Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Is the HR worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 10:38 AM
HR.R-CING

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RENFRO
I agree for the most part minus a stock HR vs a Modded DE. Depends on how extensively it's modded. A full bolt on DE with cams is nothing to shrug off. Point still being, I agree, if the OP can afford an HR he should get one.
I agree man, but my gosh..
what you said -- it starts this:

that FULLY BOLT ON CAMMED TUNED DE pulls a stock HR by what..?
there's no winning. spend x-amount of $ just to make a DE a car or maybe 2.5 faster or spend the little extra for an HR and spend half what you put into the DE to beat a FULLY BOLT ON CAMMED de by a few cars..

HR-Z

if the OP's budget is this tight... you may want to rethink a civic.

because seriously, this is an easy thread.

HR
Old 08-15-2013, 11:29 AM
RENFRO

Received 112 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by HR.R-CING
I agree man, but my gosh..
what you said -- it starts this:

that FULLY BOLT ON CAMMED TUNED DE pulls a stock HR by what..?
there's no winning. spend x-amount of $ just to make a DE a car or maybe 2.5 faster or spend the little extra for an HR and spend half what you put into the DE to beat a FULLY BOLT ON CAMMED de by a few cars..

HR-Z

if the OP's budget is this tight... you may want to rethink a civic.

because seriously, this is an easy thread.

HR
Yeah, that's fair. I'd certainly not suggest a civic over a DE Z though! I think I've mainly just stuck with my DE because I'm curious as to what the Z35 will end up with, and I'm just in love with my 03. I love getting compliments and seeing the face's of people when I tell them it was built in Nov 2002.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:37 AM
HR.R-CING

nah, im just saying to the OP that if his/her wallet is that tight on a car in gereral, a sportscar may not be for him/her.

he needs to realize tires will go before an economy civic.
gas.
insurance.
list goes on.

gotta pay to play. make sure you can pay.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:38 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,127 Likes on 6,580 Posts

replacing tires definately, i have to replace the rears about every year..
Old 08-15-2013, 11:54 AM
RENFRO

Received 112 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by HR.R-CING
nah, im just saying to the OP that if his/her wallet is that tight on a car in gereral, a sportscar may not be for him/her.

he needs to realize tires will go before an economy civic.
gas.
insurance.
list goes on.

gotta pay to play. make sure you can pay.
Valid points. Definitely is costly in the maintenance department. Tires will get you too.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:15 PM
stuartc323

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tires all the time, brakes and fluids if your mechanically retarded
Old 08-15-2013, 03:41 PM
Nismo350z#0310

Received 562 Likes on 441 Posts

no need to change tires as much as yall are saying unless racecar. youngbloods
Old 08-15-2013, 03:51 PM
stuartc323

Originally Posted by Nismo350z#0310

Im used to it from having a truck but he will have to change tires more than a normal car
Old 08-15-2013, 08:13 PM
HR.R-CING

"youngbloods" comment was unnecessary to be honest, but no worries, one bit.
I take that as in I can't drive and I don't know what i'm doing. I know i'm "newer" around here, but please, take that with a grain of salt.

mine..?!
racecar/daily driver #2. But you're also discounting the driver.
-as i'm sure you know, a good driver can do wonders to any car.

And no, we aren't talking about dumping the clutch and burning rubber to wear out the tires. That's retarded.

Real driving.
-Check out Z1's youtube vid at Roebling. That's what i'm talking about. The man behind that wheel can drive the **** out of that Z.. my example on tires.
I go to Roebling and CMP since i'm down here in chuck. I want to catch Z1 there at some point!!!!
-I never have.
We ALL know no one likes it on this site, but WE ALL KNOW an empty street is also a quick road course as well. see example on Z1. <- no more on that.

To put back on subject, OP just needs to look at a decent HR vs DE, look at his/her funds, seriously check them, and if you can get an HR, DO IT, if not, get a DE.. if you're struggling to get a DE, buy an economy car IF in need and wait for HR to drop in a couple years or 370z etc.

Also to OP, a bone stock HR-Z with a little weight reduction and wheels will pull a new BMW 335is with wheels.

friend vs myself at a track out of 5 times a year ago. My Z won every time, even with him driving it, although it was much closer, but still the same time around his time with his own car. Running VERY low 13's. STOCK. I drove his car twice. All same results, pretty much.. Never going to be the exact same.
They're supposed to run 13.1-3.. and we were both in that ball park.

driver. learn your car.
i've held my car at redline so many times just to see, NO BS, ba ba ba ba ba lol, VQ35HR is a machine. You will LOVE it.

HR.R-CING
Old 08-16-2013, 03:00 AM
Firebase99

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE=RENFRO;10197169

[B]You never really see any speed at an auto-x. In theory, and on paper, a DE would perform better at an auto-x due to its higher torque. No need to beat it to death.[/B]

Im not too sure about that. I had a DE, and loved it, still prefer it over the RevUp but technically I think a RevUp is a bit faster around a track due to higher redline. Many moons ago R&T, motorTrend, one of the mags featured the 06 vs an 03 or 04 around a test track and the 06 was a second quicker.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:37 AM
stuartc323

[QUOTE=Firebase99;10198701]
Originally Posted by RENFRO;10197169

[B
You never really see any speed at an auto-x. In theory, and on paper, a DE would perform better at an auto-x due to its higher torque. No need to beat it to death.[/B]

Im not too sure about that. I had a DE, and loved it, still prefer it over the RevUp but technically I think a RevUp is a bit faster around a track due to higher redline. Many moons ago R&T, motorTrend, one of the mags featured the 06 vs an 03 or 04 around a test track and the 06 was a second quicker.

