of delay where an automatic transmission is hunting for the right gear. I think what everyone is thinking is that, when you apply WOT, that the car waits without doing anything for a couple seconds, then suddenly starts accelerating. That's a type of delay too, but not what's being described here. The continuous rise in the TPS voltage indicates that it is opening more and more, the issue is that it's not at the same rate as the accelerator pedal.

Last edited by T_K; 08-29-2013 at 09:13 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:18 PM
T_K

Anyway, ya'll can take that for what it's worth.

Thought I'd try and be helpful in General, but I guess that's not really welcome here.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:23 AM
Firebase99

Originally Posted by T_K
I should have been more specific with the conditions under which the lag apply. It has to be user applied WOT, below ~3000-4000RPM. There may also be a vehicle speed look up table that changes it as well once above a certain wheel speed.

Since it's only present under certain conditions, it's generally not something you would notice until you drove the car everyday. Notice how not a single review of the 370Z ever mentions it, as it's not something usually encountered during "performance" evaluation.

Quite frankly, I don't know how much more comprehensive I could make my presentation of the facts. I'll post the image again. Look at the accelerator pedal trace vs the throttle position trace. When the trace maxes out, it means full voltage, or WOT. TPS is passive sensor, it reads how much the throttle body is opened, and reports that back. It can't be delayed, it reports back exactly the current position of the TB based on how much the ECU has opened it. The ECU delays outputting max voltage to the TB, rather choosing to ramp it up.

Compare it to below.

The delay is not going to feel like the type of delay where an automatic transmission is hunting for the right gear. I think what everyone is thinking is that, when you apply WOT, that the car waits without doing anything for a couple seconds, then suddenly starts accelerating. That's a type of delay too, but not what's being described here. The continuous rise in the TPS voltage indicates that it is opening more and more, the issue is that it's not at the same rate as the accelerator pedal.
Ahh...well thats a bit more clear. However, theres no graph or any metrics that can describe a 3 second throttle delay so im still woefully in the dark as to what kind of delay this is. Obviously its not a WOT sprint to say 100MPH, i.e.Put in first gear, drop the hammer...wait three seconds while the pedal is floored and the car suddenly goes. Nor is it a rolling start like a merging on to a highway, upshifting from 2nd,3rd...then go WOT at top of third, wait three seconds for the power to kick and burst on to the highway. Can you give an example? Have you experienced it?
Old 08-30-2013, 03:33 AM
Firebase99

Originally Posted by T_K
Anyway, ya'll can take that for what it's worth.

Thought I'd try and be helpful in General, but I guess that's not really welcome here.
Not trying to be combative here and you are being helpful as I never heard of this issue prior. You mention the lag applies to WOT between 3 and 4K on the tach. Im 99.9% thats not accurate. The car is a rocket at those RPMS, pulls like a freight train. I THINK, my gut reaction was right to this. I think it might be the delay at idle and going WOT or say 60% WOT. There IS DEFINITELY a delay before it picks up and the power comes on. Ive looked at the VHR torque curves and its well, gutless at idle to like 2000 rpm. However, its not even remotely close to a 3 second lag time of power. Im thinking maybe a half second of lag? And half second is being extremely generous.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:51 AM
stuartc323

I just reread your posts andI see what your saying now, is there a way to increase the voltage to make the accelerator equal to the voltage the engine receives when you press on the gas?

Last edited by stuartc323; 08-30-2013 at 07:54 AM.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:18 AM
Firebase99

Originally Posted by stuartc323
I just reread your posts andI see what your saying now, is there a way to increase the voltage to make the accelerator equal to the voltage the engine receives when you press on the gas?
Do you have a 370? If so do you understand my post about that microsecond lag at idle to WOT?
Old 08-30-2013, 03:38 PM
calidrew909

you guys are getting very technical

Quick Reply: Is the HR worth it?