I can see that from the fact that as soon as a DE gets close to the redline the gas starts to cut out, not good when your trying to get maximum powah
Old 08-16-2013, 06:42 AM
Firebase99

[QUOTE=stuartc323;10198812]
Originally Posted by Firebase99

I can see that from the fact that as soon as a DE gets close to the redline the gas starts to cut out, not good when your trying to get maximum powah
Yea thats a given and the problem, the RevUp has another 400RPM before that, its maybe a tick or two slower to 60, but you can hold it longer coming out of the corners, etc.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:07 AM
idontwan2know

I find the comments about the DE having more torque interesting.

In the dyno sheets I've seen, the DE has a slightly higher peak torque, but the curves are similar until 4k rpms or so where the HR maintains a much higher level of torque while the DE falls off sharply.

Maybe the dyno results I'm looking at are not typical but it seems to me that the HR has superior torque delivery even if the DE peaks a bit higher.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:39 AM
Nismo350z#0310

Received 562 Likes on 441 Posts

fuel cut is for engine safety.

Also, the argument that the HR has less torque should be a mute point on the fact the SAE standards changed in 2007. The 306hp is really higher, no one has been able to prove the actual amount. Lets guess: 315-320? If so, the torque number also has to change (on the same percentage increase), from 268 to 276-278. Same amount as the DE. Even if it were still 8 torque less, 8 torque is peanuts. Peanuts. But none the less the fact is by the same SAE standards for the DE, the HR has the same amount or more.

The delivery characteristics of power matter as well. If you are delivering 8 less torque but delivering it at a much longer rate it could still result in more power. And the HR delivers it longer.

But I digress.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:01 PM
Firebase99

fuel cut is for engine safety.

Also, the argument that the HR has less torque should be a mute point on the fact the SAE standards changed in 2007. The 306hp is really higher, no one has been able to prove the actual amount. Lets guess: 315-320? If so, the torque number also has to change (on the same percentage increase), from 268 to 276-278. Same amount as the DE. Even if it were still 8 torque less, 8 torque is peanuts. Peanuts. But none the less the fact is by the same SAE standards for the DE, the HR has the same amount or more.

The delivery characteristics of power matter as well. If you are delivering 8 less torque but delivering it at a much longer rate it could still result in more power. And the HR delivers it longer.

But I digress.
All this relevant, however, the old DE's ARE the lightest of the Z's with the most TQ. Thats why Im telling you, my old DE was faster than my 370Z to 30 or so. After that, no contest but that thing fricking shot out of the hole!!
Old 08-19-2013, 04:33 PM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Firebase99
All this relevant, however, the old DE's ARE the lightest of the Z's with the most TQ. Thats why Im telling you, my old DE was faster than my 370Z to 30 or so. After that, no contest but that thing fricking shot out of the hole!!
And a Prius is faster then a Z to 2 feet due to instant power. Who cares what car is faster to 30.

"Hey dude my car is so much faster to the local street speed limit!"

Reminds me of the race in Ali G in the House.

And speaking about the weight difference, it is nothing. Either way the Z is a heavy dog, what is an extra 150 lbs? Calculate the power to weight ratio of the DE model and HR model then post back.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:36 PM
Firebase99

Originally Posted by SQuaLZ
And a Prius is faster then a Z to 2 feet due to instant power. Who cares what car is faster to 30.

And speaking about the weight difference, it is nothing. Either way the Z is a heavy dog, what is an extra 150 lbs? Calculate the power to weight ratio of the DE model and HR model then post back.
LOL, good point. I dont care. I dont even know this started. I still find it amusing/interesting illuminating experiences through two different cars with the same bloodline.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:26 AM
stuartc323

150 pounds is a lot to feel a difference in the car. Dont believe me? fill up your gas tank to full and than drive it when it gets to a quarter of a tank, you can feel the difference in the weight. The Zs weigh 3200 to 3300 pounds, lose 150 to 250 and your at 3050 close to FRS/BRZ weight and porsche turbo weights. Not saying The DE is better because its lighter, but if you reduced the weight in your HR Z, you would absolutely feel a difference, especially 150 pounds.

Last edited by stuartc323; 08-20-2013 at 07:29 AM.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:34 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by stuartc323
150 pounds is a lot to feel a difference in the car. Dont believe me? fill up your gas tank to full and than drive it when it gets to a quarter of a tank, you can feel the difference in the weight. The Zs weigh 3200 to 3300 pounds, lose 150 to 250 and your at 3050 close to FRS/BRZ weight and porsche turbo weights. Not saying The DE is better because its lighter, but if you reduced the weight in your HR Z, you would absolutely feel a difference, especially 150 pounds.
I felt the difference in my civic between having a passenger or just me in the car, but not in my Z. I know every lb counts but my point was the power to weight ratio is better in the HR then DE.

With that being said, at my last autox event my fastest time was with a passenger, and he was a pretty big guy. Maybe his weight helped me with traction lol.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:14 PM
Jonnoh

I felt the difference in my civic between having a passenger or just me in the car, but not in my Z.
lol, I remember 13 years ago in my Integra. hated taking people anywhere.

Quick Reply: Is the HR worth it?